Gavin Seim

mimi

Gavin Seim

Post by mimi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:46 am

Reminds me a lot of flatcap.

I read about this guy sometime in the summer. Looks like he's gaining a following. No doubt the video of him demanding a cop provide ID has done much for him in that regard.

Here's one post about that:

Gavin Seim, Activist, Pulls Over Cop Driving In Unmarked Car In Washington, Demands ID

The Huffington Post | By Ed Mazza

Posted:

10/19/2014 11:54 pm EDT Updated:

10/20/2014 1:59 am EDT

"I'm not going to write you up today," Seim says. "What I am going to encourage you to do is take this car back."

When the officer starts to smile, Seim holds firm: "I could call a sheriff out here and demand that you be written up for this because you are in open violation of Washington State RCWs."

The exchange remains polite throughout, and ends with one final table-turner as Seim sends the cop off with a "you be safe out there" in the edited clip. (Seim has also posted the unedited exchange here.)

Here's the law Seim is referring to:

"It is unlawful for any public officer having charge of any vehicle owned or controlled by any county, city, town, or public body in this state other than the state of Washington and used in public business to operate the same upon the public highways of this state unless and until there shall be displayed upon such automobile or other motor vehicle in letters of contrasting color not less than one and one-quarter inches in height in a conspicuous place on the right and left sides thereof, the name of such county, city, town, or other public body, together with the name of the department or office upon the business of which the said vehicle is used."

the rest, including the video:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/1 ... 12328.html

A follow up to that in the Seattle Times:

Ephrata man’s video of encounter with cop gains millions of views

A 29-year-old Ephrata man is gaining lots of views, but not necessarily friends, for his YouTube videos of confrontations with authorities in patrol cars and at roadside inspection stations.

It wasn’t the taciturn, irritated reaction that Seim has gotten in other encounters he has had with authorities — for example, at a New Mexico checkpoint about 100 miles from the Mexican border; or at a California highway pest-control station.

In New Mexico, he was asked for his ID, which Seim explains in that video is illegal without cause.

In the California confrontation, titled, “Seim Refusing Fruit Nazi Checkpoint & Driving Away,” he tells a woman pest-control officer that he won’t consent to have his vehicle searched for bugs.

“Oh, really,” the woman snaps back. “I don’t consent to being filmed.”

Seim then says, “That’s OK. You’re a public servant so we can film you.”

His wife, Sondra, is doing the taping on a smartphone. Their three young children are with them.

In both the New Mexico and California videos, peeved-looking officers eventually let the family go through without Seim having to show ID or consent to a car search.

But not answering questions about pests at an agricultural checkpoint?

“At what point are we willing to give up our rights ... if government can pull us off the to the side of the road and stop us and question us and detain us, when we’ve committed no crime?” Seim says on the video.

As for how his children react at seeing Daddy confronting officers, Seim says, “The kids are surprisingly engaged ... our kids understand far more than people expect them to understand.”

Seim’s activism is well known in this county of only 92,000.

A bunch more here:

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/ ... eoxml.html

Anyhoo, with that success, Gavin has moved on to attempting to fill the shoes of the Flat Cap. His first big rally is December 13, 2014:

Saturday, December 13

at 11:00am in PST

Next Week

Show Map

Washington State Capitol

Olympia, Washington 98501

Pass the word. WE STAND!

Will you bow down and lick the boots of tyrants, or will you stand for the liberty of your children? I am Gavin Seim and I for one WILL NOT COMPLY!

Event Website/Flyer: http://callmegav.com/ral/

FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/boldliberty

STICKERS/Donate: http://callmegav.com/store

Question & Answer: http://callmegav.com/rallyqa

Organizer/Media: Gavin Seim, gavinforliberty@gmail.com

We're not waiting for politicians, judges or lawyers. Our birthright is NOT to be touched. We call on our Sheriffs, local representatives and legislators to stand with us and uphold their oaths.The Constitution is the supreme law and our God given rights are NOT open for negotiation. We choose to uphold the law as peacefully and principled as possible, but it will be upheld.

