The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:43 pm

Media Matters retweeted this.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:59 pm

Looks like Don Henley is going to be one of the next ones to be accused. Anyone who follows/ed The Eagles has heard the rumors about him over the years.

http://www.crazydaysandnights.net/2017/ ... m.html?m=1
:snippity: Since he split from the band, his new solo career was taking off. He turned HIS "hurt feelings" into a song, which became a global hit. Sure, he said it was about the media coverage of #7 and others, but he later admitted it was about his "unfair" abuse at the hands of a "mean" reporter A song that was spawned by his abuse, rape, and drugging of two children who nearly died due to his perversions.

The Rocker spent much of the next 20 years rehabilitating his image, becoming a big political supporter and environmental activist. Became big pals with two big politicians, #8 and #9 whom he met at events at #3's house. He played fundraisers for them both. He never was asked again in the media about that November, and it faded away mostly. Funny enough? You can still find it online, and yet nobody compares him to Polanski or these other monsters. Meanwhile, he became filthy rich, as did his powerful manager, and the powerful record label executive. Their images all bought and paid for.

What they didn't know, however, and still don't know – is what became of the other girl. That 15 year-old runaway, who took the bus ticket, cash, and blew town. She too turned her life around, got straight, and found good people up in northern California to take her in. She went to college, found a nice man, had a family and settled down. That nice man she married would go on to a nice career in politics. And with his wife's support, he's become one of the most powerful men in California politics. Now, all the years later, that scared runaway girl has grown into a confident, fearless, brilliant woman. She's spent the past few years (urged on by her husband and kids) putting her story and the case meticulously back together. Piece by piece. Legally.

In 2018 she's going to drop a bomb of a "reveal" on the Rocker, the Manager, and the ex-label executive. She's prepared a criminal charge against them for many of their misdeeds (which include racketeering and collusion and criminal conspiracy), and is also hitting them with civil charges – with any funds being set aside for childhood victims. Because, you see, those Polaroids she swiped that night? She blew town with them. Years later she found them and put them in a safe deposit box. She now has many copies, including in her attorney's safe. They too will be revealed in her case, along with hospital records, court records, legal affidavits from old cops and Paramedics. There's even a video deposition from the original Madam back from before her death. And the former golden boy detective? He was later caught for his many, many misdeeds and arrested. And he talked too.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:43 am

The Atlantic: Bill Clinton: A Reckoning

Feminists saved the 42nd president of the United States in the 1990s. They were on the wrong side of history; is it finally time to make things right?
Adding:
New York Times OpEd: I Believe Juanita

¡Qué vergüenza!

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:27 am

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:25 pm

:o

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:29 pm

Another one bites the dust. It's interesting to see the Jekyll/Hyde effect on display. That could also be written as the Jekyll/Hyde affect.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:30 pm

And today's winner is...Matt Lauer!

Which, given some of his creepy interviews over the years, doesn't really surprise me.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:36 pm

fierceredpanda wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:30 pm
And today's winner is...Matt Lauer!

Which, given some of his creepy interviews over the years, doesn't really surprise me.
His questioning of Hillary during the "debate" is being viewed in light of his termination. Lots of tweets confirming female reporters' claims of misogyny. Thank dog Hillary is a strong woman.

Sterngard Friegen

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:39 pm

I am changing the title of this thread to keep up with breaking news.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:42 pm

:thumbs:
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:39 pm
I am changing the title of this thread to keep up with breaking news.
At least corporate America has the guts to fire these guys. That is one bright spot in this bleak week. I don't care if the motive is financial. The motive was financial when they chose the guys over the victimized females.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:43 pm

So far no women outed as sexual harassers. Are they all so well behaved???

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:16 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:43 pm
Women do not have millennia of patriarchy supporting such actions nor a biological imperative to spread their seed as widely as possible. There are also far fewer instances where women have power over men so there will naturally be far fewer instances of them abusing that power. Also, there is a vast difference in how society sees a man receiving unwanted sexual attention versus a woman. None of that suggests women are better "behaved" than men, just that the cases aren't really comparable.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:18 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:16 pm
Fortinbras wrote:
Women do not have millennia of patriarchy supporting such actions nor a biological imperative to spread their seed as widely as possible. There are also far fewer instances where women have power over men so there will naturally be far fewer instances of them abusing that power. Also, there is a vast difference in how society sees a man receiving unwanted sexual attention versus a woman. None of that suggests women are better "behaved" than men, just that the cases aren't really comparable.
Well said!

