USA v Michael T. Flynn; USDC for DC; False Statements to FBI; Guilty Plea

User avatar
Volkonski
Posts: 13690
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:44 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast and North Fork of Long Island
Occupation: Retired Mechanical Engineer

Re: USA v Michael T. Flynn; USDC for DC; False Statements to FBI; Guilty Plea

#26

Post by Volkonski » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:43 pm



Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

TexasFilly
Posts: 17006
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: USA v Michael T. Flynn; USDC for DC; False Statements to FBI; Guilty Plea

#27

Post by TexasFilly » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:56 pm

NBC reporting one of the "senior officials" was... Jared Kushner! No link yet.

Has to be another senior advisor who was at Mar-A-Lago, because Jared was in Hawaii at the time in question. Pence?


I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

User avatar
Sterngard Friegen
Posts: 41191
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:32 am
Location: Trump International - Malibu

Re: USA v Michael T. Flynn; USDC for DC; False Statements to FBI; Guilty Plea

#28

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:58 pm

Even Fox "News" is reporting Trump's culpability. I sure hope he's watching his TV right now. I suspect his phone and his throw away have both been hidden from him. If Trump had access right now we'd either be at war with North Korea or he would have granted Twitter pardons to everyone and fired Mueller. Or both.



User avatar
Sterngard Friegen
Posts: 41191
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:32 am
Location: Trump International - Malibu

Re: USA v Michael T. Flynn; USDC for DC; False Statements to FBI; Guilty Plea

#29

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:59 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:56 pm
NBC reporting one of the "senior officials" was... Jared Kushner! No link yet.

Has to be another senior advisor who was at Mar-A-Lago, because Jared was in Hawaii at the time in question. Pence?
Pence, Sessions and Bannon all fit the description. I'm guessing Session gets indicted next. With no plea deal.



User avatar
Volkonski
Posts: 13690
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:44 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast and North Fork of Long Island
Occupation: Retired Mechanical Engineer

Re: USA v Michael T. Flynn; USDC for DC; False Statements to FBI; Guilty Plea

#30

Post by Volkonski » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:59 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:56 pm
NBC reporting one of the "senior officials" was... Jared Kushner! No link yet.

Has to be another senior advisor who was at Mar-A-Lago, because Jared was in Hawaii at the time in question. Pence?


Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

User avatar
Sterngard Friegen
Posts: 41191
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:32 am
Location: Trump International - Malibu

Re: USA v Michael T. Flynn; USDC for DC; False Statements to FBI; Guilty Plea

#31

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:03 pm

Kusher is implicated in the Israeli U.N. vote, not the subsequent quid pro quo convo with the Russian Ambassador.

Now we know why Kushner pushed so hard to get Comey fired.

It's something like this that will allow Kushner take his mind off the balloon payment that comes due in two months on 666 Fifth Avenue.



User avatar
bob
Posts: 22199
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:22 pm

Re: USA v Michael T. Flynn; USDC for DC; False Statements to FBI; Guilty Plea

#32

Post by bob » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:16 pm

Cf. Carl Gallups:
Gallups wrote:FLYNN PLEADS GUILTY; LYING TO FBI
Leftists: THIS is smoking gun!

PNN: "Smoking Gun? Nope. Not by a long shot. This happened AFTER the election and Trump FIRED Flynn when he found out Flynn lied to the FBI ... This has NOTHING to do with Trump collusion with Russia. BTW - there is still ZERO evidence that Trump did anything of the sorts. The snowflakes will continue to melt. Watch and enjoy."


Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

User avatar
Mikedunford
Posts: 8109
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: USA v Michael T. Flynn; USDC for DC; False Statements to FBI; Guilty Plea

#33

Post by Mikedunford » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:19 pm

If Flynn will testify that he was told to contact Russians during the campaign, Trump's got big, big problems. If Flynn is only going to testify about things that happened during the transition, Trump's probably got a little bit more wiggle room (despite the technical illegality) - unless, of course, there's other evidence that makes it clear that the transition stuff was part of a quid pro quo.


I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

User avatar
pipistrelle
Posts: 2648
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:26 am

Re: USA v Michael T. Flynn; USDC for DC; False Statements to FBI; Guilty Plea

#34

Post by pipistrelle » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:22 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:19 pm
If Flynn will testify that he was told to contact Russians during the campaign, Trump's got big, big problems. If Flynn is only going to testify about things that happened during the transition, Trump's probably got a little bit more wiggle room (despite the technical illegality) - unless, of course, there's other evidence that makes it clear that the transition stuff was part of a quid pro quo.
A lawyer friend is claiming this is one minor thing and since it happened during the transition, no big deal. We shall see . . .



