Four Americans killed in Libya

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:57 pm

I've seen more than one report that the Ambassador either died from suffocation or smoke inhalation.The pictures do not show him being dragged, he's being carried. Could they possibly show him being rescued?It could well be. Regardless, they are awful pictures. This man was someone's son, maybe brother, maybe uncle, maybe husband. To republish death pictures of an innocent American who died in service to his Country is perhaps the lowest thing she's ever done (or maybe tied with harassing a dead baby's parents).

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:01 pm

He said the man who identified himself as Bacile asked him to help make the anti-Muhammad film. When I asked him to describe Bacile, he said: "I don't know that much about him. I met him, I spoke to him for an hour. He's not Israeli, no. I can tell you this for sure, the State of Israel is not involved, Terry Jones (the radical Christian Quran-burning pastor) is not involved. His name is a pseudonym. All these Middle Eastern folks I work with have pseudonyms. I doubt he's Jewish. I would suspect this is a disinformation campaign."I asked him who he thought Sam Bacile was. He said that there are about 15 people associated with the making of the film, "Nobody is anything but an active American citizen. They're from Syria, Turkey, Pakistan, they're some that are from Egypt. Some are Copts but the vast majority are Evangelical."What are we to make of Steve Klein's assertions? I'm taking everything about this strange and horrible episod with a grain of salt, though I will say that I haven't seen any proof yet that Sam Bacile is an actual Israeli Jew, or that the name is anything other than a pseudonym. More to come, undoubtedly.goldberg at the atlantic.[/break1]theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/09/muhammad-film-consultant-sam-bacile-is-not-israeli-and-not-a-real-name/262290/]http://m.theatlantic.com/international/ ... me/262290/

Litlebritdifrnt2

Post by Litlebritdifrnt2 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:04 pm

Smirking Mitt[/break1]tumblr.com/]http://smirkingmitt.tumblr.com/

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:05 pm

[/break1]cnn.com/2012/09/12/world/africa/libya-attack-jihadists/index.html?hpt=hp_c1]CNN(CNN) -- A pro-al Qaeda group responsible for a previous armed assault on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi is the chief suspect in Tuesday's attack that killed the U.S. ambassador to Libya, sources tracking militant Islamist groups in eastern Libya say.They also note that the attack immediately followed a call from al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri for revenge for the death in June of a senior Libyan member of the terror group Abu Yahya al-Libi.The group suspected to be behind the assault -- the Imprisoned Omar Abdul Rahman Brigades -- first surfaced in May, when it claimed responsibility for an attack on the International Red Cross office in Benghazi. The following month the group claimed responsibility for detonating an explosive device outside the U.S. Consulate, and later released a video of that attack.Noman Benotman, once a leading member of the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group and now based at the Quilliam Foundation in London told CNN, "An attack like this would likely have required preparation. This would not seem to be merely a protest which escalated."

¡Qué vergüenza!

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:08 pm

I cannot see how the First Amendment could be stretched so thin as to protect the equivalent of setting off a bomb or setting fire to a forest. Of course, at this point, we don't know don't enough to connect the dots. We do know there are those who are more than ready to use the opportunity to inflame and provoke.

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:16 pm

The First Amendment does not protect speech which is intended to incite imminent lawless action and which, in fact, is likely to do so. Brandenburg v. Ohio, 395 U.S. 444 (1969).

One is generally not responsible for the criminal acts of others. Further, it is often difficult to prove intent. However, this speaker has indicated he was entirely aware imminent lawless action would result from his actions, and chose to perform them regardless.

Whether or not he could be convicted, which would require proving intent, if he is, in fact, not a United States citizen, I believe he could quite legally be deported as an undesirable alien. Enough of these scumbags.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:29 pm

If the murder of our diplomats in Libya turns out to be an Al Qaeda operation, which is looking more and more likely, Mitt Romney's attempts to politicize it last night will doom his campaign and mark him as the incompetent dilettante he is in foreign relations. I, for one, think the anti-Islamic film was a false flag diversion.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:43 pm

¡Qué vergüenza!

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:44 pm

Agree. The film appears to have been aimed at Arabic speakers and not for US viewers. There's more reporting the the attack in Benghazi was planned and not a spontaneous rioting mob.The pictures of the ambassador being 'dragged through the streets' has been captioned as being civilians trying to help the unconscious man on sfgate. This is not "Black Hawk Down." [/break1]sfgate.com/news/article/US-ambassador-killed-in-consulate-attack-in-Libya-3856652.php#photo-3443816]http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/US-a ... to-3443816

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:46 pm

I've seen more than one report that the Ambassador either died from suffocation or smoke inhalation.The pictures do not show him being dragged, he's being carried. Could they possibly show him being rescued?It could well be. Regardless, they are awful pictures. This man was someone's son, maybe brother, maybe uncle, maybe husband. To republish death pictures of an innocent American who died in service to his Country is perhaps the lowest thing she's ever done (or maybe tied with harassing a dead baby's parents).Here, [/break1]ap.org/dynamic/stories/P/PROPHET_FILM?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-09-12-12-35-16]http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/P/ ... 2-12-35-16He was taken to a hospital, not dragged thru the streets.Hours after the storming of the consulate, a separate group of gunmen attacked the other building, opening fire on the more than 30 Americans and Libyans inside. Two more Americans were killed and 32 wounded - 14 Americans and 18 Libyans, he said.Stevens, he added, was visiting Benghazi to inaugurate an American culture center in the city. His body was identified by his Egyptian interpreter. There was no immediate confirmation of al-Sharef's account.Dr. Ziad Abu Zeid, who treated Stevens, told The Associated Press that he died of asphyxiation, apparently from smoke. In a sign of the chaos during the attack, Stevens was brought by Libyans to the Benghazi Medical Center with no other Americans, and no one at the facility knew who he was, Abu Zeid said.Stevens was practically dead when he arrived before 1 a.m. Wednesday, and "we tried to revive him for an hour and a half, but with no success," Abu Zeid said. The ambassador was bleeding in his stomach because of the asphyxiation but had no other injuries, he said.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:51 pm

