The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

RTH10260

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:54 pm

Anchorage ballet academy roiled by sexual assault allegation against director
pencil Author: Devin Kelly clock Updated: 6 hours ago calendar Published 21 hours ago

The leadership of an Anchorage ballet academy is deciding whether to remove its longtime director after a 27-year-old dance student accused him of sexually assaulting her following a performance of "The Nutcracker" earlier this month.

The allegation, reported to Anchorage police and made public in a Facebook post last week, has triggered other accusations of abusive behavior and harassment from some former dancers and parents of dancers at the Anchorage Classical Ballet Academy. In interviews, the parents and former dancers described 50-year-old Michelangelo Canale as a talented but intimidating ballet instructor who used his authority to engage in a pattern of inappropriate behavior.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/anchora ... -director/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:46 am

Sylvester Stallone denies rape as police investigate

Actor Sylvester Stallone has denied an allegation of rape after police in California opened an investigation.

Santa Monica police said they were examining a complaint of sexual misconduct dating from the 1990s.

The Rocky star said the allegation was "completely fabricated". His lawyer, Martin Singer, said a woman had filed a police report "alleging a rape that occurred 27 years ago".

"My client categorically disputes the claim," Singer continued.

Stallone, 71, received Oscar nominations for Rocky and Creed and starred in the Rambo film series.

Santa Monica police spokesman Lieutenant Saul Rodriguez said: "I can confirm we received an allegation of sexual misconduct involving Mr Stallone.

"The [alleged] victim came forward to report the incident in November 2017. The alleged incident occurred in the early 1990s in Santa Monica."

A "thorough investigation" will be made before the case is presented to the district attorney, he said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-42453515

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:48 pm

PRO-TRUMP SINGER ACCUSES LEWANDOWSKI OF SEXUAL MISCONDUCT
BY JANISSA DELZO ON 12/23/17 AT 9:23 AM

Singer Joy Villa—who gained widespread attention for her pro-Trump dress at the Grammy’s—has accused Cory Lewandowski, President Trump’s former campaign manager, of sexual misconduct.

The 31-year-old singer alleges that Lewandowski slapped her on the butt in November during a holiday party at the Trump International Hotel in Washington, D.C., Politico reports. Villa was reportedly introduced to Lewandowksi for the first time, by a friend at the invite-only party. Moments later, she claims that he inappropriately touched her.

“I’m wearing this silver suit and stretchy pants, and after the photo, he smacks my ass really hard,” Villa told Politico. “It was completely demeaning and shocking.”

http://www.newsweek.com/pro-trump-singe ... uct-757895

JohnPCapitalist
Occupation: Investment management in the financial industry. Deep knowledge of stocks, tech and economics.

Post by JohnPCapitalist » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:01 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:48 pm
PRO-TRUMP SINGER ACCUSES LEWANDOWSKI OF SEXUAL MISCONDUCT
BY JANISSA DELZO ON 12/23/17 AT 9:23 AM

Singer Joy Villa—who gained widespread attention for her pro-Trump dress at the Grammy’s—has accused Cory Lewandowski, President Trump’s former campaign manager, of sexual misconduct.

The 31-year-old singer alleges that Lewandowski slapped her on the butt in November during a holiday party at the Trump International Hotel in Washington, D.C., Politico reports. Villa was reportedly introduced to Lewandowksi for the first time, by a friend at the invite-only party. Moments later, she claims that he inappropriately touched her.

“I’m wearing this silver suit and stretchy pants, and after the photo, he smacks my ass really hard,” Villa told Politico. “It was completely demeaning and shocking.”

http://www.newsweek.com/pro-trump-singe ... uct-757895
I believe that sexual abuse claims should be properly investigated and prosecuted to the fullest extent possible when they are found to be credible, and I despise attorneys who use sleazy tactics such as blaming the victim to win acquittals. And I'm hardly a Corey Lewandowski fan.

That said, in my Scientology-related research, Joy Villa pops up frequently. She's a committed member of that cult. And she's a pathetically shallow fame whore, doing just about anything to try to get her name in the press. She's like a Kardashian, but with way less talent. The world seems to shrug off her increasingly desperate stunts to get noticed, as well it should.

