Republicans Behaving Typically

Sterngard Friegen

Re: Republicans Behaving Normally

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:16 pm

The same people they denigrate are the ones they shamelessly manipulate for votes. Don't forget that little tidbit.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:21 pm

TollandRCR wrote:That is not a Republican point of view. It is simple historical fact. You can read Goldsmith's sentimental The Deserted Village with longing for a way of life long past, but then also read Crabbe “The Village” for the full story of what life in that village had long been.
That part I don't have a quibble with.

The issue I have is that the Republican establishment (I think we can agree that NRO is about as establishment as it gets) is blaming the poor whites for the current situation. This, to me, represents arrogance, entitlement, and stupidity in equal - and massive - measure. It's their fault that they're poor, because they haven't U-hauled it out of there, so fuck 'em.

But it's the Republican establishment that lead the charge to cut the education and entrepreneurship programs that would have allowed the preservation of some structure in some of these communities. It's the Republican establishment that provided incentives to the MNEs that hastened the death of these communities. And it's the Republican establishment that continues to fight any push to provide re-training and relocation benefits to those willing to relocate in pursuit of a better life.

It's also the Republican establishment that, to a certain extent, has thrived off the cult of rural manhood that views - and depicts - those who relocate to the cities as being lesser, more effete, than then manly men of the rural countryside. It's the Republican establishment that turned "urban" into a synonym for "black," and as something to be feared and fought. It's the Republican establishment that has done everything it could to feed and grow the white working class rage.

And, now that the white working class rage is consuming the Republican Party, the Republican establishment has decided that the white working class rage is the fault of laziness, resistance to change, and an entitlement mentality among working class whites. And that is fucking outrageous on so many levels that I seriously cannot decide where to begin.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:16 pm

TollandRCR wrote:The excerpts quoted from the National Review article say in hard language what sociologists and others have been saying for decades: people must adapt to the social and economic changes that are occurring around them. Sure, it is sad that the old town can no longer survive and that the old human ties must be broken. Sometimes you have to do what other people have done for millennia: pick up stakes and move on to where there is opportunity.
This is what Reagan said to the steelworkers and other Rust Belt workers whose plants were shutting down and whose jobs were disappearing in the 80s. He told them it wasn't up to government to find them jobs, it was up to them to move to where the jobs were. When this was happening in the Rust Belt and other large urban areas, people in rural and lower-wage areas dished out the tough love. They blamed the liberals and the unions. Their lower wages did buy them time. But eventually even the factories in their areas began closing down. When that happened, they, too, expected help from the government. They only got angry once they, too, got little or no assistance.

This is the mindset that drives me mad: the idea that when it happens to you it doesn't matter, but when it happens to me, it's now (or should be) a national crisis. It's not a political thing, it's a character defect. It's the inability to see beyond one's own life, and especially the inability to value other people as much as you value yourself. And it is so adroitly exploited by the powerful: all they have to do is make each of these self-centered individuals feel special, feel powerful, and reinforce their idea that they're better than everyone else, so they don't need to join forces with anyone else. Their self-chosen isolation from the group doesn't make them stronger, but they don't realize that - until the inevitable day of reckoning. Suddenly, rage. How could this have happened to them?

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:47 am

I think we can delete the word "Republican" and just talk about "the Establishment." FDR and perhaps LBJ would have dealt with the contemporary problems that each of you cite. Which Democratic President after them would have done so? It was under Bill Clinton that we had welfare reform, which Robert Reich rightly saw as causing great harm to the poor. It was under Bill Clinton that the largest parts of the old Standard Oil Trust were reassembled into Exxon-Mobil. No Democratic President has put up a fight against farm subsidies, which aid corporate farmers, not small family farmers and ranchers. No Democratic President has fought free trade deals, which necessarily reconfigure job markets worldwide.

