Bizarro World: 2017 and Beyond

DejaMoo

Re: Bizarro World: 2017 and Beyond

Post by DejaMoo » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:10 pm

Trudy‏Verified account @thetrudz

You can’t have fact-based conversations with liars committed to gaslighting and defending the status quo.

Also, their goal isn’t to understand, it’s to seek attention at best, confirm uninformed worldview in the middle, and actively target and harm at worst.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:37 pm

:thumbs:

I tried having a conversation with a Trump voter on Saturday. It went about as well as expected. First, he insists that less than 50% of public school high schoolers graduate, so it's OK that Betsy DeVos wants to destroy public school - because THEY don't appreciate it anyway. (His kids are all in their 30s and 40s, so not affected anymore). According to the Dept of Education, 2015 is the last year for which there is data and the number is 83%, not less than 50%.

It did not go uphill from there. I can only take a person's word for it if they claim they can talk to Trump voters and have any kind of real dialogue. Apparently, those people have different Trump voters than what I encounter. As long as they quit dragging their friggin TVs outside during Hannity's raving maniac show, I'm OK. I have no more need to dialogue with people who aren't even living in reality. I'm OK with knocking on doors to GOTV, donate to help them get the overpriced ID they need, drive them 80 miles to get that ID, because every DVM except for the one where poor and minorities don't live has been closed, and offer rides on voting day.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:40 pm

Also, he has proof that completely destroying our government and the "see what's left" is a good way to fix things because many years ago he was hired by a company that had 6 employees who were all lazy, corrupt, etc and he fired every one of them and started from scratch. That worked out for the company with 6 employees so, of course it will work out for the entire US government.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:44 pm

I really had to bite my tongue. As a manager I one time had to recommend letting go one of my employees. But several times I was able to rehabilitate and help employees actually turn themselves around and end up not just being able to keep their jobs, but become very productive and team oriented. Of course, that is much harder and requires actual work.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:57 pm

RVInit wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:40 pm
Also, he has proof that completely destroying our government and the "see what's left" is a good way to fix things because many years ago he was hired by a company that had 6 employees who were all lazy, corrupt, etc and he fired every one of them and started from scratch. That worked out for the company with 6 employees so, of course it will work out for the entire US government.
This reminds me of my friend--an environmentalist RWNJ, no less, who was for Ben Carson for pres because she thought that having a team under him in the operating room counted as relevant managerial experience for president. She was drawn to him because of his religious stance and his objection to anything resembling public assistance. But she's great on zoning laws and sustainable water in Florida.

Also lacking in proportion and in the so-dumb-you-want-to-scream department, my self-soothing of choice is to ponder what is missing from the brainpans of those who buy into Bizarro World. Ignorance, yes; being raised to be resentful of education and intelligence, yes; but I'm still holding out for a congenital inability to distinguish fact from fiction (which leads into a fear of thought at all, as advocated by the authoritarians, and my favorite, the noted lack of a sense of humor, etc.). Now that would be a gene to find: the purblind gene.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Return to “General Politics”