In this one case and this one case only, my bet is that this particular allegation, were it to proceed to litigation, would not be found credible. It's easy to believe that Lewandowski is enough of a pig to be a serial groper. But If you read up on the sordid history of this wretched, conniving woman, I suspect you'd come to the same conclusion, that this is just another attempt to get noticed, inserting herself into the hot issue du jour. I'm willing to admit I'm wrong, but given her history, this one just smells bad.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:14 am

Isn't she the one who went half-naked to the Emmys (Grammys?) wearing nothing but orange construction fencing?

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:19 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:14 am
Isn't she the one who went half-naked to the Emmys (Grammys?) wearing nothing but orange construction fencing?
Yep, Grammys in 2015. I wouldn't call it half naked either. Photo in the sekret tag
Sekrit Stuffs!

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:00 pm

"Fines Double in Work Zone"?

Crowd control?

Snow fencing?

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:04 pm

Azastan wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:00 pm

Crowd control?

Snow fencing?
Attention whore?

Look at me?

No class or taste?

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:47 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:04 pm
Azastan wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:00 pm

Crowd control?

Snow fencing?
Attention whore?

Look at me?

No class or taste?
Somehow I missed that photo. (Don't pay much attention to awards shows.) I'd say all of the above.

Now I'm going to wash my eyes out. I wish I could unsee that.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:35 am

As a guy my reaction is that's not a sexy photo at all.

Your man eyebones will actually STOP LOOKING AT A PITCHER OF A PERTY NAKED GIRL in order to figger out what the heck she's wearing, and that's with advance notice. Even after you get that far, your man mind will be looking at how well specific spots are covered or not. Your man eyebones have developed over millions of years for the benefit of the human race and our eventual victory in the battle against the insects, and the first thing they're supposed to do is LOOK AT THE NAKED GIRL, not the plastic. That's just science, man. That's how evolution works.

Then I wondered, how heavy is that thing? Wouldn't it be uncomfortable as heck?

These terrorist tricks are deplorable! :fingerwag:

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:39 am

Foggy wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:35 am
As a guy my reaction is that's not a sexy photo at all.

Your man eyebones will actually STOP LOOKING AT A PITCHER OF A PERTY NAKED GIRL in order to figger out what the heck she's wearing, and that's with advance notice. Even after you get that far, your man mind will be looking at how well specific spots are covered or not. Your man eyebones have developed over millions of years for the benefit of the human race and our eventual victory in the battle against the insects, and the first thing they're supposed to do is LOOK AT THE NAKED GIRL, not the plastic. That's just science, man. That's how evolution works.

Then I wondered, how heavy is that thing? Wouldn't it be uncomfortable as heck?

These terrorist tricks are deplorable! :fingerwag:
No way to win the battle against the insects. They are mostly ruled by queens!

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:58 pm

Once I see everything I start looking for the flaws. If I don't see everything I start imagining that the best parts are yet to be seen.

Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:21 pm

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:33 pm

Cracked is rapidly getting good again now that it has dropped its idiotic focus on Video. And this article is Great. Because I actually watched this show back in 1999. And it was, and is, fantastic. It was full of the most wonderful black humour a lot of actually went over my head at the time. And yeah it pulls zero punches on how everyone is exploited in Holywood, but especially the women. I watched the whole thing on youtube a couple of years back and it still blew me away. It is hysterically funny, but the message is really really clear. The acting is pretty damn good too. The lead manages to be likable, vulnerable, and an utter, utter asshole.

But yeah. read the article. Its probably why I started the comments near the beginning about the system of Holywood that everyone jumped down my throat for.

http://www.cracked.com/article_25311_a- ... -1999.html

And here is the full tv series if you want to check it out. Its well worth a few hours of your time.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... DB040DDE6C

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:07 pm

Four Women Accuse Paul Haggis of Sexual Misconduct, Including Two Rapes
11:37 AM PST 1/5/2018 by the Associated Press , Ashley Cullins

A civil lawsuit was previously filed against the Oscar-winning filmmaker, prompting three more women to come forward.
A civil lawsuit charging Oscar-winning filmmaker Paul Haggis with raping a publicist has prompted three additional women to come forward with their own sexual misconduct accusations, including another publicist who says he forced her to perform oral sex, then raped her.

