The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

User avatar
Sterngard Friegen
Posts: 41191
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:32 am
Location: Trump International - Malibu

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#301

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:16 am

Calm down, W4. It's Pat Robertson. He's on the wrong side of every social issue.



User avatar
Notorial Dissent
Posts: 8720
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#302

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:20 am

Of course Pat Robertson sees nothing wrong with it, they are ONLY women, they should bow down in subservience and debasement before their masters. This attitude is a surprise why considering the source? He is a sickening nasty old man, but again how is this any different from any time in living memory. This is after all the man who called the Aids epidemic just retribution along with Katrina and many other things. He is truly disgusting.


The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

User avatar
Whatever4
Posts: 10961
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:36 am
Location: Here
Occupation: Visiting doctors.

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#303

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:23 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:16 am
Calm down, W4. It's Pat Robertson. He's on the wrong side of every social issue.
:evil: I know. But I keep seeing people say “the poor guys whose careers are now damaged.” And I think of where women would be if for thousands of years we had been admitted to the club.


"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

User avatar
Notorial Dissent
Posts: 8720
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#304

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:16 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:16 am
Calm down, W4. It's Pat Robertson. He's on the wrong side of every social issue.
You forgot every decent human issue.
Whatever4 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:23 am
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:16 am
Calm down, W4. It's Pat Robertson. He's on the wrong side of every social issue.
:evil: I know. But I keep seeing people say “the poor guys whose careers are now damaged.” And I think of where women would be if for thousands of years we had been admitted to the club.
If they hadn't wanted their careers ruined, which they did all on their ownsome thank you very much, then they shouldn'ta hadn'ta oughta done what they did. Kind of like the bank robber who ruined his life because he robbed a bank, all someone elses fault. NOT!!!!


The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

User avatar
Slartibartfast
Posts: 6932
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:52 pm

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#305

Post by Slartibartfast » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:12 am

p0rtia wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:26 pm
DejaMoo wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:43 pm
Slartibartfast wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:16 pm

Women do not have millennia of patriarchy supporting such actions nor a biological imperative to spread their seed as widely as possible.
This isn't about sex; it's about power and dominance. Sex is commonly used as a means to dominate and humiliate another person, but the motivation is dominance, not sex.
This. It's an excuse, isn't it? It's sort of like saying it's hard for men to not bash in the heads of people they don't like because, testosterone. I mean, that's insulting to men, isn't it? It's hard for all of us to do the right thing.

This is a societal problem. Society has accepted the idea that it's okay sometimes to treat women like shit or like toys, and that the women should just shut about it. People who hold or who have risen to positions of power, even little tiny pockets of power, discover that they can be abusive to some people (including most women), and that society will either egg them on or wink or believe them when they say it's not true. People who are sexual predators or just cruel monsters also use the normalization of sexual predation to get away with even more horrible shit.

BTW, anybody who wants to come out here and talk about the shit that they've done that they now regret would be welcome, at least by me. Because there's no way none of us hasn't crossed a line at some point.
I'm sorry, but this is exactly about sex (or, more accurately, impulses for power and dominance being channeled through sex) -- it's in the title of the thread, for Jeebus' sake. There are plenty of ways that power and dominance are exercised that don't involve sex, but they aren't discussed in this thread. And it is not an excuse to point out that men and women are biologically different and thus have evolved different strategies for the optimal propagation of their genome.

Is that a mitigating factor for male abusers? Absolutely not. Unless they were literally raised by gorillas or wolves in the wild. Does it help explain why male perpetrators of this kind of aggression are more common in our society? Certainly. We are all nothing more than our DNA's response to its environment and men have a whole other chromosome that women don't.

Too, also, I would disagree that it is hard to do the right thing -- in fact, doing the right thing is generally easier (cf. lying vs. honesty), sometimes we just lack the courage to do what we know we should and accept the results. That may be scary, but it's rarely difficult.

Finally, while I wholeheartedly agree with p0rtia's comment about welcoming people's confessions, I don't think "regret" is the right word there. There are many things I regret, or am even embarrassed by, about which I feel no shame. So I will take you up on that and tell everyone about the thing I am most ashamed of (although not in this thread because it doesn't involve sex). I'll also show my courage and do to others what I would have them do to me by calling out what I see as bad behavior by others.


