The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

RTH10260

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:00 am

Kentucky GOP rejects governor's call for resignations
By ADAM BEAM, ASSOCIATED PRESS FRANKFORT, Ky. — Dec 2, 2017, 7:03 PM ET
Matt BevinThe Associated Press

Kentucky's Republican governor asked his party on Saturday to call for the resignation of four GOP lawmakers who signed a secret sexual harassment settlement, but party leaders rejected it in a move the governor said "speaks to the fact that we've got real problems."

The Republican Party of Kentucky's Central Committee held its regular meeting on Saturday. Party Chairman Mac Brown introduced a resolution that condemned "proven sexual harassment in any form committed by any public servant in the state of Kentucky."

Gov. Matt Bevin tried to amend the resolution so it would also call for the resignation of any lawmaker who paid to settle a sexual harassment claim. Four Republican lawmakers settled such a claim in October. But Bevin's amendment failed by a vote of 48-38.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/kent ... s-51536744

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:23 am

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:05 pm

Congressman Says He Will Pay Back $84,000 Sexual Harassment Settlement

By Maya Rhodan 2:23 PM EST

A Texas Congressman [Rep. Blake Farenthold] said Monday he would pay back the $84,000 in taxpayer money that was used to settle a sexual harassment lawsuit that was filed by a former employee.

“Even though I was completely exonerated by [the Office of Congressional Ethics] and the settlement agreement has been paid, I am doing my best and am going to hand a check over this week to, probably Speaker Ryan or somebody, and say, look, here is the amount of my settlement. Give it back to the taxpayers,” Farenthold said in an interview with KRIS-TV.

In 2014, Rep. Blake Farenthold’s former communications director Lauren Greene sued alleging she’d been sexually harassed by the Congressman while working in his office. On Friday, Politico reported that Farenthold’s office used taxpayer money to pay off an $84,000 settlement that was reached in that case.

http://time.com/5048265/blake-farenthol ... ettlement/

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:14 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:05 pm
Congressman Says He Will Pay Back $84,000 Sexual Harassment Settlement

By Maya Rhodan 2:23 PM EST

A Texas Congressman [Rep. Blake Farenthold] said Monday he would pay back the $84,000 in taxpayer money that was used to settle a sexual harassment lawsuit that was filed by a former employee.

“Even though I was completely exonerated by [the Office of Congressional Ethics] and the settlement agreement has been paid, I am doing my best and am going to hand a check over this week to, probably Speaker Ryan or somebody, and say, look, here is the amount of my settlement. Give it back to the taxpayers,” Farenthold said in an interview with KRIS-TV.

In 2014, Rep. Blake Farenthold’s former communications director Lauren Greene sued alleging she’d been sexually harassed by the Congressman while working in his office. On Friday, Politico reported that Farenthold’s office used taxpayer money to pay off an $84,000 settlement that was reached in that case.

http://time.com/5048265/blake-farenthol ... ettlement/
Presumably that money is coming from his salary, which is paid for via taxes, so . . .

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:11 pm

Couldn't find a Bill O'Reilly thread.
Bill O’Reilly sued by woman who says he violated terms of settlement in a harassment case

Bill O’Reilly is being sued by a woman who claims he violated a settlement agreement in a harassment case by disparaging her in the news media as a liar and extortionist.

Rachel Witlieb Bernstein’s attorneys filed a lawsuit Monday in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York against O’Reilly and his former employer, Fox News, for breach of contract and defamation.

One of the lawyers, Neil Mullin, said O’Reilly and the network violated a non-disparagement clause in their 2002 settlement agreement with Bernstein, which stated that if asked about the case, they should simply say “the matter has been settled.”

As the New York Times reported:

O’Reilly has repeatedly said that the harassment allegations that led to his ouster from Fox News in April have no merit, that he never mistreated anyone and that he resolved the matters privately to protect his children.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/art ... ment-case/

Attorney press release and Complaint.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... eilly.html

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:42 pm

Crap complaint by someone trying to take advantage of the current climate. I don't think anything O'Reilly is accused of doing contravenes the settlement agreement.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:23 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:23 am
This is another one that has been talked about for DECADES. Seriously, there's a documented history going back at least to the 1970s. It even made the NYT, which dismissed the allegations and didn't give them any further coverage for many years. The Met's board of directors has been aware of this for decades; they've paid out settlements.

It's not enough to call out the perpetrators. Their enablers are just as accountable for repeatedly failing to take corrective measures when incidents become known and are verified.

For years, the standard institutional response has been a cash settlement and an NDA, which protects the organization from bad publicity, and often permits the offender to retain his or her position. This has got to stop.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:27 pm

I believe cash settlements are entirely appropriate; but of course the other problem with cash settlements is that they allow the naysayers to prattle on about how people are just making wild accusations for a payday. See: everyone who supports Michael Jackson and Bill Cosby

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:54 pm

https://www.npr.org/2017/12/06/56883260 ... -to-resign
Updated at 7:51 p.m. ET

Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., plans to announce his resignation on Thursday, a Democratic official tells Minnesota Public Radio. The official spoke to Franken and key aides, MPR News reports.