We will buy and sell guns from whom we please, we will not submit to background checks, we will not give up our rights, WE WILL NOT Comply.

We will rally at the capital, openly exchange guns, unveil and plan to break apart the legislation and violate i594 in every possible way. Because ALL law that violates the Constitution is not law, it is VOID!

This is being organized by the Gavin Seim for Liberty and Anthony Bosworth For Sheriff and many great volunteers from across the State. Please show up.

Related up coming events:

Event to arrange a carpool to this rally:

We Will Not Comply Rally in Spokane, Dec 20th.

Educational LINKS: (I'm breaing the links so they don't just turn into videos here. :) mimi)

The 2nd Explained: h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOwy9OWfnAM

The Stand Video1: h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eimUHl8rbts

2A History Facts: h ttp://callmegav.com/2014/01/2nd-amendment-history-guns-quotes-shall-not-infringe/v

Here's the main info & video for the big event:

facebook account:

Pass the word. WE STAND!

On Nov 4th 2014 a new gun law was passed in Washington that will make as much as handing a friend your gun a felony. We will not tolerate this law and I am going to do what I said I would do in my video.

Will you bow down and lick the boots of tyrants, or will you stand for the liberty of your children?

We’re not waiting for politicians, judges or lawyers. Our birthright is NOT to be touched. We call on our Sheriffs, local representatives and legislators to stand with us and uphold their oaths. The Constitution is the supreme law and our God given rights are NOT open for negotiation. We choose to uphold the law as peacefully and principled as possible, but it will be upheld.

We will buy and sell guns from whom we please, we will not submit to background checks, we will not give up our rights, WE WILL NOT Comply.On Dec 13th we will hold our first rally at the capital, openly exchange guns, unveil and plan to break apart the entire legislation and violate i594 in every possible way. Because ALL law that violates the Constitution is not law, it is VOID!

This is our time Washington. Lets show the world how liberty is done.

He doesn't have a permit for the rally.

This from SPLC:

Seim says that his fellow rally-goers will violate the law flagrantly at the rally: “It’s not hard since the law is so ridiculous. Hand a gun to a friend, buy a gun, sell a gun. You are welcome to do all of these things as you please.”

However, Washington State Patrol officials made clear that nothing planned for the event would be in itself illegal or provoke an arrest. “We don’t see handing a weapon to someone else as a violation of the law,” a spokesman said. “We don’t see that as a transfer.”

Seim has another problem with his rally: He didn’t obtain a permit for it, and another pro-gun group is planning a rally for the same day. The state official in charge of issuing the permits wrote back to Seim and explained that the conflict precluded his plans: “The place that you have indicated in the below map is taken by another group on this particular day and during the time you are interested in holding a rally. The group that reserved the space submitted a completed application with a specific location request.”

Seim responded defiantly: “First let’s be clear. We are not asking for your ‘authorization’ and we’re not ‘applying’ to the State. We are allowing them the opportunity to work with us. I did in fact clearly inform you we would be gathering on the main lawn right from the start and there was no doubt about where I meant. What I have outlined is what we ARE doing. … We informed you of the plan out of courtesy. You can work with us, or you can play games.”

In the meantime, Seim has continued planning his event by rallying his troops with stirring appeals. “We stand for peace,” he wrote in a recent post. “But we will tear down this tyranny and if I must die for liberty, I will do it with principle and pride, counting myself among the lucky few who were there to see liberty finally stand.”

MORE of that here:

http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2014/11/2 ... more-18280

Some older articles:

Seim may face charges in courthouse confrontation

Posted: Thursday, June 5, 2014 9:00 am | Updated: 10:34 am, Thu Jun 5, 2014.