User avatar
Sterngard Friegen
Posts: 41191
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:32 am
Location: Trump International - Malibu

Re: USA v Michael T. Flynn; USDC for DC; False Statements to FBI; Guilty Plea

#35

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:23 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:19 pm
If Flynn will testify that he was told to contact Russians during the campaign, Trump's got big, big problems. If Flynn is only going to testify about things that happened during the transition, Trump's probably got a little bit more wiggle room (despite the technical illegality) - unless, of course, there's other evidence that makes it clear that the transition stuff was part of a quid pro quo.
Putin's reaction after Flynn's call to Kysliak smacks of an expected future quid pro quo (for past services). I think Mueller already understands that if this was isolated to the transition period it's no big deal. But the kids glove treatment of Flynn makes it appear that Mueller is treating Flynn as if a big deal is on the horizon.



User avatar
bob
Posts: 22199
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:22 pm

Re: USA v Michael T. Flynn; USDC for DC; False Statements to FBI; Guilty Plea

#36

Post by bob » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:29 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:19 pm
If Flynn will testify that he was told to contact Russians during the campaign, Trump's got big, big problems. If Flynn is only going to testify about things that happened during the transition, Trump's probably got a little bit more wiggle room (despite the technical illegality) - unless, of course, there's other evidence that makes it clear that the transition stuff was part of a quid pro quo.
I think the panda has it:
fierceredpanda wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:59 am
I'm wondering if the other charges aren't being brought not only as part of the cooperation agreement, but also as an insurance policy to circumvent a Trump pardon. State charges too, possibly, but if Flynn didn't receive any immunity agreement, there's nothing stopping Mueller from making it clear that if Flynn is pardoned for the false statement charge, he intends to bring others. If one Flynn pardon would be politically inadvisable, two would (I would hope) be political suicide.
Making the information (to quote :sterngard: ) devilish.


Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

User avatar
Mikedunford
Posts: 8109
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: USA v Michael T. Flynn; USDC for DC; False Statements to FBI; Guilty Plea

#37

Post by Mikedunford » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:30 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:23 pm
Mikedunford wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:19 pm
If Flynn will testify that he was told to contact Russians during the campaign, Trump's got big, big problems. If Flynn is only going to testify about things that happened during the transition, Trump's probably got a little bit more wiggle room (despite the technical illegality) - unless, of course, there's other evidence that makes it clear that the transition stuff was part of a quid pro quo.
Putin's reaction after Flynn's call to Kysliak smacks of an expected future quid pro quo (for past services). I think Mueller already understands that if this was isolated to the transition period it's no big deal. But the kids glove treatment of Flynn makes it appear that Mueller is treating Flynn as if a big deal is on the horizon.
Concur. Flynn (& son) were on the hook for a hell of a lot more than just talking to Russians during the transition. Getting Mueller to agree to let that go would not have come cheap.


I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

User avatar
Mikedunford
Posts: 8109
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: USA v Michael T. Flynn; USDC for DC; False Statements to FBI; Guilty Plea

#38

Post by Mikedunford » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:37 pm

bob wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:29 pm
Mikedunford wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:19 pm
If Flynn will testify that he was told to contact Russians during the campaign, Trump's got big, big problems. If Flynn is only going to testify about things that happened during the transition, Trump's probably got a little bit more wiggle room (despite the technical illegality) - unless, of course, there's other evidence that makes it clear that the transition stuff was part of a quid pro quo.
I think the panda has it:
fierceredpanda wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:59 am
I'm wondering if the other charges aren't being brought not only as part of the cooperation agreement, but also as an insurance policy to circumvent a Trump pardon. State charges too, possibly, but if Flynn didn't receive any immunity agreement, there's nothing stopping Mueller from making it clear that if Flynn is pardoned for the false statement charge, he intends to bring others. If one Flynn pardon would be politically inadvisable, two would (I would hope) be political suicide.
Making the information (to quote :sterngard: ) devilish.
Reading the documents upthread, the written portion of the deal says nothing about Flynn, Jr. It also says nothing (at least that I could see) about Turkey. So there's almost certainly an additional deal, possibly unwritten, in place. And, yes, I agree that the deal is structured to substantially complicate any pardon effort.