Franken's office, however, says that "no final decision has been made."
I don't agree with this at all. In none of the photos we've seen was there any actual touching shown.

(Still don't agree about Keillor, either.)

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:55 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:54 pm

Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., plans to announce his resignation on Thursday, a Democratic official tells Minnesota Public Radio. The official spoke to Franken and key aides, MPR News reports.

I don't agree with this at all. In none of the photos we've seen was there any actual touching shown.

Re: Franken, there's been at least one more allegation since then.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:58 pm

maydijo wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:55 pm
pipistrelle wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:54 pm

Re: Franken, there's been at least one more allegation since then.
I saw it. It was also not exactly clean.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:16 pm

If dems resign over minor shit and Republicans elect kid fuckers, all that will result in is empty dem and stuffed repub benches.

Franken should stay put.

"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:18 pm

Suranis wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:16 pm
Franken should stay put.
That's the way the comments are running, especially given the sketchiness of the accusations. Some seem to believe Stone is behind them.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:26 pm

Franken is done.

The Democrats are trying to figure out how to lose the elections in 2018 and 2020.

At least the Governor of Minnesota is a solid Dem DLFer. I predict he'll appoint his Lt. Governor as the next U.S. Senator. And I hope he does it quickly.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:36 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:26 pm
Franken is done.

The Democrats are trying to figure out how to lose the elections in 2018 and 2020.

At least the Governor of Minnesota is a solid Dem DLFer. I predict he'll appoint his Lt. Governor as the next U.S. Senator. And I hope he does it quickly.
I agree he’d be ineffective, but this was a hatchet job. I’m naive enough to be appalled.

Lani

Post by Lani » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:46 pm

I'm disappointed that Franken is being denied the investigation he requested. Who's the next Dem to be dumped without a hearing when Stone launches the next attack?

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:51 pm

Lani wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:46 pm
I'm disappointed that Franken is being denied the investigation he requested. Who's the next Dem to be dumped without a hearing when Stone launches the next attack?
:yeah: and he will. major hatchet jobk. he touched my waist. stupid.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:57 am

Saw a comment on Wonkette that is interesting. I think the blowback is the point of this, to return things to the status quo... after getting rid of a few effective Dems, of course. Cant have effective politicians opposing us.

https://wonkette.com/626617/rape-fan-mi ... 3648767744
You completely missed the point.

Franken was accused of a kiss. Kihuen was accused of making a pass. Seder was accused of making a joke.

All of these are a far cry from Wienstein. More to the point, they are decreasing levels of sexual misconduct. Since Wienstein, we have moved from rape to assault to harassment to rehearsal to making a pass to making a joke.

Their goal is to equate all sexual conduct with criminal sexual conduct. Not to end sexual conduct - that will never happen - but to end any attempt to sanction any sexual conduct, whether criminal or not. Hence "all men." Once they equate this movement against sexual harassment with a movement against sexual behavior of any kind, then we go right back to the old rules - where sex is bad but boys will be boys so whatcha gonna do? Nothing. That's what you're gonna do.

For the record: Franken is completely innocent. He did nothing wrong; he apologized only for because someone else felt hurt. For that kindness he is a condemned.

I have no idea if Kiheun was a jackass or not; I am sure it is possible that he was; but to even talk about him while we are talking about Wienstein is to surrender to false equivalence.

Conyers should have been sacked when it happened. But if we're going to be sacking congressmen for sexual misconduct, shouldn't there be a line and the worst go first? Instead, while Pelosi is calling Conyers to resign, the Republicans will be seating Moore. Democrats will pride themselves on moral purity and Republicans will laugh and continue dismantling the social safety net.

Nonetheless, I'm fine with bouncing Conyers. He had an investigation. He settled for real money. He actually did something wrong! But these other cases range from lies to misunderstandings, from clumsy to boorish. Is that really worth unilaterally disarming? This is the same impulse that cast out Hillary Clinton for giving 3% of her speeches to banks.

Let not the perfect be the enemy of the good. How many times does it need to be said?

"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:29 am

Hatchet job? Roger Stone? I'm sorry, did no one read the Tina Dupuy (rabid liberal) article in the Atlantic about being groped by Franken?

The sins remain minor, IMO, but it's clear he did this shit all the time. Which is not surprising--it is the norm I grew up in. Copping a feel is/was a right of passage: encouraged, accepted, and applauded.