"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

User avatar
Suranis
Posts: 14040
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:04 am

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#306

Post by Suranis » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:48 am

The only reason there seem to be more male perpetrators of this stuff is that it is males tend to be in the high level positions that allows them to get away with this shit, and males tend not to report on this stuff, because to society "all sex is good sex to a man." Its the equivalent of that Republican idiot saying "lie back and enjoy it." You think its hard for a woman to come forward? Try it as a man.

And try setting up a shelter for abused husbands and see how far you get, despite the fact that 40% of abused partners are male. So if women are abusing their partners in number near the level of men are, of course some women would also flash their crotches at men to make them uncomfortable given the opportunity to get away with it. And I am damn sure cases of just that will come forward in the future and people will not want to believe it.

I REALLY didn't want to turn this into a man vs woman issue, but come on...

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... c-violence
More than 40% of domestic violence victims are male, report reveals
Campaign group Parity claims assaults by wives and girlfriends are often ignored by police and media

Sunday 5 September 2010 00.07 BST

About two in five of all victims of domestic violence are men, contradicting the widespread impression that it is almost always women who are left battered and bruised, a new report claims.

Men assaulted by their partners are often ignored by police, see their attacker go free and have far fewer refuges to flee to than women, says a study by the men's rights campaign group Parity.

The charity's analysis of statistics on domestic violence shows the number of men attacked by wives or girlfriends is much higher than thought. Its report, Domestic Violence: The Male Perspective, states: "Domestic violence is often seen as a female victim/male perpetrator problem, but the evidence demonstrates that this is a false picture."

Data from Home Office statistical bulletins and the British Crime Survey show that men made up about 40% of domestic violence victims each year between 2004-05 and 2008-09, the last year for which figures are available. In 2006-07 men made up 43.4% of all those who had suffered partner abuse in the previous year, which rose to 45.5% in 2007-08 but fell to 37.7% in 2008-09.


"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

User avatar
pipistrelle
Posts: 2648
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:26 am

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#307

Post by pipistrelle » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:04 am

Dan1100 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:24 pm
pipistrelle wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:05 pm
This may go against the grain, but I'm not convinced about either Franken or Keillor. Sorry.

Lauer (whom I've never seen) sounds like a mess, though.
It is a difference in degree. There has been a tendency to flatten things out and not differentiate severity.

Franken and Keillor are at worst accused of low grade misdemeanors that in real life would have gotten a first offender an amendment to the lowest grade of assault and bench probation, if that.
Pretty severe retribution for allegations. I'm saying I don't believe them at this point in these two cases.



User avatar
Suranis
Posts: 14040
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:04 am

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#308

Post by Suranis » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:06 am

Plus the fact is that people who have worked with Franken have been near unanimous in their support for him.


"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

User avatar
RVInit
Posts: 4650
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#309

Post by RVInit » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:41 am

Suranis wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:06 am
Plus the fact is that people who have worked with Franken have been near unanimous in their support for him.
I also agree. The Franken allegations reek of political hit job. Leeann Tweeden - for chrissakes she appeared on Sean Hannity show how many times? Franken himself asked for a thorough ethics investigation, and I have a feeling it's because he knows how it will come out. Taking Tweeden out of the equation you are left with a second accuser whose social media smacks of having been severely cleaned out, but only since Trump ran for office. We can't start demanding that every man or woman who is accused of grabbing someone's butt during a photo must step down from office. Nobody can possibly defend themselves against such an accusation. We are talking about two people here both of whom seem to have political motive. Franken is the only case that I do not believe at this point. I believe all the others, including Conyers and others made against liberals. I do not have this opinion because Franken is a liberal. I have this opinion because the accusers have demonstrable political affiliation and nothing else has come out, including women who have worked for him for many years. If one of them comes out, I will change my mind.


"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

User avatar
neeneko
Posts: 483
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:08 am

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#310

Post by neeneko » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:48 am

Whatever4 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:23 am
:evil: I know. But I keep seeing people say “the poor guys whose careers are now damaged.” And I think of where women would be if for thousands of years we had been admitted to the club.
Think of where humanity would be today if over half the talent pool had been given full access to civilization. The difference it would have made in science alone is mind boggling.