By Joe Utter,

Herald staff writer | 7 comments

http://www.columbiabasinherald.com/news ... f887a.html

Boise sergeant who confronted videographer disciplined

Internal investigation concludes Sgt. Lori Sperry didn’t live up to BPD’s professional standards.

By JOHN SOWELL

jsowell@idahostatesman.comDecember 24, 2013

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/12/2 ... onted.html

twitter:

https://twitter.com/gavinseim/with_replies

There's a bunch more links, but you get the gist.

Bubba

Gavin Seim

Post by Bubba » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:57 pm

A classic case of taking a good idea too far. I agree with him on alot of things. I don't think we should have internal checkpoints in the United States. Those low IQ morons holding up traffic on California state line asking motorists about tomatoes, should get lost. I think that there is a personal right to own a firearm and carry it on your person, with reasonable exceptions for schizo's and felons. Doesn't mean we should not have background checks. I think a citizen has a right to non-invasively film cops as long as he is at a distance and not interfering with the stop. This guy is just taking all these things to absolute extremes and being a douchebag along the way. Still, I would put him in a category above birthers and sovereign citizen nuts, atleast he touches on some real issues.

mimi

Gavin Seim

Post by mimi » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:37 pm

i'm telling you, he's the next flatcap dude.

He organized an "I will not comply" rally in Olympia, Washington.

Organizer Gavin Seim made the extraordinary nature of the rally very clear, "This isn't just a protest. We are here to openly violate the law." Attendees publicly transferred their guns to each other in violation of I-591's background check provisions, and some even bought and sold guns just a few feet away from law enforcement. A fire pit blazed throughout the rally, and at the conclusion, gun owners lined up to burn their concealed weapons permits. A petition was circulated affirming gun owners' refusal to follow I-594, which ended with, "We pledge our blood. We will not comply."

As the RSVPs in advance of the rally grew to over 6,000, the police - most who probably detest I-594 - decided not to enforce the law. The Washington State Patrol announced there would be no arrests for exchanging guns - not even for selling guns. Seim refused to obtain a permit to hold the rally, citing the right of people to peaceably assemble.

The rally could not be dismissed as fringe elements. Several lawmakers and lawmen spoke, including former Graham County Sheriff Richard Mack of Arizona, Washington State Rep. Elizabeth Scott (R-Monroe) and Rep. Graham Hunt (R-Orting), who sported an AR-15 during his speech. Mack advised gun owners engaging in civil disobedience to "put your sheriff next to you to keep it peaceful." Scott defiantly explained in her speech, "I will not comply with I-594 because it is unconstitutional, unenforceable and unjust. It is impossible to enforce this law unless there is a police officer on every back porch and in every living room. So it will be enforced selectively." She noted that Founding Father Alexander Hamilton said any law that violates the Constitution is not valid, and there is a moral obligation to disobey unjust laws.

from nutty site:

http://www.christianpost.com/news/over- ... ce-131193/

BTW, that author is this person:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/politics/ ... ander.html

also discussed in a bunch at phonix new times:

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bastar ... tent_b.php

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valley ... thomas.php

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valley ... ed_ari.php

and so on.

Anyhoo... back to Gavin.

Seattle Times:

While on stage, Seim burned his state concealed-weapons permit and advocated that people should buy tanks and bazookas if they wanted them.

“If you want to own a bazooka, you can own a bazooka,” Seim said to cheers.

When a speaker talking to the crowd mentioned Gabrielle Giffords, the Arizona congresswoman who survived a gunshot wound to the head during a mass shooting and has since lobbied for stricter gun laws, many in the crowd booed.

At a booth sporting an LGBT pride rainbow design, demonstrators picked up rifles in what they said was an illegal transfer of a gun from one person to another under I-594.

But the State Patrol, which policed the event, had announced that it could not prove such an action violated the law and would not arrest people for handing firearms to each other.

