U.S. v. Manafort; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

User avatar
Kendra
Posts: 7170
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:53 am

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

#476

Post by Kendra » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:05 am

https://www.buzzfeed.com/zoetillman/pau ... .vhQ7oL460
Paul Manafort Is Asking A Judge To Suppress Evidence That Agents Seized From His Home
Investigators were looking for evidence not only about Manafort's work for the Ukrainian government — but also about the June 9, 2016, meeting at Trump Tower.



User avatar
Suranis
Posts: 15109
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:04 am

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

#477

Post by Suranis » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:17 am

https://www.thedailybeast.com/a-second- ... ned-on-him
A Second Paul Manafort Associate Has Turned on Him
The one-time Team Trump honcho was already in hot water. And that was before an ex-employee led an FBI agent to a storage locker filled with Manafort’s financial papers.
Betsy Woodruff
04.09.18 8:05 PM ET

Former Trump campaign chief Paul Manafort has trouble in his own house. According to court documents, one of Manafort’s former employees led an FBI agent to a storage locker filled with paperwork on Manafort’s businesses and finances. The person’s name is redacted from the filings. But he’s now at the center of a fight over evidence that could play a significant role in the government’s case against Manafort.

“People do strange things when confronted with authoritative FBI agents,” said Sol Wisenberg, a criminal defense attorney with Nelson Mullins.

This makes the second Manafort associate known to have aided the government in the sprawling investigation into foreign influence in U.S. politics. Rick Gates, Manafort’s long-time right hand, began cooperating with Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s office in February.

Manafort’s attorneys revealed the information about the second former employee in an April 6, 2018, court filing. In the filing, Manafort’s attorneys asked the federal judge overseeing the prosecution to block documents found in a storage unit in Alexandria, Virginia, from being used as evidence against him. They argue the employee did not have the authority to let the FBI agent look into the storage unit, and that, therefore, the FBI violated Manafort’s Fourth Amendment rights.


"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

User avatar
Addie
Posts: 24866
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am
Location: downstairs

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

#478

Post by Addie » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:39 am

Dope, uh, Dupe, Suranis :fingerwag:
Suranis wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:17 am
https://www.thedailybeast.com/a-second- ... ned-on-him
A Second Paul Manafort Associate Has Turned on Him


¡Qué vergüenza!

User avatar
Suranis
Posts: 15109
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:04 am

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

#479

Post by Suranis » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:50 am

Addie wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:39 am
Dope, uh, Dupe, Suranis :fingerwag:

:bighug: :bighug:
I should have known I could not compete with your Jedi powers :crying:


"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

User avatar
TollandRCR
Posts: 19742
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

#480

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:59 am

I barely caught a news item on my car radio that sounded as if a second indictment was issued last night against Manafort, this one dealing with acts committed during Trump's campaign.


“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

User avatar
Addie
Posts: 24866
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am
Location: downstairs

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

#481

Post by Addie » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:43 pm

The Nation - Bob Dreyfuss
Is Paul Manafort the Colluder in Chief?

New filings by special counsel Mueller suggest Manafort had ties to Russian military intelligence in 2016. ...


How can we be so sure Mueller is putting these pieces together? Because it’s in recent court documents filed by Mueller & Co. It’s been known for a while that Manafort—who may yet turn state’s evidence and cooperate with Mueller in order to avoid a lengthy prison term—may be the weakest link in the Trump-Russia collusion story. (For an earlier, fairly complete account of his role, at least as far as it was known at the time, see my Nation post last August.) Now, thanks to Mueller’s methodical work, we know a lot more. ...

Another recent development was the release of the sentencing memo in the case of a well-connected Dutch lawyer, Alex van der Zwaan, who worked on Ukraine with Manafort and Gates. In it, we learned that van der Zwaan lied to Mueller’s office about the fact that as late as September and October of 2016—at the very height of the presidential campaign, for which Gates was a senior official on Trump’s team—Gates had been communicating with Kilimnik, referred to in the document as “Person A.” It adds “that Gates told him [van der Zwaan] that Person A was a former Russian Intelligence Officer with the GRU.” The memo also says, “Federal Bureau of Investigation Special Agents assisting the Special Counsel’s Office assess that Person A has ties to a Russian intelligence service and had such ties in 2016.” (According to the Times, Kilimnik twice traveled to the United States to meet with Manafort. The two men reportedly discussed trying to set up a private briefing on the Trump campaign for a top, Putin-linked billionaire, aluminum king Oleg Deripaska, who was one among seven oligarchs, along with companies they own or control as well as Russian-government officials, targeted with new US sanctions last week.) ...

