Gay Rights - LGBT - Same Sex Marriage

AndyinPA

Re: Gay Rights - LGBT - Same Sex Marriage

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:03 pm

I think that a lot of the people who are so freaked out by homosexuality are closeted homosexuals. They think that all men (and it's almost always men) fight these urges. I"m thinking of right-wing fundamentalists here, but probably also right-wing politicians. Of course, they are also often one and the same.

Personally, I think that sexuality is on a line of continuum, from homosexual to bisexual to straight. I don't see that as unnatural. When I gave this opinion to two people recently, they looked at me as if I were crazy. That didn't surprise me from the way the conversation had been going.

I have someone in my family right now who is going through gender reassignment. It's not something someone would choose. It came as a surprise at first, but once I thought about it, it made more sense. He, now she, had issues throughout "his" life and seems so much more comfortable as "she." And I like her more than I liked him. She just seems more comfortable in her skin.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:23 pm

An interesting read
The evangelical professor who turned against 'reparative therapy' for gays
Twenty years ago, Warren Throckmorton, a psychologist and evangelical Christian, was a leading voice in the “sexual reorientation” movement, which sought to turn homosexuals straight.

Today he no longer promotes sexual reorientation in light of the scientific evidence that most gays are born that way. He has also emerged as a scourge of many on the Christian right, such as antigay activists who supported the movement in Uganda to criminalize homosexuality, as well as prominent authors like David Barton and Eric Metaxas.

:snippity:
“He is a person of real, deep and uncommon integrity,” said Jeff Sharlet, a journalist who has written about fundamentalist Christianity. Sharlet added that Throckmorton has allowed data and evidence to shape his views “in a way very few people of any ideological or political stripe would.”

Throckmorton is also symbolic of a shift occurring among some evangelicals who are wondering if their faith tradition has misinterpreted or overemphasized biblical texts about same-sex relationships for centuries.
more...
https://www.yahoo.com/news/evangelical- ... 26663.html

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:11 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:03 pm
I think that a lot of the people who are so freaked out by homosexuality are closeted homosexuals. They think that all men (and it's almost always men) fight these urges. I"m thinking of right-wing fundamentalists here, but probably also right-wing politicians. Of course, they are also often one and the same.
I wonder if there has been any solid research on this?

I am more in the camp that thinks they are more freaked out under the 'if there are gay men, they might treat me the way I treat women' fear than likely to be closeted. If nothing else fear of homosexuals seems to be fairly wide spread, but actual instances should only be a few percent.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:19 pm

I'm not sure about research. It just seems to me over the years as evangelicals have come out, the way they talk about it is as if it's a universal battle all men face. Mostly, this is just an impression I've had, and probably an impression they had. I can't remember any names, but I can still remember some of the faces. I think it's been a few years since I noticed that last one.

I agree about the idea of being treated by a homosexual man the way they treat women. I know straight men who feel that if women were equal and the tables were turned, women would treat them the way the have treated women, too.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:21 pm

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:52 pm

This man was denied a marriage license by Kim Davis. He is running to replace her. I plan to donate to his campaign.

--- George W Bush

June bug

Post by June bug » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:57 pm

Thanks for the link, RV. I just donated! :-D

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:59 pm

Looks like Australia's SSM bill will pass today. There were a lot of amendments put forth by the 'no' crowd that would've allowed various discriminations on religious grounds but all have been soundly rejected, save one that was introduced today and is currently being debated (and will also hopefully be discarded.) Funny how the 5 million No voters who clearly lost the referendum are convinced democracy will fail if their demands aren't taken into consideration. If a party won a generak election with this margin nobody could deny they were given a mandate, but since it's marriage equality, let's all tiptoe around to make sure they're happy.

Meanwhile if you want a laugh read Bob Latter's speech. He claims gay people are murderers and that homosexuality has only existed for 40 years.

