The Rent Is Too Damn High

Addie

Re: The Rent Is Too Damn High

Post by Addie » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:36 pm

HuffPo
The Hourly Income You Need To Afford Rent Around The U.S.

Full-time workers who make minimum wage can’t afford a two-bedroom rental home in any state in the U.S. without spending more than the recommended 30 percent of their income, according to a report from the National Low Income Housing Coalition.

The group’s annual “Out of Reach” report compares minimum wages and housing costs in states, metropolitan areas and counties across the country. This year’s results show the hourly wage rate needed for a “modest” two-bedroom rental is more than double the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour in all but four states.

Arkansas has the lowest hourly income needed for a two-bedroom rental at $13.72, and the state minimum wage is $8.50, the report said. Hawaii demands the highest income of renters: Workers need to make $35.20 to rent a two-bedroom there, and the state minimum wage is just $9.25.

At federal minimum wage, the average American worker would need to log 117-hour weeks for 52 weeks per year to afford a two-bedroom apartment or rental home, according to the report. For the overwhelming majority, not even sharing a dual income with a federal minimum wage-earning partner would cover a two-bedroom rental in their state.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:25 pm

The Guardian
Low-income workers who live in RVs are being 'chased out' of Silicon Valley streets ...

Amid complaints from residents, Palo Alto has announced it will enforce a rule that bans vehicles from parking in the same spot for longer than 72 hours. The RV dwellers must accede – they have few other options. Silicon Valley was recently ranked the second most inaccessible region in the country for low-income workers trying to find a place to live. Palo Alto’s minimum wage is $12 an hour, but someone would have to earn $42.69 an hour to rent a two-bedroom apartment while having enough left over for other necessities. ...

Mike Becker, 52, said he arrived in the Bay Area at the age of 20 and began living in the vehicle a few years ago after his rent was raised and he lost a carpentry job. The RV was free on Craigslist and makes sense because if he rented a home, “I wouldn’t have enough to pay for food”. He added, “I’m stigmatized with the rest of the RVers. I get the sense they think we’re dirtbags.”

Nicholas Newbury, 35, emerged from a beaten-up trailer with a tarp tied roughly over the top for privacy and protection from the weather. “I’m not upset about it,” he said of the city’s plan, “but at same time, where else do they want us to go?” (He only sleeps occasionally in the trailer, which is not his; at nights he searches the trash on Stanford’s campus looking for cans to sell to recyclers.)

RV dwellers are often local, said Brian Greenberg of LifeMoves, an organization that helps homeless people move into housing. “There’s this myth that we attract people from all over the place, and it really is a myth. Most of the people are what I’d say are our people – they graduated from local high schools on the peninsula, in Silicon Valley. People aren’t as mobile as one would think.”

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:21 am

NYRB: Tenants Under Siege: Inside New York City’s Housing Crisis

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:42 am

Associated Press
‘We still need to eat’: Tech boom creates working homeless

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. (AP) — In the same affluent, suburban city where Google built its headquarters, Tes Saldana lives in a crowded but tidy camper she parks on the street.

She concedes it’s “not a very nice living situation,” but it also is not unusual. Until authorities told them to move, more than a dozen other RVs filled with people who can’t afford rent joined Saldana on a tree-lined street in Mountain View, parked between a Target and a luxury apartment complex.

Homeless advocates and city officials say it’s outrageous that in the shadow of a booming tech economy - where young millionaires dine on $15 wood-grilled avocado and think nothing of paying $1,000 for an iPhone X - thousands of families can’t afford a home. Many of the homeless work regular jobs, in some cases serving the very people whose sky-high net worth is the reason housing has become unaffordable for so many.

Across the street from Saldana’s camper, for example, two-bedroom units in the apartment complex start at $3,840, including concierge service. That’s more than she brings home, even in a good month.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:37 pm

Associated Press
US homeless count rises for first time in 7 years

LOS ANGELES — The nation’s homeless population increased this year for the first time since 2010, driven by a surge in the number of people living on the streets in Los Angeles and other West Coast cities.

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development released its annual Point in Time count Wednesday, a report that showed nearly 554,000 homeless people across the country during local tallies conducted in January. That figure is up nearly 1 percent from 2016.

Of that total, 193,000 people had no access to nightly shelter and instead were staying in vehicles, tents, the streets and other places considered uninhabitable. The unsheltered figure is up by more than 9 percent compared to two years ago.

Increases are higher in several West Coast cities, where the explosion in homelessness has prompted at least 10 city and county governments to declare states of emergency since 2015.

City officials, homeless advocates and those living on the streets point to a main culprit: the region’s booming economy.

Rents have soared beyond affordability for many lower-wage workers who until just a just few years ago could typically find a place to stay. Now, even a temporary setback can be enough to leave them out on the streets.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:44 pm

Living in cars, working for Amazon: meet America's new nomads

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... CMP=twt_gu
During three years of research for my book, Nomadland: Surviving America in The Twenty-First Century, I spent time with hundreds of people who had arrived at the same answer. They gave up traditional housing and moved into “wheel estate”: RVs, travel trailers, vans, pickup campers, even a salvaged Prius and other sedans. For many, sacrificing some material comforts had allowed them to survive, while reclaiming a small measure of freedom and autonomy. But that didn’t mean life on the road was easy.

My first encounter with one group of the new nomads came in 2013, at the Desert Rose RV park in Fernley, Nevada. It was populated by members of the “precariat”: temporary laborers doing short-term jobs in exchange for low wages. Its citizens were full-time wanderers who dwelled in RVs and other vehicles, though at least one guy had only a tent to live in. Many were in their 60s and 70s, approaching or well into traditional retirement age. Most could not afford to stop working – or pay the rent.

:snippity:

Amazon recruited these workers as part of a program it calls CamperForce: a labor unit made up of nomads who work as seasonal employees at several of its warehouses, which the company calls “fulfillment centers”.

Along with thousands of traditional temps, they’re hired to meet the heavy shipping demands of “peak season” – the consumer bonanza that spans the three to four months before Christmas.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:46 pm

Addie wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:25 pm
Mike Becker, 52, said he arrived in the Bay Area at the age of 20 and began living in the vehicle a few years ago after his rent was raised and he lost a carpentry job. The RV was free on Craigslist and makes sense because if he rented a home, “I wouldn’t have enough to pay for food”. He added, “I’m stigmatized with the rest of the RVers. I get the sense they think we’re dirtbags.”
The thing I find fascinating about this is that it shows, when landlords are unable to lock up the bulk of the land, how affordable 'home ownership' actually is in these regions.

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:52 pm

neeneko wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:46 pm
Addie wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:25 pm
The thing I find fascinating about this is that it shows, when landlords are unable to lock up the bulk of the land, how affordable 'home ownership' actually is in these regions.
and, the folks who depend on these people for doing "grunt work" like cleaning, food service are "outraged" over their living in RV's and having to park in their neighborhoods due to the laws regarding RV parks where they need to vacate the park for a couple of days every month.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:05 pm

Flatpointhigh wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:52 pm
and, the folks who depend on these people for doing "grunt work" like cleaning, food service are "outraged" over their living in RV's and having to park in their neighborhoods due to the laws regarding RV parks where they need to vacate the park for a couple of days every month.
I can not help but think of the various Levittown projects (used to live outside them) which pioneered communities planned around the idea of 'nice' areas where you brought in people with money and the nearby but physically separated 'white trash' area where you could house all the people you need to make the nice jobs work, but also be sure to keep the land rented so planners could get rid of all the poor people once the construction and ramp up happened.

Return to “Economy”