Interestingly, Khan and his partners at Alfa, Mikhail Fridman and Petr Aven, show up in the famous “Steele dossier,” the raw-intelligence compilation assembled by former MI6 operative Christopher Steele for Glenn Simpson’s Fusion GPS and published by Buzzfeed in January 2017. One section reports that Khan, Fridman and Aven “are on very good terms with PUTIN,” and that they “continued to give informal advice to PUTIN on foreign policy, and especially about the US where he distrusted advice being given to him by officials.”

Back in 2016, it was the same Alfa Group that maintained a computer server connection of some kind with the Trump Organization’s server in New York, leading Jake Sullivan, Hillary Clinton’s foreign-policy adviser, to call it a “secret hotline.” Investigators and computer-security experts later concluded that the connection might have an innocent explanation, such as marketing spam. Last year, however, CNN reported that the FBI’s counterintelligence division is still looking at the issue and that “the FBI’s investigation remains open.”


¡Qué vergüenza!

User avatar
Maybenaut
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:58 am
Location: Maybelot

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

#482

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:49 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:29 am
https://www.politico.com/amp/story/2018 ... ied-509650?
Judge again denies bail for Manafort
However, the court gives the former Trump campaign chair a list of assets that could secure his release from house arrest.


[Judge] Jackson said she would not accept two properties Manafort has sought to propose as part of his bail package: a condo in old town Alexandria, Va. and another property in New York City. The judge said the Alexandria property was not suitable because it was pledged to back up a mortgage on Manafort's Long Island home. She said the New York property isn't an appropriate security because it is a focus of a separate bank-and-tax-fraud case Mueller's prosecutors filed against Manafort in Alexandria in February.

However, Jackson said other properties could make up a bail package for Manafort, including his Palm Beach Gardens, Fla. home and his condo in Trump Tower in New York. The judge cautioned that Manafort would have to show that he "is current on his mortgage obligation" for the Trump Tower apartment. Manafort at one point fell behind on payments, something his attorneys blamed on a change in a bill-paying vendor.

In a separate order Monday, Jackson granted Manafort's defense team a last-minute extension to argue that evidence the FBI seized from his Alexandria condo in a early morning raid last July should be barred from use against him in the Washington case. Manafort's defense asked for the extension about 90 minutes before the Friday midnight deadline she set for such motions. She noted that she'd told both sides to submit any extension requests 48 hours ahead of time, but she approved it anyway.

[Judge] Ellis has set July 10 for Manafort's trial to open in the Virginia case, while Jackson has set a September 17 trial date for Manafort in the D.C. case.. Filed by Fogbow Docket Clerk :stamp:
What’s the “Virginia case”? Are there really going to be two trials? How did I miss this?



User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 6163
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

#483

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:02 pm

The cases are U.S. v. Manafort, 18-cr-83, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia (Alexandria), and U.S. v. Manafort, 17-cr-201, U.S. District Court, District of Columbia (Washington).

The Virginia case recent info:
Former Trump campaign Chairman Paul Manafort urged a federal judge in Virginia to dismiss tax and bank fraud charges against him, renewing arguments that Special Counsel Robert Mueller went too far by investigating crimes beyond Russian meddling in the election.

Manafort is scheduled for trial on July 10. He has advanced similar arguments in a civil lawsuit and a criminal case in Washington, where he’s accused there of conspiracy, money laundering and unregistered lobbying for Ukraine. Mueller and the Justice Department, which appointed him, have defended their authority.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-BBKMBXc


"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

User avatar
TollandRCR
Posts: 19742
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

#484

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:04 pm

For a man who owns many properties in the U.S. and perhaps in Russia, Ukraine, and other countries, is there any reason to think that he will not abscond if those two properties are at risk?


“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

User avatar
Maybenaut
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:58 am
Location: Maybelot

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

#485

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:08 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:02 pm
The cases are U.S. v. Manafort, 18-cr-83, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia (Alexandria), and U.S. v. Manafort, 17-cr-201, U.S. District Court, District of Columbia (Washington).

