Democratic National Committee (2020)

Mikedunford

Re: Democratic National Committee (2020)

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:28 pm

The DNC might have problems, but the state party in Virginia just kicked epic ass. It's a good reminder that the existing parties are important.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:41 am

Mikedunford wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:28 pm
The DNC might have problems, but the state party in Virginia just kicked epic ass. It's a good reminder that the existing parties are important.
Which should be even more motivation to address the DNC's problems -- so they can kick epic ass in 2018 and 2020 too. also.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:26 am

The Hill
Dems mull big changes after Brazile bombshell

Democratic senators are talking about wholesale change to their party’s rules in the wake of Donna Brazile’s explosive allegations about the 2016 presidential primary. ...

Democratic senators are hesitant to air their disagreements about how to overhaul the party’s structure but say there are vigorous discussions happening behind the scenes. ...

Some say the most important step for Democrats to take is to eliminate superdelegates — the senior party officials and members of Congress who are not bound by the results of voting in their states. ...

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), who was a strong Clinton backer, has called for eliminating superdelegates, and few in the party publicly defend them.

Merkley said he’s not sure when party leaders will formally discuss reforms to the primary but said “it’s happening right now among many members” of Congress on an informal basis.

The DNC will hold a meeting in December where some reforms may be discussed, followed by a broader party meeting in February.

Merkley identified the February meeting as an opportunity to enact changes.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:21 am

Mikedunford wrote:
I noticed that many district elections, won by Republicans, had no Democratic candidate. I do remember reading about Howard Dean's 2006 push to put credible Democratic candidates in every possible election, so Democratic voters could vote for the party, even if there was no chance of winning.

It was a good strategy, in the opinion of this foreigner.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:25 am

The Dems will figure it out as long as they keep DWS as far away as possible.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:29 am

Grumpy Old Guy wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:21 am
Mikedunford wrote:
I noticed that many district elections, won by Republicans, had no Democratic candidate. I do remember reading about Howard Dean's 2006 push to put credible Democratic candidates in every possible election, so Democratic voters could vote for the party, even if there was no chance of winning.

It was a good strategy, in the opinion of this foreigner.
There were still too many uncontested seats, but there were a bunch fewer than last election cycle.

I absolutely agree that there's a need to get candidates everywhere, but recruiting for forlorn hope bands has always been difficult. Running for office requires a huge amount of work, and it's not easy to get good people to commit to take that on when there's no realistic hope of victory.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:37 am

Brazile is going on Tucker Carlson tonight. :sick: :bigvomit:

"Hold mah bier." - Jomas Thefferson

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:57 am

Foggy wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:37 am
I watched her Stephanopoulos interview. Sorry, Orly, she was articulate but evasive. Her favorite evasive lead-in was "George". She did that at least 5 times and danced around the rigging allegation. IMHO, she wants to be a whistleblower, victim, and stalwart shero. Is her motive money? She mentioned at least twice she was an unpaid volunteer.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:24 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:57 am
Foggy wrote:
I watched her Stephanopoulos interview. Sorry, Orly, she was articulate but evasive. Her favorite evasive lead-in was "George". She did that at least 5 times and danced around the rigging allegation. IMHO, she wants to be a whistleblower, victim, and stalwart shero. Is her motive money? She mentioned at least twice she was an unpaid volunteer.
I agree. It pains me to say it, I always liked her, not just a little bit either, I liked her a lot. I'm really ambivalent about her now, I want to give her the benefit of the doubt, but I don't know what to make of what she's doing now. And I agree, she was being evasive. I think the problem with selling a book is that you have to give listeners enough to believe that buying the book will get them some nice juicies, but not enough to actually give they juicy away for free. Because she made confusing statements - they rigged it, they didn't rig it. :confused:

I just don't think it's necessary for Democrats to continue fighting about 2016. Change can be expressed in a strictly positive way, without having to point fingers at the negative. Negativism works for Republicans, I have never seen it work for Democrats. Maybe in the sense that negative feelings about Trump helped bring out more voters.

FWIW - I think it would pay huge dividends for Democrats to work on the message of voter turnout - CONSTANTLY. Beat that drum to fucken death - voters need to be constantly reminded of what happens when Democrats do not come out to vote. And off-season/mid-terms are at least as important as presidential elections - because governors and state legislators can undermine everything - look at what red states did to Obamacare.

end of rant.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:29 am

RVInit wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:24 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:57 am
Foggy wrote:
I agree. It pains me to say it, I always liked her, not just a little bit either, I liked her a lot. I'm really ambivalent about her now, I want to give her the benefit of the doubt, but I don't know what to make of what she's doing now. And I agree, she was being evasive. I think the problem with selling a book is that you have to give listeners enough to believe that buying the book will get them some nice juicies, but not enough to actually give they juicy away for free. Because she made confusing statements - they rigged it, they didn't rig it. :confused:

I just don't think it's necessary for Democrats to continue fighting about 2016. Change can be expressed in a strictly positive way, without having to point fingers at the negative. Negativism works for Republicans, I have never seen it work for Democrats. Maybe in the sense that negative feelings about Trump helped bring out more voters.

FWIW - I think it would pay huge dividends for Democrats to work on the message of voter turnout - CONSTANTLY. Beat that drum to fucken death - voters need to be constantly reminded of what happens when Democrats do not come out to vote. And off-season/mid-terms are at least as important as presidential elections - because governors and state legislators can undermine everything - look at what red states did to Obamacare.

end of rant.
:like:

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:58 am

Brazile was interviewed again this morning on MSNBC. She was evasive about the "rigging" charge. Danced around it. Wanted to have it both ways, got called out on the words in her book which "discovered" the "rigging," and tried to claim it was something else. Bullshit.

