Congressional Committees: Re 2016 Elections & Russia

Kendra

Re: Congressional Committees: Re 2016 Elections & Russia

Post by Kendra » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:00 am

Not a hearing on Russia, but Sessions is up in front of another committee today and might get some heated questions?

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:23 am

The Hill
Dems find an unlikely attack dog on Russia ...

A soft-spoken and polite former prosecutor, Schiff is in many ways an unlikely attack dog on Russia. In hearings and press appearances, he often eschews sound bites for dense statements drawing connections between the Trump campaign and Moscow.

But Schiff is no stranger to high-level Russia investigations. As a prosecutor in 1990, he convicted the first FBI agent indicted for espionage, Richard Miller, who was found guilty of passing secret documents to the Soviet Union for thousands of dollars in gold and cash.

Allies have praised Schiff’s calm, lawyerly approach, even as Republicans on the committee groan at his frequent TV appearances.

“I’m sure that even as their members go on television to criticize, they, like the president, would wish I wouldn’t be raising these issues publicly,” Schiff told The Hill in a recent interview.

“But I’ve made it clear to them that where they depart from the best interests of the investigation, we have to speak out about it.”

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:46 am

Reuters
Attorney General Sessions says now recalls meeting flagged in Russia probe

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions said Tuesday he now recalls a meeting in March 2016 that has come under scrutiny as part of Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into whether President Donald Trump’s election campaign colluded with Russia.

In testimony before the U.S. House Judiciary Committee, Sessions acknowledged he attended a meeting with George Papadopoulos, a former campaign adviser who pleaded guilty last month to lying to the FBI.

According to court documents, Papadopoulos told the meeting he could help use his Russian connections to broker a meeting between then-candidate Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Sessions had previously testified to Congress he was unaware of communications between the campaign and Russian officials.

¡Qué vergüenza!

June bug

Post by June bug » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:58 pm

As I said in the other thread, Sessions may recall the meeting but he doesn't recall any Russia conversation.
Edit: For more detail, here are his exact words
“I had no recollection of this meeting until I saw these news reports,” Mr Sessions said on Tuesday. “I do now recall the March 2016 meeting at Trump Hotel that Mr. Papadopoulos attended, but I have no clear recollection of the details of what he said at that meeting.”
:snippity: :snippity:
Mr Sessions testified that was still did not remember the details regarding what Mr Papadopoulos had proposed. But he did try to make one thing clear: He said he rejected Mr Papadopoulos’ idea of a Trump-Putin meeting. And the attorney general said pushed back against his suggestion because he thought “it may have been improper”.
So he doesn't remember what he said but he does remember that he "pushed back" against whatever it was.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:02 pm

June bug wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:58 pm
As I said in the other thread, Sessions may recall the meeting but he doesn't recall any Russia conversation.
You mean conversations in Russian, yes?

Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

June bug

Post by June bug » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:05 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:02 pm
June bug wrote:
You mean conversations in Russian, yes?
Of course. They must have happened when he was otherwise occupied. Maybe in the corner counting out his rubles money? :sarcasm:

tek

Post by tek » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:07 pm

June bug wrote:
So he doesn't remember what he said but he does remember that he "pushed back" against whatever it was.
That struck me when I heard it, too..
I listened on and off between meetings. Jeffy is not a very good liar.

There was one point after a Dem had put him through a pretty tough bit of questioning when the chair allowed Sessions rebuttal time.. during which Sessions got all kinds of indignant about being accused of lying about something.. that never came up in the questioning.

He really doesn't know when to shut up. Hard to believe he's a lawyer.

Fast talkin' guys with strange red eyes
Have put things in your head
And started your mind to wonderin'

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:11 pm

I actually got choked up reading this because he's right, you know. No matter how angry I get at the Republicans and especially their supporters, I have to remember that most of us are on the same side: our country's.
Adam Parkhomenko‏ @AdamParkhomenko (Advisor to Hillary Clinton)

1/ Important, please read. Don’t jump to conclusions. Give me a chance to rant.