The Virginia case recent info:
Former Trump campaign Chairman Paul Manafort urged a federal judge in Virginia to dismiss tax and bank fraud charges against him, renewing arguments that Special Counsel Robert Mueller went too far by investigating crimes beyond Russian meddling in the election.

Manafort is scheduled for trial on July 10. He has advanced similar arguments in a civil lawsuit and a criminal case in Washington, where he’s accused there of conspiracy, money laundering and unregistered lobbying for Ukraine. Mueller and the Justice Department, which appointed him, have defended their authority.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-BBKMBXc
Thanks, TRL! :thumbs:



User avatar
Chilidog
Posts: 8330
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:36 am

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

#486

Post by Chilidog » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:12 pm

Suranis wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:17 am
https://www.thedailybeast.com/a-second- ... ned-on-him
A Second Paul Manafort Associate Has Turned on Him
The one-time Team Trump honcho was already in hot water. And that was before an ex-employee led an FBI agent to a storage locker filled with Manafort’s financial papers.
Betsy Woodruff
04.09.18 8:05 PM ET

Former Trump campaign chief Paul Manafort has trouble in his own house. According to court documents, one of Manafort’s former employees led an FBI agent to a storage locker filled with paperwork on Manafort’s businesses and finances. The person’s name is redacted from the filings. But he’s now at the center of a fight over evidence that could play a significant role in the government’s case against Manafort.

“People do strange things when confronted with authoritative FBI agents,” said Sol Wisenberg, a criminal defense attorney with Nelson Mullins.

This makes the second Manafort associate known to have aided the government in the sprawling investigation into foreign influence in U.S. politics. Rick Gates, Manafort’s long-time right hand, began cooperating with Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s office in February.

Manafort’s attorneys revealed the information about the second former employee in an April 6, 2018, court filing. In the filing, Manafort’s attorneys asked the federal judge overseeing the prosecution to block documents found in a storage unit in Alexandria, Virginia, from being used as evidence against him. They argue the employee did not have the authority to let the FBI agent look into the storage unit, and that, therefore, the FBI violated Manafort’s Fourth Amendment rights.
So, they tried to hide documents by signing a lease in the employees name and moving the documents there.

If the employee had his name on the lease, then I'd say he was authorized to let the FBI in.



User avatar
Sterngard Friegen
Posts: 43180
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:32 am
Location: Over the drawbridge

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

#487

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:17 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:04 pm
For a man who owns many properties in the U.S. and perhaps in Russia, Ukraine, and other countries, is there any reason to think that he will not abscond if those two properties are at risk?
No reason at all. And his wife can follow him later. But I doubt he will have asylum in Russia. Ukraine would prosecute him.

If he has money stashed away in Rio, that's where he will likely go. But he'll need to change his identity, too. I don't put it past him he's been planning that for years. And now that Deripaska is on the Russian sh!t list, Manafort has one fewer potential assassin to worry about.



User avatar
Maybenaut
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:58 am
Location: Maybelot

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

#488

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:33 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:12 pm

So, they tried to hide documents by signing a lease in the employees name and moving the documents there.

If the employee had his name on the lease, then I'd say he was authorized to let the FBI in.
I don’t think it’s as clear-cut as all that. First of all, I think it would be exceptionally hard to prove that Manafort tried to “hide” the documents. It seems obvious from the pleading (there’s a link to it farther up the thread) that the employee’s renting of the storage unit was just an administrative function. I don’t think anybody else signed his name. He actually did rent it, but he rented it for Manafort.

And the fact that his name is on the lease, while it’s a factor to be considered, doesn’t necessarily mean that he has the authority to consent to the search. If he rented the unit solely for Manafort’s use, and is no longer employed by Manafort, and the sole purpose in renting the unit was so that Manafort could store documents there, I don’t think it matters that the former employee’s name was on the lease (there’s a ton of case law on this, much of which was cited by Manafort’s attorney in the pleading).

I said the other day that I think there is a possibility that a court might find a no actual or apparent authority to consent to the search of the unit. But even if the court finds there was no authority to consent to the search, I really don’t think that the contents of the unit would be suppressed. The court would apply the “good faith” exception to the warrant requirement and say that the law enforcement officials were acting in good faith in executing what turned out to be an invalid warrant.

