Re: Oprah For President! :) 2020 #Oprah2020

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:57 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:59 am
maydijo wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:58 pm
vic wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:51 pm
Comparing Oprah to the current resident of the White House is a pretty low bar.
Yep. My own personal conspiracy theory is that this is an evil feline plot. The housecats of the world worked hard to get Trump into power. When the time is right and the universe itself hangs in the balance, our dark cat overlords will give us a choice: recognise them as our Lords and Masters and agree to enter into a state of perpetual servitude, and in exchange, they will save us all; or take our chances with Trump. As far as I'm concerned there is really no choice. Would Master like more catnip?
The only problem with that theory is that we're already in a state of perpetual servitude to them.
Cats? UNITED????????? Scientifically impossible!

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:56 am

The Guardian: Oprah Winfrey: one of the world's best neoliberal capitalist thinkers

¡Qué vergüenza!

bob

Post by bob » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:15 pm

HuffPo: Ivanka Trump’s Tone-Deaf Praise For Oprah’s Speech Didn’t Go Over Well
Unsurprisingly, acidic responses to Ivanka’s tweet came pouring in, as public figures, celebrities, journalists and advocates pointed out the hypocrisy of the message and called on the president’s daughter to support the women accusing her father of harassment, misconduct and assault.

Imagex5 Imagex2 Imagex3 Imagex2

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:59 am

CNN wants a celebrity President.... just not this celeb

http://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/08/opini ... bottomlist
Oprah would make an exceptional president
Sally Kohn

By Sally Kohn, CNN Political Commentator

"Sally Kohn is a CNN political commentator and the author of the forthcoming book "The Opposite of Hate" (April 10, 2018). Follow her on Twitter: @sallykohn. The opinions expressed in this commentary are hers."

(CNN)In the hours after Oprah Winfrey's inspiring speech at the Golden Globe Awards, CNN's Brian Stelter reported that friends close to Oprah have said she is "actively thinking" about running for president in 2020. And progressives, like me, could not be happier.

To be clear, progressives have spent much of the last two years lamenting the idea of a billionaire TV star sitting in the Oval Office -- and for good reason. Donald Trump has repeatedly demonstrated himself to be a narcissist with no interest in learning about the nuances of policy, let alone government.

Elitism, ignorance and selfishness are always dangerous variables in political leadership. Trump, perhaps unique among any leader in modern political history, possesses all three. Even his strongest allies can hopefully admit his presidency has been sloppy and shortsighted. That, in fact, is putting it gently.

Oprah deserves her own category for most things in life -- and this is no different. There are TV stars and movie producers and charitable leaders and public intellectuals -- and then there's Oprah. Her singular ability to connect with people of all walks of life and build empires to help them, especially those most marginalized, is unparalleled.
:brickwallsmall:

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:12 am

Oprah is about Oprah, always. She's a LOT smarter than 45, reads, and is willing to learn. That doesn't make her qualified to be president. I appreciate that she started out with a tough life and overcame a lot. I don't think she ever forgot where she came from, but at some point she crossed a line that made her think that she knew a lot more than other people because of that. And I think she thinks she's some kind of special because of that.

While she's got a lot of liberal leanings, she has also shown an inclination to some loony stuff.

I've also read over the years that people who have worked with or for her don't always come away with kind feelings for her.

Would I vote for her over 45? Yes. But I hope it NEVER comes to that. We are already in enough trouble in this country.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:28 am

AndyinPA wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:12 am
:snippity:
I've also read over the years that people who have worked with or for her don't always come away with kind feelings for her.
:snippity:
I remember reading all about how vicious she could be. I also recently heard an interview where she talked about having done things poorly and learned from it, etc. I wondered at the time if this was what she was talking about, she never did say specifically what she was talking about.

I agree. I think it's a terrible idea. I objected to Trump for many reasons, not the least of which is that it's ridiculous to think a person can step into the job of US President with absolutely no experience in government. It's not enough to have owned a company where one of your employees filled out permitting paperwork down at city hall.

