Sheriff Joe Arpaio - General Topic

Dolly

Re: Sheriff Joe Arpaio - General Topic

Post by Dolly » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:55 pm

‘I’ve got support’: Pardoned sheriff Joe Arpaio considers running against GOP Sen. Jeff Flake

Disgraced ex-Sheriff Joe Arpaio was officially pardoned by President Donald Trump last week — and now he might help the president exact revenge against one of his rivals within the GOP.

In an interview with the Washington Examiner, the 85-year-old Arpaio said he’s weighing several options for what to do next now that he’s been pardoned by the president.

“I could run for mayor, I could run for legislator, I could run for Senate,” Arpaio explained.

Arpaio said that a lot of people asked him to challenge Flake in a primary race next year, although he hasn’t made any firm commitment either way yet.

“All I’m saying is the door is open and we’ll see what happens,” he said. “I’ve got support. I know what support I have.”

According to the Examiner, Arpaio would be motivated to run for senate to help give President Donald Trump a loyal supporter on Capitol Hill. Flake has been very outspoken in his criticism of Trump and has not been shy about calling on members of his party to stand up to the president.
http://www.rawstory.com/2017/08/ive-got ... eff-flake/

not sure where to post this. A search shows 22 threads for "Arpaio"
http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/search.p ... mit=Search

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:10 pm

My take? Arpaio's just trying to stay in the public light, grift money. At 85 he's not going to run for anything.

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:29 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:My take? Arpaio's just trying to stay in the public light, grift money. At 85 he's not going to run for anything.
:yeah:

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:34 pm

I think he has threatened to run for a lot of other offices over the years. He couldn't win his last election for sheriff. And he's now a convicted felon! And an old one at that.

June bug

Post by June bug » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:39 pm

SLQ wrote:
MN-Skeptic wrote:My take? Arpaio's just trying to stay in the public light, grift money. At 85 he's not going to run for anything.
:yeah:
I'd like to believe that but Arpaio's both a hater and he loves power. And whatever office he chooses, he's running in Trump Territory.

Plus, too, he has a huge amount of money. Why not use it to make one last hurrah?

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:08 am

SEPTEMBER 06, 2017
Some of Fresno’s elected Republicans are staying away from Sheriff Joe Arpaio event

Lee Brand will be out of town when Joe Arpaio comes to town.

But Fresno’s Republican mayor made his feelings about the controversial former Arizona sheriff clear: Missing the Sept. 29 visit has nothing to do with poor timing.

“I wouldn’t go if I was here,” he said Wednesday, citing Arpaio’s divisive presence. “While he’s popular with some, Arpaio is a villain to others.”

Even firebrand Fresno City Councilman Garry Bredefeld is staying away, citing “some of the things he did as a sheriff that I disagree with. … That’s the only reason I’ve decided not to participate.”
MAYBE PEOPLE WANT TO HONOR HIM ESPECIALLY NOW.

Fresno County Republican party chairman Fred Vanderhoof doesn’t care about the uproar.
With three weeks to go until the county GOP’s third annual “2nd Amendement Barbecue,” Vanderhoof says ““we’ve sold more tickets to this point in time than each of the previous two years’ dinners.”
Scheduling is also why Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims said she’s not attending. Mims was originally slated to introduce Arpaio, and her photo was on an early version of a promotional ad for the event and posted to the party’s Facebook page on Aug. 22. “I was going to go to the 2nd Amendment Dinner as I always do,” Mims said. “The date changed and I was unable to go, before the pardon.”
After the date was changed, Mims asked Kings County Sheriff David Robinson a couple of weeks ago if he would serve in her stead to introduce Arpaio. Robinson, registered as a political independent, agreed. But on Wednedsay, he decided to withdraw because of the furor over Arpaio.
While the GOP is forging ahead with its dinner plans, activists at the other end of the political spectrum are planning a protest against Arpaio outside the banquet hall. Fresno Resistance, a self-proclaimed “intersectional, silo-breaking, leftist collective” to “challenge systems of oppression,” is organizing a “Smash White Supremacy” protest outside the banquet hall during the Arpaio event. According to the event’s Facebook page, more than 200 people have indicated they will attend, and almost 600 more have expressed interest in the protest.