I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

User avatar
pipistrelle
Posts: 2648
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:26 am

Re: USA v Michael T. Flynn; USDC for DC; False Statements to FBI; Guilty Plea

#39

Post by pipistrelle » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:42 pm

"It has been extraordinarily painful to endure these many months of false accusations of 'treason' and other outrageous acts," Flynn said in his statement.
You know, I'd feel for General "Lock her up!" but you know.



User avatar
Slartibartfast
Posts: 6932
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:52 pm

Re: USA v Michael T. Flynn; USDC for DC; False Statements to FBI; Guilty Plea

#40

Post by Slartibartfast » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:49 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:37 pm
bob wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:29 pm
Mikedunford wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:19 pm
If Flynn will testify that he was told to contact Russians during the campaign, Trump's got big, big problems. If Flynn is only going to testify about things that happened during the transition, Trump's probably got a little bit more wiggle room (despite the technical illegality) - unless, of course, there's other evidence that makes it clear that the transition stuff was part of a quid pro quo.
I think the panda has it:
fierceredpanda wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:59 am
I'm wondering if the other charges aren't being brought not only as part of the cooperation agreement, but also as an insurance policy to circumvent a Trump pardon. State charges too, possibly, but if Flynn didn't receive any immunity agreement, there's nothing stopping Mueller from making it clear that if Flynn is pardoned for the false statement charge, he intends to bring others. If one Flynn pardon would be politically inadvisable, two would (I would hope) be political suicide.
Making the information (to quote :sterngard: ) devilish.
Reading the documents upthread, the written portion of the deal says nothing about Flynn, Jr. It also says nothing (at least that I could see) about Turkey. So there's almost certainly an additional deal, possibly unwritten, in place. And, yes, I agree that the deal is structured to substantially complicate any pardon effort.
I think, as was speculated earlier, that one of the levers Bobby Three Sticks was pushing on was Flynn, Jr. I expect that he will quietly drop below the radar and disappear from the news. Papa seems to have taken this one for his kid, wonder if Trump will do the same...

Too, also, I think it's pretty clear who's Time's Man of the Year should be... I don't need to Mueller it over any more.


"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

User avatar
RVInit
Posts: 4650
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: USA v Michael T. Flynn; USDC for DC; False Statements to FBI; Guilty Plea

#41

Post by RVInit » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:52 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:42 pm
"It has been extraordinarily painful to endure these many months of false accusations of 'treason' and other outrageous acts," Flynn said in his statement.
You know, I'd feel for General "Lock her up!" but you know.
:like: He enthusiastically led a mob of zealots who probably would have physically harmed HRC had they been able to get their hands on her. He hasn't suffered nearly enough.


"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

User avatar
Slartibartfast
Posts: 6932
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:52 pm

Re: USA v Michael T. Flynn; USDC for DC; False Statements to FBI; Guilty Plea

#42

Post by Slartibartfast » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:10 pm

RVInit wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:52 pm
pipistrelle wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:42 pm
"It has been extraordinarily painful to endure these many months of false accusations of 'treason' and other outrageous acts," Flynn said in his statement.
You know, I'd feel for General "Lock her up!" but you know.
:like: He enthusiastically led a mob of zealots who probably would have physically harmed HRC had they been able to get their hands on her. He hasn't suffered nearly enough.
I don't care one bit about anyone being punished, just about Trump's presidency being dealt with according to the Constitution. I expect Flynn will get off easy and his son will get off scot-free and I don't begrudge them that -- Flynn's cooperation is more than worth it to the country.


"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

User avatar
maydijo
Posts: 1967
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm
Location: where women glow and men plunder
Occupation: harassing marsupials

Re: USA v Michael T. Flynn; USDC for DC; False Statements to FBI; Guilty Plea

#43

Post by maydijo » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:12 pm

I almost feel sorry for Ivanka. Jared's in this up to his neck. Either he flips on daddy to avoid a jail term - destroying his relationship with her - or he goes to jail for daddy - destroying her relationship with daddy. Of course, Trump could always pardon him - but if Mueller has a workaround to a Flynn pardon, no doubt he'll have one for a Kushner pardon. Either way her happy little family is toast, and at least one of her favourites men is going down. Like I said, I almost feel sorry for her . . . but I am sure she's up to her neck in it as well. Her family has fewer morals than the Medicis.



TexasFilly
Posts: 17006
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: USA v Michael T. Flynn; USDC for DC; False Statements to FBI; Guilty Plea

#44

Post by TexasFilly » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:15 pm

I saw footage of Flynn returning to his home (he appears to have changed clothes) and being greeted on his porch by his despicable son who was holding an infant. :eek2: :eek2: Dear God, who would reproduce with that cretin?


