Election Day - Tuesday, November 4, 2014 - TODAY!

Roboe

Post by Roboe » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:02 am

Veto has now entered President Obama's vocabulary. Otherwise, it'll be same old gridlock.

Haven't you heard? Cruz et al has promised they will work with president to let law after law flow through congress. Im sure those laws will be compromises that everyone can support, like repealing/defunding ACA, tax cuts for the wealthy, XL Keystone pipleines for everyone, only doctors with 45 years of experience may perform abortions, etc.

Surely the Democrats won't object to such compromising legislation? :roll:

Jocelyn9596

Post by Jocelyn9596 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:32 am

To all the Dems who ran as Republican lites a big fuck you. How did running away from a record high stock market, the ACA, and under 6% unemployment work out for you?

I couldn't agree more, RC. In fact, I feel like the DCCC has let the President down since day one. They ran away whenever they were questioned rather than working together with a cohesive message for, not only the party, but the country as a whole. While I can't stand the way the GOP will echo each other verbatim with their talking points, the DCCC needs to take a page from their book and work together as a group. If they had been talking about all the accomplishments under President Obama including healthcare for all, decreasing the deficit by almost 7 points, repealing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell", signed executive provisions for the Fairpay Act because the GOP refused to act on it, allowing women to feel more secure in asking about pay and now unable to be fired for the same, making mortgage refinancing more affordable, increasing minimum wage for federal workers to $10.10 and so many other positive steps, I couldn't possibly list them all.

If the Dems had used these points, emphasizing all the positive that has been done under PBO's watch, they could have then gone on to speak about goals for the next Congress, including infrastructure funding which would serve to benefit the country in so many ways, including the creation of more long term jobs, revision of the tax act and more. Instead, we heard little or nothing about what has been accomplished. In their efforts to distance themselves from an accomplished President, they only hurt themselves even further. We need new leadership in the DCCC that will reach out to re-establish themselves with discouraged party members and develop new members, especially the younger voter. They won't reach younger voters without a message and many older members were likely turned off by candidates that refused to even acknowledge the President. I think Allison Lundergan Grimes may have hurt herself with the Dems by refusing to admit she even voted for PBO. Why couldn't she say, "Of course I voted for him. I certainly didn't want Mitt Romney or John McCain in office when their positions are in direct contrast to all we stand for as a party."? I never heard the term "Clinton Democrat" until she uttered it. Unfortunately, I think many other candidates in the DCCC would have liked to have used it if they thought it would help them in red states. We don't see the GOP turning on each other like that. I'm stepping down from my soapbox now, still pissed about an election that could have been so much better for the Dems if only we had positive-thinking Democratic leaders!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:16 am

To all the Dems who ran as Republican lites a big fuck you. How did running away from a record high stock market, the ACA, and under 6% unemployment work out for you?

My sentiments exactly. Maybe SPen will come back and tell us how great it was that the Dems raised so much money and misspent every nickel of it. :angry:

I agree with every word Jocelyn wrote, too. Dammit.

... and how does that make you feel?
What is it you are trying to say?
:think:

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:26 am

Why would I want to give money to people who so thoughtlessly piss it away on anything that loses.

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Adrianinflorida

Post by Adrianinflorida » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:33 am

Ted Cruz? Compromise? THAT is funny. It's going to be 2 more years, exactly like the past almost 6. Gridlock, nothing passed, no appointments approved, toothless votes to defend anything the President has stood for and filibuster threats.

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:47 am

I wonder it this will put some balls back on some nutter lawyer to take up the House Suit against the President for being President.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:15 am

Interesting. Now we get to watch what happens when Professional Obstructionists are in the Majority.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:08 am

I'm sure the pugs are going to take it to new heights and obstruct themselves.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:34 am

Congrats to Hawaii and Alaska for their "got some balls" voters. Shame on all those who voted against their own interests, but mostly eat it and suffer to those who didn't bother to get out and vote. This is what apathy gets you. For those of us who went to extraordinary effort, in time, miles and money to vote, shame on those who let their mail-in ballots sit on the coffee table, or simply blew off a trip to the polls.

I agree with many above that Dems running away from the many, many accomplishments of President Obama hurt Dems badly.

Time for some spark and fire moving forward to 2016, and for me it won't be Hillary.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:17 am

Over under on the filibuster getting tossed the second that McConnel gets the gavel, anyone?