2/ There are a ton of individuals, yes Democrats are in this column, who attack GOP operatives and Republicans that have spent their life working for the Republican Party.

3/ Many of these GOP operatives that are being attacked are ones that were Never Trump, and spoke out & worked hard against Trump.

Some of these GOP operatives were not in the former, but are now not only consistently speaking out against Trump, BUT

4/ These GOP operatives aren’t just speaking out against Trump, they are speaking out and fighting Republicans they helped elect that aren’t doing the same thing. They see this isn’t just a Trump issue. It’s those elected GOP officials that fail to defend the constitution.

5/ If a Republican consistently is putting their country first, and is on the right side of history now, whether they were or weren’t before we got where we are, stop talking shit to them.

6/ You can tell the ones that were supportive of Trump and have come around all day every single day that if it weren’t for them we wouldn’t be here. But, make that day yesterday.

7/ We have a very serious problem on our hands right now. Yes, we have always had a two party system. Yes, I am a Democrat. But, there are many in the GOP that may not view themselves as a Democrat, but as an American, the same way we do, and have joined us, fellow Americans.

8/ Many things went wrong. Many things are being investigated. Embrace other Americans that are doing the right thing and realize it’s not just Trump, it’s other Republicans they supported who won’t stand up to Trump.

9/ My last comment is, please use this thread to flag Republicans who are consistently doing all they can today to save their country, so we can make sure others know who they are.

10/ We are moving forward. I’m done talking about the past, that goes for Bernie too, I’m over hearing about him, and I’m over engaging yesterday

Talk about the past if it relates to the critical work being done to uncover the truth, which will help save democracy moving forward

11/ so with that, please share Republicans at all levels that are putting their country first consistently every day. And, yes, Democrats that were there and never stopped deserve credit too which I will save for another thread. We are the big tent.

12/ And please read what I said from the start. I’m not talking about Republicans who continue to support the unraveling of the country so many gave everything to build. The ones that fall in the former, should be held accountable, daily.

13/ But when they do come around, welcome them. Stop talking shit about the past. I know someone who always told us to be welcoming and do that. Let’s stick to it.

Follow, and add from here:
@stuartpstevens
@ananavarro
@TheRickWilson
@JWGOP

I’m keeping my list short, go wild, and share some new ones. At all levels. Grassroots activists on up.

One team, defending the constitution, and the country we love.

15/15 I also wanted to include on my initial list:

@NicolleDWallace
@Evan_McMullin

Thanks to all adding on here.

Whether you identify with a local group like Indivisible, you identify as a member of the resistance, you are a diehard Dem, or lifelong Republican, you have to realize there is crossover in what we are seeing because Americans are standing up to save America.

We can only be one team, if we play as one team. To quote the great @IamMinyon, who has said this to me many times over the years, Adam, don’t major in the minors.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:41 pm

:like:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:57 pm

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'd add Bill Kristol to the list. Not that I've become his biggest fan, but he sounds downright reasonable these days.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:02 pm

I noticed that Sessions' faulty memory only kicks in when the subject of Russian contacts comes up, whether it's his contacts or anyone else's. His memory is A-OK on every other subject matter. Good on him! :thumbs:

:sarcasm:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:21 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:11 pm
I actually got choked up reading this because he's right, you know. No matter how angry I get at the Republicans and especially their supporters, I have to remember that most of us are on the same side: our country's.
:snippity:

10/ We are moving forward. I’m done talking about the past, that goes for Bernie too, I’m over hearing about him, and I’m over engaging yesterday

Talk about the past if it relates to the critical work being done to uncover the truth, which will help save democracy moving forward

11/ so with that, please share Republicans at all levels that are putting their country first consistently every day. And, yes, Democrats that were there and never stopped deserve credit too which I will save for another thread. We are the big tent.

12/ And please read what I said from the start. I’m not talking about Republicans who continue to support the unraveling of the country so many gave everything to build. The ones that fall in the former, should be held accountable, daily.