In the short run (years to decades) government policies can alleviate some of the human misery associated with socioeconomic change. I don't think that such policies can stop the flow of historical change. Maybe Harney County, Oregon, was once the state's richest county as measured by per capita income. It can never be that again. We as a society have decided not to permit the kind of logging that would occur in Harney if there were no regulations. We as a society have decided to preserve large tracts of land for the beings that dwell there and those that visit gently. We seem to be reducing our consumption of beef on a steady trend, and in any event ranching in Harney puts the land and the cattle too close to the edge of ruin.

The young are the ones who pick up the U-Hauls and move. They see no opportunity for themselves in the depopulating areas of our country. As they move off the rural landscape to the cities, they are doing us all a great good. Paolo Soleri was right: we can live more gently upon the land if we come together in intelligent, efficient cities. Cities are probably the only way that we are going to reduce significantly the human impacts upon the environment. That means that we must get beyond the nostalgia that ties us to a place and a way of life, and learn how to live and work differently. This is as true in Asia or Africa as it is in North America.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:16 am

TollandRCR wrote:As they move off the rural landscape to the cities, they are doing us all a great good. Paolo Soleri was right: we can live more gently upon the land if we come together in intelligent, efficient cities. Cities are probably the only way that we are going to reduce significantly the human impacts upon the environment.
Last night at the Wake Progressive Dems meeting, the speaker from Common Cause said that for the first time in history, NC has reached the point where a majority of the population (barely) is in cities, and not rural.

He also pointed out that our population is larger than Michigan's, which is why it puzzled him that the primary results in Michigan were prominently discussed on all the Tee Vee networks, while you had to search the channels to find out what was happening in the Old North State. :boxing:

... and how does that make you feel?
What is it you are trying to say?
:think:

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:42 pm

GOP Blocks Pentagon Climate Plan

DOD and other national security experts have warned that climate change is a national security threat, but Republicans who voted against funding the Pentagon’s climate plan said it was a distraction from other threats.

Experts say the DOD climate directive, which was released in January, would save the organization money in the long run and help the U.S. prepare for climate change.

“It’s actually crazy to me and it should be crazy to anyone in the military, that Congress is telling them not to do this,” Andrew Holland, the senior fellow for energy and climate at the American Security Project, said.
http://ecowatch.com/2016/06/24/gop-bloc ... mate-plan/

In the Trump era anything is true if enough people believe it.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:12 pm

There seems to be no limit on how clueless some people can be :brickwallsmall:

Missouri Muslims Fear For Their Safety After Politician Sells Fake ‘ISIS Hunting Permits’

A Missouri candidate for governor is raising money for his campaign by selling fake “ISIS hunting permits,” frustrating local Muslims who say the stickers perpetuate anti-Islam sentiment.

According to the Associated Press, Missouri Republican gubernatorial candidate Eric Greitens sent out a fundraising email last Wednesday offering up bumper stickers emblazoned with the words “ISIS HUNTING PERMIT 2016” and featuring an expiration date that ends when “we defeat this evil.” Greitens is reportedly selling the stickers for $10 each, although buyers who donate $100 can receive a tag signed by former Navy SEAL Rob O'Neill, who has claimed he killed international terrorist Osama bin Laden.

The stickers have proven wildly successful, and the campaign has stated that they are already sold out. But the local Islamic community is expressing fears that while the inflammatory rhetoric is directed at ISIS, it could embolden assaults on ordinary Muslims, especially in the wake of rising anti-Muslim sentiment that includes scores of attacks on Muslim Americans and their houses of worship.

“When [people] get a bumper sticker saying ‘Here’s your permit to attack ISIS,’ and they see a young Muslim lady at Wal-Mart, and they’re like, ‘This is ISIS, I’m going to attack them,’ that’s when the real trouble begins,” Faizen Syed, spokesperson for the Missouri chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, told FOX 2 news.
More here
http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2016/ ... ng-permit/

Birfers are toast

bob

Post by bob » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:34 pm

Daily News: Bill O'Reilly shares photos of Barack Obama in traditional Muslim dress he claims are from half-brother Malik's wedding saying they prove his 'deep emotional ties to Islam':
Bill O'Reilly shared photos of Barack Obama in traditional Islamic dress on his program Wednesday night claiming they were from his half-brother Malik's wedding.