An announcement promoting former Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio's appearance at a Fresno County Republican Party fund-raising dinner includes a photo of Kings County Sheriff David Robinson, who on Wednesday decided to withdraw from the event. Fresno County Republican Party
http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/art ... 34917.html

h/t to Andrew Janz who is running for Devin Nunes seat - California's 22nd congressional district
Andrew Janz for Congress
18 hrs ·
I am proud that our local voters have made it clear that they do not want Joe Arpaio in our area. Joe Arpaio does not share our values.
<he posted the link above>
https://www.facebook.com/andrewjanzforc ... 4222847873

bob

Post by bob » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:23 pm

Merc. News: Sheriff Joe Arpaio: ‘I don’t understand why I’m so controversial’:
GOP establishment shies away from Fresno fundraiser with recently pardoned Arizona lawman

In an interview on Tuesday afternoon, Arpaio, who lost re-election in November after 24 years in office, said the Fresno event was an example of his renewed “mission” to fight for conservative ideas around the country. That includes, he said, his continuing (and widely debunked) effort to prove that former President Barack Obama’s birth certificate is fake.

One thing he appears to disagree with the president about is Obama’s heritage. Arpaio said he plans on continuing a long-running investigation into Obama’s birth certificate, which he sent a deputy to Hawaii to conduct as sheriff. He wants Congress to pass a law requiring background checks for presidential candidates.

“It has to go down as the biggest cover-up in the history of the United States,” he said of Obama’s birth certificate. “Nobody wants to touch it.”

Obama released his long-form birth certificate in 2011 showing he was born in Hawaii, and even Trump — who had eagerly embraced the conspiracy theory — acknowledged last year that the former president was born in the U.S. But Arpaio was quick to point out Trump’s brief remarks about the issue in September 2016 never directly addressed the authenticity of the birth certificate itself.

Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

tek

Post by tek » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:36 am

Sheriff Joe Arpaio: ‘I don’t understand why I’m so controversial
FIFH

Fast talkin' guys with strange red eyes
Have put things in your head
And started your mind to wonderin'

bob

Post by bob » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:22 am

Fresno Bee: Arpaio says he’s no racist, talks about NFL protests, border wall, Obama birthplace:
Joe Arpaio talked about being accused of racism, his misdemeanor conviction in federal court, former President Barack Obama’s birth certificate, the proposed border wall with Mexico, NFL protests and other topics in an at-times rambling news conference prior to his speech to the Fresno County GOP on Friday.

Arpaio, the 85-year-old former Arizona sheriff, said he has evidence of the “fake birth certificate” of former President Barack Obama, “which nobody is doing anything about. Why does the media always say it’s been debunked?”

When asked if he was serious, Arpaio said, “Of course I’m serious.” When a reporter said the document Arpaio referenced had been deemed by experts as fake, he said that his was the only law enforcement agency in the nation “to touch this.”

At the news conference earlier, Arpaio was asked about being accused of racism. “I’m not a racist, I was never found guilty of racial profiling, regardless of what you see in the newspaper every day,” he said.

Arpaio was convicted by a federal judge of criminal contempt for violating a court order over his department’s questioning of Hispanic drivers and pedestrians during traffic stops. In addition to his July conviction, another federal judge ruled that his county jails failed to meet constitutional standards for inmates’ medical care, food or living quarters. Last month, President Donald Trump pardoned him.

He said his federal conviction on a contempt of court charge was because the judge hates him. “I’m not guilty. You’ll hear the real story soon,” he said.

“I ended up with a misdemeanor, like a barking dog (complaint),” Arpaio said, adding that he’s had only two parking tickets in his life.

“Everyone is bragging about the ‘criminal sheriff’,” he said.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:43 pm

Sheriff Joe Arpaio - General Topic or EX-Sheriff

Arpaio to speak at Trump golf club

Joe Arpaio, the controversial former Arizona sheriff, is set to stump for a GOP congressional candidate at President Trump's Los Angeles golf club on Thursday.

