U.S. v. Manafort, Gates: 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

Sterngard Friegen

Re: U.S. v. Manafort, Gates: 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:54 am

I'll respond when I return. Right now it's back to the future.

Hello.

Fortinbras

Re: U.S. v. Manafort, Gates: 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

Post by Fortinbras » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:35 am

I am not quite sure sure what "ninja'd" means, but I'll admit I was well behind the curve on this one.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:05 pm

Politico
Judge issues gag order in Manafort, Gates case

The federal judge overseeing the criminal case against former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort and his associate Rick Gates has issued a gag order limiting comments to the media and the public by lawyers, defendants and witnesses in the case.

U.S. District Court Judge Amy Berman Jackson's directive Wednesday doesn't ban such statements outright, but prohibits any remarks that "pose a substantial likelihood of material prejudice to this case."

At a hearing last week, Jackson urged lawyers to make their arguments in court and "not on the courthouse steps." She also appeared to criticize a statement one of Manafort's lawyers made outside court calling the charges against his client "ridiculous."

Jackson offered both defendants and the government a chance to weigh in about the order before she issued it. No one did.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:56 am

So, are Trump's future tweet rants possibly contempt?

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:21 pm

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/ ... ied-245555
Judge denies Rick Gates’ bid for Thanksgiving break from house arrest

“The court is well aware that a house full of busy children comes with constant and competing transportation demands, and that the burden shouldered by many mothers is exacerbated in this case by defendant’s current bond conditions,” Jackson, an appointee of President Barack Obama, wrote in a two-page opinion Thursday.

Jackson noted that any request to change Gates’ current house arrest arrangement can’t happen until a formal agreement is reached to guarantee the defendant’s $5 million bond would be paid if he didn’t appear in court as the case proceeds toward a potential criminal trial next spring.

Andrew Weissmann, a senior Mueller prosecutor, said Gates hadn’t completed the paperwork to post his house or any other property for bail and had “failed to answer a series of questions about his assets.” The special counsel official also argued that the court should not grant Gates’ pre-emptive request for a reprieve over Christmas — still more than a month away — noting that “undermines the notion that counsel is diligently working to secure a bail package.”

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:22 pm

Is there a probability that Gates would become a fugitive??

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:34 am

I apologize for asking such a stupid question, but i have never completely understood money laundering. I understand the basics: for example, if you have an illegal gambling ring, you buy a restaurant, and report your gambling money as if it was coming from the restaurant. I understand you buy a million dollar house with ill-gotten gains,make a few improvements with dirty money, and then sell it, and the profit is now legitimate. But I don't understand the accusation that Manafort is money laundering by dramatically overpaying for home improvements.

"Building permits in Southampton estimate that the cost of SP & C’s renovations would come to $687,000. In Brooklyn, the work is estimated to cost $527,900 though it isn’t clear whether SP & C or another contractor completed the project. Either way, the estimates fall more than $4 million short of the amount “Vendor A” was paid.

Money launderers can use remodeling projects to wash money by overpaying for services rendered, or by paying for improvements that increase the resale value, said Andrew Stone, a fraud analyst at HomeAdvisor, a company that connects homeowners with contractors.

“This effectively integrates ill-gotten gains into the financial system,” he said.

Ross Delston, a Washington attorney and money laundering expert, said large payments in round-dollar amounts can be a red-flag, even more so if they are linked to specific contracts. Nearly all of Manafort’s payments to vendors end in zero—such as $6,500, $75,000 or $375,000, according to the indictment."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... enovations

Is the theory that the contractors are giving him kickbacks? If so, how does that launder the money? Thanks for anyone who can explain this.

bob

Post by bob » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:25 pm

stoppingby wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:34 am
Is the theory that the contractors are giving him kickbacks? If so, how does that launder the money? Thanks for anyone who can explain this.
Possibly but not necessarily (the vendors' overcharging could be their fee for washing the money).

If someone (say, the Rooskies) give someone else (say Manafort) $10M to launder, and $2M goes to overpaid vendors (and subvendors) along the way, the end result is still $8M in clean money. In other words, losing money is inherent in the process of money laundering; that's the cost of cleaning it.

