The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

Foggy

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

Post by Foggy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:52 am

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:41 pm

Great article, Foggy, for those who bake (or did once like moi).

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Lunaluz
Occupation: Bean Counter for Boeing Commercial. You break it I find a way to fix it.

Post by Lunaluz » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:48 pm

Steven Segal.. what a fucking POS

:snippity: Regina Simons says she was 18 and an extra on Steven Seagal's 1994 film "On Deadly Ground" when he invited her to a wrap party at his Beverly Hills home. But when she arrived, she said, he was the only one there. :snippity:

:snippity: Simons is one of more than a dozen women who have accused Seagal of sexual misconduct, but she appears to be the first to publicly accuse him of rape. She and another woman, Dutch former model Faviola Dadis, told TheWrap they filed reports about Seagal with the LAPD in the last month. Dadis said he groped her during an audition in 2002. :snippity:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebr ... li=BBnbfcL

I hope that fat fuck gets his. (pardon my french)

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:18 pm

Douglas's wife is a talentless bitch, with literally 2 facial expressions in her "acting." I've hated her since her start on British TV where she radiated "stuck up cow."

He is pretty good, however, and I've generally enjoyed his work. Dropping something like that on him after 32 years just stretches credibility.

Oh yeah, and Seagal can go spin on a dick.

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:24 pm

Based on what I've heard of his general personality and ego, I don't find this as unexpected.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:29 pm

Suranis wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:18 pm
Douglas's wife is a talentless bitch, with literally 2 facial expressions in her "acting." I've hated her since her start on British TV where she radiated "stuck up cow."

He is pretty good, however, and I've generally enjoyed his work. Dropping something like that on him after 32 years just stretches credibility.

You agree with my ex-wife you knew her. (Although her langwitch was not quite so colourful.)

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:54 pm

Foggy wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:52 am
I made the pizza cinnamon rolls from Mario Batali's sexual misconduct apology letter.

Laugh, cry, get ANGRY. Or get hungry, mebbe. :boxing:
That is fucking brilliant.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:10 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:24 pm
Based on what I've heard of his general personality and ego, I don't find this as unexpected.
Which one, Segal or Douglas?

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:11 pm

Suranis wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:18 pm

I can believe it of Michael Douglas, because for many years he did seem to present himself as thinking he was God's gift to women. But given that it was 30-odd years ago, when sexual politics were much, much different, I'm also inclined to believe that it was something that Douglas thought was okay, that he misread or misconstrued a situation and didn't realise that he'd acted in a way that made someone else uncomfortable. In other words, not rape, but a sort of sleazy pick-up attempt that was not welcome or appreciated.

I can believe it about Craig McLachlan because he has presented himself as having the same sort of God's gift to women attitude. I think when people are held up as sex symbols (as McLachlan was earlier in his career, and as Douglas has been for the bulk of his career), it's quite easy to get carried away with that and just believe that everyone welcomes your advances.

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:05 am

Ex-Idaho lawmaker kills himself amid sex abuse investigation

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/01/12/us/i ... ssion=true
(CNN) A former Idaho state representative who resigned last fall amid sexual abuse accusations has killed himself, officials said.

Former Republican state Rep. Brandon Hixon, 36, died Tuesday of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, Canyon County Coroner Vicki DeGeus-Morris told CNN.

Hixon's death follows the December death of Kentucky state Rep. Dan Johnson, also a Republican, who had been accused of sexually assaulting a teenage girl in 2013. Johnson died a day after denying the allegations, and the Bullitt County, Kentucky, coroner ruled the death a suicide.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:16 pm

Do I have to turn in my feminist card if I have a hard time classifying what happened between "Grace" and Aziz Ansari as sexual assault?

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:24 pm

maydijo wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:16 pm
Do I have to turn in my feminist card if I have a hard time classifying what happened between "Grace" and Aziz Ansari as sexual assault?
Well, she DID want white wine, not red. So there you go.

-- Sen. King (R-ME)

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:27 am

Yeah, maybe it was just crappy writing, but it seemed like she was almost as angry about the wine as about giving Aziz a blow job she wasn't really into. She had a bad experience. He acted like a dick. He should've stopped (although it does sound like there were mixed signals there, since she kept going) and she should've left. It's unfortunate, but I don't think it rises to the level of assault.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:01 am

maydijo wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:27 am
Yeah, maybe it was just crappy writing, but it seemed like she was almost as angry about the wine as about giving Aziz a blow job she wasn't really into. She had a bad experience. He acted like a dick. He should've stopped (although it does sound like there were mixed signals there, since she kept going) and she should've left. It's unfortunate, but I don't think it rises to the level of assault.
Well, yeah. But: she's in her early twenties, he's in his middle thirties. He's got a lot more experience in these situations than she does.