I also think the Court would say that the agents didn’t learn anything from the prior search other than what the former employee had already told them, which is that there were boxes in the storage unit. They didn’t look in any of the boxes. And although they wouldn’t have known what the labels on the outside of the boxes said, they were searching for evidence of financial crimes, and that evidence is usually found in boxes. In other words, they already had probable cause to search the storage unit before they ever even looked in it. So, no harm, no foul.



User avatar
Addie
Posts: 24866
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am
Location: downstairs

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

#489

Post by Addie » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:48 pm

Bloomberg
Mueller Seeks Subpoenas for 35 Witnesses for Manafort Trial

U.S. Special Counsel Robert Mueller asked a judge in Alexandria, Virginia, to issue 35 sets of subpoenas to witnesses for a July 10 appearance at a trial. That’s when President Donald Trump’s former campaign Chairman Paul Manafort is set to go on trial on tax and bank fraud charges.

Mueller asked for blank subpoenas, with names to be filled in later.


¡Qué vergüenza!

User avatar
Addie
Posts: 24866
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am
Location: downstairs

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

#490

Post by Addie » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:05 am

Reuters
Trump's ex-campaign chief Manafort to seek dismissal of charges

(Reuters) - Paul Manafort, U.S. President Donald Trump's former campaign chairman, will try on Thursday to convince a judge to throw out charges brought by Special Counsel Robert Mueller, arguing Mueller has overstepped his authority.

Manafort, hit with two indictments accusing him of conspiracy against the United States and other crimes, backed away from an earlier request to the same judge for dismissal of the special counsel's charges during an April 4 hearing in a related civil lawsuit.

On Thursday, Manafort's attorney Kevin Downing is expected to tell U.S. District Court Judge Amy Berman Jackson during a hearing in Washington that Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein's order in May 2017 appointing Mueller was overly broad, and that Mueller's case falls outside the boundaries of what he was permitted to investigate.

The hearing gives Manafort a chance to seek dismissal of charges in an indictment against him in Washington before the case can go to trial in September. That indictment charged him with offenses including conspiring to launder money and failing to register as a foreign agent in connection with his lobbying for the Ukrainian government under pro-Russian former President Viktor Yanukovych.

The other indictment, in Alexandria, Virginia, charges Manafort with bank fraud and filing false tax returns, among other offenses. Manafort's lawyer is set to ask for a dismissal of those charges in May.
Adding:
ABC News: Inside Paul Manafort's 6-month fight to meet his $10 million bail


¡Qué vergüenza!

User avatar
Volkonski
Posts: 16011
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:44 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast and North Fork of Long Island
Occupation: Retired Mechanical Engineer

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

#491

Post by Volkonski » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:08 pm

Manafort Suspected of Serving as ‘Back Channel’ to Russia, DOJ Says

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... awyer-says
Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s interest in former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort stemmed in part from his suspected role as a “back channel” between the campaign and Russians intent on meddling in the election, a Justice Department lawyer told a judge.

The disclosure by U.S. prosecutors came Thursday during a hearing on whether Mueller exceeded his authority in indicting Manafort on charges of laundering millions of dollars while acting as an unregistered agent of the Ukrainian government. Manafort’s lawyers say those alleged crimes have nothing to do with Mueller’s central mission -- to determine whether anyone in the Trump campaign had links to the Russian government.

Defense attorney Kevin Downing argued anew to U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson in Washington that even Mueller’s appointment order permitting him to probe “any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation” wouldn’t cover the political consulting work that Manafort did in Ukraine for a decade.

But Justice Department attorney Michael Dreeben said prosecutors were justified in investigating Manafort because he had served as Trump’s campaign chairman.


Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

User avatar
Addie
Posts: 24866
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am
Location: downstairs

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

#492

Post by Addie » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:23 pm

BuzzFeed News
Unsealed Transcripts Shed Light On How Mueller’s Office Ratcheted Up The Pressure On Paul Manafort And Rick Gates

Newly unsealed transcripts in the criminal case against former Trump campaign chair Paul Manafort and his deputy Rick Gates offer a glimpse into how special counsel Robert Mueller’s office ramped up the pressure against the two men at the start of the year.

The transcripts reveal conversations that took place at the bench — out of earshot of members of the public and the press in the courtroom — between the lawyers and the judge during hearings on Jan. 16 and Feb. 14. They show that Manafort and Gates knew at least as far back as mid-January that more charges were coming, but they didn’t know exactly when that would happen.