User avatar
RVInit
Posts: 4650
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#311

Post by RVInit » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:11 am

neeneko wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:48 am
Whatever4 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:23 am
:evil: I know. But I keep seeing people say “the poor guys whose careers are now damaged.” And I think of where women would be if for thousands of years we had been admitted to the club.
Think of where humanity would be today if over half the talent pool had been given full access to civilization. The difference it would have made in science alone is mind boggling.
:yeah:


"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 3751
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#312

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:12 am

RVInit wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:11 am
neeneko wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:48 am
Whatever4 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:23 am
:evil: I know. But I keep seeing people say “the poor guys whose careers are now damaged.” And I think of where women would be if for thousands of years we had been admitted to the club.
Think of where humanity would be today if over half the talent pool had been given full access to civilization. The difference it would have made in science alone is mind boggling.
:yeah:
:like: :like: And the arts and the raising of children and........


“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

User avatar
Sterngard Friegen
Posts: 41191
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:32 am
Location: Trump International - Malibu

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#313

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:27 am

RVInit wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:41 am
Suranis wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:06 am
Plus the fact is that people who have worked with Franken have been near unanimous in their support for him.
I also agree. The Franken allegations reek of political hit job. Leeann Tweeden - for chrissakes she appeared on Sean Hannity show how many times? Franken himself asked for a thorough ethics investigation, and I have a feeling it's because he knows how it will come out. Taking Tweeden out of the equation you are left with a second accuser whose social media smacks of having been severely cleaned out, but only since Trump ran for office. We can't start demanding that every man or woman who is accused of grabbing someone's butt during a photo must step down from office. Nobody can possibly defend themselves against such an accusation. We are talking about two people here both of whom seem to have political motive. Franken is the only case that I do not believe at this point. I believe all the others, including Conyers and others made against liberals. I do not have this opinion because Franken is a liberal. I have this opinion because the accusers have demonstrable political affiliation and nothing else has come out, including women who have worked for him for many years. If one of them comes out, I will change my mind.
:like:



User avatar
MN-Skeptic
Posts: 1687
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:36 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#314

Post by MN-Skeptic » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:56 am

It sure sounds like Franken could let one of his hands slip into a spot where it shouldn't have been while posing for photos, but EVERY one of those instances occurred with other people present. While highly inappropriate, there's a sea difference between that and getting a woman alone in order to sexually assault her.



User avatar
DejaMoo
Posts: 3263
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:19 pm
Occupation: Agent of ZOG

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#315

Post by DejaMoo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:49 pm

The Franken setup was politically motivated, and continues to be so. Proof? Three of Bill Clinton's accusers barged into Franken's office with a film crew to demand he resign. His staff had to call the cops to get them out of the office.

There's no doubt this is a coordinated attack.



User avatar
p0rtia
Posts: 1349
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:44 am

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#316

Post by p0rtia » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:25 pm

I believe them. The rest is a matter of degree and intent. As with much of life there is a grey area in there between oops and coping a feel (as we do quaintly used to say).


No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:

User avatar
DejaMoo
Posts: 3263
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:19 pm
Occupation: Agent of ZOG

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#317

Post by DejaMoo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:28 pm

This topic, naturally has been frequently discussed between friends and family members over the past couple of weeks. My friends, my sister and I talked about past incidents and complaints of harassment we've been aware of or involved in. It's not solely about sexual harassment, and it's not always male perps and female victims.

We agreed that sometimes people act like horse's asses because they're stupid, and thus didn't even think about the possibility that it might be hurtful. We agreed that sometimes horseplay gets out of hand, even if no complaints arise from it afterward. We agreed that sometimes people don't take offense at the time the incident occurred, but later decide it was offensive. We agreed that sometimes people misinterpret something and thus take offense, or simply over-react to something that is, if not harmless, fairly minor. We agreed that sometimes people have the impression that something is inappropriate (whether it is or not) and thus take offense, whether that reaction is appropriate or not. And we agreed that sometimes, people are repeatedly told by their peers that they should be offended, or were injured by something, when they insist they were not.

Finally, we agreed that society needs two things to keep these incidents to a minimum going forward:
1. Basic etiquette (common courtesy and consideration) needs to come back into vogue. We have to teach people how adults should behave and how they should treat others, because so many adults obviously don't know or don't care.

