The Fake Republic of Texas

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:55 pm

As of Monday, Tom O'Halloran still doesn't have his phone back:

Heidi Hansing ‏@HeidiForTexas Feb 23

@WeAreTexians Your voicemail is full and we need to get your story out. Contact me for an interview ASAP heidi@ragingelephantsradio.com

Sir Tom O'Halloran ‏@Sir_TPOHisself

@HeidiForTexas my voice mail is full because the FBI still has my damn phone... my email is tpo@tpo.net

0 replies 0 retweets 0 favorites

8:58 AM - 23 Feb 2015

Sir Tom O'Halloran ‏@Sir_TPOHisself Feb 23

@HeidiForTexas please email me a contact number that I can have 1 of our PA guys call, ok? I've been waiting well over an hour to help you.

=======================

Feds raid Texas secessionist meeting

Dylan Baddour, Houston Chronicle | February 23, 2015 | Updated: February 23, 2015 6:02pm

Still, he and Wilson said their group would not resort to violence, but is working through world courts to get international recognition of an independent Texas. They said their methods are legal, but Sheriff Hierholzer contests that.

"We've had a lot of dealings with Republic of Texas members in the past here, too, flooding the court with simulated documents," he said. "I don't have any problem with them going back to the Republic of Texas but they need to do it through the proper legal channels."

No arrests were made in the raid, but the case is still under investigation, Hierholzer said. The FBI and Texas Rangers would not comment.

Jarnecke acknowledged that legislation and court summons issues by the Republic have no real effect, but said the group was close to taking their case to an international court—they haven't yet selected which. He hopes that will be the first step in rallying for Texas independence.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas ... 096637.php

Texas secessionists can’t understand why cops raided their revolution-plotting party

Travis Gettys25 Feb 2015 at 14:32 ET

The judge and banker had been involved in the foreclosure of Republic member Susan Cammak, who signed the phony court summon along with David Kroupa, a Republic of Texas judge.

“You can’t just let people go around filing false documents to judges trying to make them appear in front of courts that aren’t even real courts,” said Kerr County Sheriff Rusty Hierholzer, who organized the raid.

The officers served a misdemeanor search warrant over his concerns that group members could become violent, citing a 1997 standoff between a Republic of Texas member and about 300 state troopers.

Investigators searched and fingerprinted about 60 people at the Feb. 14 morning meeting and then seized all their cell phones and recording equipment, along with gold, silver, and thousands of dollars in cash.

The group’s president admits Republic of Texas members are plotting to secede from the United States, but he denies any involvement with armed plots or violent extremists.

“We’ve had years of bad press, but we’re not those people,” Jarnecke said. “But yes, we are still making every attempt to get independence for Texas and we’re doing it in a lawful international manner.”

The warrant authorized investigators to seize all computers, media storage, software, cell phones, and paper documents – which the sheriff said would be examined to determine whether other group members conspired to create and issue the phony court documents.

Group members present at the meeting were each searched and fingerprinted, but officers did not perform cheek-swab DNA tests as the warrant permitted.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/02/texa ... ing-party/

A few more articles, but they all rely on same sources.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:24 pm

The officers served a[hlyellow] misdemeanor search warrant [/hlyellow]over his concerns that group members could become violent, citing a 1997 standoff between a Republic of Texas member and about 300 state troopers.What is a misdemeanor search warrant? How does it differ from a felony search warrant?

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:46 pm

The officers served a[hlyellow] misdemeanor search warrant [/hlyellow]over his concerns that group members could become violent, citing a 1997 standoff between a Republic of Texas member and about 300 state troopers.

What is a misdemeanor search warrant? How does it differ from a felony search warrant?

If it's similar to a felony vs misdemeanor traffic stop, serving a felony search warrant probably allows LE to do things like kick in the door and start cuffing people at gunpoint. In the article in post #1, they describe armed agents blocking the door and telling people they couldn't leave, but didn't see any mention of guns drawn and aimed, or people cuffed.

