Weird Houses, etc.

Rolodex

Weird Houses, etc.

Post by Rolodex »

We built our current house in 2010 (well, really 2009-10). I have always loved the look of dry stacked stone, so that's what I went for. We used natural stone. The masons were amazing - they just found all the right pieces to stack. They did use mortar, but then used a small stick to scrape out the mortar from the edges so it looks dry stacked. I was in awe watching the men. These were just rock piled in barrels and they put them together like a puzzle and were incredibly fast.

Here's a back corner, but our whole house is stone except for the garage mass.
backcorner.jpg
backcorner.jpg (479.66 KiB) Viewed 196 times
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weird Houses, etc.

Post by AndyinPA »

Lovely!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Weird Houses, etc.

Post by bill_g »

That's very nice rolo. Something to be proud of. Great looking.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Weird Houses, etc.

Post by Maybenaut »

Beautiful!

We live in a truly weird house. It was originally a store. Well, first it was a fruit stand, then it was a store.

We’ve tried to make changes so it looks more like a home and less like a strip mall. We’re putting a garage on the main level, and we took out the storefront windows and replaced them with double hung. The columns in front had these trading-post diagonal braces, and we took out all those columns and replaced them with fewer, larger square columns.
► Show Spoiler
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Weird Houses, etc.

Post by northland10 »

Rolodex wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 7:02 pm We built our current house in 2010 (well, really 2009-10). I have always loved the look of dry stacked stone, so that's what I went for. We used natural stone. The masons were amazing - they just found all the right pieces to stack. They did use mortar, but then used a small stick to scrape out the mortar from the edges so it looks dry stacked. I was in awe watching the men. These were just rock piled in barrels and they put them together like a puzzle and were incredibly fast.

Here's a back corner, but our whole house is stone except for the garage mass.

backcorner.jpg
That is wonderful
101010 :towel:
pipistrelle

Weird Houses, etc.

Post by pipistrelle »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 4:19 pm But the electrical outlet directly above the sink is a nice touch
The apartments in my building have an outlet above the bathroom sinks. It may seem unsafe but it's convenient...
Maybenaut

Weird Houses, etc.

Post by Maybenaut »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 9:46 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 4:19 pm But the electrical outlet directly above the sink is a nice touch
The apartments in my building have an outlet above the bathroom sinks. It may seem unsafe but it's convenient...
As long as it has a GFI, it’s OK, I think
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Weird Houses, etc.

Post by bill_g »

Maybenaut wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 8:48 pm Beautiful!

We live in a truly weird house. It was originally a store. Well, first it was a fruit stand, then it was a store.

We’ve tried to make changes so it looks more like a home and less like a strip mall. We’re putting a garage on the main level, and we took out the storefront windows and replaced them with double hung. The columns in front had these trading-post diagonal braces, and we took out all those columns and replaced them with fewer, larger square columns.
► Show Spoiler
I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but Portland, especially close in Portland where there are some steep hills, people build homes that run down the cliff. At the street level, it looks like a modern 1500sf ranch style home with double garage. No big deal.

Then you step inside and find out it's four stories, all of them stacked on several steel beams that are hammered into the bedrock. Lots of glass on the view side. Two or more floors have cantelever patios with waist high handrails to prevent you from tipping into the 50ft gorge below, and probably into someone elses backyard.

There's a house up there shaped like a 1950's space ship, or like the Seattle Space needle crashed into the side of this mountain. This semi-circular building juts out over open air. The bottom level has the living room with a clear glass floor. Designed and built by an architect of course.

The roads wind like serpents up there. Some of the homes have short wooden or conrete bridges to connect the house to the dirt. They look like driveways at first. Then you realize they have air for a front yard, and their Audi is suspended in space. There are trees everywhere masking the edges.

The neighborhoods are almost magical. Every house is custom. No overall look is trying to be achieved. There will be a tiny fairy tale stone house next to a craftsman next to a square varnished wood and concrete modern home. Someone built a plantation style home. Someone else wanted a fake church with pointy spires and stained glass. It was one of our favorite summertime drives.

Point being - Portland has houses that look just like yours that hug that hill, but give a spectacular view.
Maybenaut

Weird Houses, etc.

Post by Maybenaut »

Our house is three stories. There’s an upstairs with shed dormers on the back. The main floor, and a basement that runs about half the length of the house.
Reddog

Weird Houses, etc.

Post by Reddog »

Maybenaut wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 10:17 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 9:46 pm
As long as it has a working GFI, it’s OK, I think
GFCI’s instructions generally specify that they be tested every month. For the one used regularly close to the sink it will be more important.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”