MO Gov. Greitens indicted for felony invasion

Dan1100

Re: MO Gov. Greitens indicted for felony invasion

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:36 pm

It's on twitter, it must be true.
link
Bryan Lowry @BryanLowry3
2m2 minutes ago

BREAKING: Eric Greitens has been charged with felony computer tampering in St. Louis. Go to http://KansasCity.com for story shortly. #moleg #GreitensIndictment
:kickface: :kickface: :bunny: :bunny: :happyfamily: :splat:

edit: here it is
5ada6e606eab1.pdf.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:46 pm

I personally believe these charges are bullshit.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:48 pm

This may be the "kick him while he's down" strategy.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:58 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:46 pm
Essentially, he stole a list of names from the Charity and used them for his political campaign. I think it is stealing, but I'm not sure why they didn't just charge it as stealing.

But, I don't care. Why? Fuck him, that's why.

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:01 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:46 pm
I think the Prosecuting Attorney did the prudent thing. This mess was dumped in her lap at the 11th hour with time running out by the AG. She can always drop the charge at a later date if you are correct. I would file this under keeping her options open.

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:06 pm

Probable cause statement. This was filed as a Criminal Complaint, so for it to move forward there either has to be a Preliminary Hearing or a Grand Jury indictment.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... 20-18.html

Somewhere earlier in this thread I said that only an indictment or preliminary hearing could stop the Statute of Limitations. That's what we were taught, but its apparently not true anymore. See State v. Mixon https://www.leagle.com/decision/inmoco20121113245

Hawley statement:
hawleysticksitin.jpeg
Greitens Statement:
GreitenWhining.jpeg
Docket sheet:
4/20/2018
Criminal Summons Issued Document ID: 18-CRSU-103, for GREITENS, ERIC ROBERT;

Return Scheduled Scheduled For: 05/22/2018; 9:00 AM ; MADELINE O CONNOLLY; Carnahan Courthouse

Probable Cause Statement Filed Filed By: KIMBERLY M GARDNER

Criminal Summons Issued Filed By: KIMBERLY M GARDNER

Complaint Filed Filed By: KIMBERLY M GARDNER

Judge Assigned
The judge issued a criminal summons, instead of a warrant, returnable May 22nd. That means that his first announcement court date will be May 22nd.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

-Steve Martin

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:30 pm

From what I read Greitens used the mailing list of a charity he had established. If that's true, I am not sure how he "stole" the addresses.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:42 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:30 pm
From what I read Greitens used the mailing list of a charity he had established. If that's true, I am not sure how he "stole" the addresses.
It is against Missouri law, as I understand it, to use a charity donor list for political purposes. Although Greitens founded the charity, it is a separate entity covered by the statutes regarding a charity's donor list. He was not on the Board, and I think he was no longer executive director when he accessed these lists and used them in his governor campaign.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:44 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Well, he started the charity, he didn't own it.

Other than that, I only know what was in the probable cause statement.
The President of The Mission Continues explained neither the defendant nor
K.T. had permission from The Mission Continues to disclose the donor list to the Fundraiser or to use the donor
list for political purposes. The Mission Continues employee handbook and the non-disclosure agreements
prohibited the disclosure of the donor list and the retention of it by anyone not employed by and working on
behalf of The Mission Continues. The Mission Continues conflict of interest agreement signed by board members
prohibited the personal use of The Mission Continues assets, including the donor list.

-Steve Martin

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:50 pm

The mailing list charge is almost purely political, right? Missouri Republicans are frantic to get Greitens out of the limelight and off the stage. A continuing Greitens scandal is to McGaskill's advantage and very much to the disadvantage of the Republican Senate candidate, probably Hawley. Perhaps their thinking is that piling on charges will force Greitens to get the hell out of the Governor's Mansion and Missouri politics.

Thankfully, surely Republicans will now drop Greitens as their up-and-coming WonderBoy on the national stage whatever the outcome of either case.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:12 pm

NMgirl wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:50 pm
The mailing list charge is almost purely political, right? Missouri Republicans are frantic to get Greitens out of the limelight and off the stage. A continuing Greitens scandal is to McGaskill's advantage and very much to the disadvantage of the Republican Senate candidate, probably Hawley. Perhaps their thinking is that piling on charges will force Greitens to get the hell out of the Governor's Mansion and Missouri politics.

Thankfully, surely Republicans will now drop Greitens as their up-and-coming WonderBoy on the national stage whatever the outcome of either case.
Certainly it is purely political in the sense he never would have gotten caught if it hadn't been for politics. This has turned into a battle to the death between Hawley and Greitens, and that's the only reason this got referred to the St. Louis Circuit Attorney's office in the first place.

I don't have much insight into why Republicans do what they do, I would have expected them to circle the wagons and stand by Greitens, but they sure haven't.

I'm not sure to what extent antisemitism is driving it, if at all. . .