Thanks GG. I was quoting Taitz, not adopting her claim as truthful. And she's dead ass wrong, as usual. I still am horrified that she posted those pictures. There's almost something gleeful in her rants today. Sickening.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:00 pm

Of course Taitz is gleeful. She hates America and everything about it. She is an Israeli first and always. Her hatred of President Obama derives from her paranoid fears that he will be (has been) bad for Israel.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:00 pm

Thanks GG. I was quoting Taitz, not adopting her claim as truthful. And she's dead ass wrong, as usual. I still am horrified that she posted those pictures. There's almost something gleeful in her rants today. Sickening.If she wants war, do ya think she'll be willing to send her three sons?

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:04 pm

[/break1]com/2012/09/meet-the-right-wing-extremist-behind-anti-muslim-film-that-sparked-deadly-riots/]Max BlumenthalWhile Bacile claims to be in hiding, and his identity remains murky, another character who has been publicly listed as a consultant on the film is a known anti-Muslim activist with ties to the extreme Christian right and the militia movement. He is Steve Klein, a Hemet, California based insurance salesman who claims to have led a “hunter-killer team” in Vietnam.”Klein is a right-wing extremist who emerged from the same axis of Islamophobia that produced Anders Behring Breivik and which takes inspiration from the writings of Robert Spencer, Pamela Geller, and Daniel Pipes.It appears Klein (or someone who shares his name and views) is an enthusiastic commenter on Geller’s website, Atlas Shrugged, where he recently complained about Mitt Romney’s “support for a Muslim state in Israel’s Heartland.” In July 2011, Spencer’s website, Jihad Watch, promoted a rally Klein organized alongside the anti-Muslim Coptic extremist Joseph Nasrallah to demand the firing of LA County Sheriff Lee Baca, whom they painted as a dupe for Hamas.Klein is also closely affiliated with the Christian right in California, organizing resentment against all the usual targets — Muslims, homosexuals, feminists, and even Mormons. He is a board member and founder of a group called Courageous Christians United, which promotes anti-Mormon, anti-Catholic and anti-Muslim literature (including the work of Robert Spencer) on its website. In 2002, Klein ran for the California Insurance Commissioner under the American Independent Party, an extremist fringe party linked to the militia movement, garnering a piddling 2 percent of the vote. ...Klein claims credit for inspiring “Sam Bacile” to produce “The Innocence of Muslims,” promising him he would be “the next Theo Van Gogh,” referring to the Dutch columnist who was murdered by a Muslim extremist. Of the attacks in Libya, Klein said, “We went into this knowing this was probably going to happen.”

¡Qué vergüenza!

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:12 pm

I doubt "Bacile" exists.

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:27 pm

Thanks GG. I was quoting Taitz, not adopting her claim as truthful. And she's dead ass wrong, as usual. I still am horrified that she posted those pictures. There's almost something gleeful in her rants today. Sickening.Frankly, she screeches more than Mitt, but Mitt is just as disgustingly gleeful.He showed today he not only doesn't give a shit about our diplomats abroad, but is even willing to endanger them in a bungled attempt to get a bump in the polls. He is clearly incompetent even to run his own political campaign, much less actually be President.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:27 pm

He died at the hospital and Fox is reporting the doctors called his cause of death suffocation from smoke inhalation even though he had other injuries.Of course Fox would say that.The attending physician says otherwise.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:32 pm

This report says he had no other injuries.Stevens was practically dead when he arrived before 1 a.m. Wednesday, and "we tried to revive him for an hour and a half, but with no success," Abu Zeid said. The ambassador was bleeding in his stomach because of the asphyxiation but had no other injuries, he said.[/break1]sfgate.com/news/article/US-ambassador-killed-in-consulate-attack-in-Libya-3856652.php#photo-3443816]www.sfgate.com/news/article/US-ambassad ... to-3443816We need some time to get a clearer picture of what happened and who is responsible.One thing is clear. Romney is dangerous and irresponsible. He has no business in charge of our foreign policy. He hasn't a clue about the value of diplomacy or international relationships. He surrounded himself with neo-cons and that's all he has to fall back on.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:52 pm

Our divided and walled-off media at it again. Each side getting a different set of 'facts.'

Litlebritdifrnt2

Post by Litlebritdifrnt2 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:38 pm

On Twitter just now Nate Silver ‏@fivethirtyeightIt seems like we can't even rule out the possibility that the people behind the attacks were responsible for the "film"

DaveMuckey

Post by DaveMuckey » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:41 pm

I doubt "Bacile" exists.That was confirmed by the "consultant" Klein. It's a psuedonym.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:59 pm

I doubt "Bacile" exists.That was confirmed by the "consultant" Klein. It's a psuedonym.More doubts here:[/break1]sfgate.com/news/article/Anti-Islam-filmmaker-s-identity-claims-in-doubt-3858080.php]http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Anti ... 858080.phpThis is looking like part of a plan.

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”