Something I noticed in the TX statute for simulating a legal process- repeat offenders get bumped up to a felony, so if they charge someone who has done this before, they might get charged with a felony.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:03 pm

Hah, just ran across a guy who claims to be 4th great grandson of Davy Crockett.

He's a patriot Teabagger and HIS CAPS LOCK GETS STUCK A LOT.

https://twitter.com/JimSims11/

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

ducktape

Post by ducktape » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:28 pm

Hah, just ran across a guy who claims to be 4th great grandson of Davy Crockett.

He's a patriot Teabagger and HIS CAPS LOCK GETS STUCK A LOT.https://twitter.com/JimSims11/

Ask him about his 4th great-grandfather's experience fighting with Bill O'Reilly.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:40 pm

He's a patriot Teabagger and HIS CAPS LOCK GETS STUCK A LOT.https://twitter.com/JimSims11/

Oh yes, the I'm descended from someone famous so listen to me gambit. :lol: Big deal. In 1990, Davy Crockett had almost 180 descendants who attended a family reunion. There were probably many others who did not bother to attend. By now there could be thousands of living descendants.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 29,1852551

I am descended from John Alden and Priscilla Mullins (of Mayflower fame). So was almost everyone in Massachusetts where and when I was born. For 5 centuries those who came later have intermarried with JA-PM descendants who were already there. Unless you had just recently arrived in MA it was hard not to be descended from them. ;)

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

ducktape

Post by ducktape » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:14 pm

I have a few ancestors who did some things.

Many years ago, my ex-mother-in-law said "you must be very proud."

"Why?" I answered. "I had nothing to do with it."

In the last couple of years, I have discovered a great-great grandfather who, uh, did some things.

A cousin who I met during my researches asked, "so, should we be embarrassed?"

"Why?" I answered. "We had nothing to do with it."

(Which made her feel better because her grandfather did some things, too. But WTF? It wasn't her fault.)

gatsby

Post by gatsby » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:36 am

I have a few ancestors who did some things.

Many years ago, my ex-mother-in-law said "you must be very proud."

"Why?" I answered. "I had nothing to do with it."

In the last couple of years, I have discovered a great-great grandfather who, uh, did some things.

A cousin who I met during my researches asked, "so, should we be embarrassed?"

"Why?" I answered. "We had nothing to do with it."

(Which made her feel better because her grandfather did some things, too. But WTF? It wasn't her fault.)

Nathaniel Hawthorne apparently embraced his family's dark secrets -- and turned them into a great novel.

NYT from 1984: THE SCARLET LETTER WAS 'I'; HAWTHORNE'S SECRET An Un-Told Tale. By Philip Young.

Impressed with such evidences of self-withholding, Philip Young, who teached American literature at Pennsylvania State University, has decided that Hawthorne was the bearer of a guilty secret, and he thinks he has learned what that secret was. It was in part a family secret: Hawthorne's paternal ancestors were prominent figures in such early New England crises as the Quaker persecution of 1656 and the Salem witchcraft trials. But Mr. Young informs us that his maternal ancestors were notable in their own way. Margaret and Anstice Manning, sisters of Hawthorne's great-great-grandfather, were convicted of 'incestuous carriage' with another brother, Nicholas, in 1681. Nicholas ran away, but the sisters were made to suffer a Hawthornesque punishment - to sit before the assembled town with their crime written upon them, in large capital letters.

Mr. Young's solid achievement in this slim volume is to have unearthed the original depositions from the Manning incest trial. These statements - one by the Manning servant who found brother and sister in bed while passing through the master's bedroom to get a drink in the night (domestic privacy, this book can remind us, is a fairly modern invention); another by the distraught mother of these too-loving children - make powerful reading, at whatever distance of time. Mr. Young is probably right to believe that Hawthorne had read these long-lost documents. But he also wants us to believe that they were linked, in Hawthorne's mind, to incest closer to home: 'Something Happened' (the silly phrase is Mr. Young's) between Hawthorne and his older sister Elizabeth. His mother's family secret would have fascinated him because it repeated his own. When he wrote about erotic transgressions punished with scarlet letters, then, he would have been telling his own dark story, through the disguising images of family history.