13/ But when they do come around, welcome them. Stop talking shit about the past. I know someone who always told us to be welcoming and do that. Let’s stick to it.

@stuartpstevens
@ananavarro
@TheRickWilson
@JWGOP

I’m keeping my list short, go wild, and share some new ones. At all levels. Grassroots activists on up.

@NicolleDWallace
@Evan_McMullin

Whether you identify with a local group like Indivisible, you identify as a member of the resistance, you are a diehard Dem, or lifelong Republican, you have to realize there is crossover in what we are seeing because Americans are standing up to save America. :snippity:

We can only be one team, if we play as one team. To quote the great @IamMinyon, who has said this to me many times over the years, Adam, don’t major in the minors.
Who is talking shit about or to any of the Republicans mentioned? I haven't seen it. :nope:

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:28 pm

I haven't yet, but I've been strongly considering it.

Because while I have a great deal of respect for their current positions, what I haven't seen from most of them is much in the way of serious reflection on their own role - even if largely just as passive beneficiaries of rage-wing radio - in bringing us to this point.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

June bug

Post by June bug » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:16 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:11 pm

:snippity:

@stuartpstevens
@ananavarro
@TheRickWilson
@JWGOP

@NicolleDWallace
@Evan_McMullin

Whether you identify with a local group like Indivisible, you identify as a member of the resistance, you are a diehard Dem, or lifelong Republican, you have to realize there is crossover in what we are seeing because Americans are standing up to save America.

:gotalink: I'd like to add Steve Schmidt and a few others. Thanks!

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:59 pm

tek wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:07 pm
It's easy to believe he's a lawyer. They run the gamut from great to terrible.

What's impossible to believe is that he's the ATTORNEY GENERAL.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:19 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:59 pm
tek wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:07 pm
It's easy to believe he's a lawyer. They run the gamut from great to terrible.

What's impossible to believe is that he's the ATTORNEY GENERAL.
Cause Teh Donald id soooo proud of all HIS generals ;)

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:34 am

June bug wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:16 pm

June bug

Post by June bug » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:45 am

DejaMoo wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:34 am
June bug wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:16 pm
:oops: Okay, thanks. I misunderstood and thought there was a list online somewhere that could be added to. (Can you tell I don't tweet?)

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:37 pm

CNN
Fusion GPS co-founder: Steele didn't pay sources for dossier on Trump

(CNN) The ex-British intelligence agent who authored the opposition research dossier on President Donald Trump and Russia did not pay the sources he used to compile the document, Fusion GPS co-founder Glenn Simpson testified to congressional Russia investigators, multiple sources familiar with the matter told CNN.

In nearly seven hours of testimony before the House Intelligence Committee, Simpson defended the Trump opposition research dossier compiled by Christopher Steele, arguing that nothing from the dossier had been disproven and some of it had been corroborated, the sources said.

Republicans on the committee pushed back during the interview that many details in the dossier have not been verified -- they said that it's often difficult, if not impossible, to prove a negative, according to the sources.

Simpson added that he is still in regular contact with Steele, who has yet to cooperate with congressional investigators.

Simpson's testimony is the latest volley in the swirl of controversy surrounding the Steele dossier, which has been slammed as a "hoax" by the President.
Adding:
Bloomberg: ‘Trump Dossier’ Firm’s Founder Vouches for It in House, Sources Say[/b]

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:46 am

Politico
Federal judge rejects secrecy in legal fight linked to Trump dossier

A federal judge assigned to a fight between a House committee and the private investigation firm behind the so-called Trump dossier complained Wednesday that too much of the legal battle has been carried out in secret.

At a brief hearing in U.S. District Court in Washington, Judge Richard Leon told lawyers involved in the case that the dispute over the House Intelligence Committee’s demands for the bank records of investigative firm Fusion GPS is of major public significance and needs to be handled with greater transparency.