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:24 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:18 pm
Slartibartfast wrote:
Fortinbras wrote:
Well said!
:thumbs:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:28 pm

Another one.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/g ... llor-fired
Garrison Keillor, the former host of the wildly popular public radio program “A Prarie Home Companion,” was axed Wednesday by Minnesota Public Radio over allegations of improper behavior.

MPR confirmed in a press release that it is terminating its contracts with Keillor and his media companies “after recently learning of allegations of his inappropriate behavior with an individual who worked with him.”

The Associated Press said Keillor had told them of his firing in an email, and followed up by saying he was fired over “a story that I think is more interesting and more complicated than the version MPR heard.”
This stuff is wearing me out.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:36 pm

Power corrupts. There appear to be a lot of people who can't handle it and remain normal human beings.

Sad.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:43 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:

Women do not have millennia of patriarchy supporting such actions nor a biological imperative to spread their seed as widely as possible.
This isn't about sex; it's about power and dominance. Sex is commonly used as a means to dominate and humiliate another person, but the motivation is dominance, not sex.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:44 pm

What is interesting to me in the Lauer and Keillor cases is that action is based on one complainant. It no longer takes a tsunami to overcome the prejudice against the woman.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:46 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:43 pm
Slartibartfast wrote:

Women do not have millennia of patriarchy supporting such actions nor a biological imperative to spread their seed as widely as possible.
This isn't about sex; it's about power and dominance. Sex is commonly used as a means to dominate and humiliate another person, but the motivation is dominance, not sex.
In some cases it is about sex. Spacey's case and Weinstein's for instance are quite possibly about sexual addicts in powerful positions. I think most cases are about power and control.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:00 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:28 pm
Another one.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/g ... llor-fired
MPR confirmed in a press release that it is terminating its contracts with Keillor and his media companies “after recently learning of allegations of his inappropriate behavior with an individual who worked with him.”
Well...on the one hand, folks who live here and have known about him for decades know the radio persona is quite different from the actual man. He raised holy hell when the local paper announced his purchase of a house, and said that was one of the reasons he moved overseas for a few years. That was also when he abruptly dumped his long-time significant other for another woman he'd recently met, whom he married and moved overseas with. A very hurtful and inconsiderate move on his part, especially since the dumped ex was his show's producer.

On the other hand, he's in his seventies, and he's had a stroke and a seizure during the past few years. As we know, as people age they often begin to lose some of their social inhibitions. A stroke and seizure could exacerbate the personality changes that come with aging.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:05 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:46 pm
DejaMoo wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:

In some cases it is about sex. Spacey's case and Weinstein's for instance are quite possibly about sexual addicts in powerful positions. I think most cases are about power and control.
Except that, as insanely wealthy and famous persons, they could get more willing sexual partners than they could ever handle, not to mention having the means to hire as many partners as they wished. But it wasn't about willing sex. It was about forcing people to do things they really didn't want to do. The sex was secondary to the power, the control, and the humiliation of their unwilling victims.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:16 pm

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:26 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:

This. It's an excuse, isn't it? It's sort of like saying it's hard for men to not bash in the heads of people they don't like because, testosterone. I mean, that's insulting to men, isn't it? It's hard for all of us to do the right thing.

This is a societal problem. Society has accepted the idea that it's okay sometimes to treat women like shit or like toys, and that the women should just shut about it. People who hold or who have risen to positions of power, even little tiny pockets of power, discover that they can be abusive to some people (including most women), and that society will either egg them on or wink or believe them when they say it's not true. People who are sexual predators or just cruel monsters also use the normalization of sexual predation to get away with even more horrible shit.

BTW, anybody who wants to come out here and talk about the shit that they've done that they now regret would be welcome, at least by me. Because there's no way none of us hasn't crossed a line at some point.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:30 pm

:yeah:

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:00 pm

It's all about power and being able to get away with it. What has always struck me is how similar many of these incidents are. Weinstein's is pretty much out and out rape and Moore is attempted rape. But as to many of the others it's exposing one's self or physically assaulting a woman, apparently with the idea/hope/expectation that the woman would -- what? Accept the advances? Be humiliated by them? Probably a little bit of both.

As for Weinstein and Moore -- and I'm sure a lot of others we haven't heard about yet -- there was a lot of "grooming." So there was the desire of sexual gratification combined with the predatory assertion of power.

This is a phenomenon that is probably as old as pederasty, which has been a prevalent human condition for thousands of years. That it is perpetrated by men who are in powerful positions and adulated for that power, makes the phenomenon all the more disturbing.

But it has to stop. And it appears society is doing something about it. Finally.

It's about time.

Return to “Current Events”