Which is what I said in my message to Kirsten Gillibrand today, as I pointed out that by punishing the guy who fessed up and apologized, she was sending the message that denial was indeed, the clever choice; that women are liars and there is no societal problem with casual molestation. We are in bizarro world again, where the truth is based on who's side we're on. If you disbelief Tina Dupuy, you can go live in Alabama.

I believe the women. Does that mean every word and detail of every story is gospel? Does that mean if every word isn't true, none of it is true? Does that mean it was easier to come forward if you're a republcian? Does that mean I think Franken should go? Hell no.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... oo/547691/

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:

Sluffy1

Post by Sluffy1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:11 am

My bet (hope is a better word) is Franken does not resign... he should take a page from the Moore apologists and Trump and let the Minn voters decide.... that's what I'd do if I were he.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:39 am

My personal policy with accusations of sexual misconduct has been to believe the women unless there is good reason not to. With Franken, I thought there was good reason not to believe the first two accusers - particularly given Stone's apparent advance knowledge and the subsequent tour of right-wing media. But the number of accusations keeps climbing, and there doesn't seem to be good reason to disbelieve all of the others.

I'm disappointed because Franken has been one of my favorite politicians for a while now. I thought and argued that he would have been a good VP pick, particularly against Trump. But he's now under a huge cloud and it's not going to go away. He certainly won't be an effective advocate for anything that's remotely connected with this issue. His conduct will continue to be a distraction from any substantive issue. I seriously question his ability to effectively serve his constituents or the country under these conditions, which will last for the foreseeable future. That's reality.

As far as the attempt to distinguish groping from other forms of sexual misconduct, the whole thing strikes me as special pleading on behalf of politicians based on whether they're otherwise likable. It's the same thing the Moore apologists are doing.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:48 am

I am more conflicted on the Franken matter than I was originally, but I am also hoping he doesn't resign. If let-the-Alabama-voters-decide is good enough for the republicans, then it should be good enough for the Democrats. I hate that I am writing that, but I see the Franken stuff as largely politically motivated and an attempt to drive him out of the Senate. He apologized sincerely in the first instance, has remembered some things differently from the accusers, and, I think, outright denied the last accusation. Staff who have worked with him have said he has treated them with utmost respect. I think Franken is a decent man; I do not think Moore is a decent man. And 45 should just keep his foul mouth shut on this matter.

These actions by men should not all be lumped into one basket. I do not equate what an uncle did to me with what happened to a friend who was gang raped.

And we'll all pay for this as Franken might have been a good candidate for the presidency. I think that is over now.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:57 am

Franken is speaking. He's resigning.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:24 pm

Dahlia Lithwick has it right, I think.
And I remember it almost daily now, as John Conyers steps down after 52 years in Congress, amid credible allegations of sexual harassment, and Al Franken is called upon to step down, amid credible allegations of sexual harassment, while Roy Moore continues—with the president’s and the GOP’s overt endorsement—his run for Senate amid credible allegations of sexual abuse of children.

Al Franken, many argue, should now resign. He should resign immediately because there are credible accusers (another emerged Wednesday), and because the behavior alleged is sufficiently abhorrent that there is simply no basis to defend him. In this parade of unilateral disarmament, Trump stays, Conyers goes, Moore stays, Franken goes.

Is this the principled solution? By every metric I can think of, it’s correct. But it’s also wrong. It’s wrong because we no longer inhabit a closed ethical system, in which morality and norm preservation are their own rewards. We live in a broken and corroded system in which unilateral disarmament is going to destroy the very things we want to preserve.

To see the double standard in action, watch Mike Huckabee making the case that Roy Moore should be welcomed into the Senate because Franken has stayed. Then keep watching and realize that in the next breath, he adds that Moore has “denied the charges against him vehemently and categorically” so they must be false. Franken and Conyers are deployed by the right to say Moore should stay, and then they are dismissed as suckers for crediting their accusers.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... ality.html

We all remember the hissy fits the right has thrown since, well, forever. That’s their tactic. Act like a child until a grownup realizes you won’t stop and grudgingly gives you what you’re screaming about, just to make you stfu. Dems do the right thing and get crucified and called weak. Barking mad Republicans molest little girls and are heros.

Do I want to live in this world? No, I do not. Elect more women.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:57 pm

Franken: “There is some irony in the fact that I am leaving while a man who has bragged on tape about his history of sexual assault sits in the Oval Office, and a man who has repeatedly preyed on young girls campaigns for the Senate with the full support of his party.”
While it is sad to see Franken go and he is no where near as culpable as Trump, Roy Moore or any of the Hollywood types, I think he did the right thing.

The Democrats have to make this their issue and they have to show zero tolerance. Franken did the party a service by falling on his sword and helping them do that.

The Republicans are the party of pussy grabbers and bible thumping pederasts and the Democrats are the party where a little grab ass gets you thrown out. That's the way it needs to be.

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

Return to “Current Events”