Barack, Michelle, Sasha and Malia Obama Post Presidency

Estiveo

Re: Barack, Michelle, Sasha and Malia Obama Post Presidency

Post by Estiveo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:38 pm

My understanding is that Amy Sherald only paints portraits of black subjects and always renders the skin in gray tones.

Image Image Image Image Image

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:00 pm

Estiveo wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:38 pm
My understanding is that Amy Sherald only paints portraits of black subjects and always renders the skin in gray tones.

That’s correct. It’s her trademark. Here’s one:
76487114-C4FA-4782-9EA5-DDEC29F69C4B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:34 am

stoppingby wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:32 pm
I love both the Obamas' portraits. But I'm not a fan of traditional portraiture, so I was glad they went with artists who were not traditional. However, I'm not an artist or art expert - I just know what I like.
:yeah:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

June bug

Post by June bug » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:33 am

Whatever4 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:00 pm
Estiveo wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:38 pm

That’s correct. It’s her trademark. Here’s one:

76487114-C4FA-4782-9EA5-DDEC29F69C4B.jpeg
But here the proportions are correct (h/t to Sugar for alerting me to that problem in Michelle's portrait), and there's a stronger contrast between the skin tone and the background. IMO that makes for a more compelling image of the woman.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:59 am

LA Times: How the Obama portraits cheerfully buck the trend of instantly forgettable presidential paintings

¡Qué vergüenza!

HilltownGrrl

Post by HilltownGrrl » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:20 am

I really like both portraits - with two caveats. I wish Obama looked less grim - he has such a mobile face that really shows his emotions & grim wasn't the default. And I wish Michelle's face & hair looked more like her.

If they were just portraits of people I hadn't spent 8 years with, I'd love them unreservedly as really fun, funky art, but because I got to "know" the Obama's, I have those couple of quibbles.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:24 am

HilltownGrrl wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:20 am
I really like both portraits - with two caveats. I wish Obama looked less grim - he has such a mobile face that really shows his emotions & grim wasn't the default. And I wish Michelle's face & hair looked more like her.

If they were just portraits of people I hadn't spent 8 years with, I'd love them unreservedly as really fun, funky art, but because I got to "know" the Obama's, I have those couple of quibbles.
:like:

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:42 am

Addie wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:59 am
LA Times: How the Obama portraits cheerfully buck the trend of instantly forgettable presidential paintings
Thanks for providing the link to this article. Very interesting. And, yes, I'm apparently among the few who really love those paintings.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:27 pm

RVInit wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:42 am
Addie wrote:
Thanks for providing the link to this article. Very interesting. And, yes, I'm apparently among the few who really love those paintings.
I like them too.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:39 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:27 pm
RVInit wrote:
Addie wrote:
I like them too.
Regal, yet down to earth - I agree with that assessment - Michelle Obama exudes that very rare combination, and I think this portrait captures that quality beautifully.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

HilltownGrrl

Post by HilltownGrrl » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:55 pm

RVInit wrote:
Addie wrote:
I like them too.
Well, there's at least three of us who do!

I saw an interesting tweet the day before yesterday from a WOC wanting to see some reviews of the paintings by POC as everything she'd seen was from white writers. She wondered if the reactions would be the same (reading between the lines, it sounded as though she didn't think they would be). I'll have to try to remember to track that tweet down, if I can, to see if she found any or had any response because I'd love to read comments/reviews on them from POC, too.

And thanks for the LA Times link - that was a really good read!

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:58 pm

HilltownGrrl wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:55 pm
RVInit wrote:

I like them too.
Well, there's at least three of us who do!

I saw an interesting tweet the day before yesterday from a WOC wanting to see some reviews of the paintings by POC as everything she'd seen was from white writers. She wondered if the reactions would be the same (reading between the lines, it sounded as though she didn't think they would be). I'll have to try to remember to track that tweet down, if I can, to see if she found any or had any response because I'd love to read reviews from POC, too.

And thanks for the LA Times link - that was a really good read!
Not a scientific study by any means, but all of the WOC in my quilt group today hated it. "Doesn't look like her" and "nobody's skin is that color" were repeated several times.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:01 pm

I think they're okay--I like Michell's the best.

My favorite part is that they are not smiling. That's a big plus for me.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

HilltownGrrl

Post by HilltownGrrl » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:49 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:58 pm
Not a scientific study by any means, but all of the WOC in my quilt group today hated it. "Doesn't look like her" and "nobody's skin is that color" were repeated several times.
Thanks for the report, Sugar!

HilltownGrrl

Post by HilltownGrrl » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:50 pm

p0rtia wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:01 pm
I think they're okay--I like Michell's the best.

My favorite part is that they are not smiling. That's a big plus for me.
I like that they're not smiling, too.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:14 pm

:dance: :lovestruck:
Michelle Obama’s Memoir to Arrive in November
By ANDREW R. CHOWFEB. 25, 2018

Michelle Obama’s memoir, “Becoming,” will hit bookstores on Nov. 13. It will be published by Crown, a Penguin Random House imprint, which acquired world publication rights of it along with a book by former President Barack Obama in February. (The undisclosed details of the deal, which The Financial Times reported at $65 million, have been subject to widespread speculation.)