2. The cultural ingraining of "niceness" in girls and women has got to stop. It has to become socially acceptable for females to have a strong voice and express strong opinions - especially when it involves words like, "No" and "Stop". And when they do so, instead of denigrating them, we have to listen to them. It's called assertiveness. Feminists in the Seventies tried to teach it, then the Eighties brought the anti-feminist backlash, and we lost ground. Females of all ages have to become comfortable with saying, "Stop it", and everyone has to stop bristling when a female speaks her mind.



Dan1100
Posts: 1458
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:41 pm

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#318

Post by Dan1100 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:43 pm

I just saw Jim Nabors trending on Twitter and was relieved to see that he was dead and not accused of a sex crime.

Is that screwed up or what?


"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

User avatar
AndyinPA
Posts: 767
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh PA

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#319

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:02 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:28 pm

:snippity:

2. The cultural ingraining of "niceness" in girls and women has got to stop. It has to become socially acceptable for females to have a strong voice and express strong opinions - especially when it involves words like, "No" and "Stop". And when they do so, instead of denigrating them, we have to listen to them. It's called assertiveness. Feminists in the Seventies tried to teach it, then the Eighties brought the anti-feminist backlash, and we lost ground. Females of all ages have to become comfortable with saying, "Stop it", and everyone has to stop bristling when a female speaks her mind.
This, in particular, is of supreme importance. I have an eight-year-old granddaughter. She's a girlie girl, but her mom is tough as nails, so I'm hoping that makes a difference. My daughter doesn't take much from anybody.



User avatar
Lani
Posts: 2757
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:01 pm
Location: Some island in the Pacific

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#320

Post by Lani » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:24 pm

About the impact of Lauer and Rose and others on the fate of our nation.

Matt Lauer and the emails: How accused harassers conjured a fake Hillary scandal
Men accused of harassment and abuse shared a bizarre obsession with Clinton’s emails. This is not a coincidence
https://www.salon.com/2017/11/29/matt-l ... y-scandal/
"At this point in the campaign, Lauer’s obvious sexism is not simply a problem of unfairness in the treatment of the individual candidates; such performances have serious consequences for the fate of the nation," Adele Stan of the American Prospect argued at the time, noting that Lauer also spoke to Clinton condescendingly while letting Trump walk all over him.

It wasn't just Lauer, either. When one looks down the lengthening list of prominent male journalists who have been credibly accused of sexual harassment, one thing that sticks out is that they were all obsessed with those godforsaken emails. Charlie Rose, Glenn Thrush, Mark Halperin, Bill O'Reilly: Besides being apparent sleazeballs, they were all big fans of the idea that the thousands of Democratic emails, some released by Clinton herself and some stolen by presumed Russian agents and leaked on WikiLeaks, would somehow turn into an earth-shattering scandal. WikiLeaks is, of course, an operation run by Julian Assange, an accused rapist who spent the election leaking emails that somehow never had the shocking revelations he insinuated readers would find.

Rose went after Clinton on emails like a dog after a bone. O'Reilly seemed certain that all these emails would somehow prove Clinton was guilty of something. Halperin could barely wipe the drool off his face, so certain was he that emails would be the end of Clinton. Thrush spent years of his career making sure that the public believed that "Clinton emails" was a scandal, despite the fact that all that work produced no actual information of value.
:snippity:
Now we find out that many of these journalists who seemed convinced that Clinton had a deep, dark secret were likely harboring guilty secrets of their own. Their baseless campaign of persecution led, directly or otherwise, to the election of a man so full of deep, dark secrets that he's under federal investigation and still won't release his tax returns.


Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

TexasFilly
Posts: 17006
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#321

Post by TexasFilly » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:06 pm

Speaking of Mark Halperin, his partner-in-writing, John Heilemann was off the teevee for about a week after the Halperin scandal, but is now back. I've always liked him and he is a good writer. The scandal has likely resulted in a tremendous financial hit to Heilemann. But now I wonder if he knew about all of Halperin's disgusting behavior and just looked the other way.


I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

User avatar
Foggy
Posts: 24639
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:00 pm
Location: Fogbow HQ (Rawly NC)
Occupation: Dick Tater

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#322

Post by Foggy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:49 pm

I'm sincerely impressed by the decision to make members of Congress take training. Of course, they're going to be trained on improved techniques of sexual harassment, how to get away with it, and how to lie to the press and public about it. This is the expert stuff, don't try it at home your job!