If the Rooskies give to Manafort $10M of dirty money; he returns to them $8M in clean assets; and the $2M in the pockets of Manafort (and his helpers) is the cost of doing business.

Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:02 pm

bob wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:25 pm
stoppingby wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:34 am
Possibly but not necessarily (the vendors' overcharging could be their fee for washing the money).

If someone (say, the Rooskies) give someone else (say Manafort) $10M to launder, and $2M goes to overpaid vendors (and subvendors) along the way, the end result is still $8M in clean money. In other words, losing money is inherent in the process of money laundering; that's the cost of cleaning it.

If the Rooskies give to Manafort $10M of dirty money; he returns to them $8M in clean assets; and the $2M in the pockets of Manafort (and his helpers) is the cost of doing business.
That makes sense. Thanks!

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:38 am

McClatchy
Exclusive: Manafort flight records show deeper Kremlin ties than previously known ...

Manafort's flight records in and out of Ukraine, which McClatchy obtained from a government source in Kiev, and interviews with more than a dozen people familiar with his activities, including current and former government officials, suggest the links between Trump's former campaign manager and Russia sympathizers run deeper than previously thought.

What's now known leads some Russia experts to suspect that the Kremlin's emissaries at times turned Manafort into an asset acting on Russia's behalf. "You can make a case that all along he ... was either working principally for Moscow, or he was trying to play both sides against each other just to maximize his profits," said Daniel Fried, a former assistant secretary of state who communicated with Manafort during Yanukovych's reign in President George W. Bush's second term.

"He's at best got a conflict of interest and at worst is really doing Putin's bidding," said Fried, now a fellow with the Atlantic Council.

A central question for Justice Department special counsel Robert Mueller and several congressional committees is whether Manafort, in trying to boost Trump's underdog campaign, in any way collaborated with Russia's cyber meddling aimed at improving Trump's electoral prospects.

His lucrative consulting relationships have already led a grand jury convened by Mueller to charge him and an associate with conspiracy, money laundering and other felonies - charges that legal experts say are likely meant to pressure them to cooperate with the wider probe into possible collusion.

Government investigators are examining information they've received regarding "talks between Russians about using Manafort as part of their broad influence operations during the elections," a source familiar with the inquiry told McClatchy.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:44 pm

Talking Points Memo
Paul Manafort Reaches Bail Deal With Mueller

A month after turning himself in for charges he faces connected to Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia probe, former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort reached a bail deal with Mueller’s team, according to court documents filed by Manafort’s lawyers Thursday.

Manafort’s lawyers are now seeking for a federal judge to approve of his release under the conditions laid out in the court filing. Manafort has offered Mueller as bail four of his real estate properties in New York, Virginia, and Floridia, which his lawyers claimed were worth a total of $11.65 million.

Additionally, Manafort and his wife have agreed not to travel internationally, and Manafort would also limit his domestic travel to Florida, Virginia, New York and the District of Columbia. For any additional domestic travel, Manafort would seek the permission of the court, his lawyers said.

A separate court document filed by his lawyers Thursday indicated that Manafort had offered Mueller’s team two people who who can serve as sureties if the value of the real estate drops below the $10 million the government is seeking in bail.

¡Qué vergüenza!

tek

Post by tek » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:18 pm

Manafort is offering people as bail?

hopefully something got lost in the translation..

Fast talkin' guys with strange red eyes
Have put things in your head
And started your mind to wonderin'

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:21 pm

I think he means bait.

Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:20 pm

tek wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:18 pm
Manafort is offering people as bail?

hopefully something got lost in the translation..

From M-W:
Definition of surety
plural sureties

3 : one who has become legally liable for the debt, default, or failure in duty of another
So Manafort got a couple of very pricey bail bondsmen to underwrite his freedom.

Oh, and Mueller's team went from a very strict bail request to a rather more lenient one, and they weren't only motivated by the money. It's worth asking what else they got in exchange for their agreement to let Manafort go about without his GPS tracking device.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:06 pm

LA Times
Special counsel backs out of bail deal with Paul Manafort, saying he tried to hide a public relations effort

Paul Manafort ghost-wrote an editorial about his political work in Ukraine, violating a court order, according to a new court filing from the special counsel’s office.