-Steve Martin

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:36 pm

The hearing on the "Motion Verified Petition for Temporary Restraining Order" asking for an order that Hawley stop being mean to Eric and appointing a special prosecutor, is set for April 26th at 10 am.

Predictably, the Attorney General's Office has filed pleadings with the correct titles in response. I can't find copies online, but I am sure there will be some shortly.

Docket sheet excerpt.
04/23/2018 Hearing Scheduled Scheduled For: 04/26/2018; 10:00 AM ; JON EDWARD BEETEM; Cole Circuit

04/19/2018 Motion to Dismiss
Memorandum In Opposition to Request for Temporary Restraining Order, Motion to Dismiss, and Memorandum In Support of Motion to Dismiss;
Electronic Filing Certificate of Service.
Filed By: DEAN JOHN SAUER
On Behalf Of: MISSOURI ATTORNEY GENERAL

-Steve Martin

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:28 pm

Not sure where this weirdness fits in.

http://www.kctv5.com/story/38021900/att ... tory-broke
ST. LOUIS (KMOV.com) -- The attorney for the ex-husband of the woman who had an affair with Missouri Governor Eric Greitens now claims he, the attorney, received two $50,000 cash payments.

According to Al Watkins, the attorney representing the ex-husband, the payments took place on the day News 4 interviewed the ex-husband for our story and the following day.

Supporters of the governor have been questioning the motivations of the ex-husband to tell the story of the affair, and to share the secret recording he made of her back in 2015 detailing the affair.

Watkins claims he does not know who the money came from and says the payments were dropped off at his office by courier service. He said he had reported the mysterious payment to the FBI, a claim KMOV has not yet confirmed.

-Steve Martin

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:56 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:42 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
It is against Missouri law, as I understand it, to use a charity donor list for political purposes. Although Greitens founded the charity, it is a separate entity covered by the statutes regarding a charity's donor list. He was not on the Board, and I think he was no longer executive director when he accessed these lists and used them in his governor campaign.
And if he was still on the board or an executive director, the charity's tax-exempt status would be in major trouble because taking the donor list to use in his campaign could be considered self-dealing. He, as a disqualified person, would be personally receiving an asset of the charity (beyond a fixed wage for services). The IRS does not like that.

North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:48 pm

The House Special Pre-impeachment Committee is lawyering up.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics ... 30329.html
Greitens investigation in House intensifies with hiring of former chief justice

JEFFERSON CITY

In a sign that its inquiry into allegations of misconduct against Gov. Eric Greitens has escalated, the Missouri House hired a former state Supreme Court chief justice to assist in its investigation of the governor.

Edward "Chip" Robertson will serve as special counsel for the Special Investigative Committee on Oversight, which was created by House leaders in late February after a St. Louis grand jury indicted Greitens on one felony count of invasion of privacy. The charge stems from allegations that during an extramarital affair in 2015, he took a nude photo of a woman — while her hands were bound and she was blindfolded — and threatened to release it if she ever publicly discussed their relationship.

The committee’s investigation is the first step toward possible impeachment.

Robertson was appointed to the state Supreme Court in 1985 by then-Gov. John Ashcroft, a Republican, and was chief justice from 1991 to 1993. He served on the court in 1994, when Secretary of State Judith Moriarty, a Democrat, was impeached by the Missouri House and removed from office by the state Supreme Court.

He retired from the court in 1998.

Joining Robertson as special counsel for the House committee is attorney Mark Kempton of Sedalia, a former Pettis County prosecutor. The two attorneys are not being paid anything other than any out-of-pocket expenses they incur.

-Steve Martin

much ado

Post by much ado » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:58 pm

Source: AG gave Cole County prosecutor evidence alleging new crime by Greitens
JEFFERSON CITY

The Missouri attorney general’s office has turned over evidence to the Cole County prosecutor accusing Gov. Eric Greitens of knowingly filing false campaign finance disclosure reports to the Missouri Ethics Commission, according to a source with knowledge of the investigation.

Filing a false campaign disclosure report would be a Class A misdemeanor that carries a maximum penalty of one year in jail.

:snippity:

A man needs a reason to go shopping; a woman just needs a place. - much ado
(prompted by daughter ado's enthusiasm to visit a mall with no specific goal)

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:32 pm

Verified Motion Petition for Temporary Restraining Order to disqualify the Attorney General for being a meany and to appoint a Special Prosecutor is Dismissed with Prejudice.
:splat:
Order+and+Judgment_FINAL.pdf

-Steve Martin

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:41 pm

K.S., who I believe to be the victim who Greitens allegedly tied up and took her photo has filed for a Writ of Prohibition against the judge in the case, no doubt over some discovery issue relating to her. Nothing in the news yet.

