Congressional Ethics Committees: Sexual Harassment Investigations

Addie

Congressional Ethics Committees: Sexual Harassment Investigations

Post by Addie » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:51 pm

Thread title has changed

------------------------------------------

CNN
Congressional Black Caucus member: Conyers should step down as top Dem on House panel

Washington (CNN) Rep. Gregory Meeks, a New York Democrat and a member of the Congressional Black Caucus, said Wednesday that his colleague Rep. John Conyers of Michigan should leave his post as the top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee as he is the subject of a House Ethics Committee investigation.

"No one is exempt from bad behavior, and I think that he's agreed and I clearly see where Leader (Nancy) Pelosi has said there will be an immediate ethics committee, a review," Meeks told CNN's John Berman and Poppy Harlow. "I really think that probably the appropriate thing right now is that he should step down as the ranking member of the Judiciary Committee and be subject to this ethics investigation."

The House Ethics Committee announced on Tuesday that it had opened an investigation into allegations that Conyers, the longest-serving active member of the House, settled a wrongful dismissal complaint in 2015 after allegedly sexually harassing a staffer, according to an explosive report published by BuzzFeed News. Conyers said he is "expressly and vehemently" denying any wrongdoing. ...

Pressed later in the interview, Meeks said that it would "not be appropriate" for Conyers to remain the top Democrat on the committee given the multiple allegations against him. "If he defends himself and says and shows there is nothing there, then he could come back," he said. "But you can't, in my estimation, just in the scenario that we're in to be the ranking member of the Judiciary Committee at this time. I think that he should step down."

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Re: House Ethics Committee: Sexual Harassment Investigations

Post by Addie » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:45 pm

The Hill
Lawyer: ‘Conyers is not going to resign’

An attorney for Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.) says the longtime lawmaker will not resign from his post amid a House Ethics Committee investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct.

"Mr. Conyers is not going to resign," Conyers' attorney, Arnold Reed, told CNN on Wednesday.

"If everybody that was facing 'allegations' -- including the President, members of the House and Senate -- resigned, we'd have a lot of unemployed people walking around," he said, adding that the congressman is taking the allegations against him "very seriously." ...

"At the end of the day, Mr. Conyers is not guilty of harassing these women who have come forward. It didn't happen," he told the news outlet.

The attorney's remarks fall on the heels of a report that includes new allegations against Conyers in which a D.C.-based ethics lawyer alleges the lawmaker harassed and verbally abused her while she worked for him in the 1990s.
Adding:
WaPo: Ethics lawyer says Conyers mistreated her during her years on Capitol Hill

¡Qué vergüenza!

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:35 am

Out of curiosity, is there a statute of limitations on sexual harassment?

bob

Post by bob » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:51 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:35 am
Out of curiosity, is there a statute of limitations on sexual harassment?
Legally, yes.

Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:57 pm

I take this opportunity to make a sincere and complete apology to every woman who has ever encountered me for anything and everything I said, did, and thought.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:57 pm

WaPo
Rep. John Conyers to step aside as ranking Democrat on Judiciary Committee amid ethics probe of sexual harassment claims

Conyers (D-Mich.), the longest-serving member of Congress, said he would not resign his seat and instead would fight the allegations.

“I very much look forward to vindicating myself and my family before the House Committee on Ethics,” he wrote in a letter to House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.).

Pelosi issued a statement in response to Conyers’s departure from the committee: “I particularly take any accusation of sexual harassment very seriously. Any credible accusation must be reviewed by the Ethics Committee expeditiously. We are at a watershed moment on this issue.”

Conyers, 88, settled a sexual harassment allegation brought by a former staffer, putting her on the payroll as a temporary employee and paying out just under $30,000.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Re: Congressional Ethics Committees: Sexual Harassment Investigations

Post by Addie » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:27 pm

The Hill
Senate Ethics Committee opens 'preliminary inquiry' into Franken allegations

The Senate Ethics Committee announced Thursday that it has opened a "preliminary inquiry" into allegations of sexual harassment involving Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.), after the senator and others urged for the committee to look into his past behavior.

"While the Committee does not generally comment on pending matters or matters that may come before it, in this instance, the Committee is publicly confirming that it has opened a preliminary inquiry into Senator Franken's alleged misconduct," the committee said in a statement. ...

The statement, issued by Chairman Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.), Vice Chairman Chris Coons (D-Del.) and a bipartisan group of committee members, comes after Franken apologized after television host and sports broadcaster Leeann Tweeden accused him of groping her in 2006 after a USO tour.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:03 pm

Reuters
House ethics panel launches wide-ranging probe into sexual harassment claims

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. House of Representatives ethics committee has begun a sweeping probe into possible sexual harassment and discrimination by the chamber’s 434 lawmakers and their staff, requesting on Friday a wide range of documents from the congressional compliance office.