She made a claim she now wants to disown and doesn't know how to do it. If it were me I would say that I was wrong or that that was not a felicitous phrase. But Brazile is showing the same kind of obstinance, lack of candor and avoidance of truth that is a cancer on our body politic.

I don't plan to buy the book, so I'm dead to her.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:04 pm

There will be hundreds of books written about the 2016 campaign and each of them will offend somebodies and receive criticism on facts. I'm not fond of the potboiler style and I think she could have waited a week. I also think Donna Brazile has a right to tell her story and sell her story in the way she thinks best, without being shunned by the party she's given her life to. IMHO

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:05 am

The Hill
DNC chief vows to make Dem primaries fair in 2020 ...

"I know that we have to do a better job as the Democratic Party in making sure that the process is fair," he added.

One of the steps he said the DNC would take to assure voters that the primary process is fair is to set the party's debate schedule before all the candidates have announced their bids, as previously reported by The Hill.

"Last time around there was a very strong sense that the primary debate schedule was set up in a way as to help one candidate over another," he said. "And we're not going to have that happen."

Perez also said that the party's success in future races will depend on its ability to build its own infrastructure. That includes its use of technology and organizing efforts. Last year, he said, the DNC had allowed its "basic infrastructure to degrade."

¡Qué vergüenza!

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:38 am

How to make it fair? Keep Debbie Wasserman Schultz as far away as possible.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:59 pm

Politico
Kaine calls for eliminating superdelegates

Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine is urging the Democratic National Committee to end its tradition of using superdelegates, which activists say diminish the influence of regular voters at the expense of party bigwigs in the presidential nominating process.

"I have long believed there should be no superdelegates. These positions are given undue influence in the popular nominating contest and make the process less democratic,” Kaine wrote in a letter Wednesday to DNC chairman Tom Perez, according to a copy obtained by POLITICO.

The plea from Kaine — himself a former DNC chairman, Hillary Clinton’s 2016 running mate, and a superdelegate — puts him on the side of many backers of Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, Clinton’s primary opponent in last year’s race for the White House. Under the current system, elected officials and influential party members get to cast a vote for their preferred presidential candidate with extra weight, regardless of how their state or district votes during the primary.

Pointing to the ongoing work of the Unity Reform Commission appointed last year to review and change the DNC’s nominating process, Kaine urged the group to recommend doing away with the superdelegate system altogether, and by extension encouraged Perez to adopt that proposal.

“I support the ongoing reform effort and write regarding one aspect of the Commission’s work,” he wrote in the letter.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:05 am

Concord Monitor
Battle over Democratic superdelegates dominates state party meeting ...

A majority of activists attending Saturday’s winter state committee meeting, held in Manchester, voted to hold a special meeting early next month, after the release of a report by the Democratic National Committee’s Unity Commission on super delegates and other hot button issues that are dividing the party.

Kathy Sullivan, one of New Hampshire’s two committee members on the Democratic National Committee, was repeatedly questioned about superdelegates.

“You’re going to see changes,” said Sullivan, who sits on the national party’s influential Rules Committee.

Superdelegates are Democratic governors and members of Congress, along with state party chairs and vice chairs and other top national party officials. They are given special status to vote for the candidate of their choice in the party’s presidential nomination process, regardless of which candidate their state backed in the primary and caucus calendar. ...

Sullivan said she’s hearing that the Unity Commission may recommend a bifurcated superdelegate system, with elected officials free to vote for the presidential candidate of their choice. But party officials, who make up the bulk of the superdelegates, would be bound by the results of their state’s primary or caucus.

Sullivan, a former state party chair, said “a lot of us old school members are saying it is time for a change.”

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:33 pm

CNN OpEd - Tom Perez and Keith Ellison
How Democrats win the future

(CNN)Trust holds families together, and our Democratic family is no exception. As we enter the final meeting of the Democratic National Committee's Unity Reform Commission, where members will vote on proposals to reform the Democratic Party, we must focus on ensuring that voters across the nation trust our party.

As chair and deputy chair of the DNC, we are committed to ensuring that our party is inclusive, forward-looking and bold in prescribing an alternative to President Donald Trump's destructive policies and his politics of divisiveness and deception. We know Democrats can win big in 2018 and 2020, just as we did this year in New Jersey, Virginia and across the country -- but we know we can only do that by rebuilding trust with those who share our progressive vision for America and by addressing concerns many have raised in recent years.

Democrats can win big if we're united, and we know that can only happen by healing divisions that still linger from last year's bruising presidential nominating contest.

This has never been more important. This is one of the biggest stress tests our democracy has ever faced. Middle-class families and the working poor have not shared in the Wall Street boom. The Koch brothers and their band of ultra-conservative billionaire friends continue to assert an already outsize influence on our elections.

Republicans are leading a coordinated, nationwide effort of voter suppression and partisan gerrymandering, both of which threaten the right of the American people to exercise power over their government and hold their representatives accountable. And there is growing evidence that the Russian government and the Trump campaign may have conspired to interfere with the 2016 election.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:37 pm

Haven't been able to share what they've been doing during the race but word is starting to get out. Respectfully encouraging everyone to support the DNC, changes are happening and they need financial support to build a 50 state strategy.

The DNC’s work in Alabama included over 1.3 million phone calls, 1 million text messages to voters and volunteers, and 325,000 door knocks, according to the official. In addition to distributing a mailer focused on voting rights, the national committee’s forces also organized vans to deliver college students to voter registration offices and then to the polls.
https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/ ... nes-293496

From Michael Moore: RESISTANCE CALENDAR! A one-stop site for all anti-Trump actions EVERY DAY nationwide: http://resistancecalendar.org

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:38 pm

:notworthy: :thumbs:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Return to “Presidential Election”