Falsehoods unchallenged only fester and grow. To join, email foggy at thefogbow dot com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:16 am 

White asparagus? Cilantro? I suddenly feel the need to post a recipe...

But I will not risk the wrath of the newest Green One. As Martha Stewart would say, "What the f%&* are you doing with the $#&% on the %*&#$ you f#&ing MORONS!!!" Oh. Wait. I'm sure that she actually meant to say, "It's a good thing."

Congrats, Raicha. And I'm sorry in advance.

Image x2 Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:37 am 

Estiveo wrote:
Congrats, Raicha. And I'm sorry in advance.

This, very much! Please forgive me, as I have a terrible potty mouth. I don't want to be baned. :hug:

“The main thing that I learned about conspiracy theory, is that conspiracy theorists believe in a conspiracy because that is more comforting. The truth of the world is that it is actually chaotic. The truth is that it is not The Iluminati, or The Jewish Banking Conspiracy, or the Gray Alien Theory.

The truth is far more frightening - Nobody is in control. The world is rudderless.”

― Alan Moore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:36 am 

This is silly, kids. Nobody needs to live in fear of raicha. [-X

(not picking on Highlands or anybody, these are general comments)

We're changing neither the degree nor the philosophy of our moderation. :hug:

raicha spotted something a few days back that, if I'd been on the board and had been thinking (I know! Huh?), I would have possibly spotted myself, maybe. Probably not, though. If she'd had mod powers then, she'd have saved me a ton of hassle and stress later on.

Her heart is in the right place and she's smart as a whip. Neither of my other mods are lawyers (although realist knows more law than a lot of lawyers do; didja hear him craft an excellent hypothetical question for an expert witness on Reality Check Radio the other night?).

For some reason, realist gets way more PMs than I do. People bring him every little problem, 'cuz everybody knows he has no life and can devote himself to the forum 24/7. Except you're driving him bonkers. He actually DOES have a life, and a girlfriend, and a passion that has nothing to do with the birthers (golf), and he could use a bit of a break.

So from now on, any time you think you'd like to ask realist for a favor or bring one of your problems to him, send the PM to raicha or kate520 instead. They also have no lives and can devote themselves to the forum 24/7. :^o

What I'm really saying is, the more folks on the team, the less each team member should have to shoulder, and I believe raicha is pretty well dialed in on what our moderation schema entails, even if there are times when she seems a little ... strict.

And the truth is, I want her to be strict with the birthers in the birther cage. This next part is about 'splainin' MY philosophy when it comes to the birthers in the birther cage:

For those of you not in the Birther Engagers usergroup, this most recent one has been a nasty little piece of work. He lied about being a black man; he lied about being in the military; he lied about a lot of things and got caught in every lie, and then he blithely informed us that "Snopes is not to be trusted." Well, fuck you very much, Mr. Fake Black Dude. We'll make up our own minds, TYVM, and probably won't follow the advice of notorious lying sacks of ...

He tried to come in as a concern troll, but when I busted him for who and what he is, he turned into a vicious moron. He seems to feel that we need him to start a new thread every time WND has a new article on birferism, 'cause he thinks we don't read them for ourselves. He brings up all the nasty shit that has nothing to do with eligibility, like "Michelle was disbarred" and "Stanley Ann made pr0n". I'm about 10 seconds from baning his ass.

When we were at PJ, I really admired Justin for the way he tried like hell to be even-handed in dealing with the birthers who joined up. He tried to enforce the rules just about exactly equally for them as for our own people. As long as they didn't do personal attacks on individual members here, they could post without censorship, and Justin was the very epitome of fairness and non-discrimination in dealing with them.

Which was admirable, but I'm not like that. I tried, but I'm all done being fair to birthers.

By now we've had about 20 different birthers between PJ and Fogbow. I've waited and hoped in vain for one to come along that could make rational and honest arguments. We've never found one. They're all dishonest, every single one of them. They all make stupid arguments that we've debunked months and years ago. None of them say anything new; none of them say anything worth arguing. Not even Aristotle the Hunnybun, the übergenius with the gazillion IQ who should have been able to simply think us into subjection using the vast power of his ginormous brainbone.