“Writing ‘Becoming’ has been a deeply personal experience,” Ms. Obama wrote on Twitter on Sunday.

Michelle Obama @MichelleObama
Writing BECOMING has been a deeply personal experience. I talk about my roots and how a girl from the South Side found her voice. I hope my journey inspires readers to find the courage to become whoever they aspire to be. I can't wait to share my story. http://bit.ly/becomingmichelleobama
12:13 PM - Feb 25, 2018

Crown wrote in a statement that the book will also touch on Ms. Obama’s time in the White House, motherhood and her public health campaign and more. The book will be published simultaneously in 24 languages; an audio edition, read by Ms. Obama herself, will be released at the same time. She also announced that a million copies will be donated to First Book, a nonprofit that provides books and learning materials to children.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/25/book ... ss&emc=rss

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:14 am

Here are the most interesting things Obama said in his secret MIT speech

http://www.bostonglobe.com/2018/02/26/h ... 3Afacebook

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:32 am

Michelle Obama will speak at a Simmons conference in Boston
Mark your calendars: Michelle Obama will take part in this year’s Simmons Leadership Conference, which will be held at the Seaport World Trade Center April 5.

Organizers said the former first lady, who has a much-anticipated memoir coming out in the fall, will participate in a “moderated conversation” during the conference’s closing session.

“Mrs. Obama is a passionate and tireless champion of women, families, and young people,” said Judy Benjamin, executive director of SimmonsLEADS. “She is one of the most eloquent speakers of our time. We are deeply honored to host such an inspiring model of grace, positivity, and humility.”

In addition to Obama, speakers will include former Fox News anchor Gretchen Carlson, former president of entertainment for Telemundo Nely Galán, economic strategist Edie Weiner, and former CIA operative Valerie Plame.

The theme of this year’s event, which bills itself as the country’s longest-running women’s leadership conference, is “Disrupt the Ordinary.” It’ll highlight women who have challenged the status quo in their respective fields. More than 3,400 people are expected to attend.

This conference started as my grad school’s annual Leadership conference. I’ve been to a couple — amazing. The first few years were tiny in size and scope. Then one year, the committee said why not go for broke. Get huge speakers, pay them well, and see if we can generate excitement. Well, they did. The conference has outlasted the graduate school that began it.

I’d go but tickets sell out months before speakers are announced. Plus I no longer own appropriate clothing.

-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:47 pm

CNN: Little girl awestruck by Michelle Obama's portrait believes she's 'a queen'

¡Qué vergüenza!

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:25 pm

Now that I’ve had a chance to live with the portraits, I’m finding a lot I like about each. Mr. President looks more African, a serious man. And Michelle...well, she’s a queen.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:07 pm

kate520 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:25 pm
Now that I’ve had a chance to live with the portraits, I’m finding a lot I like about each. Mr. President looks more African, a serious man. And Michelle...well, she’s a queen.
:thumbs:

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:16 pm

Michelle Obama
V‏erified account
@MichelleObama

Parker, I'm so glad I had the chance to meet you today (and for the dance party)! Keep on dreaming big for yourself...and maybe one day I'll proudly look up at a portrait of you!

< i am not able to post the video of Michelle dancing with Parker.>

Michelle Obama meets 2-year-old in awe of her portrait
http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in ... r-portrait

one of the comments on Michelle's tweet
Brandon Horan
‏@brandon_r_horan
45m45 minutes ago
Replying to @MichelleObama

Does anyone else feel like mom and dad have gone on vacation and left us all with a crazy relative and worry they are never coming home?? I feel this way😢

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:45 am

Oh, my. My mascara... :crying:

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:49 pm

New York Times
Obama in Talks to Provide Shows for Netflix

WASHINGTON — Former President Barack Obama is in advanced negotiations with Netflix to produce a series of high-profile shows that will provide him a global platform after his departure from the White House, according to people familiar with the discussions.

Under terms of a proposed deal, which is not yet final, Netflix would pay Mr. Obama and his wife, Michelle, for exclusive content that would be available only on the streaming service, which has nearly 118 million subscribers around the world. The number of episodes and the formats for the shows have not been decided.

Mr. Obama does not intend to use his Netflix shows to directly respond to President Trump or conservative critics, according to people familiar with discussions about the programming. They said the Obamas had talked about producing shows that highlight inspirational stories. ...

In one possible show idea, Mr. Obama could moderate conversations on topics that dominated his presidency — health care, voting rights, immigration, foreign policy, climate change — and that have continued to divide a polarized American electorate during President Trump’s time in office.

Another program could feature Mrs. Obama on topics, like nutrition, that she championed in the White House. The former president and first lady could also lend their brand — and their endorsement — to documentaries or fictional programming on Netflix that align with their beliefs and values.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:26 pm

I happen to be working on a major renovation project at Bouchet Math and Science Academy Elementary school in the South Shore Neighborhood of Chicago. Just finished putting the environmental project manual together.

Bouchet is known for one of its alumni
► Show Spoiler

Return to “President & Executive Branch”