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

June bug

Post by June bug » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:50 am

I'm going to bed and I'm not getting up until 2017.Quelle horreur! You think it's been bad for the last 6 years? Baby, winter is coming.Sadly, I completely agree with kate... To all the Dems who ran as Republican lites a big fuck you. How did running away from a record high stock market, the ACA, and under 6% unemployment work out for you?My sentiments exactly. Maybe SPen will come back and tell us how great it was that the Dems raised so much money and misspent every nickel of it. :angry: I agree with every word Jocelyn wrote, too. Dammit.Even more sadly, here too... Daily Kos:12:01 AM PT (David Jarman): Finally: Big lesson from today is that Republicans win big when seniors dominate the electorate. I’m sure that’s a winning long-term strategy— @markosI heard this conventional wisdom from folks like kos last mid-term too, but IMO they're whistling past the graveyard. The Republican strategy doesn't need to be long-term. They just need to maintain that edge till they can achieve what I believe is their ultimate goal: a corporate theocracy. So far they're managing, helped by the failure of the left to convince younger, minority and female voters to turn out. Plus, in no small measure, thanks to successful campaigns of voter suppression in Republican-controlled states that have been given a pass by the Supremes. I'm really not sure that our democratic form of government will survive this. I think I'll just stay in Hawaii for awhile....Me too...

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:54 am

Talking Points Memo has a summary of the awfulness:

How Bad Was It For Democrats?

¡Qué vergüenza!

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:05 am

I heard this conventional wisdom from folks like kos last mid-term too, but IMO they're whistling past the graveyard. The Republican strategy doesn't need to be long-term. They just need to maintain that edge till they can achieve what I believe is their ultimate goal: a corporate theocracy. So far they're managing, helped by the failure of the left to convince younger, minority and female voters to turn out. Plus, in no small measure, thanks to successful campaigns of voter suppression in Republican-controlled states that have been given a pass by the Supremes. I'm really not sure that our democratic form of government will survive this.

I agree, largely. The republicans are NOT behaving like they are working on a long term strategy. They must know the same as anyone else that in the long term their demographics are in the crapper. They are working on a short term strategy of getting their present base motivated enough to get to the polls in massive numbers rather than reaching out to new people. They did it in 2010 with the help of large sections of the Progressives who were bitching about Obama's "betrayals", and then they instituted a massive round of Gerrymandering to cement their control of congress for the next 10 years. They did it so blatantly that it had to be deliberate.

When people are trying so hard to get elected in the short term and in a way that actually damages their long term chances, then they are planning for the long term to mot matter much or to gain an unassailable advantage long term.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:08 am

TPM Breaks down the numbers at the polls.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/cafe/what- ... ratic-vote

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:10 am

The gridlock will not look the same. Before, the House and Senate could not get together to pass legislation. Now, that won't be much of a problem and some regressive bills are going to land on the president's desk. He will have to sign some of them to keep the government running. No doubt he will find many opportunities to use the presidential veto.

They can keep the impeachment talk going to distract, but all they can really do is threaten since there are no real grounds. But the distraction will serve its purpose. The Senate chairmanship changes will be drastic. And then, there is the Supreme Court as well as other federal judges.

The swing state swung for Obama and now they have swung back in the other direction. It's going to be a long, painful two years. I keep looking for a silver lining, but not finding much. California re-elected Jerry Brown and he won without having to campaign or spend money plus he got two initiatives passed that will help for the future bad times.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:14 am

Interesting comments on TPM that I largely agree with

Democrats, inexplicably, didn't understand the dynamics of the midterm. It's well known that turnout is lower in off years and especially lower among people who lack strong identification with either party.

The R's get this and focus on turning out their base. For some reason the D's decided to take their base for granted - not just their "progressive" base but their larger, real base - and put all their energy into capturing swing voters by being milquetoast and not taking stands on issues like war, immigration, or the environment.

That might work in a Presidential year but there are a lot less swing votes to be had in off years. It should be obvious.

Pretty simple. Progressives bashed Democrats moreso than Republicans, and the moderate voters didn't show up as a result. Can't win any election without moderate voters, and the sooner progressives accept that fact and reality, the better. Increasing turnout is key, and progressives didn't do shit to increase turnout.

BillTheCat

Post by BillTheCat » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:32 am

Welp, I'm done with politics for the next year or more. No more cable news, no more MSNBC or even Rachel, no more any of it. I don't want to hear McConnel's smarmy turtle face smirking and screwing over this country, or his enablers in the MSM. I've had it. This country is now beyond fucked, and a should-have-been-great President has now had his legs cut out from under him for the remainder of what should have been a HISTORIC and PRODUCTIVE presidency. But no, they could not allow that, a black man being in THEIR White House. They decided this on DAY 1.

I'll stick with local politics and specifically Northern California where the majority of voters aren't willful, self-destructing idiots who hate our President because he's fucking BLACK.

Yeh, I'm beyond pissed and enraged. :angry: If anyone has ever seen "Idiocracy", well, that's what we are now. Quite fucking literally.

WTF is WRONG with people in this country? I'm fucking done. [-( /rant

'But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'
-Lewis Carroll

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:46 am

My state has 6,627,947 registered voters, according to the State Board of Elections.

