Rest in Peace

Volkonski

Re: Rest in Peace

Post by Volkonski » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:54 pm

John Thomas8 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:13 pm
My sister and brother-in-law are both dealing with terminal cancer. I'm kinda having a hard time coping.

Sigh.
:(

:bighug:

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:25 pm

Zell Miller, (asshole Georgia) 1932 - 2018

Fuck him, ciaó.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:14 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:58 pm
Sad news, JT. Are they getting hospice care?

:bighug:
Too proud, but they also know better. The pain management is the worst part of it I think, we just can't do it and can't let go, either. I'm laying awake wondering how I'll deal with it when it's my time.

Thank you everyone.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:18 am

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug: JT

So hard...

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:59 pm

John Thomas8 wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:14 am
Too proud, but they also know better. The pain management is the worst part of it I think, we just can't do it and can't let go, either. I'm laying awake wondering how I'll deal with it when it's my time.
Figure it out, and then put in writing in the form of a DNR or whatever order you prefer. Don't make your family suffer as you are suffering. Tell them what you want. Then it is just up to them to faithfully carry out your instructions.

I can tell you from second-hand experience that the fact that my grandparents and aunt signed DNRs made my Dad's life so much easier when the time came to make the inevitable decisions. I don't know that it is any less sad to watch a parent die - I've not yet had to face that - but I can say that it was less stressful for Dad to just do as he was told, one last time.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:16 am

Venezuela
José Abreu, the father of El Sistema, dies aged 78
José Abreu, the award-winning founder of a program that pulled thousands of Venezuelan children from crime and poverty through music, died on Saturday, aged 78.

Abreu founded the globally acclaimed El Sistema, or The System, in 1975 in a garage with just nine musicians. From that, the network expanded to 300 choirs and orchestras that received awards from the Royal Swedish Academy and UNESCO.

"With devoted love and eternal gratitude to my mentor and father of El Sistema," wrote Gustavo Dudamel, a famed Venezuelan conductor now the director of the Los Angeles Philharmonic, on Twitter alongside a photo of himself with Abreu.

Abreu was born on May 7, 1939, in the small Andean city of Valera. He began his musical studies at nine and moved to Caracas to study composition.

"Abreu has given life to a musical system with which young people can be safe from the dangers of the street, of crime, of drugs," said Simon Rattle, director of the Berlin Philharmonic, according to the El Sistema website.

Abreu's model has been followed by other Latin American countries as well as some in Europe.

Dudamel has become the public face of El Sistema in recent years, often conducting free concerts in Caracas’ grimy downtown area.

He has spoken out strongly in support of anti-government protests that last year rocked Venezuela for four months, leaving more than 120 people dead, including an 18-year-old musician from the Venezuela National Youth Orchestra.

http://www.euronews.com/2018/03/25/jose ... es-aged-78

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:43 pm

Linda Brown, aged 76

What’s that, you don’t know who Linda Brown was?

Yes you do... Brown v. Board of Education
http://www.cjonline.com/news/20180326/l ... dies-at-76

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:15 pm

:crying:

foilwatcher

Post by foilwatcher » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:50 pm

gupwalla wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:59 pm
John Thomas8 wrote:
Figure it out, and then put in writing in the form of a DNR or whatever order you prefer. Don't make your family suffer as you are suffering. Tell them what you want. Then it is just up to them to faithfully carry out your instructions.

I can tell you from second-hand experience that the fact that my grandparents and aunt signed DNRs made my Dad's life so much easier when the time came to make the inevitable decisions. I don't know that it is any less sad to watch a parent die - I've not yet had to face that - but I can say that it was less stressful for Dad to just do as he was told, one last time.
I would add that one should make the time to discuss not only their end of life decisions but also what their wishes concerning care and placement with those they are considering as their surrogate decision makers. All too often people we trust to follow through on our directives are not in concert with our wishes. Best to find that out before you commit it to a document.

"Well la de freakin' da!" ~~ Matt Foley

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:16 pm

GreatGrey wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:43 pm
Linda Brown, aged 76

What’s that, you don’t know who Linda Brown was?

Yes you do... Brown v. Board of Education

http://digital.wustl.edu/e/eop/eopweb/s ... smith.html

Interview with Linda Brown
At the time the suit was filed, Topeka was uh, partially integrated. There were integrated neighborhoods, there were integrated high schools, integrated junior high schools. The only schools in town that were not integrated were the elementary schools, and this was the reason the suit was instigated, because of the elementary schools being segregated.

The neighborhoods of Topeka at that time were integrated, in fact I lived in an integrated neighborhood. I played with children uh that were Spanish-American. I played with children that were white, children that were Indian, and black children in my neighborhood.

I was a very young child when I started walking to school. I remember the walk as being very long at that time. In fact, it was several blocks up through railroad yards, and crossing a busy avenue, and standing on the corner, and waiting for the school bus to carry me two miles across town to an all black school. Being a young child, when I first started the walk it was very frightening to me um, and then when wintertime came, it was a very cold walk. I remember that. I remember uh walking, tears freezing up on my face, because I began to cry because it was so cold, and many times I had to turn around and run back home.

