Sheriff Joe Arpaio - General Topic

mighty dawg

Re: Sheriff Joe Arpaio - General Topic

Post by mighty dawg » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:08 pm

Roberts: Arpaio's birther quest to continue. Really
Some people dust it off as unimportant. A story cooked up by nut jobs who tend to see black helicopters on every horizon.

Some people say it’s simply untrue. A cunning plot against the president that ultimately turned out to be more wishful thinking than actual fact.

Some people say it’s time to move on, especially given that the smoking gun remains elusive despite, oh, eight years of searching for it.

Fortunately, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio is not some people.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" - Albert Einstein

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:22 pm

mighty dawg wrote:Roberts: Arpaio's birther quest to continue. Really
Some people dust it off as unimportant. A story cooked up by nut jobs who tend to see black helicopters on every horizon.

Some people say it’s simply untrue. A cunning plot against the president that ultimately turned out to be more wishful thinking than actual fact.

Some people say it’s time to move on, especially given that the smoking gun remains elusive despite, oh, eight years of searching for it.

Fortunately, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio is not some people.
The man wants to stay in the self-serving story:
Here’s the statement, light on pronouns but identified by MCSO as written by Zullo and attributed to Arpaio:

“From the beginning, looked into allegations received of a possible forged Government document relating to President Obama’s birth certificate, NOT where he was born. Investigation is still ongoing and at this time cannot clear the document as being authentic.”

Arpaio was curiously unavailable to explain this particular piece of loony tunes or why it falls to a sheriff in Arizona.

Why always Arizona?

The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

Cato2

Post by Cato2 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:29 pm

For the life of me I do not know why he is in office. He use to have cams in the booking area of both male and female a few years back. Maybe he still does. Hey joe innocent until proven guilty. No privacy, 4 ft wall only thing blocking cam for those sexes in the holding tanks.

mighty dawg

Post by mighty dawg » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:21 pm

Cato2 wrote:For the life of me I do not know why he is in office. He use to have cams in the booking area of both male and female a few years back. Maybe he still does. Hey joe innocent until proven guilty. No privacy, 4 ft wall only thing blocking cam for those sexes in the holding tanks.
Actually cams in the booking area is standard practice. And, no one is guaranteed privacy once arrested. Most modern booking areas attempt to allow arrestees to sit in a secure lobby like environment watching tv while they are being processed so long as you behave. Individuals unable to behave themselves end up in holding cells. Those with real problems may find themselves in a rubber room. Surveillance is necessary because one of the most likely times someone might commit suicide is while being held in booking.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" - Albert Einstein

Cato2

Post by Cato2 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:04 am

I was not aware of that. It does make sense for suicide prevention. Part of that is I do not find myself in a holding cell to experience it first hand. It just seemed to me strange that the cams also pointed to the woman side. But there is also he fact that these cams were accessible from the internet.

mighty dawg

Post by mighty dawg » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:43 am

Cato2 wrote:I was not aware of that. It does make sense for suicide prevention. Part of that is I do not find myself in a holding cell to experience it first hand. It just seemed to me strange that the cams also pointed to the woman side. But there is also he fact that these cams were accessible from the internet.

Now that is unusual. I was not aware Arpaio was giving the public online access to views from security cameras in the booking area. Apart from the fact that it's clearly for publicity purposes, I actually think doing such a thing might present a security or safety risk.

I've built a large metropolitan jail so I am familiar with what goes into the planning, design, construction and operations for one.

What's truly duplicitous about Arpaio is how he showcases his tent city jail to the public as his low-cost tough-on-crime solution to housing inmates, yet he runs one of the largest conventional jails in the country. While he's outfitting his offenders in pink underwear and feeding them baloney sandwiches three times a day, he doesn't like to talk about the cost overruns and expensive to operate his regular jail which houses the vast majority of individuals in his custody.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:51 am

Mimi can't post this herself because of internet problems. Arpaio still doing his birther thing:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli ... /90770204/

bob

Post by bob » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:42 am

NMgirl wrote:Mimi can't post this herself because of internet problems. Arpaio still doing his birther thing:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli ... /90770204/
Zullo, however, said that he was not sure whether Obama was not born in the United States. He also said an unnamed official high up in Kapiolani Medical Center for Women and Children in Honolulu, the hospital listed on Obama's birth certificate, has “assured me that birth never took place there, and I believe him.”

Imagex5 Imagex2 Imagex3 Imagex2

realist

Post by realist » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:47 am

Zullo, however, said that he was not sure whether Obama was not born in the United States. He also said an unnamed official high up in Kapiolani Medical Center for Women and Children in Honolulu, the hospital listed on Obama's birth certificate, has “assured me that birth never took place there, and I believe him.”
Ignoring all real and credible evidence to the contrary.