The Fox News host said it was 'very difficult' to verify the exact location of the photographs - a similar set of which were first released back in 2004 by Malik and previously published on DailyMail.com - but claimed they were taken in Maryland in the early 1990s.

Imagex5 Imagex2 Imagex3 Imagex2

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:49 am

KTLA 5 Morning News
57 mins ·
Michael Folk is a member of West Virginia's House of Delegates and a United Airlines pilot. The company tweeted on its official account that it was "investigating" Folk's remark.
(I am unable to post the tweet image - see this facebook post or the link below for a screenshot on twitter)

West Virginia Lawmaker: Hillary Clinton Should Be ‘Hung’ on National Mall

A West Virginia lawmaker said Saturday he regrets tweeting that Hillary Clinton should be “hung on the mall in Washington, D.C.,” as punishment for her use of a private email server as secretary of state.

But Michael Folk, a member of West Virginia’s House of Delegates, said he still believes Clinton should be tried for treason after an FBI investigation determined she handled classified information on the server. The FBI recommended earlier this month that charges not be brought against Clinton or her staffers.

“I do think she should be tried and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law,” Folk told CNN Saturday. But as for being hanged, he said, “No, my gosh. That was the hyperbole in the statement.”
Folk, a commercial pilot, is employed by United Airlines, and the company tweeted on its official account that it was “investigating” the remark. <SNIP>
http://ktla.com/2016/07/16/republican-l ... to-hanged/

the screenshot of @MichaelFolk34's now deleted tweet

Trending on Facebook
michael folk hillary clinton west virginia hung
Michael Folk: West Virginia House of Delegates Member Says Hillary Clinton Should Be 'Tried' and 'Hung'
Folk, a Republican, tweeted Friday that Clinton should be "tried for treason, murder, and crimes against the US Constitution... then hung on the Mall in Washington, DC."

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:03 pm

Another day in the new, improved GOP that's not at all like Trump.

They call it "distasteful". Yeah, that's all it is.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:23 pm

In the way that 3 week old pork is "distasteful."

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:41 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-VfFi6Z14Q

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:08 pm

I looked at some other videos about Eric Gratiens, the guy with the big guns running for Governor. Some Navy Seals are upsetting that he is exaggerating his service with the SEALS and have made a video about it which has caused quite a controversy. They say that he his running on their record and not his. (Sounds like stolen valor to me.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVqU97_duGs

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:20 pm

Here's the video the SEALs made about Eric Gratiens and his exaggerations about his service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n80ED088t5A

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:26 pm

esseff44 wrote:Here's the video the SEALs made about Eric Gratiens and his exaggerations about his service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n80ED088t5A
"exaggerations" ? Sounds rather damning. How does the general public react to such presentations (likely to early to ask for this specific one)?

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:33 am

Very interesting. Compelling.

Just a quick question. How would someone characterize the difference between this and the swiftboating of John Kerry?

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:43 am

Whatever4 wrote:Very interesting. Compelling.

Just a quick question. How would someone characterize the difference between this and the swiftboating of John Kerry?
IOKIYAR

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:58 am

Lt. Kerry actually won three Purple Hearts (I can't even think that without thinking of the *Shrub/Kerry jibjab ;) ) This guy took up valuable space in the SEAL training program and then was never assigned to a unit. Wonder why? His choice? The Navy's?

The two men in the first video have been on him for a while about this, they said. His valor isn't stolen, but exaggerated. Ive never understood why people would do that in public, with a huge audience. I can understand in your private life where there probably aren't people who will research your claims, but once you start with the big time someone is bound to check.

* http://www.jibjab.com/originals/this_land

ICYMI

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:02 pm

kate520 wrote:Lt. Kerry actually won three Purple Hearts (I can't even think that without thinking of the *Shrub/Kerry jibjab ;) ) This guy took up valuable space in the SEAL training program and then was never assigned to a unit. Wonder why? His choice? The Navy's?