Arpaio announced on Twitter this week that he would take the stage at Trump National Golf Club in Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif., in support of Omar Navarro, a Republican hoping to unseat Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.), one of Trump's most vocal critics in Congress.

Navarro challenged Waters before, in 2016, but lost to the long-serving incumbent by more than 100,000 votes.

According to the Daily Breeze newspaper in Torrance, Calif., the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department will deploy additional law enforcement personnel around the golf club for the speech.

Arpaio, who served as Maricopa County sheriff in Arizona for more than two decades before he lost his re-election bid last year, was convicted earlier this year of criminal contempt for ignoring a judge's order to halt his office's racial profiling practices.

Trump issued his first presidential pardon to Arpaio in August.
that is all at the link
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... -golf-club

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:45 pm

Omar? Sounds like one of them moose-lambs to me.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:26 pm

Off Topic
Sorry, I don't have the time now to search/read/post more about Omar. This may be interesting.
a month ago
Who Is Omar Navarro? The "Mother Of All Rallies" Speaker Is Running For Congress In California
A Republican candidate running for Congress in California, Omar Navarro, is speaking at the "Mother of All Rallies," a conservative pro-Trump event this Saturday in Washington, D.C. Joined by other conservative activists and leaders, Navarro will likely try to boost his campaign by making himself known at the pro-Trump rally.

Navarro's campaign for the 43rd congressional district emphasizes “proactive leadership for the 21st century,” according to his website. Navarro grew up in Inglewood, California, and now lives in Torrance, California, where he has worked for businesses including Samsung and Sony. He identifies himself as “a Washington outsider,” saying, as Trump did in the 2016 presidential campaign, that his lack of political experience is a reason voters should trust him.

“Omar is running because he wants to give the people of the 43rd an independent voice in Congress–not one beholden to special interests and career politicians,” Navarro’s website reads. His key issues include encouraging military readiness, supporting soldiers and veterans, strengthening homeland security, fighting terrorism, and increasing employment.
Navarro will challenge California Rep. Maxine Waters, a Democrat, for a seat in the House. In an interview posted on Twitter, Navarro accused Waters of “meddling in past Haitian presidential elections,” citing an email exchange with WikiLeaks, and has been targeting her in blog posts on his website since announcing his campaign.

He has also taken up immigration and refugee issues in his campaign, where he discusses his Cuban background and emphasizes the importance and responsibility of citizenship. Navarro advocates for increased scrutiny toward refugees seeking to resettle. <SNIP>
https://www.bustle.com/p/who-is-omar-na ... ia-2359973

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:54 pm

"Worst nightmare" is a pretty good description of this guy. Did he think that up by himself?

(PS: I give his hairline another 3 years.)

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:32 pm

The last time I saw a head that shape, I rolled a bowling ball at it.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:53 pm

Omar is a disgusting creep hanging with Cernovich and the alt right seditionists. Now this:
Congressional candidate Omar Navarro on probation for illegal use of tracking device
By Nick Green | ngreen@scng.com | Daily Breeze
PUBLISHED: October 19, 2017 at 7:59 pm | UPDATED: October 19, 2017 at 8:01 pm

Omar Navarro, a fringe GOP activist in the South Bay making his second bid to unseat entrenched Rep. Maxine Waters, is on probation until March for a criminal conviction stemming from his use of an electronic tracking device he attached to his wife’s car, the Daily Breeze has learned.

Navarro, a 28-year-old Torrance resident who welcomed former Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio at a fundraiser Thursday night on the Palos Verdes Peninsula, pleaded guilty last fall to the misdemeanor charge in Orange County. He was sentenced in September 2016 to a day in jail and 18 months probation and ordered to take an anger management course, the Orange County District Attorney’s Office confirmed. His probation does not end until March 13, according to court records.

Navarro, who has never held elected office, is an ardent supporter of President Donald Trump who was trounced by Waters in 2016 in her heavily Democratic 43rd Congressional District that stretches from Westchester to Torrance and inland to South Los Angeles. Waters has become something of a liberal hero for her outspoken criticism of Trump.