I read that book in the early 1990s and was in awe of what the author uncovered.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:30 am

No arrests were made in the raid, but the case is still under investigation, Hierholzer said. The FBI and Texas Rangers would not comment.

Jarnecke acknowledged that legislation and court summons issues by the Republic have no real effect, but said [highlight]the group was close to taking their case to an international court[/highlight]—they haven't yet selected which. He hopes that will be the first step in rallying for Texas independence.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas ... 096637.php

This should be worth watching. The jurisdictional requirements for international tribunals are far more exacting than the ones in play in our federal courts - and we've seen how well most of the loons navigate that.

I've become something of an international law geek over the past couple of years, and if anyone's interested I'm happy to provide a detailed explanation of the issues they'll need to work through. But the short version is this: the only way they will be able to get an international tribunal to take their "case" is if they get the United States to grant them specific permission to sue the United States for the purposes of determining if Texas is part of the United States.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:46 am

This should be worth watching. The jurisdictional requirements for international tribunals are far more exacting than the ones in play in our federal courts - and we've seen how well most of the loons navigate that. I've become something of an international law geek over the past couple of years, and if anyone's interested I'm happy to provide a detailed explanation of the issues they'll need to work through. But the short version is this: the only way they will be able to get an international tribunal to take their "case" is if they get the United States to grant them specific permission to sue the United States for the purposes of determining if Texas is part of the United States.I believe there is also a further requirement for litigation in international courts, eg that the case must first have run thru the respective national trial and appeal channels.Appart of this I am not aware of any court that handles a political issue like secession. This would be the domain of the UN, and let's listen to what these people think about the UN intervening in their cause.

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:46 am

Appart of this I am not aware of any court that handles a political issue like secession.

The one in Appomattox.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:55 am

Appart of this I am not aware of any court that handles a political issue like secession.

The one in Appomattox.

OK, I had to look that one up. So I guess our TX friends will feel quite at home there :lol:

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:14 pm

Is the US even a signatory to any of the international court treaties that would allow them being brought in to court on any issue? My recollection is that the US specifically declined to give any of the international courts authority over it or US citizens.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:44 pm

I bet the International Tribunal for Natural Justice would take their case.

topic/7692-international-tribunal-for-natural-justice/

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:08 pm

The LARPing secessionists got an article in the NYTimes today. I'm on my phone so all I can give you is the URL.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/10/us/se ... .html?_r=0

Enjoy...

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:27 pm

The LARPing secessionists got an article in the NYTimes today. I'm on my phone so all I can give you is the URL.http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/10/us/se ... .html?_r=0

Enjoy...

Well, that will go a long way to convincing the rest of the nation that Texans are crazy weirdos, not that Cruz, Farenthold and Gohmert need any help in that regard. ;)

gatsby

Post by gatsby » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:04 pm

Beat me to it, but I'll post excerpt anyhow.

Secede? ‘Republic’ Claims Texas Never Joined U.S.

By MANNY FERNANDEZ

MARCH 9, 2015

HOUSTON — The Republic of Texas is unlike any other volunteer, nonprofit organization in what used to be the Republic of Texas.

Its monthly meetings are called joint sessions of congress. Members have minted their own silver and gold currency and carry ID cards warning police officers they are diplomatic representatives of the nation of Texas. Its vice president, a retired telephone company worker, sent a letter in 2011 to the governor of Oklahoma, informing her that she faced indictment because her state’s counties and territories were “trespassing inside the geographical boundaries” of its nation.

Such letters have failed to convince the authorities of the group’s novel belief — that Texas never legally became part of the United States and remains a separate nation. As a result of that belief, the group claims it had a duty to form a government, with a state department and with a court system run in part by a chiropractor in the Houston suburb of Katy.

Members say their government is neither a mock system nor a prank, but a legitimate authority with executive, legislative and judicial branches. They spend their time sitting through eight-hour congressional meetings and debating legislation. (The letter to Oklahoma officials refers to Senate Bill No.1102-1201.) Still, officials who receive one of the group’s many letters typically “just throw it in the trash can,” acknowledged the Republic’s president, John Jarnecke, 72.