I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

User avatar
pipistrelle
Posts: 2648
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:26 am

Re: USA v Michael T. Flynn; USDC for DC; False Statements to FBI; Guilty Plea

#45

Post by pipistrelle » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:17 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:10 pm
RVInit wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:52 pm
pipistrelle wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:42 pm


You know, I'd feel for General "Lock her up!" but you know.
:like: He enthusiastically led a mob of zealots who probably would have physically harmed HRC had they been able to get their hands on her. He hasn't suffered nearly enough.
I don't care one bit about anyone being punished, just about Trump's presidency being dealt with according to the Constitution. I expect Flynn will get off easy and his son will get off scot-free and I don't begrudge them that -- Flynn's cooperation is more than worth it to the country.
My point is I don't want to hear him whining about how badly he's been served when he was literally leading a mob with false accusations. He should just hush about his suffering given his past.



User avatar
RTH10260
Posts: 13269
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Near the Swiss Alps

Re: USA v Michael T. Flynn; USDC for DC; False Statements to FBI; Guilty Plea

#46

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:19 pm

It Was Kushner Who Told Flynn To Make Calls About Israel UN Vote, Source Says
The president's son-in-law prompted the Dec. 22 call to Russia's ambassador that is the focus of Flynn's guilty plea Friday.
:snippity:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/aramroston/it- ... -israel-un
Hmmm - I thought the US had enacted a law that only allowed the US government to have contacts with foreign powers. Dec.22 is still a month from when Teh Doanld will pretend to become potus. :confused:



User avatar
RVInit
Posts: 4650
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: USA v Michael T. Flynn; USDC for DC; False Statements to FBI; Guilty Plea

#47

Post by RVInit » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:31 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:19 pm
It Was Kushner Who Told Flynn To Make Calls About Israel UN Vote, Source Says
The president's son-in-law prompted the Dec. 22 call to Russia's ambassador that is the focus of Flynn's guilty plea Friday.
:snippity:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/aramroston/it- ... -israel-un
Hmmm - I thought the US had enacted a law that only allowed the US government to have contacts with foreign powers. Dec.22 is still a month from when Teh Doanld will pretend to become potus. :confused:
As far as I'm concerned Flynn had better be giving Mueller a hell of a lot more than just some piddly Logan Act shit.

But while we are on that subject, I also believe that if Trump's time in the WH does not come crashing down around his ears and he is not thrown out on his rear end we are in for years and years of hell while Trump travels the world, meeting with the worst of despot type "leaders" and undermining every President that comes after him, regardless of party, until the end of his life. We have to put a stop to this man. I don't think the danger and recklessness of Trump can be overstated.


"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

User avatar
Slartibartfast
Posts: 6932
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:52 pm

Re: USA v Michael T. Flynn; USDC for DC; False Statements to FBI; Guilty Plea

#48

Post by Slartibartfast » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:36 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:17 pm
My point is I don't want to hear him whining about how badly he's been served when he was literally leading a mob with false accusations. He should just hush about his suffering given his past.
Certainly I have no sympathy for Flynn. He is the one responsible for the causes he's made and thus has no grounds to whine about the effects of his actions.


"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

TexasFilly
Posts: 17006
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: USA v Michael T. Flynn; USDC for DC; False Statements to FBI; Guilty Plea

#49

Post by TexasFilly » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:02 pm

To be clear: Mueller & Co. are not stupid nor inexperienced. With the multitude of Flynn's crimes, he must have the smoking gun. If you hear any pundits minimizing this plea they are just ignorant. MSNBC had the EIC of Breitbart on (WTF?) and he was going on about how there's no proof of collusion, blah blah blah. They have no freaking idea what Mueller has on anybody, and neither do I, but I've been around long enough to know Mueller has very incriminating information from Flynn (and lots of corroboration).


I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

User avatar
Sterngard Friegen
Posts: 41191
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:32 am
Location: Trump International - Malibu

Re: USA v Michael T. Flynn; USDC for DC; False Statements to FBI; Guilty Plea

#50

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:04 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:02 pm
To be clear: Mueller & Co. are not stupid nor inexperienced. With the multitude of Flynn's crimes, he must have the smoking gun. If you hear any pundits minimizing this plea they are just ignorant. MSNBC had the EIC of Breitbart on (WTF?) and he was going on about how there's no proof of collusion, blah blah blah. They have no freaking idea what Mueller has on anybody, and neither do I, but I've been around long enough to know Mueller has very incriminating information from Flynn (and lots of corroboration).
:like:



Post Reply

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”