Ukraine

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Re: Ukraine

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I'm watching MSNBC right now. Putin has declared Donetsk and Luhansk as independent republics and begun sending troops in to those regions as "peacekeepers."
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Putin knows the Nazi playbook.

Sanctions will hurt his people; he could not care less.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Salami expansion of the newest Russian Empire

Tsar Putin I
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

They were also talking about Putin's claim that he has the right to "protect" all Russian (and, IIUC, Russian-speaking) people regardless of which country they live in. In addition, he has also apparently been giving passports and citizenship to Russian-speaking people in other countries. That would seem to be a way for him to validate his claim to "protecting" these people and justify his efforts to enforce that "protection."
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Liz Cheney @Liz_Cheney wrote: Pulling our Embassy out of Ukraine is a disgraceful abandonment.

America cannot defend our own freedom and security if we betray our allies and commitments around the world.

Full and crippling sanctions must be implemented against Putin and Russia immediately.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

I agree with Liz, but is it true that we pulled our embassy out of Ukraine?
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

SuzieC wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:24 pm I agree with Liz, but is it true that we pulled our embassy out of Ukraine?
No. Most non-essential personnel were sent home. We closed the embassy building in Kiev, and sent the remaining staff to Lviv, a city in Western Ukraine. Presumably this was done because Kiev was understood to be a main target of any Russian offensive.
Lani

Post by Lani »

SuzieC wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:24 pm I agree with Liz, but is it true that we pulled our embassy out of Ukraine?
Most the staff was removed days ago. I don't know if anyone is left now.

Biden signed an executive order that prohibits new investment, trade and financing by U.S. persons. More economic measures tomorrow. That's being done in coordination with allies for "severe economic measures."
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
raison de arizona

They moved it to Poland.
U.S. Orders Personnel Out of Ukraine on Threat From Russia
:snippity:
The U.S. evacuated State Department personnel and embassy operations from Ukraine to Poland on Monday, amid fears that security conditions could deteriorate following Russian President Vladimir Putin’s recognition of two separatist regions in the eastern part of the country.

“For security reasons, Department of State personnel currently in Lviv will spend the night in Poland,” according to a statement.

The U.S. officials are expected to remain at a hotel just over the border though they could return to Ukraine as soon as Tuesday if the State Department determines that the security situation has stabilized, according to multiple U.S. officials who described the move on the condition of anonymity.

The move of the small contingent of American diplomats still in Ukraine comes after the U.S. had already relocated its embassy from the capital of Kyiv to the western city of Lviv. President Joe Biden warned Friday that U.S. intelligence indicated Russia could launch an assault on the capital city, and the State Department for weeks has encouraged American citizens to depart the country before an outbreak of hostilities.
:snippity:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... people-say
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

I am following Fogbow for up to the minute and accurate news about Ukraine.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Will the GOP/Putin enablers agree with Liz Cheney's call for full and crippling sanctions against Russia? She is one of the last Republicans to stand against Russia and Putin. Most of the GQP is pro-Russia, Pro Putin, and Pro Covid.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Out of Kyiv. It's now in Lviv, where most other nations (or at least western nations) have moved theirs as well.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Lani wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:33 pm
From what I heard tonight, none of our people are still there. It's being guarded by local security personnel, not any of our troops.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Anyone else depressed?
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Lani wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:30 am Anyone else depressed?
Yes, quite, to be honest.

Of course, my depression has been hitting me hard lately, so it doesn't take much to push me down even further.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Thanks. That helps me. Not alone and all that....
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:15 am
Lani wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:33 pm
From what I heard tonight, none of our people are still there. It's being guarded by local security personnel, not any of our troops.
At least temporarily, all of our remaining embassy staffers are in Poland.
Jennifer Hansler
@jmhansler
·
6h
NEW:
@SecBlinken
announces that "for security reasons, Department of State personnel currently in Lviv will spend the night in Poland" amid fears of Russian military action in Ukraine.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

Perspective.
raison de arizona

raison de arizona

Nice troll.
► Show Spoiler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Ukraine crisis: Germany halts pipeline as nations sanction Russia

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-6 ... st+type%5D
In response, Germany halted approval of the Nord Stream 2 pipeline and other Western nations issued sanctions.

Sanctions can take various forms - the term can refer to many actions used by one country to harm another, usually to deter aggressive actions or breaches of international law.

The Nord Stream 2 pipeline has been supported by Germany despite opposition from countries such as the US, UK, Poland and Ukraine. It cost €10bn (£8.4bn), with the funding split between Russian and Western energy companies.

But following Mr Putin's order to send troops to the rebel-held Ukrainian regions of Donetsk and Luhansk, Germany announced it was suspending the process of giving the pipeline between it and Russia an operating licence - effectively stopping the project until further notice.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Unfortunately renewables are not in a place where we can replace gas, and we wont be there for a while yet.
Hic sunt dracones
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Vivian Salama
@vmsalama
NEW: France's foreign affairs minister Jean-Yves Le Drian called off a planned meeting on Friday in Paris with Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov.
raison de arizona

Imma hafta find this statement. :mad:
Donald Trump just called Putin's invasion of Ukraine 'genius' and 'very savvy' and referred to him as a 'peacekeeper.'

What a traitor.

Return to “Russian Invasion of Ukraine”