In a letter to the office, Susan Brooks, the committee’s Republican chair, and Theodore Deutch, its senior Democrat, requested “that you promptly provide the committee with all records in the possession of the office related to any claims of sexual harassment, discrimination, retaliation or any other employment practice” that involves any current House member, delegate, officer or employee. ...

The ethics committee by law has the power to discipline House members and staff for violating rules “on nondiscimination in employment,” and prohibitions on harassment, Brooks and Deutch wrote.

The compliance office is charged with dispute resolution and enforcement of employment laws for more than 30,000 people who work for Congress. It has recently come under scrutiny for using federal funds to settle claims of sexual misconduct against lawmakers.

In the year through October, it settled eight cases that involved a variety of allegations, including disability discrimination and not paying overtime, with a total of $934,754 awarded to complainants, according to recently released office records. In the last 20 years, it reached a high point in 2007, settling 25 cases for total awards of $4.05 million.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:07 am

Bloomberg
Conyers to Retire Immediately After Sexual-Harassment Allegations

Democratic Representative John Conyers of Michigan, the longest serving House member, announced Tuesday that he’s retiring from Congress immediately amid allegations that he sexually harassed members of his staff.

Conyers, 88, made the announcement in an interview with a Detroit radio station. Last week, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi of California and other Democratic leaders called for his resignation.

¡Qué vergüenza!

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:38 pm

Addie wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:07 am
Bloomberg

Democratic Representative John Conyers of Michigan, the longest serving House member, announced Tuesday that he’s retiring from Congress immediately amid allegations that he sexually harassed members of his staff.

Conyers, 88, made the announcement in an interview with a Detroit radio station. Last week, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi of California and other Democratic leaders called for his resignation.
Congratulations, Democrats, you've lived up to your principles. Doesn't matter that you've made the party even weaker, and left the disadvantaged with one less voice in Congress. Purity is all.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:43 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:38 pm
Addie wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:07 am
Bloomberg

Congratulations, Democrats, you've lived up to your principles. Doesn't matter that you've made the party even weaker, and left the disadvantaged with one less voice in Congress. Purity is all.
And they will scream for Franken to step down, too, even though his accusers are demonstrably politically motivated. In the meantime, the scumbag Republican is going to pay the taxpayers back, so that will be OK with Republicans.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:12 pm

Hell with that.

As far as I'm concerned, the single biggest mistake that the Democratic Party has made in my lifetime was its failure to force Bill Clinton to step down when he got caught having disgraced himself, the Office of President, and particularly when he got caught having lied about it under oath.

Character matters.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:20 pm

I'm certainly not in favor of Franken stepping down - I don't think his misdeeds reach the level of folks like Moore and Trump. However, I did get a chuckle out of one commenter. They suggested if Franken stepped down, Gov. Dayton could appoint Keith Ellison. That would be interesting.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:25 pm

How will Conyers' seat be filled?

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:25 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:25 pm
Special election.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:28 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Special election.
Thanks.

Xtreme1

Post by Xtreme1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:49 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:12 pm
Hell with that.

As far as I'm concerned, the single biggest mistake that the Democratic Party has made in my lifetime was its failure to force Bill Clinton to step down when he got caught having disgraced himself, the Office of President, and particularly when he got caught having lied about it under oath.

Character matters.
Absolutely! A close friend of mine worked the SS Protective Detail during his administration. Some of the behavior exhibited by BOTH of them shocks the conscience. After hearing about just some of the events that occurred, it makes me wonder how the hell they kept the lid on it!!!

“Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.”- Sigmund Freud

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:09 pm

I'm glad Conyers resigned. Screw him. So sick of denial. Sexual harassment of that sort in the workplace is incredibly destructive. Besides, Dems would have no credibility to condemn the fuckhead if he did not. I like that credibility. I predict it's gonna come in handy.

As for Franken, he better stay. For one thing, we still haven't heard that he did anything that wasn't considered a right of passage--accepted, encouraged, and applauded--at any point in history till about a month ago. For another, he fucking owned up and apologized. That is huge. When people admit it and apologize for a specific action, it gets harder to deny the action at large exists.

Just a thought: The main reason the women of Alabama are able to disbelieve "the women" is because of the intentionally fabricated societal belief that "women lie." (Y'know, the way republicans get away with lying that the Dems passed the ACA in the dead of night as a way of covering their own sins).