June bug

Post by June bug » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:05 pm

That's great to hear, maydijo - though I'll hold congratulations till it's a done deal. :pray:

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:12 pm

They're voting on the final amendment now. This is the last sitting day of Parliament so basically this is an attempt by ex-PM Tony Abbott tp delay the bill until after Christmas, because if the amendment passes they have to go right back and start debating it from scratch (which took three days this time around.) I've got two different live feeds going and am on pins and needles awaiting the result. This is the final hurdle. If this amendment is defeated they have the numbers for a yes vote and can pass this legislation today and legalise gay marriage by Christmas.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:17 pm

Amendments defeated 97 to 43!!!!!!!!!

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:19 pm

maydijo wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:17 pm
Amendments defeated 97 to 43!!!!!!!!!
:cheer1: :cheer: :bunny: :happyfamily: :kickface:

--- George W Bush

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:40 pm

D'oh, I was wrong, still four more amendments to vote on before the final bill. But considering how soundly the last lot were defeated, I'm thinking these others will be too. People want to get this done.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:03 am

--- George W Bush

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:02 am

Finally! It just passed thee lower house. All amendments struck down so it doesn't need to go back to the Senate. There is still the formality of royal assent (which is a given) but marriage equality is finally legal.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:27 am

maydijo wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:02 am
Finally! It just passed thee lower house. All amendments struck down so it doesn't need to go back to the Senate. There is still the formality of royal assent (which is a given) but marriage equality is finally legal.
:happyfamily: :bunny: :happydance: :cheer1: :cheer: :bar:

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

June bug

Post by June bug » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:17 am

:like: :like: :like:

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:01 am

https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-polit ... es-his-arm
A request not to be touched is one thing. Using an anti-gay verbal attack to make that request, like Chairman of the Pennsylvania House State Government Committee Rep. Daryl Metcalfe (R) did when Democratic Chairman Matt Bradford touched his arm, is another.

The inexplicable exchange came during a meeting about issues related to land use.

“Representative Bradford,” said Metcalfe, interrupting Bradford, following the touch. “Look, I’m a heterosexual. I have a wife, I love my wife. I don’t like men, as you might. But stop touching me all the time."
Rep. Bradford is married to a woman.

Governor Wolf is asking the House to demote him.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/politi ... 1712060167
HARRISBURG — Gov. Tom Wolf on Wednesday urged Republican House leaders to consider ousting a conservative representative as chairman of a key committee because of “offensive and discriminatory” statements he made about homosexuality the day before.

“Unfortunately, this is not an isolated incident but part of a disturbing pattern of behavior,” the Democratic governor said in a statement. “In light of this documented history of discriminatory statements, I urge House leadership to re-examine whether it is appropriate for Rep. Metcalfe to continue controlling the committee that oversees civil rights legislation.”
I have my doubts this will happen, but I appreciated Gov. Wolf requesting this.

(And Congratulations, Australia!)

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:35 am

"Cosmic apotheosis wears off faster than salvia." --Rick Sanchez

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:36 am

"Cosmic apotheosis wears off faster than salvia." --Rick Sanchez

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:08 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:27 am
maydijo wrote:
:happyfamily: :bunny: :happydance: :cheer1: :cheer: :bar:
All I can say is WOW that was quick, I second and third the above.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:37 pm

RVInit wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:03 am
Priceless.

As for Australia: :happydance:

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:38 pm

maydijo wrote:

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:23 pm

Australian ambassador surprises partner with proposal to celebrate gay marriage vote

Mark Molloy 8 DECEMBER 2017 • 12:43PM

Australia’s ambassador to France celebrated the country’s historic same-sex marriage vote by surprising his partner with a marriage proposal.

Brendan Berne wasted no time in popping the question to his long-term partner, Thomas Marti, after Australia became the 25th country to recognise same-sex marriage.

“Today was a great day for Australia and for me. HE SAID YES!” the 47-year-old posted on Twitter.

Mr Berne also shared a clip of his proposal in the Australian embassy which overlooks the Eiffel Tower in Paris.

“As Australia’s Ambassador to France I am responsible for laying the foundations for the relationship between my country, Australia, and France,” he said before proposing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12 ... brate-gay/

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:29 pm

Tres bon!

Return to “Social Issues”