Military Mischief

RoadScholar

Re: Military Mischief

Post by RoadScholar » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:05 pm

Thank you.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:52 am

Trial is wrapping up for the Marine drill instructor who picked on Muslim recruits, putting two into an industrial clothes dryer, and causing a third to commit suicide by jumping 40 feet to his death. The jury is deliberating.

From the Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/che ... 6c09ba38ef

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:04 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:52 am
Trial is wrapping up for the Marine drill instructor who picked on Muslim recruits, putting two into an industrial clothes dryer, and causing a third to commit suicide by jumping 40 feet to his death. The jury is deliberating.

From the Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/che ... 6c09ba38ef
Holy sh*t!

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:13 pm

Don't I remember that not all that many years ago there was a big blow up, and I seem to recall it being with the Marines, about instructors physically abusing recruits, again in some cases to to the point of death?

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:59 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:13 pm
Don't I remember that not all that many years ago there was a big blow up, and I seem to recall it being with the Marines, about instructors physically abusing recruits, again in some cases to to the point of death?
Yeah, I seem to recall some drowning deaths where the drill instructors were making marines tread water for too long, or something like that. I don’t recall the details though.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:12 pm

As I recall it ended several careers and caused a massive revamp of training procedures and protocols. Very embarrassing and messy. I will hope this is not a new variation and just an isolated case.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:40 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:12 pm
As I recall it ended several careers and caused a massive revamp of training procedures and protocols. Very embarrassing and messy. I will hope this is not a new variation and just an isolated case.
Not an isolated case, unfortunately. WAPO said in June of 2016 that 15 are under investigation. That was over a year ago, so most of those people have probably already been dealt with administratively or otherwise. Sounds like this one was the most serious one though. Here’s a link to the Washington Post story: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/che ... e4406ff69a

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:54 pm

GUILTY!
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/11/m ... 27520.html
Gunnery Sergeant Joseph Felix, 34, was found guilty of "maltreatment" on Thursday after he physically and verbally abused three American Muslims training to become US Marines at a facility in Parris Island in South Carolina state.

Felix "picked out Muslim recruits for special abuse because of their Muslim faith. He degraded their religion and put them in industrial appliances", Lieutenant-Colonel John Norman, the prosecutor, was quoted as saying by the Washington Post.

Witnesses said they heard Felix use the terms "terrorist" and "ISIS" when addressing the Muslim men.

A $100m civil lawsuit has also been filed against the Marine Corps and the American government by the family of one Muslim man who fell 12 metres to his death.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:23 pm

Gee, that went well. NOT!!! Maybe time for a new Commandant of Marines and Training Command. Sometimes a hammer IS the best tool.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:07 pm

I'm pleased that this person was found guilty.

However, I imagine that if that had been a Muslim drill instructor (or whatever they are called now), who caused this to be done to, oh say, Southern Baptist recruits, that there would be a lot more screaming from the right wing evangelicals.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:19 pm

Azastan wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:07 pm
I'm pleased that this person was found guilty.

However, I imagine that if that had been a Muslim drill instructor (or whatever they are called now), who caused this to be done to, oh say, Southern Baptist recruits, that there would be a lot more screaming from the right wing evangelicals.
Ya think????? I'm actually surprised that Pat Robertson isn't mouthing off for the defense here. This is so his kind of thing.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:16 pm

Not a good day. The Chamblin, I think it is, conviction was overturned for undue command influence.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:40 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:16 pm
Not a good day. The Chamblin, I think it is, conviction was overturned for undue command influence.
This was the Marine Corps urination cases out of Iraq Afghanistan. General Amos, the commandant of the Marine Corps, got a little too personally involved (and if I recall correctly, his son was in the chain of command of the accused, and Gen. Anos ordered an investigation of the defense counsel who were assigned to defend the accused).

Here’s a link to the Navy- marine Corps quart of criminal appeals decision. I haven’t read it yet, I might have some further comments after I do. http://www.jag.navy.mil/courts/document ... -UNPUB.pdf

ETA: I was wrong about Weirick. He wasn’t one of the defense counsel. He was the deputy staff judge advocate for the combined disposition authority. The defense was asking him for discovery about UCI, he thought that the discovery had been improperly classified as a pretext, and wanted to have it re-classified and turned over to the defense. In other words, he was trying to do the right thing. And rather than just follow his advice, and they put him under investigation. That part is not in the opinion, but it’s pretty well-known in military justice circles.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:28 pm

Wow! The prosecution asked for seven years, and the panel gave 10 in the Marine DI case! That never happens.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017 ... harge.html

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:05 am

Maybenaut wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:28 pm
Wow! The prosecution asked for seven years, and the panel gave 10 in the Marine DI case! That never happens.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017 ... harge.html
Perhaps the prosecution thought they were already being optimistic with the request for seven years on the basis of previous sentences? From the article you cited:
Hope Hodge Seck at military.com wrote:Felix's sentence may be among the most severe ever handed down in a Marine Corps hazing case.

In 2011, multiple Marines were prosecuted following the suicide of 21-year-old Cpl. Harry Lew, who was allegedly hazed and abused in Afghanistan for falling asleep on watch. Ultimately, two of the Marines were acquitted, and one took a plea deal and received 30 days' confinement and demotion.

In perhaps the most famous Marine Corps hazing case, a drill instructor who had been drinking marched recruits into Parris Island's swampy Ribbon Creek in 1956. Six of the recruits drowned. That drill instructor was convicted of negligent homicide and drinking on duty and served three months in the brig. He remained in the service.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:40 am

That’s certainly possible. Looks like the times are changing, though.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:56 am

I'm a bit surprised. Usually it rolls uphill just a bit in cases like this. I've heard nothing about the commanding officer.

Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:18 am

ZekeB wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:56 am
I'm a bit surprised. Usually it rolls uphill just a bit in cases like this. I've heard nothing about the commanding officer.
According to the Washington post, a couple of officers in the chain of command have been relieved of command over this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/che ... ed8094caa8

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:24 pm

Good grief.

Navy admits its pilot sky-wrote a giant cloud-wiener
boingboing.net wrote:A spokesman from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island in Ault Field, WA, said of the unnamed crew behind the giant sky-dong, "we find this absolutely unacceptable, of zero training value and we are holding the crew accountable."

The FAA will not take action, because "unless the act poses a safety risk, there is nothing they can do about." An FAA official said the agency "cannot police morality."
Photo at the link:

https://boingboing.net/2017/11/17/zero- ... value.html

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:39 pm

No training value? It looks like the pilot made some well-timed turns and adjusted for crosswinds.

Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:49 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:39 pm
No training value? It looks like the pilot made some well-timed turns and adjusted for crosswinds.
Plus studying the weather situation for spraying contrails :!:

His only failure is to breach the storage of contrail spray containers :lol:

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:56 am

"That's gonna be on your permanent record, mister."

"Really? You promise?" 8-) :thumbs:

If dogs run free, why not we?

Return to “Military”