That new set of charges, filed in federal court in Alexandria, Virginia, wouldn’t become public until more than a month later.

The transcripts, which US District Judge Amy Berman Jackson in Washington, DC, ordered unsealed this week, provide new perspective on Gates’ decision to plead guilty on Feb. 23. They show his lawyers had concerns about their ability to defend charges on multiple fronts. One of his lawyers at the time, Walter Mack, told the judge that, “for a lot of reasons, we feel we can only proceed in one.” He didn’t elaborate. They also show that prosecutors were negotiating with Gates as of Feb. 14.


¡Qué vergüenza!

User avatar
Dan1100
Posts: 2035
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:41 pm

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

#493

Post by Dan1100 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:13 pm



"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin


User avatar
Volkonski
Posts: 16011
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:44 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast and North Fork of Long Island
Occupation: Retired Mechanical Engineer

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

#495

Post by Volkonski » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:38 am


Brian Stelter

@brianstelter

CNN, AP, Politico, NYT, and WashPost "are asking a federal court to unseal records from the criminal case against former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort and the investigation into Russian influence in the 2016 election."
https://www.
cnn.com/2018/04/25/pol
itics/manafort-mueller-media-unseal-documents/index.html

10:28 AM - Apr 25, 2018
Together, the effort by the Associated Press, Politico, The New York Times, The Washington Post and CNN marks the first time anyone outside of the government and defendants requested a judge unseal records related to special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation. The case could become an early test of the court's limits on keeping filings sealed as Mueller's work progresses.

Democrats file suit alleging Russia, Trump campaign, WikiLeaks conspired to interfere in 2016 campaign
The news outlets are asking to unseal all search, seizure and electronic data warrants in the Russia criminal investigation, especially related to Manafort. They also are seeking unredacted versions of filings and transcripts from court actions in the case against Manafort, who continues to fight his charges. Some of the hearing transcripts under seal relate to Manafort's campaign deputy Rick Gates, who has pleaded guilty and is cooperating with prosecutors.

"Under the common law, courts balance the public's right to information about the workings of the criminal justice system against the legitimate countervailing interests of the government; here, that balance tips decisively in favor of the public," the media group's legal team writes.

Many of Manafort and Gates' court filings are already public, and the court unsealed a smattering of hearing transcripts from their case last week.


Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 6163
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

#496

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:48 pm

:popcorn:


"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

User avatar
Addie
Posts: 24866
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am
Location: downstairs

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

#497

Post by Addie » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:11 pm

CNN
Manafort loses effort to challenge Mueller's authority in civil court

(CNN)Former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort has lost his lawsuit claiming that Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein and special counsel Robert Mueller exceeded their authority in charging him with alleged crimes that he says have nothing to do with the 2016 campaign.

A judge said Friday that Manafort can't use this lawsuit to stop the special counsel's office from continuing to pursue an investigation of him.

Rosenstein's order appointing Mueller makes clear that the special counsel is authorized to investigate Russian meddling in the 2016 election, potential links or coordination between Trump campaign associates and the Russians, as well as "any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation."


¡Qué vergüenza!

User avatar
Reality Check
Posts: 14567
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

#498

Post by Reality Check » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:08 pm

:thumbs:


"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

User avatar
bob
Posts: 23548
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:22 pm

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

#499

Post by bob » Tue May 01, 2018 2:03 pm

Oh, :sterngard: !: Reuters: Trump campaign aide Manafort sued by bankruptcy trustee over California property deal:
A bankruptcy trustee has filed a lawsuit against Paul Manafort in California alleging that he falsely claimed he was a creditor owed $2.7 million in a failed real estate deal with his former son-in-law.

The lawsuit, filed by trustee Thomas Casey on Thursday in the federal bankruptcy court in Santa Ana, California, adds to the legal challenges facing Manafort, who was head of Donald Trump’s presidential campaign for a few months in 2016.

* * *

The California lawsuit relates to a $2.7 million deed of trust that Manafort recorded in Los Angeles County that positioned himself as a secured creditor in a luxury property he was developing in partnership with his former son-in-law, Jeffrey Yohai.

The deed of trust was recorded Dec. 20, 2016, one day before the company that owned the property filed for bankruptcy protection to stave off foreclosure by lender Genesis Capital LLC, according to property and court records.


Imagex5 Imagex2 Imagex3 Imagex2


Post Reply

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”