Gun Rights / 2nd Amendment

mimi

Gun Rights / 2nd Amendment

Post by mimi » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:09 pm

Merooni tweets:Just say NO! Angry citizens arm in defiance of order!No one killed! [/break1]co/7R9vHdq8]http://t.co/7R9vHdq8 #phnm #tcot #teaparty #chitpp #iorca #sgp #twistersGreat. Nobody was killed. Today.Here's the link:Angry citizens arm in defiance of order- no one killed!David Codrea, Gun Rights ExaminerSeptember 16, 2011 - Armed citizens, upset by a government disarmament edict, confronted the Ruidoso, New Mexico city council Tuesday night in defiance of an executive order from the mayor banning guns on city property, KRQE reports. Yet despite what anchor Dick Knipfing describes as “powerful emotions,” dozens of armed citizens conducted themselves peaceably, controlling themselves and their anger against what activist and New Mexico Militia leader Bob Wright called the act of a “tyrant.”Larry Pratt of Gun Owners of America, who made a special point of flying in and appearing armed, offered a cogent rebuttal to Ruidoso Mayor Ray Alborn’s loopy contention that ordering the people he works for disarmed would leave meetings “unprotected”:a bunch more here:[/break1]examiner.com/gun-rights-in-national/angry-citizens-arm-defiance-of-order-no-one-killed]http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-n ... one-killedHere's the story from KRQE:Gun owners from down the road and from around the country, packed council chambers to give the mayor an earful about his executive order banning guns from village government buildings and meetings.They ignored the ban to prove their point. Guns were very visible but the only shots fired were verbal and they were directed at the mayor."You are just as a much a tyrant for requiring someone to surrender their civil rights to carry a firearm in order to participate in their government as you are in asking them to surrender their right to vote or anything else,” Bob Wright said.more here:[/break1]krqe.com/dpp/news/politics/verbal-shots-fired-in-ruidoso-gunfight]http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/politics/v ... o-gunfightIt's not the whole town, it's the buildings and meetings. The whole thing started when a guy wouldn't give up his gun when he took the podium at a meeting. So, the mayor banned guns from govt buildings and meetings.Except for law enforcement.I worked for the Government for awhile. I would not have an armed person in my office, I'll tell you that right now.

Adrianinflorida

Gun Rights / Second Amendment / 2nd Amendment

Post by Adrianinflorida » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:17 am

I still can't understand why the second amendment can't end at the door to someones private property or be abridged in certain venues (court houses, city meetings, bars or anywhere else that contentious arguments are sure to turn deadly with guns present). These yahoos really think that their right to play dirty harry trumps my right to be safe from them.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:04 pm

Authorities: Fla. church gunman taken into custody 2 hours 7 minutes agoLAKELAND, Fla. — Authorities say a man shot and killed a person at a central Florida home, and then shot a pastor and associate pastor at a nearby church.The Polk County Sheriff's office says the man was tackled by parishioners and held until deputies arrived.Investigators say the accused gunman, Jeremiah Fogel, ran through the front door of the church and shot the pastor and associate pastor.The shooting happened early Sunday in Lakeland, about 30 miles east of Tampa, at a church that also functions as a school. The church was between Sunday morning services when the shooting happened.[/break1]msnbc.msn.com/id/44568556/ns/us_news/#.TnYjzewcKuk]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44568556/ns ... nYjzewcKuk

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

mimi

Post by mimi » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:02 pm

News says he was a former deacon or leader. Published: September 18, 2011LAKELAND - The pastor of a Lakeland church was shot in the head and his associate pastor shot and critically injured at church this morning by a man investigators say had just killed someone at a nearby house.The Rev. William Boss, the pastor of Greater Faith Christian Center at 2035 W. Parker St., sustained nonlife-threatening injuries, while the Rev. Carl Stewart is in surgery and in critical condition, according to the Polk County Sheriff's Office. Both men were taken to Lakeland Regional Medical Center.Investigators have identified the shooter as Jeremiah Fogle, a former church deacon or leader, Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said at a press conference this morning.[/break1]tbo.com/content/2011/sep/18/181258/gunman-kills-one-person-wounds-two-more-in-lakelan/news-breaking/]http://m2.tbo.com/content/2011/sep/18/1 ... -breaking/I read the person who was killed (at home) was a man. Then I read a woman.

