Post by Volkonski » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:30 pm

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

DejaMoo

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:32 pm

Garrison Keillor fired by MPR: 'I put my hand on a woman's bare back,' he says
:snippity:
In an email to the Star Tribune Wednesday, Keillor said, “I put my hand on a woman’s bare back. I meant to pat her back after she told me about her unhappiness and her shirt was open and my hand went up it about six inches. She recoiled. I apologized. I sent her an email of apology later and she replied that she had forgiven me and not to think about it. We were friends. We continued to be friendly right up until her lawyer called.”

Keillor even managed a joke of sorts: “Getting fired is a real distinction in broadcasting and I’ve waited fifty years for the honor. All of my heroes got fired. I only wish it could’ve been for something more heroic.”

Then he turned more serious: “Anyone who ever was around my show can tell you that I was the least physically affectionate person in the building. Actors hug, musicians hug, people were embracing every Saturday night left and right, and I stood off in the corner like a stone statue.

If I had a dollar for every woman who asked to take a selfie with me and who slipped an arm around me and let it drift down below the beltline, I’d have at least a hundred dollars. So this is poetic irony of a high order. But I’m just fine. I had a good long run and am grateful for it and for everything else.”
:o :o :o

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:00 pm

It's about time is right! :thumbs:

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:08 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:44 pm
What is interesting to me in the Lauer and Keillor cases is that action is based on one complainant. It no longer takes a tsunami to overcome the prejudice against the woman.
It's only a single complainant that we are aware of. I'm willing to bet, especially in Lauer's case, that there were numerous complaints prior to this one. The firing companies are not about to list all the prior complaints that they ignored. It only reflects poorly on them.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:12 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:08 pm
What is interesting to me in the Lauer and Keillor cases is that action is based on one complainant. It no longer takes a tsunami to overcome the prejudice against the woman.
It's only a single complainant that we are aware of. I'm willing to bet, especially in Lauer's case, that there were numerous complaints prior to this one. The firing companies are not about to list all the prior complaints that they ignored. It only reflects poorly on them.
Good point. I read there were other victims of Lauer as usually occur in harassment cases.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:15 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:08 pm
:like:

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:20 pm

Brian Stelter at CNN reported that the NYT and Variety were working on a Lauer investigation (parallel) for a few months now. And NBC was apparently aware of at least the NYT investigation. So, NBC could have acted much sooner. I think that these investigations involve more and different women than the one who met with NBC on Monday.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:39 pm

Youtube poster wrote: In this clip, Pat Robertson voices his concern that the careers of "terrific people" are being ruined by false allegations of sexual misconduct.
and
LL poster wrote:Televangelist Pat Robertson worries men accused of sexual harassment are the real victims

Pat Robertson on Wednesday worried that sexual harassment allegations would derail the careers of “terrific” men in the media.

“Now it’s looked on as shocking but, folks, it’s been happening a long time and nobody said anything about it,” he said, in a video highlighted by Right Wing Watch.

“Now they’re finally wising up, but I just hate to see some of these men’s careers—I mean, guys like Charlie Rose, these are terrific people and I hate to see it happen.”

Robertson also complained that the spate of men who have been accused of sexually harassing and abusing their female colleagues haven’t faced a trial.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:47 pm

Allegations against Pat Robertson in 3, 2, 1 . . .

Oh, who am I kidding? Like every other overblown TV evangelical, he'll just "repent" and his followers will forgive him.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:59 pm

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:41 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:59 pm
Here's what Variety just posted: http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/matt-l ... 202625959/
On another day, he [Matt Lauer] summoned a different female employee to his office, and then dropped his pants, showing her his penis.
Scum. Protected by his producers. Known to be a predator by at least one of his female co-hosts.

These predators need help to keep doing it.

No more!

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:54 pm

On another day, he [Matt Lauer] summoned a different female employee to his office, and then dropped his pants, showing her his penis.
Ah, yes. The old "surprise, it's my dong" strategy. Another demonstration of the old maxim that "everything in life is about sex, except sex; sex is about power." The intent here is to demean and humiliate.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:58 pm

If I did that I'd be humiliated.

Believe me.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:00 pm

Re: Matt Lauer - wow, just wow. That is grotesque behavior and just beyond the pale.

By the way, don't read any comments on the Variety website story, they will sicken most of the boogle I'm sure. Pretty much all about it being the women's fault. Almost. Every. Comment. I'm in need of eye bleach right now.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:05 pm

RVInit wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:00 pm
By the way, don't read any comments on the Variety website story, they will sicken most of the boogle I'm sure. Pretty much all about it being the women's fault. Almost. Every. Comment. I'm in need of eye bleach right now.
"Don't read the comments" is generally good advice at all times and places, I find.

And clearly the women made Lauer show them his penis. :sarcasm:

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:41 pm

I dunno about you, but I do it to women efery day. Its because of my desperate need to spread my seed.

"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:02 pm

Suranis wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:41 pm
I dunno about you, but I do it to women efery day. Its because of my desperate need to spread my seed.
How’s that working out for you?