I believe the right wing media has a great deal of culpability in diminishing the office of President. It's a natural outcome of the relentless and repeated disrespect they showed Obama for eight years. And when nothing happened to the asshole that yelled "liar" during Obama's State of the Union address, well, that was disgusting. He should have had a very harsh and public formal dressing down/censure by Congress. It's been "over" for a long time.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:08 pm

I've known Oprah for over 25 years, we have the same birthday (coming up 1/29) and she has been a great friend, mentor and role model. She's given literally tens of thousands of people jobs, and millions of people hope. She's given millions to charity, opened an incredible school in South Africa for women, and continues to be one of America's most loved and respected women.

So I'm amazed at the suggestion by some implying some Americans shouldn't run for President. Isn't that what we've been fighting for since 2009? Who doesn't think Oprah has experience with the struggles of Americans? Or how important Oprah's endorsement was for President Obama? Was President Obama's resume more substantial than Oprah's? Black women are the Democrat's #1 constituency. Dismissing Oprah and her fans is helpful to whom exactly? I think the more people who run the better. At the very least, she'll open the conversation to many issues that might be overlooked, and her personal popularity is worth millions in free publicity.

My suggestion to her is to help candidates in 2018, pick some issues to weigh in on, and see how it goes. If she does run, I think she can place in Iowa and New Hampshire, and she can win South Carolina. Oprah has the potential to do really well in the red southern states, Mississippi, Alabama, many of the HRC states but with real energy and love from the people.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:16 pm

I have no problem with Oprah running for president. I just think she should spend some time in another elective office, or at least an appointed position, first.

And as far as the suggestion that I think that "some Americans shouldn't run for President," yeah, I'm proudly guilty. I think that no American should run unless he or she has prior experience with the mechanics of government. I fail to see how that is in any way incompatible with anything we've been fighting for ever.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:13 pm

I cannot say “No!!!” until I know who the Democratic alternative might be. As most Fogbowers know, I think it must not be HRC.

I was suspicious of the Franken candidacy, but he turned out to be better than fine until a silly and highly inappropriate act caught up with him.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:02 pm

Oprah Could Be Great for the Democrats. In 2018.

Stop wasting all your energy worrying about the presidency. It’s the Senate that has the real power, and celeb clout can help there, too.

By JEFF GREENFIELD January 10, 2018

The frenzy about an Oprah run for president was as predictable as it is misplaced—not because it concerns the estimable Ms. Winfrey, but because it reminds us once again that our collective obsession with the presidency ignores where the really consequential power lies. If we grasp that basic fact about American political life, we can find where Oprah can make a huge difference—this year.

Given President Donald Trump’s capacity to capture 99.8 percent of media attention at any given moment, it makes superficial sense to see Trump’s election as the key to hugely significant political change, and to see a possible Oprah run in 2020 as the next one. But when you look at what has changed in the Year of Trump, it becomes clear that the really significant election was what happened in the United States Senate. Had Democrats managed to capture the chamber in 2016, much, indeed most, of what Trump has accomplished would never have happened at all—which is why Democrats, and maybe even Oprah herself, should focus right now on 2018, not 2020.
But for me, the most urgent political question is whether Democrats can retake the Senate next year. While the capture of the House is more probable, the significantly greater power of the Senate is where much of the change that has taken place under Trump will accelerate or grind to a virtual halt. And this is where Oprah comes in. She is the one figure in public life whose presence in communities around the country could make a significant difference in voter turnout. With her money, her fame and her drawing power, Winfrey could spend the next 10 months organizing public events to spur voter registration. She can bring celebrities of all sorts to her side in cities all across America, from Ashtabula to Zebulon. And she can make sure—with her own resources and others—that the logistics are in place to keep an aggressive voter registration effort alive long after she leaves.

This can all be done on a non-partisan, tax-exempt basis; but given the fact of political life that Democratic-inclined voters are less likely to cast midterm votes, an Oprah-centric voter registration campaign such as this will inevitably mean more Democratic votes will be cast. (As a side benefit, this effort will help Ms. Winfrey learn whether she has the stomach for a presidential campaign.)
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... 018-216271

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:16 pm

Orlylicious wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:02 pm

Stop wasting all your energy worrying about the presidency. It’s the Senate that has the real power, and celeb clout can help there, too.

By JEFF GREENFIELD January 10, 2018

The frenzy about an Oprah run for president was as predictable as it is misplaced—not because it concerns the estimable Ms. Winfrey, but because it reminds us once again that our collective obsession with the presidency ignores where the really consequential power lies. If we grasp that basic fact about American political life, we can find where Oprah can make a huge difference—this year.