Gnarly Goat

Post by Gnarly Goat » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:39 pm

Nice touch how Jarnecke poses under his son's (?) USAFA graduation photo. I'm sure he was totally cool with Uncle Sam picking up that college tab.

"Don't waste time mourning. Organize." - Joe Hill

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:23 pm

Of course he's cool wit it - it was "Foreign Aid"

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Volkonski

Re: The Fake Republic of Texas

Post by Volkonski » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:48 am

Update-

Republic of Texas "Official" Is Back in Jail

http://www.sacurrent.com/the-daily/arch ... ck-in-jail#
For Cammack, a member the Republic of Texas, that meant taking her case to a suburban Houston chiropractor who also happened to serve as chief justice for the Republic’s so-called "international common law court." Then things took a strange turn: the Republic's "court" sent a batch of letters to the actual judge overseeing Cammack's foreclosure case in Kerr County. To the Republic, they were summonses for the judge appear in court with "proof of his authority for executing his claimed powers involving a foreign entity for the revenue collection of a private woman’s private funds without permission or lawful authority.” A lawyer working for the title company in Cammack's case also got a summons to appear before the self-declared sovereign nation at its next meeting (at, it turns out, a VFW hall in Bryan, Texas). 

Instead, local, state and federal law enforcement officials raided the Republic's gathering on Valentines Day 2015, fingerprinted a bunch of members, and seized the group's documents and computers. Cammack, who represents Bexar County in the Republic's mostly-vacant "House of Representatives," and David Kroupa, the Republic's chief justice who sent the summonses on her behalf, were charged with misdemeanor counts of "simulating legal process" for sending the bogus court orders. Kroupa pleaded guilty, avoided jail time, and agreed to testify against Cammack. 

Cammack has proved a bit more obstinate to Kerr County officials, who insist they're trying to stamp out illegal activity by Republic members who argue that they aren't subject to local laws because Texas never really joined the union (in its proclamation, the Republic says it's not a secessionist group because, “We never ‘ceded’ the land of Texas" in the first place.) Last year the jury that convicted Cammack gave her only a fine and probation, none of which she plans on following. As the Express-News first reported this week, Cammack was arrested for violating her probation for the second time earlier this month. She remains in the Kerr County jail without bond. 

:snippity:

Cammack's next court date hasn't yet been set, so there's no telling how long she'll stay in lockup this time. It's also unclear how much the Republic of Texas crackdown has done to dissuade members from flouting local laws. At her last court appearance in July, according to the Express-News, Cammack claimed she didn't understand the judge's questions and, when asked if she wanted to question a witness, told the court, "Not my circus. Not my monkey." She donned a surgical mask because she’d refused to submit to a tuberculosis test in lockup, which landed her in isolation. The next month, she filed a letter with the court claiming officials had kidnapped, assaulted and imprisoned her "with their extortion racket, and then held a show trial in their so-called court, before their (bought-and-paid-for) clerk masquerading as a judge.”
Another article here-
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/ ... 976416.php

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:44 pm

In their official press release The Republic of Texas whines that the police raided this meeting even though "the State of Texas" was not mentioned on any of the paperwork (altho they openly admit that they sent out writs in the name of "The Republic of Texas"). Evidently everyone at that meeting was carded by the cops and some were arrested and certain unspecified items (but I would guess such things as weapons) were taken from them by the cops. All very whiny; not the sort of people who could have weathered a 13 day siege in an old mission.

http://thetexasrepublic.com/texians-under-attack-2/

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:31 pm

http://thetexasrepublic.com/

Stop the press!

They are convening a Joint Congressional Session on Saturday, December 10 starting at 9:30 am, at the Iron Skillet, 2001 Santa Fe Dr, Weatherford, TX 76086.

JohnPCapitalist
Occupation: Investment management in the financial industry. Deep knowledge of stocks, tech and economics.