mimi

Post by mimi » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:58 pm

She was the wife. I kinda figured.According to Theresa Fogel’s sister Laura Girdan stated “We never expected this. She [the victim] never has been one to have people up in her business.” The Fogels had been married for a relatively short time, but the Reverend Maria Beauford, a younger sister of Theresa Fogel, the two had married in 2002, and the union was harmonious.Jeremiah Fogel recently had back surgery, and Theresa Fogel remained at home to take care of him. He had only just started to walk again in the last few weeks. No one appears to have known that he had a gun.A while ago, the two broke away from the Greater Faith Christian Center and begun to worship at home. They established a home-based ministry that often used the couple’s living room as a chapel. Beauford also stated “There is nothing in my mind that can make me understand. Nothing makes sense.”What is known is that Pastor Boss had been working in the community for around 18 years. Deputies are interviewing witnesses. It is unclear what the motive was in the attack, though inter-church problems may have played a part in this.[/break1]com/2011/09/man-kills-wife-wounds-two-pastors-in-attack-on-florida-church/]http://lezgetreal.com/2011/09/man-kills ... da-church/

Litlebritdifrnt2

Post by Litlebritdifrnt2 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:20 pm

I think you have a second amendment right to own the type of weapon that was in existance at the time that the second amendment was written. There is no way on FSM's earth that the framers could have envisioned AK47s and therefore no way that they would have thought that it would be acceptable for the average Joe to own one. If you want to cling to the second amendment then you have to cling to the weapons that it discussed. You can have a muzzle loaded rifle. Period. JMHO.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:47 am

Personally, I note the US constitution talks about a "well regulated militia," it does not talk about a bunch of idiots pretending to be an army in a wood somewhere or a bunch of random lardheads barging into a government office to intimidate goverment workers.Like I said on RC radio, if you as a society are going to make the decision have everyone armed, you have to take the responsibility to (a) ensure the people are educated to have a deep respect for guns and (b) stop filling the people head with fear and nervousness through your media. In fact the responsible thing with an armed populous is to block people who's only shtick is to make people angry and afraid, because angry and afraid people either run or attack.

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

Adrianinflorida

Post by Adrianinflorida » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:00 am

The problem is that the Gun Lobby has hijacked the definition of "Well Regulated Millitia" to mean "Anyone and everyone" there is no "Well Regulated" in the current population of gun owners.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:07 am

The problem is that the Gun Lobby has hijacked the definition of "Well Regulated Millitia" to mean "Anyone and everyone" there is no "Well Regulated" in the current population of gun owners.Indeed. I intend to post every story I come across for the next month where some idiot's Second Amendment rights were protected and innocent people lost their lives as a result.

I believe Anita Hill!

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:31 pm

What Could Go Wrong?

Posted on 09/19/2011 at 4:00 pm by JM Ashby

What better way to entice new customers to your business than to hand out assault rifles at the door like some kind of party-favor?

One Florida company has found a novel way of enticing new customers to open accounts that takes advantage of America’s lax gun laws: offering people free AK-47 assault rifles! The Broward Palm Beach New Times reports that MerchantService.com, a Sarasota-based company that provides the equipment and processing for businesses’ credit card transactions, announced its “Free AK-47 Giveaway” last Thursday. Based on the size of their order, customers can redeem a voucher for an AK-47 worth up to $750. Their website features a “God, Guns & Guts” banner as part of its “No Victims” campaign that promotes carrying assault rifles to protect against robberies and other crimes. “

Open an account. Receive a free AK-47!

What could go wrong?[/break1]com/blog-archives/2011/09/what-could-go-wrong-3.html]http://bobcesca.com/blog-archives/2011/ ... ong-3.html

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:22 am

That reminds me of the bank in the Michael Moore movie (can't remember which one it was, Roger and Me?) that was giving away rifles if you opened an account. I wonder if that bank ever got robbed.

I believe Anita Hill!

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:40 am

That reminds me of the bank in the Michael Moore movie (can't remember which one it was, Roger and Me?) that was giving away rifles if you opened an account. I wonder if that bank ever got robbed.Bowling for Columbine.

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:05 pm

I think you have a second amendment right to own the type of weapon that was in existance at the time that the second amendment was written. There is no way on FSM's earth that the framers could have envisioned AK47s and therefore no way that they would have thought that it would be acceptable for the average Joe to own one. If you want to cling to the second amendment then you have to cling to the weapons that it discussed. You can have a muzzle loaded rifle. Period. JMHO.That's conveniently originalist, but by the same token, the Eighth Amendment shouldn't prohibit executing the mentally retarded by firing squad, the First Amendment shouldn't protect speaking out against wars, the Fourth Amendment shouldn't protect against wiretaps, because it says "papers" and telephone calls aren't papers, the Sixth Amendment should not guarantee the right to counsel even in capital cases, and on and on. On top of that, Congress shouldn't be allowed to fund an Air Force, because the Constitution only authorizes armies and navies.I think the Amendment can be interpreted as protecting those weapons reasonably tailored toward self-defense. I do not see how in the world it defends the right to carry guns into public meetings, any more than the First Amendment protects walking into Congress and screaming obscenities through a bullhorn to disrupt the proceedings.These maniacs think that their one favored right, the right to act like a lunatic while carrying a gun, trumps everyone else's rights.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:06 pm