One of the other women speaking out told The Associated Press that Haggis tried to sexually assault her. "I need to be inside you," she recalled him saying, before she managed to run away.

Another of the new accusers said Haggis held down her arms, forcibly kissed her on a street corner, then followed her into a taxi. She said she later escaped his clutches.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... es-1072015

JohnPCapitalist
Occupation: Investment management in the financial industry. Deep knowledge of stocks, tech and economics.

Post by JohnPCapitalist » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:19 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:07 pm
Four Women Accuse Paul Haggis of Sexual Misconduct, Including Two Rapes
11:37 AM PST 1/5/2018 by the Associated Press , Ashley Cullins

A civil lawsuit was previously filed against the Oscar-winning filmmaker, prompting three more women to come forward.
A civil lawsuit charging Oscar-winning filmmaker Paul Haggis with raping a publicist has prompted three additional women to come forward with their own sexual misconduct accusations, including another publicist who says he forced her to perform oral sex, then raped her.

One of the other women speaking out told The Associated Press that Haggis tried to sexually assault her. "I need to be inside you," she recalled him saying, before she managed to run away.

Another of the new accusers said Haggis held down her arms, forcibly kissed her on a street corner, then followed her into a taxi. She said she later escaped his clutches.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... es-1072015
Please note that I don't condone sexual abuse at all, and am not in any way acting as an apologist for anyone who commits such acts.

That said, I'd be cautious about taking claims of this sort surrounding Paul Haggis or any other prominent ex Scientologist at face value. Haggis was featured in Pulitzer prize-winning author Larry Wright's epic New Yorker article about his public departure from Scientology (https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2011 ... nce-wright). The success of this article, which continues to be one of the most-read articles on the New Yorker site, spawned Wright's best-selling book "Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief." That, in turn, was turned into an award-winning HBO documentary by Alex Gibney. And that opened the door to Leah Remini's Emmy-winning series "Scientology: The Aftermath," the top-rated show on A&E during its two seasons.

In other words, Haggis sparked a massive years-long public relations train wreck for the cult, and they certainly have him in mind as someone they would like to destroy. Scientology has embarked on significant multi-million dollar campaigns to harass and destroy enemies in the past. There's abundant documentation of numerous attempts to suppress prominent people who have spoken out, which I won't go into here. The details in each case are horrific.

Again, while I don't condone any form of sexual abuse by anyone under any circumstances, and while I'm not familiar enough with Haggis or his work to want to defend him as a fan, I would encourage skepticism around this particular set of abuse claims until more evidence is available, simply because of Scientology's past history.

By the way, Scientology is the same cult that actively interfered in the ongoing rape investigation of Scientologist/actor Danny Masterson by coaching Scientologist victims and trying to get them not to cooperate with police, and by attempting to intimidate non-Scientologist victims. Their hands are not exactly clean when it comes to trying to claim some sort of moral high ground.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:29 pm

I agree. Having seen the HBO documentary and watched the Leah Remini series, I would take these accusations with a huge grain of salt. Since Haggis left and then spoke out against Scientology, it has been pretty clear they have gone after him and anyone else they consider their enemies (which is anyone who speaks out against them) with a vengeance. There doesn't appear to be a low that cannot be reached by that cult.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:51 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:29 pm
I agree. Having seen the HBO documentary and watched the Leah Remini series, I would take these accusations with a huge grain of salt. Since Haggis left and then spoke out against Scientology, it has been pretty clear they have gone after him and anyone else they consider their enemies (which is anyone who speaks out against them) with a vengeance. There doesn't appear to be a low that cannot be reached by that cult.
:yeah:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Domenico

Post by Domenico » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:40 am

Here's one from Australia.

Craig McLachlan: Seven asks for 'urgent' Doctor Blake update over indecent assault allegations.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-08/c ... te/9312304

Larky K' Chamcha

Post by Larky K' Chamcha » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:36 am

Domenico wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:40 am
Here's one from Australia.

