Plutodog

Re: Sheriff Joe Arpaio - General Topic

Post by Plutodog » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:43 pm

Why yes...yes he did! :twisted:

The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

bob

Post by bob » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:41 pm

KTAR: Hillary Clinton attacks Trump, Arpaio in front of over an estimated 10,000 at rally in Tempe:
“(Trump’s) top adviser on immigration is Sheriff Joe Arpaio,” Clinton said. “The person who (was) over the worst pattern of racial profiling by a law enforcement agency in American history and just last week, Sherriff Arpaio was officially charged with contempt of court because he refused to stop racially profiling Latinos. Now imagine Donald Trump appointing the sheriff our next secretary of homeland security to oversee the massive deportation force.”

Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:23 pm

Two items of note -

From Politico - Soros spends $2 million to defeat Arpaio
George Soros has contributed $2 million to a group working to defeat Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio in Arizona, the latest target of Soros’ big spending in local law enforcement campaigns over the past year.
From Mother Jones - A Court Just Blocked a Voting Law That Dems Say Suppressed Minority Turnout
The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals blocked Arizona's law against so-called "ballot harvesting" on Friday, clearing the way for community activists to go door to door collecting completed ballots as part of their get-out-the-vote efforts. The state of Arizona has asked US Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy to issue an immediate stay on the ruling.

:snippity:

Friday's ruling opens the door for community activists to collect ballots and turn them in, a factor that could be key in a state with a number of close races, including Democrats' quest to oust controversial Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio.
More at the links above.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:40 pm

Following the last comment, I attach statements following the 9th Circuit's en banc vote (including a lament by Judge Reinhardt in concurrence that the majority of the en banc panel randomly selected was against the en banc itself, presaging a loss on the injunction motion) and the order granting the injunction, allowing ballot collection. The 9th Circuit did itself proud.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:59 pm

From TalkingPointsMemo -

Supreme Court Allows Arizona Ban On Ballot Collection To Take Effect
The U.S. Supreme Court has reinstated a new Arizona that makes it a felony to collect early ballots.

Saturday's order from the nation's highest court overturns an appeals court decision a day earlier that blocked the new law. The decision is a blow to Democratic get-out-the-vote efforts and groups that had already geared up to help voters deliver their ballots to the polls.

Democrats allege the law hurts minorities' ability to vote.

The decisions come just days ahead of a presidential election that has Arizona Democrats hoping to win the traditionally Republican state.

Arizona filed an emergency appeal hours after the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals blocked the law Friday. Justice Anthony Kennedy referred the case to the entire Supreme Court, and it issued a brief order overturning the appeals court.
(I copied the entire article since it was so short.)

bob

Post by bob » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:20 pm

CNN reports no dissents from SCOTUS' stay. Meaning at least five justices voted to the stay the 9th's injunction.

bob

Post by bob » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:06 pm

Ariz. Rep.: Maricopa County leaves Sheriff Joe Arpaio in charge of voter protection:
Maricopa County deputies will not patrol or station themselves outside polling places, but six will be available to respond to problems if called by county officials.

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, a staunch supporter of Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump, has placed six deputies on standby to respond to problems at polling places Tuesday, despite calls from Latino activists for a different law-enforcement agency to handle voter-intimidation complaints.

The deputies will not patrol or station themselves outside polling places, he said. The sheriff added that he has denied requests from the public and elected officials to post volunteer posse members outside of polling places to watch for potential voter fraud.

"I don't want our posse guys surrounding the place. I don't want any intimidation on the right of people to vote. I don’t think that’s right," Arpaio said. "We’re not doing anything really different than we have every voting cycle."

Latino and election advocates worry Arpaio's deputies could intimidate voters, noting the sheriff is under criminal investigation by the Justice Department for ignoring a judge's orders in a case that found his office engaged in racial-profiling. The advocates called on the Justice Department and local police to take over polling-place protection.

In 2014, the Justice Department replaced the Sheriff's Office as the agency in charge of election monitoring in Hispanic-heavy Guadalupe at the request of town leaders.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:39 pm

Kumar Rao @KumarRaoNYC
MSNBC reporting huge high school walkout in AZ; students going to protest/canvass against Sheriff Joe Arpaio and Trump.

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:51 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Kumar Rao @KumarRaoNYC
MSNBC reporting huge high school walkout in AZ; students going to protest/canvass against Sheriff Joe Arpaio and Trump.
I know this from my 16 year old niece. The kids do not like Trump. It gives me hope.

bob

Post by bob » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:06 pm

According to this election-day special edition of Freedom Friday, Zullo told Gallups that Arpaio is leading in early polling by six percent. :roll:

bob

Post by bob » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:58 pm

NBC: Arpaio 'nervous' about election results.
"I'm nervous, a little," Arpaio said. "Because I want to win and continue on."