The allegation was disclosed Monday as the reason the special counsel was backing out of a deal on bail with Manafort’s lawyers. The deal would have loosened the terms of house arrest for President Trump’s former campaign manager.

Manafort wanted to be allowed to travel among a few states in return for agreeing to forfeit $11.6 million in property if he missed a court appearance.

The special counsel’s office, which is investigating whether anyone in Trump’s orbit helped Russia interfere in last year’s presidential campaign, said Manafort helped draft the editorial in recent days, working with a Russian who has ties to that country’s intelligence services.

That writing violated a Nov. 8 court order "prohibiting such out-of-court statements in order to protect the fairness of the upcoming trial,” the court filing said.

“The editorial clearly was undertaken to influence the public’s opinion of defendant Manafort, or else there would be no reason to seek its publication (much less for Manafort and his long-time associate to ghostwrite it in another’s name),” the court filing said. “It compounds the problem that the proposed piece is not a dispassionate recitation of the facts.”

¡Qué vergüenza!

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:16 pm

It sounds to me like the article hasn't been published yet. In which case, how did Mueller find out? I can't think of an answer that shouldn't scare the crap out of Manafort.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:22 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:16 pm
It sounds to me like the article hasn't been published yet. In which case, how did Mueller find out? I can't think of an answer that shouldn't scare the crap out of Manafort.
I'd like to read the actual filing, but spitballing, I'm guessing the Russian in question is under surveillance. Ms. Maddow is going to be very busy between now and show time.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:24 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
:like:

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:31 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:22 pm
Slartibartfast wrote:
I'd like to read the actual filing, but spitballing, I'm guessing the Russian in question is under surveillance. Ms. Maddow is going to be very busy between now and show time.
Here you go.
https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/61 ... -manafort/

But it doesn't say how the government found out. :mrgreen:

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:14 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
Did he think that once he was indicted that he was not under surveillance no more ... tapp ... tapp .... tapp ... the internet and the email never forgets. And the NAS and CIA have the Russian partner surely on their daily report too, also.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:20 pm

Clarification: I meant the Russian was likely under electronic surveillance. Which Manafort was either too stupid to think about, or didn't care (has he been promised a Trump pardon?).

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:25 pm

There seem to be three reasonably likely ways for the government to have found out:

1: Manafort is under surveillance;
2: The Russian is under surveillance;
3: Both Manafort and the Russian are under surveillance.

My bet's on 3.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:27 pm

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

bob

Post by bob » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:38 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:25 pm
There seem to be three reasonably likely ways for the government to have found out:

1: Manafort is under surveillance;
2: The Russian is under surveillance;
3: Both Manafort and the Russian are under surveillance.

My bet's on 3.
:fingerwag:

If I've learned one thing from Peter Boyles, the answer is always: Jimmy Down the Hall did it.

Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:27 pm

WaPo
Prosecutors say longtime Manafort colleague has ‘ties’ to Russian intelligence

Federal prosecutors asserted Monday that a longtime associate of Paul Manafort, the former chairman of President Trump’s campaign, has been “assessed to have ties” to Russian intelligence — the first time the special counsel has alleged a Trump official had such contacts. ...

In the four-page filing Monday, prosecutor Andrew Weissman urged the judge to reject the bail deal, arguing that Manafort and a Russian colleague have been secretly ghostwriting an English-language editorial that appeared to defend Manafort’s work advising a ­Russia-friendly political party in Ukraine.

They said Manafort worked on the draft as recently as last week with “a long-time Russian colleague . . . who is currently based in Russia and assessed to have ties to a Russian intelligence service.” They indicated they would file further supporting evidence under seal.

The Russian colleague was not identified in court papers. However, Manafort has had a long-standing Russian employee named Konstantin Kilimnik who ran Manafort’s office in Kiev during the 10 years he did consulting work there. ...

The allegation is the first time that prosecutors have claimed any former Trump campaign official has had contacts with a Russian tied to that country’s intelligence services.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”