And, like flatcap (Shaeffer Cox), Gavin has some legislative friends (who will no doubt later deny any dealings with him):

Rep. Elizabeth Scott, R-Monroe, told the crowd she would co-sponsor bills in the upcoming session to both repeal and weaken I-594.

Scott said she also planned to co-sponsor a bill to allow people with concealed-pistol permits to carry weapons on school grounds, in hopes of deterring a shooting, and another to eliminate the sales tax on guns and ammunition. As she announced each proposal, the crowd lit up in cheers.

Ammon Bundy was scheduled to speak but was a no-show.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/ ... lyxml.html

Gavin is much more web-savvy than Flatcap and did an email blast on the turnout.

We have Defiance & VICTORY!:

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=f89 ... ad89dabc52

from the rally website:

Featured Patriot Speakers:

Mike Vanderboegh (web).

Sheriff Richard Mack (web).

Cope Reynolds (web).

Rep Elizabeth Scott (web)

Anthony Bosworth (web)

Kit Lange Carroll (web)

Gavin Seim (web)

PLUS: Other regional patriots.

Although not listed, Washington state rep Graham Hunt also spoke.

Kit Lange was Walt Fitzpatrick's pal. She was a popular military justice blogger for awhile, then sorta fell off the map. I gave a bit of info about here here: topic/5218-another-shooting/page-120#entry586126

Vanderboegh is a racist and a hypocrite.

Bosworth is nuts and ran for sheriff. lost big. cuz nuts.

Cope Reynolds is the Arizona gun shop owner who made headlines when he put a sign up that said: "If you voted for Barack Obama, your business is NOT WELCOME at Southwest Shooting Authority. You have proven you are not responsible enough to own a firearm." And other stuffs.

So Gav decided to rally again on January 15.

facebook:

SueDB

Gavin Seim

Post by SueDB » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:47 pm

And it seems they are all from out of state.

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Suranis

Gavin Seim

Post by Suranis » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:07 pm

Yeah.

Mimi is right. This guy is dangerous. He's publicity hungry and he wants a confrontation

"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

kate520

Gavin Seim

Post by kate520 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:15 pm

If you live in California you might not be so sanguine about the inspections. Is it so important to people to be able to do what they want, regardless of the consequences they may neither know nor care about, that they fuss about safety measures like trying to keep out known buggers and things that could destroy our economy? Nouveau Flatcap and his buddies would be the first to scream ( like I did) when they have to aerial spray the whole dad gum state to get rid of an agricultural terrorist bug.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Northland10

Gavin Seim

Post by Northland10 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:07 pm

Yeah.

Mimi is right. This guy is dangerous. He's publicity hungry and he wants a confrontation

And he got one, and was promptly arrested.

http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2015/01/2 ... tion-case/

Seim, 29, an ardent proponent of far-right “Patriot” movement theories on constitutional law and a frequent critic of police behavior, was taken into custody along with his 59-year-old father, Grant, by Douglas County sheriff’s deputies on Jan. 15 after a group of about ten protesters disrupted the courtroom of Judge Judith L. McCauley in East Wenatchee.

The protesters were there to observe the proceedings in a traffic case involving Tavis Shasteen, 19, who had been cited in October after being briefly arrested for refusing to give his license information to a deputy who had pulled him over for speeding. Since, Seim had turned the case into an antigovernment cause celebre.

According to the Omak Chronicle, Seim attempted to represent Shasteen in the court proceeding, even though he is not a licensed attorney. Seim also protested loudly when McCauley told the spectators they would not be permitted to broadcast the proceedings online.

“Seim began yelling at the judge and walking toward her bench,” Sheriff Harvey Gjesdal said. McCauley “ordered him removed from the courtroom.”

North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Gavin Seim

Post by Flatpointhigh » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:53 am

It's a short walk from simple protest to simple assault and complex felony convictions

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

esseff44

Gavin Seim

Post by esseff44 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:29 pm

Here's the YouTube mentioned the article. It got a lot of attention. His YouTube of stopping the officer has almost 3 million views. He is so tense and wound up, we can expect to hear a lot more about his anti-government activities.