Recognizing the chance that he may lose the position he's had for more than 20 years, he remains cautiously optimistic.

"I expect to win," he said.

If he doesn't win, "I'll get to see my wife more," he said, adding he is a senior citizen, and though he has more plans for Maricopa County, he would be OK. Defeat would not be "the end of the world."
:popcorn:

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:48 am

Joe Arpaio out as Maricopa County sheriff

Joe Arpaio has lost his seventh bid for Maricopa County sheriff, ending a 23-year reign that generated controversy, lawsuits and accusations of bias against Latinos while emboldening the strong-borders movement in the U.S.

Arpaio, a Republican, lost to Democrat Paul Penzone.

The longtime sheriff had trailed in some polls by double digits.

Arpaio's loss is a sign of the shifting demographics in Arizona, a traditionally conservative stronghold which has grown more liberal with an influx of Latino and young voters. Ballot measures addressing recreational marijuana and raising the minimum wage were also expected to draw outsize numbers of liberal voters.
http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/ ... story.html

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:21 am

Well that is a small consolation on this crappy day. At least Zullo can go back to selling cars, or being a bouncer at bars or whatever the fuck he does for a day job.

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

bob

Post by bob » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:58 pm

Wonkette: Old Cracker Sheriff Joe Arpaio Loses Re-Election, Still Faces Jail Time (Lock Him Up!):
Enjoy your retirement, you racist old hate-sow. Here’s hoping you eventually die of old age, alone and unloved.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:19 pm

bob wrote:Wonkette: Old Cracker Sheriff Joe Arpaio Loses Re-Election, Still Faces Jail Time (Lock Him Up!):
Enjoy your retirement, you racist old hate-sow. Here’s hoping you eventually die of old age, alone and unloved.
Amazing. Maricopa County ousted a vile dictatorial thug while the country elected one as President. :swoon: :crazy: :rolleye:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

PatGund

Post by PatGund » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:35 pm

Willing to bet money the shitgibbon pardons Arpaio

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:03 pm

PatGund wrote:Willing to bet money the shitgibbon pardons Arpaio
I imagine he's on the list of proposed advisors.

PatGund

Post by PatGund » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:21 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
PatGund wrote:Willing to bet money the shitgibbon pardons Arpaio
I imagine he's on the list of proposed advisors.
And I wouldn't put it past him to name Arpaio to something like "special advisor for immigration", "special investigator for Obama's birth certificate", or some such nonsense.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:34 am

I think a lot of it might depend on whether his popularity is already cratering. He might pardon Arp to throw some red meat at the masses that are suddenly shouting at him to start building the fucking wall.

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

mighty dawg

Post by mighty dawg » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:43 am

Actually, I think that Obama ought to preemptively pardon Arpaio and not give Trump the opportunity to do so, or otherwise interfere with his prosecution. A Trump pardon will make Arpaio out to be a hero while an Obama pardon would embarrass and devalue him till the end of his days. Just think how Obama could frame his decision as sympathy for a doddering and incoherent old man. Obama could cite Arpaio's birtherism as clear evidence of mental illness warranting our empathy rather than our disdain. It would make for a great punctuation point on the whole birther escapade.

As for Zullo, he will live his remaining days obscurity as someone who is severely overdrawn on his fifteen minutes of fame.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" - Albert Einstein

bob

Post by bob » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:50 am

You make reasonable points, but Obama pardoning Arpaio would be viewed as a profound betrayal to his core constituency. The "healing"/"moving forward" would not be worth it.

I am beginning to think Apraio will have sort of role in the next administration. That Zullo and Gallups continue to think they will be relevant would be more amusing under different circumstances.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:38 am

Penzone Will Halt Birth Certificate Investigation
During a recent legal deposition, Arpaio said he was still looking into the authenticity of the document.

"No it's not going to continue and let's be honest it's been going on for four or five years now or longer it's nonsense as far as dollars that have been spent there have been resources wasted," Penzone said.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:13 am

That is why Zullo and Gallups must get the Universe Shattering EvidenceBS out there before the end of the year. Time is running out. :waiting:

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:26 am

Reality Check wrote:That is why Zullo and Gallups must get the Universe Shattering EvidenceBS out there before the end of the year. Time is running out. :waiting:
Last call for the whistleblowers! Just days to final obscurity!

bob

Post by bob » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:36 am

As I commented in the Gallups thread, their plan is throw paper at the next administration, and that will be their further justification for delay.

Return to “General Politics”