Navarro, who resigned from his volunteer post on the Torrance Traffic Commission earlier this year when faced with censure or removal for his political activities in various Los Angeles County cities, is second vice president of the rogue Beach Cities Republican Club. The county’s GOP leadership revoked the charter of the Redondo Beach-based club earlier this year for attacking members of its executive committee and violating its bylaws. Navarro, reached for comment Wednesday morning, was evasive at first about his criminal conviction.

He initially said there are “a lot of Omar Navarros,” implying that perhaps someone with the same name was convicted of the charge. Then he said the incident that led to the criminal charge occurred “years ago,” rather than last year. Finally, he acknowledged the misdemeanor conviction, but at first blamed the Orange County District Attorney’s Office and the media for “fake news” before finally admitted it was his own doing.
http://www.dailybreeze.com/2017/10/19/c ... um=twitter

From Michael Moore: RESISTANCE CALENDAR! A one-stop site for all anti-Trump actions EVERY DAY nationwide: http://resistancecalendar.org

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:34 am

Odds on Orly attending?

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

bob

Post by bob » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:44 pm

WOBC BTR: Sheriff Joe Arpaio America’s toughest sheriff our special guest.
Tonight we welcome former Maricopa County, Arizona, Sheriff Joe Arpaio. He’s done plenty of heroic things during his 50+ years as a lawman. But he’s best known to our audience as the only elected official in the country who had the courage to investigate Barack Obama’s proffered birth documents—and declare them beyond a shadow of a doubt to be complete fabrications. This is a show you don’t want to miss!

Second segment, “INSTEAD OF ‘RUSSIA, RUSSIA, RUSSIA,’ IT SHOULD BE ‘TREASON, TREASON, TREASON'” CDR Walter Fitzpatrick (ret) to discuss Treason within our past and present government.
Tonight! I can't listen; will try to get to the archives at some point.

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:43 pm

I was driving to work one morning last week and listening to the BBC. I heard they were going to have Joe Arpaio on Hardtalk at the top of the hour and I was thankful that my plan was to be at work before the top of the hour.

How can we miss you, Joe, if you won't go away?

bob

Post by bob » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:48 am

The Atlantic: Arpaio Tells Bannon He Wants to Head the Marshal's Service:
The former Maricopa County Sheriff—convicted of criminal contempt, and then pardoned by the president—is still seeking the limelight.

Almost as soon as Senator Jeff Flake announced that he would not seek reelection, reporters began calling Joe Arpaio. As Flake took a stand against Trumpism, Frank Sinatra’s “My Way” blared from the former Maricopa County Sheriff’s flip phone, the song Trump danced to at his Inauguration. All day, reporters called to ask if he could win Flake’s seat. “Of course,” said Arpaio.

A few weeks before, he’d taken a phone call from Steve Bannon, and asked him to put in a word for him as a prospective head of the U.S. Marshal’s Service. “Can you imagine me being Marshal,” he asked Bannon, “and your main job is to lock up fugitives, including illegals?”

“Think of that,” he went on. “I would have a gun and badge” in case “the president wanted to put me on a special assignment.”

If the Senate election doesn’t work out, Arpaio has privately floated his name for prominent posts in the Trump administration. It was before the Fresno fundraiser that Bannon called Arpaio. “Listen,” Arpaio said, “I really don’t want to go to Washington, but for the president I’ll go to the moon.” The Drug Enforcement Administration had “finally fired the shit-head in charge,” said Arpaio. (Chuck Rosenberg stepped down as head of the DEA earlier this month after criticizing Trump for encouraging law-enforcement officers to not be “too nice” to suspects.) “He bad-mouthed the president,” Arpaio said to Bannon.

But Arpaio seemed to dream of a more classic job in law enforcement. Maybe it’s no surprise that a guy who appreciates vintage typewriters, yellowed news clippings, and old-west style jails would want to lead the oldest federal law-enforcement agency of them all: the United States Marshals Service. He urged Bannon to “keep it in mind” before hanging up. “I love you, and I love the president,” Arpaio said.
"For the record," the primary job of the U.S. Marshals Service is to protect federal judges and courtrooms. And each federal judicial district has its own marshal (each nominated by the president). There is a director* who oversees all of the marshals, but that's more of a bureaucratic/administrative/beancounting/"swamp"/"dark state" job.