Given President Donald Trump’s capacity to capture 99.8 percent of media attention at any given moment, it makes superficial sense to see Trump’s election as the key to hugely significant political change, and to see a possible Oprah run in 2020 as the next one. :snippity:

Back in 2000, when Australia had a referendum about becoming a Republic, the Republic vote lost - not because Australians don't want it (indeed, at the time, something like 90% of Australians wanted a Republic) but because this celebrity-as-head-of-state model was the proposed model. You don't want a head of state (let alone a head of government) who is a celebrity. That denigrates the role and by extension the country. The head of state/head of government should be someone (or someones) with real political and government experience.

If the Trump debacle has shown me anything, it's shown me that this is one way the parliamentary system is far superior to the presidential system.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:20 pm

Orlylicious wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:02 pm

:snip:

This can all be done on a non-partisan, tax-exempt basis; but given the fact of political life that Democratic-inclined voters are less likely to cast midterm votes, an Oprah-centric voter registration campaign such as this will inevitably mean more Democratic votes will be cast. (As a side benefit, this effort will help Ms. Winfrey learn whether she has the stomach for a presidential campaign.)
That's something I can get behind 100%.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Lunaluz
Occupation: Bean Counter for Boeing Commercial. You break it I find a way to fix it.

Post by Lunaluz » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:59 pm

No more Celebrity Presidents Not even Mother Teresa (if she was living). Celebs live in another world. NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!

DrIrvingFinegarten

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:45 pm

A lot of conservatives are posting photos of her at different events with Harvey Weinstein and Donald Trump. The idea being that she is somehow an enabler or it calls into question her judgement or credibility.

Or it just means she took a picture with somebody.

Does she have some explaining to do about those photos?

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:47 pm

DrIrvingFinegarten wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:45 pm
A lot of conservatives are posting photos of her at different events with Harvey Weinstein and Donald Trump. The idea being that she is somehow an enabler or it calls into question her judgement or credibility.

Of course she does. If she runs she will immediately lose 40% of the American public. And the other 60% will be bombarded with these photos and her support of junk science and loons like Dr. Phil and Dr. Oz. Not a pretty picture.

DrIrvingFinegarten

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:57 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:47 pm

Of course she does. If she runs she will immediately lose 40% of the American public. And the other 60% will be bombarded with these photos and her support of junk science and loons like Dr. Phil and Dr. Oz. Not a pretty picture.

Is it possible that she is an enabler of Weinstein?

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:01 pm

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:57 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:

Dunno. But she'll have to deal with those claims.

DrIrvingFinegarten

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:05 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:01 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:

It's just the normal guilt by association rubbish.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:07 pm

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:05 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:

Even if she is, isn't it worse to actually sexually assault women (like, oh, I don't know, maybe Trump) than to enable it?

DrIrvingFinegarten

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:09 pm

maydijo wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:07 pm
Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:05 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:

Even if she is, isn't it worse to actually sexually assault women (like, oh, I don't know, maybe Trump) than to enable it?
Exactly.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:58 pm

(1) Listening to Oprah's Golden Globes speech I did not hear her indicate any sort of presidential (or political office) aspirations.
(2) We've had such luck with TV stars in the WH .... I am sure, absolutely sure, that the Democrats (and even the Republicans) can come up with better candidates, experienced in govt operations and maybe international affairs, and the real world.

As for photos of people meeting with either Trump or Weinstein - how do you suppose those people figured out that something was wrong with either of them? by ouija board?

DrIrvingFinegarten

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:34 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:58 pm
(1) Listening to Oprah's Golden Globes speech I did not hear her indicate any sort of presidential (or political office) aspirations.
(2) We've had such luck with TV stars in the WH .... I am sure, absolutely sure, that the Democrats (and even the Republicans) can come up with better candidates, experienced in govt operations and maybe international affairs, and the real world.

As for photos of people meeting with either Trump or Weinstein - how do you suppose those people figured out that something was wrong with either of them? by ouija board?

With Weinstein, the school of thought is that if you're Oprah, one of the most powerful people in show business, she had to know what was going on with Weinstein and her being in photos with him shows a lack of judgement or that she condones his actions or something.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:22 pm

Fake journalist Jonathan Pie

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:41 am

Thank goodness - she's not going to run.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Return to “Presidential Election”