My father was like a lot of other black parents here in Topeka at that time. They were concerned not about the quality of education that their children were receiving, they were concerned about the amount – or distance, that the child had to go to receive an education. Uh, my father believed very much in right, and he felt that it was wrong for black people to have to accept second-class citizenship, and that meant being segregated in their schools, when in fact, there were schools right in their neighborhoods that they could attend, and they had to go clear across town to attend an all-black school. And this is one of the reasons that he became involved in this suit, because he felt that it was wrong for his child to have to go so far a distance to receive a quality education.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:52 am

:(
New York Times: Philip Kerr, a Scottish-born writer whose popular novels feature a Nazi-era detective named Bernie Gunther, whose hard-boiled style made him literary kin to Philip Marlowe, Raymond Chandler’s classic private eye, died on Friday in London. He was 62.

The cause was bladder cancer, according to his publisher, G. P. Putnam’s Sons.
Adding:
The Guardian: Philip Kerr obituary

WaPo: The late Philip Kerr’s left behind a colorful new novel. It won’t be his last.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:21 pm

LA Times
Stephen Reinhardt, 'liberal lion' of the 9th Circuit, dies at 87

Judge Stephen Reinhardt, the liberal face of the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, died Thursday afternoon, a court spokesman said. He was 87.

The spokesman said Reinhardt died of a heart attack during a visit to a dermatologist.

"All of us here at the 9th Circuit are shocked and deeply saddened by Judge Reinhardt's death," 9th Circuit Chief Judge Sidney R. Thomas said. "We have lost a wonderful colleague and friend."

Thomas called Reinhardt "deeply principled, fiercely passionate about the law and fearless in his decisions." ...

"He was a giant not just on the 9th Circuit but within the law," UC Berkeley law school Dean Erwin Chemerinsky said. "He also was a judge with a particular vision of the law, based on enforcing the Constitution to protect people."

¡Qué vergüenza!

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:51 am

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/03/28/ ... es-at-107/
Johan van Hulst, who saved 600 Jewish kids, dies at 107
He was recognized by Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial center in Jerusalem for risking his life to save Jews during the Holocaust.

An inspector from the Dutch education ministry arrived at Johan van Hulst’s teacher training institute in Amsterdam on the morning of June 19, 1943. He noticed youngsters and, with SS soldiers standing nearby, asked, “Are those Jewish children?”

“You don’t really expect me to answer that, do you?” Dr. van Hulst replied.

The garden of van Hulst’s Reformed Teachers’ Training College bordered the garden of a Jewish nursery. Under van Hulst’s supervision, hundreds of Jewish infants and children had been passed across the hedge and hidden in his school. As van Hulst recalled, the inspector shook his hand and said, quietly, “In God’s name, be careful.”

Van Hulst, who was credited with saving more than 600 Jewish babies and children during World War II and, in 1972, was named Righteous Among the Nations by the Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial center in Jerusalem, died March 22 in Amsterdam. He was 107.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:34 am

That inspector also deserves to be remembered.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

HilltownGrrl

Post by HilltownGrrl » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:59 am

TollandRCR wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:34 am
That inspector also deserves to be remembered.
:yeah:

HilltownGrrl

Post by HilltownGrrl » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:01 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:51 am
https://www.pressherald.com/2018/03/28/ ... es-at-107/
Johan van Hulst, who saved 600 Jewish kids, dies at 107
He was recognized by Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial center in Jerusalem for risking his life to save Jews during the Holocaust.

An inspector from the Dutch education ministry arrived at Johan van Hulst’s teacher training institute in Amsterdam on the morning of June 19, 1943. He noticed youngsters and, with SS soldiers standing nearby, asked, “Are those Jewish children?”

“You don’t really expect me to answer that, do you?” Dr. van Hulst replied.

The garden of van Hulst’s Reformed Teachers’ Training College bordered the garden of a Jewish nursery. Under van Hulst’s supervision, hundreds of Jewish infants and children had been passed across the hedge and hidden in his school. As van Hulst recalled, the inspector shook his hand and said, quietly, “In God’s name, be careful.”

Van Hulst, who was credited with saving more than 600 Jewish babies and children during World War II and, in 1972, was named Righteous Among the Nations by the Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial center in Jerusalem, died March 22 in Amsterdam. He was 107.
Thank you for posting this, TRL - what a remarkable story & man

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:11 pm

gupwalla wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:59 pm
John Thomas8 wrote:

Oregon gives me comfort.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

MRich

Post by MRich » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:26 pm

Oh, man... Steven Bochco, creator of "NYPD Blue" and "Hill Street Blues", dead at 74.

http://variety.com/2018/tv/people-news/ ... 202741169/

TollandRCR

Re: Rest in Peac

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:32 pm

John Thomas8 wrote:
My sister and brother-in-law are both dealing with terminal cancer. I'm kinda having a hard time coping.

Sigh.
I keep thinking about you and yours. I hope you are coping OK.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:33 am

John Thomas8

Re: Rest in Peac

Post by John Thomas8 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:01 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:32 pm
John Thomas8 wrote:

Sigh.
I keep thinking about you and yours. I hope you are coping OK.
Not coping at all really. My brother-in-law succumbed to the cancer earlier this morning. From working on the Apollo Project to keeping me outta jail to just...being an awesome person, this one hit hard.

Thank you for asking, it's time for the big boy pants. at 56, I'm the youngest in the family and after all the loss so far I was hoping to numb at least a little bit, but I guess that's not the way I'm wired. Sigh.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:07 pm

I'm so sorry. :bighug:

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:37 pm

My condolences, JT8.

Image Image Image Image Image

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:39 pm

My sympathy, JTB. :bighug:

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:03 am

I'm sorry to hear about that, JT8. My condolences to you and your family.

I know it seems wrong, but sometimes, at times like these, you have to focus on taking care of yourself first.

Return to “Current Events”