Instead he randed away with his tail brainbone between his legs after just 20 posts, poor bunny ...

So this whole, "Be fair, give them a chance, let's see what they have to say" thingy isn't workin' for me any more. That birfer won't hunt. The only reason I allow them at all is that the Birther Engagers usergroup and I enjoy beating up on them some in order to take out our aggressions, and we can't do that on any of the birther blogs because of censorship.

But I'm not being fair to birthers here. They can suck my foot, especially the one we have now, who isn't allowed to have even a signature or an avatar. He abused his privileges, so he doesn't have any now. I've told him and everyone that the next time he brings up some bullshit that has nothing to do with eligibility, he's baned. The rule about no personal insults is rather loosely enforced in the birfer cage, too.

We hardly ever discipline any of our Obots, though. I can't even remember the last time it happened. I'm pretty sure the worst thing I've ever done to an Obot here is cut off more than four paragraphs or redacted a Social Security number or edited a post and left a note why. I'm not being fair to birthers, I know. I'm not even trying to be fair to them any more. I'm all done with being fair to them; I'll spend my time being fair to Obots, TYVM. I have a bias toward people I like and admire and respect, and a bias against people I dislike and don't admire and don't respect. That's kinda the way it's going to be, and I think all my mods are down with that kind of regime.

Further affiant sayeth naught. :-#

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:37 am 

Offtopic :
Could you make an official post about what will change in the birfer cage? I'm a little worried about this :(

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:42 am 

Quote:
For some reason, realist gets way more PMs than I do. People bring him every little problem, 'cuz everybody knows he has no life and can devote himself to the forum 24/7. Except you're driving him bonkers. He actually DOES have a life, and a high maintenancegirlfriend, and a passion that has nothing to do with the birthers (golf), and he could use a bit of a break.

FIFY. I still marvel that realist manages not to work Rory McIlroy or Steve Stricker into threads but he has way more self-control than me.

Is this where I mention I love cilantro?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:21 am 

listeme wrote:
Offtopic :
Could you make an official post about what will change in the birfer cage? I'm a little worried about this :(

Nothing is going to change in the birfer cage, either. I damn near edited the posts about Stanley Ann doing pr0n, but by the time I found them it had been like 6 or 8 hours and everyone had seen them and bashed the crap out of him for posting them, so what's the point of editing them? It isn't like guests can see what's written in the birfer cage. You have to be a registered member and WANT to read birther posts, which means you're taking your chances.

If I had been on the board when he wrote those posts and seen them right away, I'd probably have zapped them with a "mod message" saying don't do that no more. I hope my mods will do the same.

This guy reminds me of KBOA ... when telling birfer lies didn't work, she became more and more irrational and abusive, until I was pretty much forced to bane her. I didn't haz a birfer cage back then, neither. This guy has gotten worse and worse, going from "I'm a poor black man who doesn't know anything about the birthers but I'm here to learn whether Orly Taitz is a man or a woman," to "Teenager With No Skills Or Credibility Says LFBC Is Fake!" to "Stanley Ann made pr0n in a three-way with Frank Marshall Davis". The more we prove he's full of shit, the more irrational and abusive he gets.

Some birthers quit as soon as I put them in the birfer cage. This one whined about it, then embraced it, and now he's just using it to spam us with teh nasty. With or without raicha, I'm about done with him, unless he can stick to the topic of ineligibility.

I didn't make her a mod to patrol the birfer cage and get tougher than the other mods. I didn't make her a mod to patrol any of the other areas of the forums and get tougher than the other mods. I made her a mod because she's smart and uses good judgment and knows when something should be edited or zapped for the good of the board. And she's a Left Coaster, so she can help them cover the later part of the day, seein' as how I go to bed about 6 p.m. their time.

That's how I became a mod originally, y'know. I got up WAY earlier than Justin or Brian, and they knew I had the best interests of PJ in mind, and they trusted me to cover and protect the board at times when they weren't online and weren't available. We were under attack by birthers way back then too, and I'd be up and on the lookout for stuff that might damage the board at 4:30 or 5:00 a.m. Eastern. Sometimes I'd lock threads or temporarily ban people, just long enough so they (the owners) could make a decision what to do.