A Florida man, whose Second Amendment rights were preserved:3 cops shot in Fla.; suspect barricaded in home found deadOfficers survive after trying to serve domestic violence injunction msnbc.com staff and news service reportsupdated 2 hours 30 minutes agoLAKE CITY, Fla. — Authorities say a man opened fire on police outside his Florida home, wounding three officers before he barricaded himself inside and committed suicide.Police say officers responded to a domestic violence complaint at the Lake City home about noon Friday. As the officers set up a perimeter to serve a domestic violence injunction, authorities said, the man came out of the house and opened fire. Three officers were hit, and the man ran back inside the house, where he barricaded himself for hours, NBC station WJXT reported.There was a standoff for several hours. Columbia County Sheriff's Sgt. Ed Seifert says a tactical vehicle entered the home around 8:25 p.m. and found the gunman dead. His name wasn't immediately available.[/break1]msnbc.msn.com/id/44645322/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/#.Tn1JEewcKuk]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44645322/ns ... n1JEewcKuk

I believe Anita Hill!

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:57 pm

Today in Brian Nieves: "Guns Guns & more GUNS!??!"Submitted by .Sean on September 22, 2011 - 4:32pm-- Forwarded message -- From: Brian Nieves Date: Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 4:24 PM Subject: 2nd Annual, 2nd Amendment Freedom Rally & Gun Show!! To: Calling All Patriots ... Join Senator Brian Nieves for our 2nd Annual, 2nd Amendment Freedom Rally & Gun Show! Saturday, Oct. 1st from 10a-4p at the Franklin County Baptist Association Building. Located in Union, Mo. at 785 Butterfield Dr. The building is easy to find on Hwy 47 between Union & St. Clair. Top Door Prize of the day ... Your choice of a Glock 23 or 27 - The G23 & G27 are Brian's personal favorites for conceal carry and you may end up taking one home! Come Celebrate with the Senator who may very well be the Missouri Senate's most Hard Core Supporter of our God Given Right to Protect Ourselves and the 2nd Amendment that acknowledges that Personal Right! Many of you joined us last year for this Very Unique Event so you know how much fun it is. * Patriot Booths * Vendor & Display Booths * Guns Guns and more GUNS! * Local 2nd Amendment Celebrities * Live Outdoorsman Demonstrations * Good Food, Good Fun, Festivities & Friends * AR-15 and other "Black Gun" demonstrations * Come select that new or used gun you'd like to buy * Did we mention there will be Guns Guns & more GUNS!??! Yes, we will have the F.A.T.S. Tent up and running again. What is F.A.T.S. you ask? It is a heart pounding, adrenalin pumping, "Shoot - Don't Shoot" simulator used to train Police, SWAT and FBI on quick, real life shooting scenarios! You will LOVE it ... It's almost addicting and there was a steady line to try it last year![/break1]firedupmissouri.com/content/today-brian-nieves-guns-guns-more-guns]http://www.firedupmissouri.com/content/ ... -more-gunsWhat are "2nd Amendment Celebrities"? we've discussed Nieves before. A hothead. Remember the Complaint filed against him by Shawn Belle? Bell's complaint, obtained by the Post-Dispatch, alleges he stopped by Nieves’ campaign headquarters to congratulate an aide there on Nieves’ victory, when he was grabbed by Nieves and thrown against a wall. Bell says he looked for help from the aide he was visiting, but the Nieves aide instead "closed the office blinds and locked the door."It was, according to the complaint, the beginning of a very nasty encounter.Nieves pulled a black gun from his pocket and placed it deliberately on a table, telling Bell that he was going to kill him, according to sworn statement. Nieves then allegedly head-butted Bell and slapped him several times.Bell wrote in the complaint that Nieves was apparently worried that Bell was "wearing a wire" so he had Bell strip off his shirt. Nieves then had Bell call Nieves' wife to apologize for an anonymous letter that had been making the rounds during the campaign -- a letter that claimed that Nieves was cheating on his wife, according to the complaint.The pair then talked awhile before Bell was allowed to go, the complaint said.[/break1]stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/political-fix/article_c24b0588-a3f8-11df-9c61-00127992bc8b.html]http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt ... 2bc8b.htmlThe Complaint is much more colorful. pdf:[/break1]newyork1.vip.townnews.com/stltoday.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/7/a4/163/7a41633a-a570-11df-9fb8-00127992bc8b-revisions/4c62e23029d44.pdf.pdf]http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews ... 44.pdf.pdfNot that I think Shawn Bell isn't kinda wacky. but still, if even a portion of that is true. I still don't know where that case is today. Last thing I see is this:Bell v. NievesSubmitted by .Sean on June 17, 2011 - 7:40amShawn Bell's petition against Brian Nieves, as filed in Franklin County.[/break1]firedupmissouri.com/content/bell-v-nieves]http://www.firedupmissouri.com/content/ ... evesNieves is the last guy who should be the posterguy for Gun Rights.