Karma is a bitch." - Jomas Thefferson

User avatar
Orlylicious
Posts: 6488
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:02 pm

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#323

Post by Orlylicious » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:34 pm

Oh wow, Bette Midler on Geraldo!



From of all things Gateway Pundit (where their WH reporter got arrested for assault at UCONN earlier this week)
Is Geraldo Next to Go Down in Flames? Bette Midler Blasts Geraldo For Groping Her Breasts (VIDEO)
by Cristina Laila

Is Geraldo Rivera next to go down in flames in a sexual harassment death spiral? Geraldo got blasted yesterday after he defended pervert Matt Lauer who was fired from NBC for alleged sexual misconduct. Bette Midler unleashed on Rivera on Thursday and said he still hasn’t apologized to her for groping her. Rivera has since apologized for defending Lauer.

Bette Midler blasted Geraldo Rivera by tweeting, “Tomorrow is my birthday. I feel like this video was a gift from the universe to me. Geraldo may have apologized for his tweets supporting Matt Lauer, but he has yet to apologize for this. #MeToo” Below is a clip from a 1991 interview Bette Midler did with Barbara Walters where she told Walters Geraldo groped her in the 70’s. Midler explains that she was manhandled by Geraldo and his producer:

“He and his producer left the crew in the other room, they pushed me into my bathroom, they broke two poppers and pushed them under my nose and proceeded to grope me. Groped me. I did not offer myself up on the altar of Geraldo Rivera! He was he was unseemly.”
Tomorrow is my birthday. I feel like this video was a gift from the universe to me. Geraldo may have apologized for his tweets supporting Matt Lauer, but he has yet to apologize for this. #MeToo pic.twitter.com/TkcolFWfA2
— Bette Midler (@BetteMidler) November 30, 2017
Rivera previously acknowledged the encounter with Midler. Deadline reported:
Rivera acknowledged the encounter back in 1991, when the seriousness (or lack thereof) given to the subject of sexual harassment can be glimpsed in the title of Rivera’s memoir: Exposing Myself. In it, Rivera wrote about Midler, “We were in the bathroom, preparing for the interview, and at some point I put my hands on her breasts.”

Interesting timing as TGP’s Cristina Laila just tweeted Wednesday night, “Geraldo defended Matt Lauer today. Who else thinks a tsunami of women are about to come forward and accuse him of sexual harassment?”
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/11 ... sts-video/


From Michael Moore: RESISTANCE CALENDAR! A one-stop site for all anti-Trump actions EVERY DAY nationwide: http://resistancecalendar.org

User avatar
Volkonski
Posts: 13690
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:44 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast and North Fork of Long Island
Occupation: Retired Mechanical Engineer

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#324

Post by Volkonski » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:24 pm



This raises an issue that has bedeviled the arts for a long time. Do you not perform an artist's work because the artist was not a nice (however you define "nice') person? Should we not perform Wagner's operas because he was an anti-Semite? Should Tchaikovsky's works not be performed because he was homosexual?

During WW I British orchestras refused to perform works by German and Austrian composers. However during WW II Beethoven's 5th Symphony was adopted by the British as their anthem because the first four notes were the Morse Code for "V" as in "V for Victory". Also, it was possible to think that Austria was then a victim of German aggression even though many Austrians were amongst the worst persecutors of the Jews.


Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

User avatar
RTH10260
Posts: 13269
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Near the Swiss Alps

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#325

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:17 pm

Pelosi: Nevada congressman should resign following sexual harassment accusations
By JOHN PARKINSON DAVID CAPLAN Dec 2, 2017, 12:40 AM ET

Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi has joined the chairman of the House Democrats' campaign committee in calling on a first-term Democratic Nevada congressman to resign, following a report that he sexually harassed an aide during his 2016 congressional campaign.

In an article published by BuzzFeed Friday afternoon, Rep. Ruben Kihuen was accused of making repeated sexual advances toward his then-campaign finance director by a woman identified as "Samantha." BuzzFeed said it is withholding her surname at her request. Samantha alleges that Kihuen propositioned her for dates and sex, and twice touched her thighs without consent.

Samantha said she did not feel comfortable telling the campaign's leadership about the alleged harassment, so she quit.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/democrat ... d=51525383



Post Reply

Return to “Current Events”