* The directorship is currently vacant; a career marshal is leading as the deputy director.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:20 pm

bob wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:48 am
The former Maricopa County Sheriff—convicted of criminal contempt, and then pardoned by the president—is still seeking the limelight.
:snippity:

* The directorship is currently vacant; a career marshal is leading as the deputy director.
Looks to me as if Arpaio is getting near senility. Even US Marshalls require a certain physical fitness for their job. And immediately slipping into an advanced leadership position without ever having done a stint in the organization? I guess the mental fitness may have passed its due date too.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:23 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:20 pm
bob wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:48 am
:snippity:

Looks to me as if Arpaio is getting near senility. Even US Marshalls require a certain physical fitness for their job. And immediately slipping into an advanced leadership position without ever having done a stint in the organization? I guess the mental fitness may have passed its due date too.
Not only that, Trump only hires the best people.

bob

Post by bob » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:58 pm

PNT: Arpaio Spends Anniversary of Loss Getting His Teeth Cleaned:
Arpaio seems to still have a lot of grievances to air about the loss a year later — but he’s too busy planning for the future to discuss them right now.

"I’m not going to get into that," Arpaio told Phoenix New Times today. "I have other political plans. I’m not talking about what happened. I think if you read some of the statements about the Justice Department saying the day before the vote that they were going to charge me for a misdemeanor contempt of court, and a lot of other issues … I’ll be talking about very soon about the loss — including George Soros upping 5 million dollars against me. The main issue I’ll be talking about, but not much right now because I’m involved in other political situations.”

Then Arpaio had to get going. He’s spending the anniversary of his loss getting his teeth cleaned.

bob

Post by bob » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:43 pm

Ariz. Central: Roberts: Joe Arpaio says he may run for Senate but only if you send him cash ASAP:
There are two things in in life that are absolutely guaranteed.

No, not death and taxes.

One. The fact that every time a major political office opens up in Arizona, Joe Arpaio will float a trial a balloon that he might make a run for it. This, because he says his supporters are overwhelming him with requests that he jump into the race. (See: governor's races in 1998, 2002, 2006, 2010 and 2014.)

And Two. After he’s gotten maximum TV and internet exposure, he will announce that reluctantly, he’s decided not to run, after all. (See: governor's races in 1998, 2002, 2006, 2010 and 2014.)

This time, however, he’s not just snookering gullible journalists.

That’s right. Maricopa County’s favorite ousted sheriff and pardoned misdemeanor criminal is cranking up the old fundraising machine once again.

His latest plea: give me cash so I can decide whether to run for the open U.S. Senate seat created by Jeff Flake's decision not to run again.

bob

Post by bob » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:06 pm

PNT: The Enduring Sins of Joe Arpaio:
Stephen Lemons* wrote:Newspapermen Michael Lacey and Jim Larkin Speak Out in Response to Donald Trump’s Pardon of America’s Worst Sheriff

Last month in Arizona, in a move that surprised few, U.S. District Judge Susan R. Bolton formally validated President Donald Trump’s pardon of Joe Arpaio, the former sheriff of Maricopa County.

Bolton’s ruling closes the latest chapter in the long-running Arpaio saga, which 10 years ago this fall included the outrageous arrests of former Phoenix New Times co-owners Michael Lacey and Jim Larkin. Under Lacey and Larkin’s stewardship, New Times relentlessly covered, and often exposed, the scandals that punctuated the sheriff’s 24-year reign. A decade after being jailed by the rogue lawman, Lacey offered a concise appraisal of his longtime foe.

“Rex Tillerson was right: Donald Trump is a moron and his pardon of Joe Arpaio proves it,” Lacey said.
It is kind of a greatest hits, but it is still nice to see Lemons' writing.

* Lemons' byline describes him as "a former staff writer and columnist at Phoenix New Times."

Return to “General Politics”