Zullo is brilliant. :roll:

ImageX 4 ImageX36

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:46 pm

realist wrote:
Ignoring all real and credible evidence to the contrary.

Zullo is brilliant. :roll:
Show a little respect, it is Commander Zullo!
:rotflmao:

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:34 pm

Actually, according to Judge Snow it's "Posseman Zullo." Which pretty much says it all.

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:17 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:Actually, according to Judge Snow it's "Posseman Zullo." Which pretty much says it all.
I think Judge Snow was just showing judicial restraint...he really wanted to call him "Horse's Ass" Zullo. A more accurate description of where Zullo keeps his head.

vic

Post by vic » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:37 pm

Jim wrote:
Sterngard Friegen wrote:Actually, according to Judge Snow it's "Posseman Zullo." Which pretty much says it all.
I think Judge Snow was just showing judicial restraint...he really wanted to call him "Horse's Ass" Zullo. A more accurate description of where Zullo keeps his head.

I've always read it as poseurman Zullo.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:46 pm

:rimshot:

Cato2

Post by Cato2 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:03 am

mighty dawg wrote:
Cato2 wrote:I was not aware of that. It does make sense for suicide prevention. Part of that is I do not find myself in a holding cell to experience it first hand. It just seemed to me strange that the cams also pointed to the woman side. But there is also he fact that these cams were accessible from the internet.

Now that is unusual. I was not aware Arpaio was giving the public online access to views from security cameras in the booking area. Apart from the fact that it's clearly for publicity purposes, I actually think doing such a thing might present a security or safety risk.

I've built a large metropolitan jail so I am familiar with what goes into the planning, design, construction and operations for one.

What's truly duplicitous about Arpaio is how he showcases his tent city jail to the public as his low-cost tough-on-crime solution to housing inmates, yet he runs one of the largest conventional jails in the country. While he's outfitting his offenders in pink underwear and feeding them baloney sandwiches three times a day, he doesn't like to talk about the cost overruns and expensive to operate his regular jail which houses the vast majority of individuals in his custody.
That's is what I found myself thinking. Innocent until proven guilty. His tent city is doing the same thing for him. He has gone in there with news crews to film within the tent area itself. With this sheriff you are guilty until proven innocent imo.

The more abstract is form, the more clear and direct its appeal.

mighty dawg

Post by mighty dawg » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:06 pm

Roberts: Arpaio: 'Tents ... going to stay'
Faced with the need to cut $8 million in spending, Arpaio had two choices.

He could:

a. Close a mostly empty Tent City Jail – the symbol of Arpaio’s tough-on-crime schtick and scene of so many of his publicity stunts – and move the inmates to another half empty jail.

Or b. Eliminate pay raises for his detention officers and kill several programs, including MCSO’s special response team, a group of highly trained officers who handle the most dangerous inmates.

Clearly, this was a no-brainer.

Those MCSO employees will just have to get by without a raise this year and the protection afforded by the special response team.
Secret Recording: Joe Arpaio Tells Employees Tent City Is 'Gonna Stay' Because 'I Run This Organization'
When Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio is under oath, in a deposition or during a trial, he invariably describes his management style in Reaganesque terms, asserting that he delegates the responsibilities of his office to underlings. This allows Arpaio to pass the proverbial buck to subordinates, keeping the sheriff insulated, in most cases, from legal consequence.

But when Arpaio is not under oath, he is the undisputed jefe, the "shurf," the top shot caller, whose word is law to the MCSO's more than 3,000 deputies, detention officers, and staff, not to mention the thousands of inmates in his custody on any given day.

Case in point: two audio clips from a recording of a ceremony Wednesday at the MCSO's training facility to honor employees of the quarter from every department. Arpaio was on hand to congratulate the winners, and he prattled on for about 45 minutes before a captive audience of about 100.

An attendee who asked not to be named taped most of Arpaio's informal address and made it available to New Times. And while most of the recording is full of Arpaio's standard blather, Arpaio made reference to a recent controversy over a decision not to close Tent City, making sure that those present knew that he is the one who made the call to keep the infamous open-air detention facility operational.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:07 am

And this should come as a surprise to no one, except possibly his own legal team with whom he must not communicate much at all. He just maeks the messes and they are supposed to shove it under the carpet after him. Seems to be working real well, too, also..... :sarcastic:

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

bob

Post by bob » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:08 pm

PNT (Lemons): Arpaio Slimes Penzone with Old, False Allegation, Penzone Says He Will Sue.

PNT's site keeps crashing on me, so :torches: further sayeth naught.

tek

Post by tek » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:18 pm

So help me out here.. I'm an old, so maybe I forget..