Craig McLachlan: Seven asks for 'urgent' Doctor Blake update over indecent assault allegations.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-08/c ... te/9312304
And another from the UK: BBC's Ordeal by Innocence to replace Ed Westwick following sexual assault allegations

:( these stories are appearing from many parts of the anglophone world; it's so sad that there has been so much abuse, so many victims :(

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:43 pm

And another one-

WPSD Local 6‏
@WPSDLocal6
Follow
Follow @WPSDLocal6

More
BREAKING: Kentucky GOP House Speaker Jeff Hoover resigns his leadership post more than 2 months after acknowledging a secret settlement of a sexual harassment claim.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:00 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:43 pm
And another one-

WPSD Local 6‏
@WPSDLocal6
Follow
Follow @WPSDLocal6

More
BREAKING: Kentucky GOP House Speaker Jeff Hoover resigns his leadership post more than 2 months after acknowledging a secret settlement of a sexual harassment claim.
He's not resigning his seat, just his position as House Speaker.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:01 pm

Former Idaho state lawmaker kills himself amid sexual abuse allegations

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch ... ssion=true
Brandon Hixon (R) was found in his home dead of a self-inflicted gunshot, according to Canyon County, Idaho Coroner Vicki DeGeus-Morris.

Hixon, who was first elected to the state legislature in 2012, became the subject of a criminal investigation in October. He resigned from his position two days later after reports that he was under investigation over “sexual abuse allegations,” according to the Idaho Statesman.

“I hope that my efforts have helped improve the lives of my constituents in District 10, as well as all Idahoans,” Hixon wrote in his resignation letter. “I will never forget all of my colleagues that I very much enjoyed working side by side with to make Idaho a better place for all.”

Hixon was also the subject of a separate investigation in 2014, according to the Statesman, when he was accused of inappropriate touching. According to a partial report obtained by the Statesman, Hixon reportedly said the allegation “could ruin his political career.”

JohnPCapitalist

Post by JohnPCapitalist » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:34 pm

Now Michael Douglas, source of my avatar, is popping up in the sexual harassment drama.
Michael Douglas Gets Out Front Of Potential Harassment Story To Preemptively Deny Sordid Accusation

by Mike Fleming Jr
January 9, 2018 6:41pm

Groundbreaking journalism that exposed decades old accusations of sexual harassment and sexual assault beginning with Harvey Weinstein has ended the careers of a growing list of powerful Hollywood men. In most cases, the only sympathy went towards women (and a few men) who were forced to swallow the shame of sordid deeds kept secret for years until they courageously came forward. As journos look for the next men to expose, some have wondered how far all this will go, or what happens when one of those men is adamant he didn’t do it. After all, few of these stories have been accompanied by police reports, DNA evidence or criminal prosecutions.

After a storied 50 year career as actor and producer that includes two Oscars, Michael Douglas finds himself accused of something tawdry he said that he didn’t do: masturbate in front of a former employee. Noticing too many of the recent stories could be best described as She Said, He’s Gone, Douglas was uncomfortable waiting to be the villain in a narrative crafted by either The Hollywood Reporter or Variety, two publications he said have reached out to possibly publish allegations involving an employee claiming something happened over 30 years ago, which he vehemently denies. Even though he understands he is inviting scrutiny by volunteering details that could harm his career if other women come forward with more accusations, Douglas felt strongly enough that he would prefer to have some control over the narrative, that he asked to tell Deadline his story. The accusation story will most likely follow elsewhere, but in this moment of “she said, he said” trial by journalism, it was never specified whose version had to be first. So here, Douglas states his case.

DEADLINE: Why are you coming forward before an expose story that may or may not surface, when your preemptive move will draw attention and create controversy all its own?

DOUGLAS: I felt the need to get ahead of this. It pertains to me but I’m also getting a sense of how it reflects in our culture, and what is going on today. I see it as a cautionary tale. Right before the holidays in December, the day my son got early acceptance to the college he wants to go to, when we were all ecstatic, I got a message from my attorney that The Hollywood Reporter wanted to do a story about an employee that worked for me approximately 32 years ago. She claims that, One, I used colorful language in front of her, not at her, but that I used colorful language. Two, she claims that in conversations I had in front of her, on the phone, that I spoke raunchily, or dirtily with friends of mine, in private conversations. I fired her eventually, for the work she was doing, but Three, she claims that I blackballed her from the industry and stopped her form getting another job.