ICYMI
He left to become a White House Fellow, then went back into the Reserves. He certainly exaggerated his work with the seals.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:07 pm

Or not... the counter video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5baUqF0 ... e=youtu.be

-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:24 pm

OK, here's part of his record. https://web.archive.org/web/20160216171 ... record.pdf

Maybenaut -- how's this look compared to the claims?

-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:33 pm

The anti-Greitens claim Greiten is exaggerating his Seal experience. I don't know enough about Seals to know if their service is typically all done is Seal commands or if they can go on to other units and claim to be Seals. Is it like law students who may graduate and pass the bar but never serve as attorneys?

I'm in a research state of mind lately. This one interests me.

-- Sen. King (R-ME)

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:42 pm

Greitans won the GOP nomination for Governor in a grueling, expensive 4-way race. Greitans had large amounts of cash from out of state donors pouring in. (It included the suicide of one candidate that set off a chain of controversies.)

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt ... 20f39.html

The Grietans rebuttal film depends heavily on a fitness report. I would like one of our former military members to compare the films and evaluate them.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:51 pm

From the Missouri Times: http://themissouritimes.com/27600/navy- ... -greitens/
“It sickens me to hear someone tell people they were a Navy SEAL and a war hero without ever even having served on a platoon,” one SEAL noted. “Eric misleads the American people into believing that he was a Navy SEAL war hero, but he never served as an officer leading SEALs on missions. He earned his SEAL trident, but he never served in the capacity he leads people to think he did. He is the only SEAL officer that I’ve ever heard of who didn’t lead a SEAL platoon.”
Greitens’ former commander said that Greitens did apply to be an assistant commander under him but wasn’t chosen. It was at that point he looked for other opportunities outside of the SEALs, ultimately left to become a White House fellow.

“When you look at the fitness reports he provided, he released reports from when he was a reservist,” one SEAL said. “I didn’t see reports where he was ranked against his peers. That says a lot.”

At the time Greitens was trained to be a SEAL, there were more SEALs than positions on missions to serve on. The group contends that Greitens served two years of training before joining SEAL Team One and served on a Special Boat Unit after that.

“When you commit to be a SEAL you are committing to the taxpayers to serve four years,” one SEAL explained. “It takes approximately two years to get through training, and the vast majority serve at least four more after they finish training out of a sense of obligation to each other. In our culture, it’s not just about getting your Trident then getting out to talk about it, especially when you never served in a platoon. There is very little respect for a guy who serves the bare minimum of two years after getting his Trident and then gets out, especially if he then promotes himself through being a SEAL which is expressly forbidden by our ethos.”
One Navy SEAL, who said he has served for over 20 years and has even had his name on a flyer in Iraq calling for his death, called Greitens’ claims about his military record so disingenuous they bordered on offensive.

“It is a disgrace on our community,” he said. “This guy is just riding on our coattails and on the coattails of our valor. What leadership did you have, what did you learn about leadership in two years? In the time when we needed people the most, at the height of the war, he says ‘No, I’m just going to go a different route.’ It’s a disgrace… What happened to the silent professional?”
So I'm inferring that he didn't want to serve on a Seal Team/Platoon as a mere Team Member, but searched out officer opportunities. That ticks off Seals who say it's all about the team not the individual. Does that make sense with what they've said?

-- Sen. King (R-ME)

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:53 pm

Whatever4 wrote:OK, here's part of his record. https://web.archive.org/web/20160216171 ... record.pdf

Maybenaut -- how's this look compared to the claims?
That is completely different from the officer FITREPs they had when I was in the USNR. Ours were graded on an A through J (I think J) scale. Anything more than a couple of B's was deadly. One C was deadly. Kiss your promotions goodbye if you got a C. I really don't know what to say about this one.

Mnoho lidí se za našeho prezidenta stydí.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

Return to “General Politics”