Post by JohnPCapitalist » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:02 pm

Grumpy Old Guy wrote:They are convening a Joint Congressional Session on Saturday, December 10 starting at 9:30 am, at the Iron Skillet, 2001 Santa Fe Dr, Weatherford, TX 76086.
It's the perfect location for a meeting... in the TA truck stop just off I-20, strategically located a little ways west of Fort Worth. And all the grumpy old geezers will be glad to know that the Iron Skillet features a buffet, so they don't have to settle for the cheapo Senior breakfasts that they have at Denny's. Revolution and chicken fried steak, the perfect breakfast combination!

JohnPCapitalist
Occupation: Investment management in the financial industry. Deep knowledge of stocks, tech and economics.

Post by JohnPCapitalist » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:04 am

I saw that nobody has checked up recently on the political LARPers at the pretend Republic of Texas so I thought I'd take a quick gander at their web site.

They're having a "joint session of congress" on Saturday, March 11 in Brenham, TX, which is a small city about halfway between Houston and Austin. Not a bad choice because it's roughly equidistant to the San Antonio, Austin and Houston membership, but it's a bit inconvenient for the North Texas contingent.

Interestingly, the meeting will be held at a place called The Cannery Kitchen. A few seconds of Google-fu reveals that Cannery Kitchen is actually a soup kitchen run by a local religious charity. It functions as a publicly accessible restaurant as well, with revenue from paying customers subsidizing meals for the needy. I wonder what the board of the charity would think about potential image problems that might result from hosting an organization that was raided by the FBI in 2015 as part of a domestic terrorism sweep. The Cannery Kitchen folks might also be intrigued by the history of the group's then-leader Richard L. McLaren, who in 1997 following a kidnapping and a string of typical SovCit financial frauds, was apprehended after a week-long armed standoff and is now serving 99 years in the federal pen.

I'm suspecting that the Republic of Texas geezer brigade is enthusiastic about this sort of restaurant, not because they like hanging around with poor people (well, people that are broker than they are, anyway), but because it's got an all-you-can-eat buffet. It's a way better deal than trying to make one of those cheap senior breakfasts at Denny's with one egg, one stick of bacon, one sausage plus toast and hash browns last for three or four hours of pontificating. The December meeting was at a buffet that is part of a mega-truck stop just west of Ft. Worth... I sense a trend.

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:32 am

JohnPCapitalist wrote:I saw that nobody has checked up recently on the political LARPers at the pretend Republic of Texas so I thought I'd take a quick gander at their web site.

They're having a "joint session of congress" on Saturday, March 11 in Brenham, TX, which is a small city about halfway between Houston and Austin. Not a bad choice because it's roughly equidistant to the San Antonio, Austin and Houston membership, but it's a bit inconvenient for the North Texas contingent.

Interestingly, the meeting will be held at a place called The Cannery Kitchen. A few seconds of Google-fu reveals that Cannery Kitchen is actually a soup kitchen run by a local religious charity. It functions as a publicly accessible restaurant as well, with revenue from paying customers subsidizing meals for the needy. I wonder what the board of the charity would think about potential image problems that might result from hosting an organization that was raided by the FBI in 2015 as part of a domestic terrorism sweep. The Cannery Kitchen folks might also be intrigued by the history of the group's then-leader Richard L. McLaren, who in 1997 following a kidnapping and a string of typical SovCit financial frauds, was apprehended after a week-long armed standoff and is now serving 99 years in the federal pen.

I'm suspecting that the Republic of Texas geezer brigade is enthusiastic about this sort of restaurant, not because they like hanging around with poor people (well, people that are broker than they are, anyway), but because it's got an all-you-can-eat buffet. It's a way better deal than trying to make one of those cheap senior breakfasts at Denny's with one egg, one stick of bacon, one sausage plus toast and hash browns last for three or four hours of pontificating. The December meeting was at a buffet that is part of a mega-truck stop just west of Ft. Worth... I sense a trend.
Except Denny's sells liqueur and Lone Star Long Necks.

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Return to “Sovereign Citizens, Private Militias, and Citizen Grand Juries”