I can only take about 30 seconds of his spittle-flecked diatribes.

Family Liberty Patriot

Gavin Seim

Post by Family Liberty Patriot » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:42 pm

I will not comply!

Wanna bet?

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - 2006)

mimi

Gavin Seim

Post by mimi » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:54 pm

I didn't watch that whole video. But I think I saw it before. But that's not this one.

from the SPLC link:

A month before the hearing, Seim had gone to the Douglas County Courthouse to assess the situation. While there, he encountered a court marshal who informed him he’d be required to abide by court rules while in McCauley’s court. This irked Seim a great deal, and he posted a video about it on YouTube two days before the hearing.

[I think there's supposed to be a video here, but I can't see it?]

“There you go, folks, that is what you call contempt of the citizenry from a public servant,” he said to the camera as he departed. “He deserves no respect whatsoever. We need to stop giving respect to people who think that they are little rulers and kings over the people. They serve us, and it’s time to stop tolerating this foolishness from our servants.”

It appears to be this video I found in his youtube:

mimi

Gavin Seim

Post by mimi » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:16 pm

He's an old video of him blowing through a checkpoint.

Plutodog

Gavin Seim

Post by Plutodog » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:28 pm

This little boy never learned to behave as a grownup.

The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

BillTheCat

Gavin Seim

Post by BillTheCat » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:39 pm

I bet he's a real hit with the ladies. And other sane people.

'But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'
-Lewis Carroll

gshevlin

Gavin Seim

Post by gshevlin » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:35 pm

Here is the underlying issue: a lot of the processes that he is protesting are probably unconstitutional. However, he forgot the #1 rule of life (Don't Be A Dick) along the way. As a result, he comes across as a posturing, bloviating, confrontational juvenile twit most of the time.

Plutodog

Gavin Seim

Post by Plutodog » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:11 pm

Unconstitutional? Such as, gshev?

SueDB

Gavin Seim

Post by SueDB » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:05 pm

I guess the border patrol was lazy that day. Of all the times I've been from SA to Laredo in I-35, I wouldn't dare pull crap like that.

It's an open invitation to have your car pulled apart bolt by bolt. Then you can argue about constitutionality later after you have hired someone to rebuild your car.

- Cause to behave like that you just must have drugs in the car SOMEWHERE. Mebbe behind that (crack/creak) stubborn panel. :lol: :lol:

mimi

Gavin Seim

Post by mimi » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:50 pm

Gavin Seim for Liberty

23 hrs · Edited ·

My dad and I have arraignments on Feb 3rd at 9AM in the Douglas County district Court, East Wenatchee. -- We must not bow down when officials abuse authority. God hates hypocrisy; stand on principle! It's time for OUR employees and OUR courts to learn who they serve. We must no longer tolerate this trampling of justice and the peoples rights. It's ON! -- Gav

Remember when Schaeffer Cox wouldn't remove his hat?

At previous hearings in the case, Cox has vowed not to attend his arraignment, refused to remove his hat and spoken at length about his objections to the proceedings.

http://www.newsminer.com/news/alaska_ne ... 0445a.html

He eventually did.

http://www.themudflats.net/archives/35174

Plutodog

Gavin Seim

Post by Plutodog » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:15 am

Stephen Pidgeon? =))

When dad and I and the family showed up in court yesterday, POLICE were everywhere. You would think WE were the bureaucratic terrorists, rather than the Douglas County judges and officials. Perhaps they were afraid we would request due process.

We now have attorney Stephen Pidgeon on the case and he took point in the courtroom, jumping in and taking control of the situation. Steve is a veteran at taking on tyranny in the courts. -- The crony politics from the bench are appalling. It's time to stop tolerating criminals who lay great burdens on the backs of others, while not so much as lifting their little finger to carry the same.