And then, Four, she claims that I masturbated in front of her. My attorney was asked, ‘do I have any comment?’ I said, yeah, let me speak to the reporter. I tried to think to reach back thirty plus years to try to remember. I remembered this woman: sophisticated intelligent, good sense of humor. A novelist, who has written books and published novels and was an active feminist, and proud of it. My head was reeling. I just couldn’t put this together. I’ve had no contact with her, in thirty-plus years. I talked to the reporter and said, ‘listen, as far as using colorful language in front her, I apologize. None of it was directed at her; she didn’t say it was. It was my office and that was the tone that I set and as far as conversations with friends.’ I work out of my house, my apartment in New York at the time, to the best of my recollection. As to colorful language, she may have overheard private conversations, and if she was offended, she could have excused herself. As far as blackballing her, that was completely untrue. She was a lady who was involved in development at my company, and we just didn’t have a good development record in the time she was there, so I just moved on. I never blackballed her. If people from the industry called me to ask about her, I would have been honest, but I never blackballed her.

Finally, masturbating in front of her? I don’t know where to begin. This is a complete lie, fabrication, no truth to it whatsoever. The reporter told me, ‘she did say that you never harassed her, never touched her,’ and I said…okay. So I didn’t know where this comes from. The reporter said, ‘let me digest this, and we’ll sit on it over the holidays and get back into it after.’ My family had a lovely holiday, we came back and literally on the day of my arrival, The Hollywood Reporter got in touch with me and said, she’s running around, possibly trying to give this story to other people, so we’re going to run with it. I said, I don’t think that’s justification, just because you might get scooped, to run a story like this. My attorney did say they had been approached by Variety or somebody else, asking if there was anything going on.

I was floored. I didn’t know what to say and I tried to digest it. The accusations are minimal, except of course for the idea of masturbating in front of her. She supposedly had three friends who would back her up, that she had mentioned this to. I pride myself of being so supportive of the women’s movement. My mother was an actress, and I myself married to an actress and have been supportive of this movement wholeheartedly, through all my years. I was forced to look over my past. I’ve had up to 20 female executives who worked at my company in different areas over the years. Over 20 producers I partnered with on pictures have been women. Not to mention all the actresses I’ve worked with and the hundreds of performers. How am I, in a 50 year career in this industry, dealing with an employee 33 years ago who perhaps is disgruntled that I let her go, even though I have never heard from her in 32 years. And a legitimate trade publication is going to try and print this story? There is no corroboration, just that they found out somebody else might run the story.

DEADLINE: Clearly, the most serious thing being alleged is that you masturbated in front of a woman who worked for your company. You deny it. It doesn’t sound like there are other witnesses who observed it?

DOUGLAS: Correct.

DEADLINE: Just to be completely clear here. Are you saying that you never harassed this woman, or anyone else, in such a salacious manner as she has alleged to a journalist?

DOUGLAS: Absolutely; that’s exactly what I am saying.

DEADLINE: It almost seems like those man in jeopardy movies you used to make in the ‘80s. What’s it feel like to be targeted, based on someone making an allegation, and if a journalist can find several friends of hers who say she mentioned it to them, that is the bar for publication?

DOUGLAS: It’s extremely painful. I pride myself on my reputation in this business, not to mention the long history of my father and everything else. I don’t have skeletons in my closet, or anyone else who’s coming out or saying this. I’m bewildered why, after 32 years, this is coming out, now. As I say, I will fess up to colorful language, but the issue of masturbating in front of her? That rung is something I’ve only heard about the last year. It’s not an expression that related to the ‘80s. So I thought it stunk. And I tried to figure out, why the hell would somebody do this? The part that hurt the worst is having to share something like this to your wife and your children. My kids are really upset, has to go to school worrying this is going to be in some article about me, being a sexual harasser. They’re scared and very uncomfortable.

My wife has a long career, and as a woman, she has been very supportive. So what is this? The woman, it turns out, is a blogger. We’ve had to do some quick research, and she has mentioned my name sometimes in her blogs. Nothing terrible. It leads me to believe she either has or is trying to get a book deal. I can’t believe that someone would cause someone else pain like this. Maybe she is disgruntled her career didn’t go the way she hoped and she is holding this grudge. It has caused tremendous stress to me for something I believe I have nothing to regret or feel responsible for.