Only ~ 2,700,000 of them voted in this election. That's roughly 40%. The other 60% stayed home. :angry:

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:48 am

President Obama came to Connecticut on Nov. 2 to campaign for Democratic candidates, as did Michelle Obama earlier. Despite that support from the Obamas, Connecticut Governor Malloy seems likely to win re-election; his Republican opponent has said that he will "probably" lose. With 93% of precincts reporting, Malloy's margin of victory looks likely to be higher than four years ago.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:50 am

Welp, I'm done with politics for the next year or more. No more cable news, no more MSNBC or even Rachel, no more any of it. I don't want to hear McConnel's smarmy turtle face smirking and screwing over this country, or his enablers in the MSM. I've had it. This country is now beyond fucked, and a should-have-been-great President has now had his legs cut out from under him for the remainder of what should have been a HISTORIC and PRODUCTIVE presidency. But no, they could not allow that, a black man being in THEIR White House. They decided this on DAY 1.

I'll stick with local politics and specifically Northern California where the majority of voters aren't willful, self-destructing idiots who hate our President because he's fucking BLACK.

Yeh, I'm beyond pissed and enraged. :angry: If anyone has ever seen "Idiocracy", well, that's what we are now. Quite fucking literally.

WTF is WRONG with people in this country? I'm fucking done. [-( /rant

Sadly, I agree. For me it will be cooking channels like Elgormet here, and whatever they have back in the US when I get there. I am profoundly sad. I a feeling a deep loss, and while I feel like President Obama is partly responsible for not pounding the podium and street more, I feel very badly for a man who did everything he could to pull this country out of the drink and their heads out of their ass, but because he is blahhhhhk, he was thwarted from the beginning. So much for trying to compromise. Lesson learned. Fucking hit them with your best shot Elizabeth Warren.

BillTheCat

Post by BillTheCat » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:53 am

It's going to be 2 more years, exactly like the past almost 6.

No it won't. It's going to be far, far worse. Count on it.

'But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'
-Lewis Carroll

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:03 pm

Results were extremely positive for Democrats in Rhode Island despite the fact that President Obama spoke there only four days before the election.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:07 pm

Ted Cruz? Compromise? THAT is funny. It's going to be 2 more years, exactly like the past almost 6. Gridlock, nothing passed, no appointments approved, toothless votes to defend anything the President has stood for and filibuster threats. Ted Cruz poised to make life miserable for Mitch McConnellMitch McConnell could very well become the Senate majority leader after Tuesday's midterm elections, but don't count on Ted Cruz to make it an easy transition for the Kentucky Republican.Cruz, a Republican senator from Texas who's eying a 2016 presidential bid, all but promised to raise hell next year should his party control the Senate................While Cruz has campaigned for many mainstream Republican candidates this year, his new comments indicate he's aiming to re-claim the mantle of Republican insurgent, a role that helped define his first year in the Senate in 2013.The first priority next year, he told the Post, should be a string of hearings on President Barack Obama, "looking at the abuse of power, the executive abuse, the regulatory abuse, the lawlessness that sadly has pervaded this administration." <SNIP> I am not able to post the video.http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/03/politics/ ... index.html

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:18 pm

While I'm ticked about the Dems who "distanced" themselves from the President, I'm really not terribly upset about the results, for several reasons.

1. President Obama has shown me a resiliency and a long track record of accomplishments in the face of total obstruction. He passed the Porkulus without a single Republican vote. He passed ObamaCare without a single Republican vote. He finds a way to win. His job is going to be a lot tougher now. He's going to have to veto some bills. They may even try to impeach him. But he's still a winner and I don't expect that to change.

2. The Republicans are going to have to govern now. They're going to do a very bad job of governing, and people are going to notice. I think the pendulum will swing the other way in 2016. Shutting the government down isn't governing. Impeaching the president isn't governing. They're going to have to govern now, while refusing to cooperate with the president in the slightest degree. I don't think they're capable of it.

3. Demographics are going to catch up with the Republican Party sooner rather than later.

4. They're not going to repeal ObamaCare. My wife and I are going to be successful health insurance agents again this year and next and the year after that. My plan is to survive and thrive.

5. And heck, the birthers are in a state of ecstasy over the results. Not a single birther was elected to Congress, but they're all confident that Arpaio and Zullo have been waiting for this moment and will surely act to remove that Usurperin' Mofo before the end of the year. It will still be fun to see them slowly realize, as 2015 unfolds, that there never will be an A/Z Day.

I was really upset this morning for about 45 minutes, until the alarm on my computer reminded me to make a backup of the database here. That's when I realized that life goes on, and we'll see better days to come.

June bug

Post by June bug » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:25 pm

They're not going to repeal ObamaCare.McConnell's already given an interview to Time in which he said the Republican strategy will be to repeal parts of the ACA through the appropriations process, i.e., they won't fund implementation of what they don't like. Now that they control both chambers, we may well see the ACA gutted through "death by a thousand cuts".

Return to “Election 2014”