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:09 pm

Seriously, guys, the penis is just about the least attractive part of you. I've long maintained that if everyone had to walk around makes, we'd all stop having sex, because the naked human body is generally less attractive than the clothed human body. But this goes doubly so for that dangly bit between your legs. The way to get a girl to sleep with you is not to wave it about. That's the way to get a girl to laugh at/be disgusted/think less of you. It's a penis. Big deal. Half of all humanity has one, and none of them are terribly pretty.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:24 pm

:rotflmao:

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:16 pm

The Matt Lauer story maybe puts this in a whole new light. Watch how she interacts with everyone here, pretty telling. Also, I love how she listed one after another of her accomplishments. This happened right after Lauer renewed a contract.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:31 pm

I'm not normally a legal expert, but I'm close in this instance since I've been involved with firing employees based on sexual harassment claims and then working with legal on the follow-up EEOC responses.

An employer has vicarious liability in the case of sexual harassment, unless certain conditions are met (see Faragher v. Boca Raton and Burlington v. Ellerth). Broadly, an employer must have a policy against harassment; provide training on properly avoiding harassment; provide a mechanism for employees to report harassment; and act swiftly, appropriately, and credibly in response to such a report of harassment. Satisfying these conditions greatly increases the chance that an employer will win an EEOC or federal legal case brought by the complainant.

From what I have read, Comcast/NBC-U received a complaint about Lauer on Monday. First thing Wednesday morning he was fired. That's about the timeline for a slam-dunk sexual harassment/conduct case in the HR world in my professional BigCorp experience. In my opinion, Monday's complaint was in reference to something that happened at the Macy's parade or over the long weekend, and it was so unambiguous as to lead to a very swift (by HR/Legal standards) outcome.

That doesn't really surprise me. What does surprise me a bit is that it was all made so public so quickly. Just a couple of years ago, star talent would be given the fig leaf of "on assignment" or "on vacation" status, then quietly separated from the company "in order to pursue other interests" or "by mutual agreement with management." That Lauer was not offered such a fig leaf suggests to me that (a) Comcast/NBC-U is in tune with public sentiment and (b) the internal investigation found that Lauer's probable behavior was so egregious that such a fig leaf was too generous.

Also, too, Comcast must fear that because of public sentiment, a multi-million dollar lawsuit is inevitable so it is in Comcast's (and Comcast's insurer's) interest to be aggressive in mounting its Faragher/Ellerth defense.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:42 pm

I don't think in the current atmosphere they could get away with hiding it away or sending him "on assignment" for a while.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:05 pm

This may go against the grain, but I'm not convinced about either Franken or Keillor. Sorry.

Lauer (whom I've never seen) sounds like a mess, though.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:24 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:05 pm
This may go against the grain, but I'm not convinced about either Franken or Keillor. Sorry.

Lauer (whom I've never seen) sounds like a mess, though.
It is a difference in degree. There has been a tendency to flatten things out and not differentiate severity.

Franken and Keillor are at worst accused of low grade misdemeanors that in real life would have gotten a first offender an amendment to the lowest grade of assault and bench probation, if that.

Lauer would get charged with a sex offense (indecent exposure, soliciting prostitution, and maybe rape by coersion) and it looks like we haven't heard the worst of it. Weinstein multiple serious sex offense felonies and ought to be locked up more or less forever.

Whatever ought to happen to each of them (and I think Franken ought to resign for the good of the party), comparing Franken to Weinstein is comparing apples and multiple rapist oranges.

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:08 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:39 pm
Youtube poster wrote: In this clip, Pat Robertson voices his concern that the careers of "terrific people" are being ruined by false allegations of sexual misconduct.
and
LL poster wrote:Televangelist Pat Robertson worries men accused of sexual harassment are the real victims

Pat Robertson on Wednesday worried that sexual harassment allegations would derail the careers of “terrific” men in the media.

“Now it’s looked on as shocking but, folks, it’s been happening a long time and nobody said anything about it,” he said, in a video highlighted by Right Wing Watch.

“Now they’re finally wising up, but I just hate to see some of these men’s careers—I mean, guys like Charlie Rose, these are terrific people and I hate to see it happen.”

Robertson also complained that the spate of men who have been accused of sexually harassing and abusing their female colleagues haven’t faced a trial.
Ooo, that really burns me up. :boxing: :explode:

What about the careers of the terrific WOMEN that never happened or were cut short because they wouldn’t “go along” with these and other powerful men? Or the ones traumatized at a young age? Or the rest who were made to feel powerless and literally worth-less and cowed into turning a blind eye?

“It’s been happening a long time and nobody said anything about it,” REALLY? That’s your excuse? Clueless asshole. :torches:
Edit: Treat men and women like the valued professionals they are, not as commodities you could use to stroke your egos or whatever. And for gods’s sake keep your pants on, your hands to yourself, and your power fantasies in your damned head.

Can you tell I’m livid?

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Return to “Current Events”