I’m certainly regretful if she was offended by the language in the ‘80s, but this other thing, she would not be getting a story in a trade paper with these other issues. The one that she raises, is the reason for that story.

DEADLINE: So that is why we are speaking?

DOUGLAS: I had the choice of waiting for a story to come out, one that will clearly get picked up by other newspapers and magazines, and then I have to sit there and try to defend myself. Or, try to share with the public, a little ahead of the story, my thoughts and concerns. Again, I am sorry if I used coarse language with my friends. But this is really debilitating. It can have a large effect on my career. And also, I think it really sends a message out.

DEADLINE: What message?

DOUGLAS: Look, I support the #metoo movement with all my heart. I have always supported women, along the way. This is the kind of step that can set that movement back. Being accused, without a chance [to defend yourself] in court. To not even really have the information in front of you, to be able to argue or defend yourself. There is no due process, no chance of seeing evidence in front of me from my accuser. It worries me. I saw Sheryl Sandberg, warned about a potential backlash in this area. I’m just happy to be able to present my story. I’m grateful to have the support of my wife and my kids who’ve had to share this with me. It has been a complete nightmare. It’s really hard to conceive that I have to defend myself against a situation that is 32 years ago, and it was not what they are saying it was.

DEADLINE: In some of these cases, women said, this happened to me and it created an avalanche of other women coming forward with similar tales. Are you prepared for that, and do you fear that volunteering this allegation, that others will come forward?

DOUGLAS: No, I don’t, except that I’ve had a few people call me, who’ve been approached by The Reporter, people I worked with over the years who’ve been told, we’re doing this story on Michael Douglas and harassment. Do you have any comment to make? They are reaching out trying to get any corroboration. Everything that has been said to me, I have reason to believe that no one else has come forward. I’ve worked with women my entire life. It has never been an issue. And now it’s an issue, with a woman who was there 32 years ago, who happens to be a writer, who happens to write blogs, who says she wants to write a book about her life, and a chapter about me, and yet, that is lost in the accusations in the period we’re in right now.

My reasons are personal in coming forward. But I’m going to continue the way I’ve always treated women, as equals and my peers. Working closely with them. I would hope that as a cautionary tale, we will be careful about accusing, and being accused. If a tabloid like the National Enquirer came forward with a story like this, they usually show you the story and you comment. Now, we’re in a situation with an industry paper, where they’re doing a story but won’t share it with you, and finds the need to take someone of my repute and reputation in the business after all these years, to have to share a story publicly. As if they’re doing a service, other than exploiting a situation.

DEADLINE: And you are concerned that your career could be defined by this? Is there any evidence?

DOUGLAS: There is no evidence. This would not be presented in a court of law. This is way past the statute of limitations. I can only imagine this has come up to hurt someone, or to benefit someone in a book deal so they can write a chapter on me? I find this whole thing really irresponsible and it hurts people who are supportive of this movement and who believe in it. This is my own personal taste. I don’t live in Los Angeles. I hope this movement continues to grow, but that there is care shown in who is accused and how the accusation is handled.

DEADLINE: When you read the articles in The New York Times and The New Yorker about Harvey Weinstein, it’s clear why women waited so long to speak up. You can feel their pain and it’s understandable why some who harbored shame for so long, would finally speak up. It feels like you feel that this isn’t that.

DOUGLAS: I’d confess to anything I thought I was responsible for. And it was most certainly not masturbating in front of this woman. This reeks. I would have respected if she had reached out to me any time over these years, to share her pain or concerns and I would have been the first one to respond. But this, going directly to the newspapers or whatever you want to call them, it just reeks of something else. I’m upset. It wasn’t the new year I had anticipated. I’m having a hard time understanding it. I’m very grateful to my family and business associates around me. I’m fearful, I have jobs going with studios who all seem to be supportive at this time. I’m hurt, really hurt and offended and I wonder if people realize when you do something like this, it hurts a lot more than just one person.

DEADLINE: So, rather than wait for a potential story and let it hang over your head, you’ve chosen to come out ahead of it with the information, to have more control over your narrative?

DOUGLAS: That is correct.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:09 pm

Royal Philharmonic Orchestra conductor quits over abuse claims

Charles Dutoit’s position described as ‘untenable’ after six women accuse him of sexual assault

Return to “Current Events”