My impression is she got caught in the socially-ingrained "nice girl" trap, where she found herself unable to clearly articulate her wishes. From her own account, she felt uncomfortable about saying No, and uncomfortable about saying Yes.

Since she found herself unable or unwilling to express a clear refusal, he didn't read it as that, but more as indications of hesitancy and indecisiveness. But - at that point, he should've read it as a flag: she was not giving enthusiastic consent. He should've then backed off and asked her, "How do you feel about this? Am I coming on too strong?" At that point, one simple assertive statement by her ("I don't want to go any further with this tonight") would've made it clear to both how the situation had changed. If she refused to clarify what she wanted, it would've been completely on her if it didn't work out the way she wanted. Conversely, if she made it clear that further intimacy was no longer desired and he'd continued to press unwanted attention on her, he would've been unambiguously in the wrong.

I'll say it again: we need to break the cultural habit of bringing up girls to be people pleasers, and we need to teach everyone how to be comfortable with saying No, and also with hearing No.

ETA: We also need to break the cultural tradition of women being the gatekeepers of sexual activity. Both parties (all parties, it's the 21st century) actually share the responsibility for this. It's not just on one person to say No, it's also on the other(s) to make sure they've heard a clear (enthusiastic) Yes.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:33 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:01 am
maydijo wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:27 am
:snippity:
My impression is she got caught in the socially-ingrained "nice girl" trap, where she found herself unable to clearly articulate her wishes. From her own account, she felt uncomfortable about saying No, and uncomfortable about saying Yes.

Since she found herself unable or unwilling to express a clear refusal, he didn't read it as that, but more as indications of hesitancy and indecisiveness. But - at that point, he should've read it as a flag: she was not giving enthusiastic consent. He should've then backed off and asked her, "How do you feel about this? Am I coming on too strong?" At that point, one simple assertive statement by her ("I don't want to go any further with this tonight") would've made it clear to both how the situation had changed. If she refused to clarify what she wanted, it would've been completely on her if it didn't work out the way she wanted. Conversely, if she made it clear that further intimacy was no longer desired and he'd continued to press unwanted attention on her, he would've been unambiguously in the wrong.

I'll say it again: we need to break the cultural habit of bringing up girls to be people pleasers, and we need to teach everyone how to be comfortable with saying No, and also with hearing No.

ETA: We also need to break the cultural tradition of women being the gatekeepers of sexual activity. Both parties (all parties, it's the 21st century) actually share the responsibility for this. It's not just on one person to say No, it's also on the other(s) to make sure they've heard a clear (enthusiastic) Yes.
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:35 pm

In regards to Seagal, what ever happened you the accusations that he kept sex slaves?

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:44 pm

With that Aziz thing, I think its more that we have to teach people to communicate. No Game playing, no "signals", just come out and say it. I'm sorry, but people who are sexually aroused cant be expected to become Sherlock freaking homes when someone is saying "No" through the medium of Interpretive Dance, or maybe Semaphore.

And that's the thing. People are arguing he should have picked up "signals," and she should have "signaled" no better. Says who? In my book if you like something say it, and if not say it. I dont know if its romantic novels, but people's expectations of communication are fucked up. Guys are not mind readers. And the thing is, when she finally did actually say "No" he stopped immediately, and offered to drive her home. Uh, this is on the level of Harvey now? For not picking up signals?

Stop the game playing, people. Talk. Communicate.

Ok, I'm an evil male. Maybe a woman could talk about it better.

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:45 pm

Kenneth P. Vogel

@kenvogel
NEW: @RepMeehan, who has positioned himself as a leader in fighting sexual misconduct, used taxpayer $ to settle a sexual harassment complaint brought by an aide. Meehan allegedly professed romantic desires, then become hostile when she didn't reciprocate. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/20/us/p ... sment.html

12:48 PM - Jan 20, 2018

Kenneth P. Vogel

@kenvogel
Representatives for @RepMeehan suggested to the accuser that she misinterpreted the congressman’s advances, & that his side could use unlimited taxpayer $ to drag out case if she didn’t settle. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/20/us/p ... sment.html

1:06 PM - Jan 20, 2018

Return to “Current Events”