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:23 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:28 pm
Mikedunford wrote:
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Special election.
Thanks.
I believe his district is roughly D+489%.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:28 pm

Business Insider
Freshman Democratic lawmaker calls out Nancy Pelosi and refuses to resign amid sexual misconduct allegations

Democratic Rep. Ruben Kihuen of Nevada responded to calls for him to step down amid sexual misconduct allegations by vowing not to resign. He admonished House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and other top party brass for allegedly continuing to back his campaign after learning about the allegations made against him last year.

"I do find it interesting that the [Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee], Leader [Nancy] Pelosi and Chairman Ben Ray Lujan — they knew about these allegations last year," Kihuen said, according to ABC News on Tuesday. "They looked into them. They didn't find anything, and they continued investing millions of dollars in my campaign. They went out there and campaigned for me," he said.

According to campaign records, the DCCC reportedly spent at least $3.15 million on Kihuen's campaign in 2016.

Kihuen allegedly made sexual advances toward a former finance director during his congressional campaign, touching her thighs without consent and propositioning her for dates and sex, BuzzFeed reported last week.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:45 pm

I also know some Secret Service agents, but I've never known an agent to gossip about a protectee. in any event, I'm honestly not incredibly concerned with things that remain private - I'm not foolish enough to think that perfection is a viable demand, particularly given all the rumors/stories about past leaders over the centuries. People are flawed; powerful people are no exception.

That changes for me when the leaders' flaws interfere with the ability to do important things. A party that knowingly embraces racists has problems standing as a credible defender of civil rights. A party that knowingly embraces harassers cannot credibly stand as a defender of safe workplaces.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:09 pm

p0rtia wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:09 pm
As for Franken, he better stay. For one thing, we still haven't heard that he did anything that wasn't considered a right of passage--accepted, encouraged, and applauded--at any point in history till about a month ago.[\quote]

Obviously this is moot now, but I cannot see a principle by which Franken could stay which wouldn't affirm the right of Alabama voters to elect Roy Moore. Do you?

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:09 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:12 pm
Hell with that.

Character matters.
Damn straight it does.

Democrats have been apologizing for the Clintons for two decades now:

http://www.businessinsider.com/bill-cli ... ts-2017-11

Now that Al Franken has done the right thing and, along with Conyers, removed the appearance of hypocrisy from the Democrats on this issue (and hopefully turned up the heat on Roy Moore -- regardless of whether or not he wins this election), I think the Democrats are pointed in the right direction. I challenge DejaMoo's assertion that Conyers (and now Fraken) resigning hurts the Democratic Party. How? All I see is a strengthening of their hand in fighting Republican hypocrisy and, at least for Franken (I suspect Conyers will just retire), a chance to restore his integrity. The Democrats are not hurt in any material way that I see, since, without the resignations, anything either men did from here on out would have been tainted.

The only things I want to see out of Democrats right now are competence and integrity. Kudos to Franken and Conyers for demonstrating some of the latter but putting the interest of their country and their party above their own. Now how about a plan for a $1 trillion infrastructure spending bill paid for by a tax hike on the 1% and corporations who register overseas and do business in the US to show us the former?

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:34 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:09 pm

Obviously this is moot now, but I cannot see a principle by which Franken could stay which wouldn't affirm the right of Alabama voters to elect Roy Moore. Do you?
Hi, Slarti-- First, I wasn't aware that the right of Alabama voters to elect Roy Moore was in question. Do you think they do not have that right? That legal right? Second, I do not put Franken's behavior in the same category as Moore's, so I reject the idea that they need to be or are in fact connected by principle. Third, as I've said elsewhere, the thing the two men have in common is, the fact that society encourages, accepts, and/or applauds a continuum of abusive behaviors toward women; changing this is going to be messy and require, IMO, a lot of apology and forgiveness.

I understand why he stepped down, and I am sure some good will come of it, but it is also true that condemning Franken only strengthens the idea that it is better to deny and blame the victims.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:54 pm

I think it is incumbent on us to put pressure on Republican women (and men) in Congress to demand a set of standards to report, expose, hold hearings, and censure or expel members for unwanted sexual behavior by any member of Congress, staff members, or interns. And not tomorrow. Today. Otherwise Republicans are just going to congratulate themselves that several Democrats have been embarrassed and two have been forced to step down and then, nothing.

We need to pressure them into demanding that Farenthold resign. Now. And not let up on it until he does. Don't allow this to be just another situation where Democrats take the high road and Republicans mop the floor with the remains. Don't waste this.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Return to “Congress”