A pro tem judge was sitting just for our cases. I did not try to make a speech, though the judge was clearly bothered by the casual (read equal) way I addressed him. Yet for him to not immediately dismiss these false charges, reveals him as yet another tyrant.

Will YOU stand silent while justice and liberty go into the flames? I will NOT! We are taking on this corruption for liberty and I ask for your help in standing with us. There will be legal costs and expenses to deal with. Please stand with is in this battle by donating HERE: http://callmegav.com/donate/

mimi

Gavin Seim

Post by mimi » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:03 am

A pro tem judge was sitting just for our cases. I did not try to make a speech, though the judge was clearly bothered by the casual (read equal) way I addressed him. Yet for him to not immediately dismiss these false charges, reveals him as yet another tyrant.

Wait until he addresses the prison warden in a casual (read equal) way.

Flatpointhigh

Gavin Seim

Post by Flatpointhigh » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:12 am

Gotta wonder if these adult brats behaved the same way and disrepected their parents for being "tyrannical"

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

mimi

Gavin Seim

Post by mimi » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:23 am

Interesting post over at "Photography Is Not A Crime". As the title of the blog suggests, they are pro-photography. But, when they interviewed an attorney who specializes in First Amendment issues, Gavin took offense. It seems he only likes to give interviews to those who agree with him.

Just a little bit about the guy Gavin has issue with:

“A trial is not a rock concert,” said Mickey Osterreicher, general counsel for the National Photographers Press Association. “You can’t just have people running around the courtroom with cameras.”

“What I’m seeing here is somebody who was apparently intent on disruption,” Osterreicher said in a phone interview. “[As a court room photographer] you basically want to be invisible. You are not a distraction to the judge, jury, witnesses or anybody else.”

Osterreicher spent decades as a photojournalist before he became an attorney. He has written extensively on the issue of cameras in the courtroom as well as testified before Congress in support of cameras in the courtroom. View his testimony on this C-Span video.

Also interesting is his dad jumping into the convo on facebook. It looks like a screencap from a facebook convo.

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2015/ ... ky-ground/

Flatpointhigh

Gavin Seim

Post by Flatpointhigh » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:26 am

I follow PINAC. It's a great blog. It's a great public service, and highlights excesses regarding law and photography.

Cancer broke me

mimi

Gavin Seim

Post by mimi » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:45 am

I was honestly surprised to see Gav's dad supporting his nonsense in that last post.

Anyway, here's another post about the incident that landed Gav in the pokey.

The Omak-Okanogan Chronicle:

Seim arrested in Douglas County courtroom

By Dee Camp

As of Thursday, January 15, 2015

During Thursday’s hearing on the infraction, Gavin Seim allegedly got into an argument with the judge because he wanted to represent Shasteen. Seim, although not an attorney, argued he should be allowed to represent Shasteen, the Sheriff's Office reported.

In addition, he allegedly took exception to a ruling by Judge Judith L. McCauley because she did not want spectators live-streaming video from the courtroom.

“Seim began yelling at the judge and walking toward her bench,” Gjesdal said. McCauley “ordered him removed from the courtroom.”

When deputies tried to escort him out, he allegedly began to pull away and resist. He was placed under arrest and later booked into jail for interfering with a court, disorderly conduct and contempt of court, Gjesdal said

As the deputies were attempting to handcuff Gavin Seim, Shasteen’s supporters began coming to the front of the courtroom, apparently in an effort to interfere with the arrest.

there's more:

http://www.omakchronicle.com/news/2015/ ... courtroom/

SueDB

Gavin Seim

Post by SueDB » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:48 am

There were no injuries during the disturbance, Gjesdal said, adding the jury deliberated 15 minutes before finding Shasteen guilty.

I live on the wrong side of the Cascades... ;)

Return to “Sovereign Citizens, Private Militias, and Citizen Grand Juries”