-Steve Martin

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:26 pm

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ ... o-evidence
Woman With Whom Greitens Had Affair Must Turn Over Her Phone To Court

The Missouri Supreme Court says a woman who had an extramarital affair with Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens must turn over her cellphone for a forensic investigation.

The Kansas City Star reported Saturday that the high court’s decision follows the woman’s request Friday to block an order requiring her phone to be examined by a court-appointed expert.

The woman’s attorney had argued that the order is burdensome and invades her privacy.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:08 pm

The "burdensome" argument is laughable. All she has to do is turn over the cell phone so that it can be imaged. The privacy argument is viable.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:31 pm

What do they expect to find? Undeleted texts or the list of recent calls? No doubt she has already cleared those.

Mnoho lidí se za našeho prezidenta stydí.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:56 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:26 pm
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ ... o-evidence
Woman With Whom Greitens Had Affair Must Turn Over Her Phone To Court

The Missouri Supreme Court says a woman who had an extramarital affair with Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens must turn over her cellphone for a forensic investigation.

The Kansas City Star reported Saturday that the high court’s decision follows the woman’s request Friday to block an order requiring her phone to be examined by a court-appointed expert.

The woman’s attorney had argued that the order is burdensome and invades her privacy.
Mandate apparently isn't public. Here is the docket entry.

04/28/2018
Disposed- Pet for Writ Denied
PETITION FOR WRIT OF PROHIBITION DENIED. ORDER AND MANDATE ATTACHED TO THIS DOCKET ENTRY AND AVAILABLE TO COUNSEL OF RECORD VIA SECURE CASE.NET. MANDATE E-MAILED TO RESPONDENT.

-Steve Martin

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:21 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:31 pm
What do they expect to find? Undeleted texts or the list of recent calls? No doubt she has already cleared those.
Pictures perhaps. Calls they can get through subpoena of her phone records. Her calendar might provide info of contacts or meetings with others, psychological appointments, contacts with other men, or perhaps something to contradict the timeline she gave in her testimony to the Ethics Commission.

It is scary for someone like Greitens to have access to this info. To me, there is a privacy violation issue. I wonder if there is a court order restricting release of the info only to the parties. Greitens still gets it though. His retaliation if he is not convicted is what I fear.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Tue May 01, 2018 11:13 pm

The House Pre-impeachment Committee (5 Republicans & 2 Democrats) has issued a supplementary report saying it still believes Greitens victim [because Greitens is a lying sack of shit].

The report refutes the statements Greitens has been making in the press and compares the Victims statements to show they don't say what Greitens says they say [and Greitens is a lying sack of shit].

The also say he is hiding the ball by not consenting to give the victim's deposition to the committee.
2ndPreReportReport.pdf
Post Dispatch's take on it.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crim ... 1f4c8.html
Missouri committee says, again, woman's testimony is credible in Greitens scandal

JEFFERSON CITY • A special House panel shot back at Gov. Eric Greitens on Monday, saying it still believes a woman he had an affair with is a credible witness.

Nearly three weeks after the governor and his legal team said the committee’s work was based on the testimony of someone who may have remembered her 2015 affair with Greitens “through a dream,” the panel said the embattled governor and his attorneys cherry-picked the testimony to undermine her claims and bolster their defense.

“The committee does not find anything in the Circuit Attorney interview that causes it to change its statement regarding Witness 1’s credibility,” the panel wrote. “Greitens’ claims about the content of the Circuit Attorney interview mischaracterize the actual testimony received and reviewed by this committee.”
Hawley and the Committee are in a battle to the death with Greitens it seems.

I rate this 4 bunnies and a knee to the face :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :kickface:

-Steve Martin

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Wed May 02, 2018 12:55 am

Looks like Pence might get some Greitens on him. Mother will not be happy.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/01/politics ... index.html
Trump administration officials inquiring whether Greitens scandal could impact top aide to VP

(CNN)As embattled Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens' legal and political woes deepen, some White House officials are inquiring whether the controversy could also envelop the governor's former top campaign adviser, Nick Ayers, who is now Vice President Mike Pence's chief of staff.

Multiple officials in President Donald Trump's administration have privately put out feelers with Missouri Republican leaders in recent days to gauge whether Ayers would be interviewed as part of the state House committee investigation into Greitens, according to two sources familiar with the conversations.

Ayers signed on with Greitens in 2015, but it is unclear exactly when the two men severed ties. Greitens' campaign fund has continued to pay the firm Ayers founded, C5 Consulting, into 2018, according to a Missouri Ethics Commission filing. Ayers stepped away from the firm to work in the administration.

"Several people from Washington have reached out and asked if Nick Ayers is going to be subpoenaed," said one Missouri House source with knowledge the discussions. "To this point he has not been." But the President's allies were also informed that a possible subpoena "is very much in play" because the committee's investigation is ongoing, added a separate source who also confirmed the conversations.
:bunny:

-Steve Martin

Return to “General Politics”