“If there were ever a case where [public access] is in the best interest of all concerned, this is one,” said Leon, an appointee of President George W. Bush. “This is not the kind of case, in my judgment, where there should be much if any time behind the [closed] door, unless it’s necessary. … I think the arguments can be made in open court on the nonconfidential, discrete legal questions.”

Fusion GPS filed suit last month, seeking to block the House intelligence panel from subpoenaing a large set of the firm’s bank records. The company argued that the broad subpoena violated First Amendment rights by intruding on its relationships with political clients, while the House committee said it needed the information as part of an inquiry into Russian interference in the 2016 election.

Cross-posting this:
The Guardian: How Trump walked into Putin’s web

The inside story of how a former British spy was hired to investigate Russia’s influence on Trump – and uncovered explosive evidence that Moscow had been cultivating Trump for years. By Luke Harding

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:52 pm

McClatchy
Colorful Trump associate Sater will cooperate with Feinstein request

WASHINGTON

Russian émigré and one-time Trump associate Felix Sater will cooperate with a request by the ranking Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee to turn over documents and meet with the committee as part of its investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election.

“Mr. Sater intends to be fully cooperative with any and all government investigations in this matter,” Sater’s lawyer, Robert Wolf, told McClatchy via e-mail.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein on Wednesday requested that Sater meet with the committee this month and turn over documents from 2015 and 2016 related to:
▪ A proposed Trump Tower deal in Russia,

▪ Any actual or proposed visits by Trump to Moscow in 2016,

▪ A visit by Sater to Trump Tower in July 2016,

▪ A Russia-Ukraine peace deal Sater developed with a Ukranian politician and former Trump organization lawyer Michael D. Cohen

▪ Contact Sater had with the Trump campaign and Russian government officials regarding the 2016 election

¡Qué vergüenza!

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:03 pm

:popcorn:

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:13 pm

The Hill
Page delivers subpoenaed documents to Intelligence committees

Former Trump campaign foreign policy adviser Carter Page on Thursday dropped off a bundle of documents under subpoena to both the House and Senate Intelligence Committees, in a brief appearance on Capitol Hill that drew a swarm of public attention.

Page, wearing a red bucket hat, entered the Hart Senate Office Building alone as a massive scrum of reporters gathered outside of the nearby office of Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.), who earlier that morning was accused of groping a woman.

Page told reporters that the Senate Intelligence committee had requested more "irrelevant" documents, which he described as "all" of his business and personal records. That committee, he said, was behaving far less professionally than both the House Intelligence Committee and special counsel Robert Mueller's team.

Page has interviewed with both committees in past weeks as part of their parallel investigations into Russian interference in the U.S. election. He declined to comment on his interactions with Mueller's team.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:41 pm

Politico
Kushner got emails about WikiLeaks, Russia in 2016, lawmakers say

Jared Kushner received emails in September 2016 about WikiLeaks and about a “Russian backdoor overture and dinner invite” and forwarded them to another campaign official, according to a letter to his attorney from the bipartisan leaders of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Committee chairman Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) and ranking Democrat Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) said Kushner failed to turn over the relevant documents when they asked for them last month.

“We appreciate your voluntary cooperation with the Committee’s investigation, but the production appears to have been incomplete,” the pair wrote in a letter dated Thursday to Kushner’s attorney, Abbe Lowell.

In a section of the letter titled “Missing documents,” Grassley and Feinstein said Kushner, President Donald Trump's son-in-law and a senior adviser, had handed over some materials but omitted communications that mentioned some of the people connected to the investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 election.

“If, as you suggest, Mr. Kushner was unaware of, for example, any attempts at Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election, then presumably there would be few communications concerning many of the persons identified,” the lawmakers wrote.
Adding:
Business Insider - Natasha Bertrand: Senate Judiciary Committee: Kushner forwarded emails about 'a Russian backdoor overture and dinner invite'

¡Qué vergüenza!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:11 pm

Kushner has left a smelly trail of dishonesty and game playing.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Return to “Congress”