mimi

Post by mimi » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:54 pm

I came across this blog (again) while looking for link to a post covering little emily lavender. Ohh Shoot highlights unintentional shootings. Some might refer to these as accidental shootings, but accident is too often interpreted as unavoidable. The shootings on this blog did not have to happen. Safe storage, better gun design, gun safety training are just some of the measures that could have prevented these tragedies.Sounds like regulations to me. [/break1]blogspot.com/]http://ohhshoot.blogspot.com/Very sad stories in there. And they are posted almost daily.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:41 pm

Kimba - there are a huge number of morons out there.

listeme

Post by listeme » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:50 pm

One episode for urban teens should be "Never point a gun at a cop, Ever." And "If the cops are after you and you have a gun, run fast, get caught, but don't take the gun out of your waist band." I'd like to see Samuel L Jackson narrate that PSA!Yes.Verb and I have been worried for the past few weeks about a beloved teenager that we know. He somehow managed to get hold of a sawed-off shotgun and shot it in the neighborhood (no one was harmed). His parents got it from him, and thank god for that, because he's at a bonehead age and the police used dogs and helicopters to find him, as it was, and I can't imagine he would have had the presence of mind to NOT take it out when confronted. So he's in legal trouble and, you know, grounded :) but he's alive and unhurt.I would donate to that PSA fund. I would donate to funds to make teenagers less boneheaded, too.

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Adrianinflorida

Post by Adrianinflorida » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:59 am

Eddie The Eagle sez..... (Don't mix up with G Gordon Liddy's message, though)

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:03 am

My gun got dirty this past weekend. Anyone want to come over and clean it for me tonight? Payment includes a fine dining experience at a place where they serve non-redneck food.

Mnoho lidí se za našeho prezidenta stydí.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

realist

Post by realist » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:15 pm

[link]DC Circuit Rejects Challenge to DC Gun Laws,[/link]

ImageX 4 ImageX36

Piffle

Post by Piffle » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:59 pm

[link]DC Circuit Rejects Challenge to DC Gun Laws,[/link]Wowzer, realist. Maybe I've been living under a rock but I hadn't seen that decision yet.

I obviously have some bedtime reading to do.

Backing up a step or two:

Personally, I note the US constitution talks about a "well regulated militia," it does not talk about a bunch of idiots pretending to be an army in a wood somewhere or a bunch of random lardheads barging into a government office to intimidate goverment workers.

Like I said on RC radio, if you as a society are going to make the decision have everyone armed, you have to take the responsibility to (a) ensure the people are educated to have a deep respect for guns and (b) stop filling the people head with fear and nervousness through your media. In fact the responsible thing with an armed populous is to block people who's only shtick is to make people angry and afraid, because angry and afraid people either run or attack.For many decades, the effect and meaning of the reference to "a well regulated militia" was open to debate. Many (and I count myself here) believed that the militia reference was not just extra verbiage, but must have been put there to mean something. And, to my way of thinking, the intended meaning had the effect of limiting an absolute, purely individual, right to bear arms.

But then along came the case of Heller v. District of Columbia (later DC v. Heller as the roles of the parties switched through the appeals process) in which first a 2-1 panel of the Court of Appeals and then the Supreme Court declared the right to bear arms an individual right and all but redlined out the "militia" references altogether. SCOTUS did, however, leave some room for regulation, although their decision left everyone scratching their heads as to what the limits of acceptable regulation might be.

The opinion Realist has so kindly posted above is interesting in that it is a first (or at least "early") case in which a Court of Appeals is dealing with the post-Heller limits.

OK, now I gotta go read it. :D

Return to “General Politics”