Isn't this "forged document" that Joey and Mikey are "investigating" actually a compressed image of a document?
How can that be forensically investigated?

I know we here have been over this many times, but I can't get my head around the fundamental problem.. I guess it is true that a sucker is born every minute.

And I guess I just don't have what it takes to be a grifter :(

That right-wing hooey sure stunk up the joint

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:42 am

Quick answer: it can't. Any digital image of such a document can be manipulated to look authentic OR inauthentic. Zero probative value.

Arpaio fans and birther wingnuts don't care. As long as they hear "Obama bad!" they'll believe anything that "proves" it.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

bob

Post by bob » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:41 pm

Phoenix Bus. J.: Arpaio raises $12M, spends $11M in re-election fight; loses lawsuit against Hines over fall:
Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has raised more than $12 million, spent $10.8 million of that and has $1.2 million in cash on hand as he faces a nasty and tough re-election challenge from former Phoenix Police officer Paul Penzone.

A Maricopa Superior Court has dismissed a slip-and-fall lawsuit Arpaio brought against Hines Interests the owner of the Renaissance Square office development.

Arpaio fell and broke his shoulder at the downtown office complex in 2013 and sued Hines over the fall. The Associated Press reports Arpaio’s attorney said they may appeal the decision.

bob

Post by bob » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:37 pm

Ariz. Rep.: Democratic challenger Paul Penzone sues Sheriff Joe Arpaio for defamation in race for sheriff:
Paul Penzone, the Democrat running to unseat Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, is fighting back against an attack ad by suing his opponent for defamation in an intense, nasty race.

When Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio faced off against Democratic challenger Paul Penzone four years ago, his campaign used an attack ad that dredged up an ugly incident from Penzone’s past involving a fight with his ex-wife.

In this year’s rematch, Arpaio is running a similar TV ad, alleging that Penzone assaulted his ex-wife.
But this time, Penzone launched a website aimed at pre-empting Arpaio’s charges. He got an affidavit from his ex-wife stating the allegations of domestic violence were "totally off base." And on Thursday, he filed suit against Arpaio on the most recent ad, which focuses on protective orders between Penzone and his ex-wife that were filed 13 years ago.

Penzone said his lawsuit does not seek to block the ad, which labels Penzone as “too dangerous” and “wrong for sheriff,” because a request for a restraining order is unlikely to pass First Amendment scrutiny. Instead, Penzone is seeking damages from Arpaio personally, to be multiplied each time an ad airs.

bob

Post by bob » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:47 pm

Ariz. Rep.: Our View: Elect Paul Penzone, not Sheriff Showboat:
Endorsement: It's time Maricopa County had a sheriff who serves the people, not himself.

Maricopa County is home to about 4 million people. Sheriff Joe Arpaio does a good job of serving one of them: himself.

Voters should reject the Showboat Sheriff’s bid for a seventh term and elect Paul Penzone.
Ariz. Rep.: Roberts: New poll shows Penzone leading Arpaio:
A new poll of likely voters shows Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio trailing Democrat Paul Penzone by 10 points.

And that’s before Tuesday’s announcement that Arpaio will face criminal contempt charges.

The live poll of 348 Maricopa County voters – people who voted in three of the last four general elections -- found Penzone favored by 50.86 percent and Arpaio by 40.52 percent.

That narrows to 5 points, given the 5.2 percent margin of error.

The poll, conducted Oct. 2-5 by Sherpa Public Affairs, shows some big red flags for Arpaio.

Results indicate he's losing among men (38%-55%), independents (38%-53%) and voters age 50-64 (45%-51%). The only age group he carried was the over-65 crowd (50%-41%) Women, meanwhile, appear up for grabs, supporting Penzone over Arpaio, 47-42%, which is within the margin of error.

Arpaio and Penzone split the white vote while Hispanics broke three-to-one for Penzone.

bob

Post by bob » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:53 pm

bob

Post by bob » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:37 pm

P&E: Sheriff Joe Arpaio: “It’s all About Illegal Immigration”:
“DEPLORABLE DOJ”

An advertisement posted on YouTube on Thursday by the campaign of Maricopa County, AZ Sheriff Joseph M. Arpaio depicts Arpaio asking why the U.S. Department of Justice is pursuing a criminal contempt charge against him when Democrat presidential nominee Hillary Clinton was not prosecuted for sending classified information over her private, unsecured server while she was Secretary of State under Barack Hussein Obama.

The ad is titled “Deplorable DOJ,” which is perhaps in a twist on Clinton’s term for Donald Trump supporters made at a New York City fundraiser in early September.
Rondeau's 'net surfing is newsworthy! The ad:

The genius running Arpaio's campaign left the comments section open. :towel:

Return to “General Politics”