That's what my mods can do, too. They can edit posts. They can issue warnings. They can delete posts. They can lock threads. They can ban people if necessary. If I'm not around and they see something that could damage Fogbow, they have the power to do whatever it takes to fix things until I catch up. But kate520 and realist have really moderated with a very light touch, and I have every expectation that raicha will do the same. We're not trying to rule with an iron fist here.

There's a fine line you have to walk with moderation. Too much, and you'll get all kinds of drama about censorship and favoritism and whatnot. Go check out the James Randi Educational Forum to see how awful that can get ... it looked to me like they have a lot of mods and a whole Mod Drama area of the board where you can protest anything the mods do to you, and get a ruling whether they were fair or not. They spend an enormous amount of time and resources on it, which appeals to me not even a little tiny bit.

Too little moderation, and you get flame wars. I was on a board with virtually no moderation. The flame wars got so ugly all the good people quit, and there's nothing left but flamers.

Justin taught me how to walk that fine line successfully, between too much and too little moderation. My mods and I interfere as little as humanly possible, and only to prevent flame wars and disclosure of personal information and inappropriate graphics and stuff like that. We assume you're all grownups, and we have rarely, if ever, felt that we've been let down. We give you all the freedom we can, and we have been rewarded for it. With freedom comes responsibility, and you've all been extremely responsible over the years. I still think we have the bestest group of Earthlings anywhere on the Toobz, and that includes the newcomers who have joined recently (except the birther newcomers).

So, bottom line in this official post is nothing's going to change, there will just be one more volunteer making sure nothing really changes. Does that answer the question, I hope? :hug:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:33 am 

Whew!

TYVM :D :hug:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:52 am 

This is ridiculous. Some folks need to be severely moderated. I mean, really, people, get really real!

Cilantro IS food, excellent food, lip-smacking good food!

• My friends, it is solidarity of labor we want. We do not want to find fault with each other, but to solidify our forces and say to each other: “We must be together; our masters are joined together and we must do the same thing.”
  • Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living.
—Mother Jones

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:12 am 

Little known fact, although I wouldn't be at all surprised if everyone here knows it:

Coriander=ground cilantro seeds

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:21 am 

I have a very strong position on cilantro. But as a demonstration of my ability to exercise restraint as a moderator, I will not invoke rule 5 and delete all of the posts falsely claiming that cilantro is not a food.

Merely this:

[-X

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:30 pm 

raicha wrote:
I have a very strong position on cilantro. But as a demonstration of my ability to exercise restraint as a moderator, I will not invoke rule 5 and delete all of the posts falsely claiming that cilantro is not a food.

Merely this:

[-X

Yep....I think this new greenie is gonna work out okay! =D> :lol: :xo

• My friends, it is solidarity of labor we want. We do not want to find fault with each other, but to solidify our forces and say to each other: “We must be together; our masters are joined together and we must do the same thing.”
  • Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living.
—Mother Jones

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:41 pm 
Quote:
the übergenius with the gazillion IQ who should have been able to simply think us into subjection using the vast power of his ginormous brainbone.

Save this one as one of the funniest things ever posted here. =))

Re Cilantro: A little goes a long way in my book. I planted it in my garden once, it came back enmasse the following year, had it in samadges a lot that summer, then it didn't come back the next year, so I never bothered to buy more seeds. I wonder if I soaked some coriander seeds if they'd sprout? :-k

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:48 pm 

kimba wrote:
Quote:
the übergenius with the gazillion IQ who should have been able to simply think us into subjection using the vast power of his ginormous brainbone.

Save this one as one of the funniest things ever posted here. =))

Re Cilantro: A little goes a long way in my book. I planted it in my garden once, it came back enmasse the following year, had it in samadges a lot that summer, then it didn't come back the next year, so I never bothered to buy more seeds. I wonder if I soaked some coriander seeds if they'd sprout? :-k

I have used coriander seeds many times to grow cilantro in pots on the deck. You can get a better deal on the packages from a Mexican food store than using those from the supermarket. It's a good idea to plant them at intervals of two or three weeks to keep a supply of usable leaves as they tend to bolt, flower and make more seed really fast.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:40 pm 

Excellent choice. Congrats to Raicha.